1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Burnout while waiting

Mar 6, 2010

1. It gets easier after your first doll :D

I've also found that having a doll on layaway feels different than just ordering a doll and settling back to wait. With layaway, I have the feeling that I have some measure of control over the wait time. Like it depends on MY ability to make a monthly payment rather than waiting for the doll to be made. I know it's just psychological, but layaway dollies are so much easier to wait for :)

Now is the perfect time to build their wardrobe and buy them toys and other things to "own"...before you know it, you'll doll will be here and you'll be planning for the next one!

2. I think I maybe suffering with burnout with my dolls since I am not working, however that may change soon, I have been getting a different type of doll lately and hubby approves of them. I really hope the ones I do have coming will get here soon.

3. I was afraid that this would happen to me when I ordered my Soom Glot and all the delays started happening. I waited about six months for her to arrive, but in that time, I stayed busy ordering wigs and eyes for her, trying out some Yo-SD sized patterns so she'd have clothes ready, drawing her, and working on a story about her character. I think if I hadn't done that, I might've lost interest in her while waiting for her to come, but since I kept doing things related to her, I stayed excited about her throughout the long wait. She's home now, of course, and I love her so much! She was definitely worth waiting for. :)

4. Waiting is part of this whole hobby, sadly. There's planning, saving, plunging, waiting, arriving, enjoying...though it doesn't always work that way. I don't think three weeks is too bad, as long as you pace yourself. The longest I had to wait from payment to actual arrival was 5 or 6 weeks. Knowing it would take that long sort-of helped, and I found other things to bide my time so I didn't concentrate on not having my doll here. I think it is the unseen delays, then the extended delays, then some other uncontrollable force causing another delay, that can cause the true burn-out for folks. By the time the arrival finally occurs, the feelings toward a doll can really change. I really hope that doesn't happen for you! :)

5. I don't think I experienced a burnout. The worst waiting time for me was for my first doll from Luts, somewhere between 2 to 3 months. Then again looking back, it was very exciting preparing his clothes, finding the right wig, and just getting ready for the big day when he would arrive. I did kinda cheat though. In the middle of waiting and by impulse, I bought a YoSD from somebody and the little girl arrived practically a couple days later (So yeah...technically she was my first doll). Having a doll while waiting for another one definitely helps the waiting process. The other times I had to wait weeks or months for my other dolls weren't nearly as excruciating and time almost went by so fast.

6. My first doll, I was constantly too eager to him. I kept checking my inbox and trying to figure out how long it would take to ship. I even paid my layaway off super early because I was so eager. My second doll, which was a much longer wait. I barely notice. It was only after the full payment came out of my bank account, and I was about to report fraud that remembered I bought a second doll. :sweat What a difference a second doll makes.

7. I was completely burned out on my Brownies, I got to the stage where I didn't even want them and wanted to cancel the order- but I did love them and was excited to death once I took them out of their boxes! I'm feeling the same way about my Ange Ais, I'd pretty much cancel them if I could, but I'm hoping the same miracle will happen once they're here.

It would be much easier if companies gave realistic shipping times, so you knew approximately how long to wait in advance. It would kill a lot of frustration if you knew for sure it would be X weeks or months going in.

8. I don't mean to vent but here we go:

I haven't really had problems waiting for any doll items with 2 exception.

1: Soom's Sard. The waiting period for him was extremely difficult for me because it was very long (almost 6 months I think) and I felt burned out during the process. Seeing some people who have used layaway receiving their Sard before I did (I paid in full and I ordered him right after he was released) made me feel even worse about the waiting. I feel it was not fair for Soom to do this to their customers. I was so bothered by the process of this whole thing by the time he arrived, I had no feelings for him anymore. I was not excited to receive him, and even after I opened the box, I just took a quick look at him to make sure nothing was broken, then I just close the lid and put him away in my closet. -_- In the end I sold him. I did not want him anymore.

2. Custom and face-up job for a head. I send a head out to an artist for customization and face-up. I've had this idea for this head for a long time. He was to have his eye modded and scarring done + face-up. I was happy to find the artist who could do it for me. However....it took 6 months before he came back to me. The waiting was very hard because the artist did not communicate with me and whenever I try to talk to her on chatting programs, she acts as if she doesn't know what I wanted to talk to her about (which is bizarre in my opinion). I did not want to be difficult because I know it is not an easy job she is doing for me so I did not really rush her about it. However, I was told by some people that the artist was actually complaining about this commission in other chatrooms saying she doesn't want to work on him and that I was being annoying. WTH? On top of that, before the head was even done, Volks released Reisner the Scarface which has the same customization I had requested from this artist. That really upsets me all together. Eventually he came home to me. The job was good but I was still unhappy about the whole situation.

Other than these 2 times, I have been dealing with the waiting well. :sweat

9. I'm kind of burned out waiting for some urethane eyes, but I've never burned out waiting for a doll. I get seriously TWITCHY about it, but I haven't burned out. I'm always happy to see them when they get here! Mind you, I've only ever had a normal sort of waiting period - 2 months, maybe 3 tops, and in that case a layaway was involved. If my Chalco is super slow to get to me, I mayyyy go crazier than normal *L*.

I think a big part of being able to deal with it, though, is related to what Izam was talking about. If there's communication and you trust the company/seller, it's easier to handle. I know it's just me being my hyper-impatient self. If there's no communication, then I get more neurotic about it.

10. Yes, totally. To me, I need to follow my ideas when they are fresh, when I have the impulse and the creativity to make the plans real. I invest a lot of time and work customizing the dolls, and to be able to do it, I need to feel energetic and motivated about it. In several ocassions, the waiting times have been so excruciatingly long (I've waited six, seven, and up to nine months for some dolls), that by the time they arrived, another thing caught my attention and a newer, fresher idea was on my head. This is cosntantly happening to me, and it is seriously a bummer that I can never follow up the ideas that the new releases put in my head; by the time that the brand new doll on the shop will reach me, it will be 'old stuff'. There is no way to be fresh and creative this way...

11. I'm getting there. Or maybe it's more depression than burnout. As Izam pointed out, the worst part is seeing all the other dolls ship while you sit and watch the months crawl by. Unfortunately, mine's a split and I didn't place the order and have no way of contacting the company to ask what is going on. It's depressing because some friends chipped in for part of the split as a gift. I've tried disracting myself by doing other things, but it doesn't work for long. I cling to the hope that when I finally see his beautiful face that it will melt away the depression.

In the future, I'll wait for things to show up in the MP or order from a US retailer. It's just not worth the frustration.

12. With my first doll the waiting was hell, but I got used to it by now seeing as much as my resin family grew the past year. The most frustrating time for the wait is when my dolls are being held back by customs. Currently I have 2 girls in customs since the 4th of this month and it wont be for another week or longer till they will be set free. All I can do is check EMS tracking every day with an update for my girls and pray for the best.

13. I burnt out watching the order date for a minime head get pushed further and further back. It helped to have the same character in an off topic but the longer I had to wait the more I had to realize I didn't need a big one.

Otherwise I've survived the wait. The longest seem to be for the smallest dolls as I wait for tiny group orders to arrive. Did have to wait 3 months for prize heads but that was different as I hadn't picked them out or paid anything for them.

14. I remain excited about and don't mind waiting for dolls provided I can get answers to my inquiries. I only seem to experience burn-out when company reps don't answer my questions or outright lie. I realize things happen, and sometimes companies get slowed down by holidays, illnesses, weather, etc, but when I can't even get a simple explanation for a delay I go from being frustrated by the company to ambivalent about the doll pretty fast.

15. Its really boring to wait... even more when I cannot do anything for those that are arriving becasue I have not a doll of the same size to use as model to make clothing....

It would help if I could buy stuff for them but I cannot so its even longer XP

So I just concentreate on something else.... Or think about what I will do when they will arrive and just daydream while doing something else XD
      The closer I get to having them... the more impatient I get > w<

16. I'm really really bad at waiting... four times now I've waited longer than I was expecting for a doll and it ruins it for me... all four have been rehomed within two weeks. :(

I'm trying to stick to the marketplace from now on!

17. I've been waiting for over two months and it's driving me (almost) crazy :D
      I hope it gets easier in time as I'm already planning to get more dolls ;-)

18. I don't get burned out while waiting at all... :sweat I love to online shop lol. The longer it takes, the more shopping around I can do instead of being like, "Oh no! She's here now, I have to decide on something to buy right now so she's not naked!".

19. My minime MSD Ed Elric head arrived last week.

I sent the money for him on april 15th, 2009.

I'm burned out on him. I have no love for him at all at the moment, though I'm sure that would change with eyes, wig, face up, body, I just can't afford to get them for him right now - perhaps after Kitacon. I keep eyeing all his flaws and regretting it - though the money doesn't matter so much to me since it was spent so long ago, so I dunno.

I'm also waiting on two pukis right now. I've wanted my pongpong for about a year - since I got Rudepuki - and the wait is killing me. The thirty days is up tonight, so I can at least ask if I don't see any movement on the website tonight.

20. Waiting is hard, but I usually just take a breather and do other things. Like several others have said, I start focusing on other hobbies, watch a movie or the television, then maybe work on some of my other projects. It helps balance me out and keeps me from focusing too much on the waiting/preparing.