1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

But ... she just GOT there! >__<

Sep 25, 2008

1. That's an interesting idea, to keep a log book like that. My brother lives in a gorgeous 19th century farmhouse and the previous owners gathered all these old articles and photographs of the house together to give to him when he bought it. What he did then was to take "mirroring" pictures of the house, to show the changes in different sections from then to now (there are a lot of them). He hung the pictures of how it originally looked on one side of the foyer hall, and the matching "now" pictures right across on the other side, for people to look at when they visit.

It'd be neat to keep then and now pictures of dolls in the same manner (well, not to hang in the foyer hallway, but you know).

2. I've had this problem with Blythe collectors. I think what bothers me most is when they've pretended to be SO IN LOVE with the doll, and it's a specifically gorgeous stock doll that I've tamed the hair of just perfectly, just to turn around and completely customize it and resell it. D:

3. think that your doll will find someone that deserves her more than this rude person.

4. well i once did it myseld :sweat
      i bought a MNF head. and a few weeks after it got here i realized: WTF i dont want a MSD girl!! D:<
      so i put her back for sale. but i was kinda sad to do it. i did not bound with her but im the kind of person who gets attached to inanimate things. i kinda believe that it'll be sad )':
      its just a head, but i gave her a name
      the sales did not go well so i still have it... im trying to sell it to my friends though (im very cheap, i keep counting my money XD)
      i dont think it would made her original owner sad to know about that since it was a event head. the person did not want it :/

i know if I was selling a doll and then the person sold it right back i'd be sad cuz i cant even think of selling my dolls, I LOVE THEM TOO MUCH!

5. Yep...I've been ALL over this situation. Years ago I sold a doll and (nearly a year later...probably hormones >.<) I started missing her dreadfully. I contacted the buyer offering twice the price I'd sold the doll for to buy her back, and was refused. Well, I got over it.

Now, I recently bought a doll and the original owner seemed to be having seperation anxiety. Although I really love the doll I offered to reverse the sale if she wanted the girl back. She thanked me but refused (happily).

And just before that I won a Ryoya Kanoe. From the photos I thought he was really for me, but when I opened the box I knew right away that he wasn't. I dressed him, tried a couple of wigs...it was all a major bummer and I knew it absolutely from the moment I took off his bubble wrap. (And isn't it nice that Volks is using bubble wrap these days?)

So I traded Ryoya for another doll who was IT absolutely, from the moment of his exit from the box and into my arms.

Moral of the story? The dolls usually end up where they belong. Have a cup of tea, maybe some cake, and have faith.

6. I think that sums it up. Once you've sold something, whether or not they sell it again is entirely up to them for whatever reason.

7. I sympathize with your attachment to your doll but as a person who has bought and sold several dolls I've purchased in my search for the right character of mine, I can honestly say that I don't think the person who purchased your doll meant any malice. I always feel terrible that I can't bond with a doll and even though I may love the doll, if doesn't fit the character I wanted it for I have to rehome it. This hobbie is just too expensive for me to keep dolls I like and am not in love with. The plus side is that the girl who purchased your doll (being in the hobby) will be looking for just as good a home as you had been looking for your doll and the next one may be the right one for her.

8. I get that it was a business transaction but I definately do not think you were overreacting. You have emotional attachments and then you were given the idea by that person that they would really love it. But they turn around and sell it on you then using your picture. I personally would not allow them to use the picture and tell them to be more tactful about transactions next time.

9. I think its because dolls kind of become like your children, and selling them means hopefully sending them away to loving homes, so you feel less bad about sending them away.

But in the end, they are toys. Go play with the ones you do have, figure out what you need to use your newly-earned money for, and then go look at new dolls. A little time, and you'll successfully separate.

10. I've only ever sold one of my dolls and even though I wasn't bonding with her it still wasn't particularly easy to let her go. Her new owner seemed very excited to get her. A few months after that I came across a thread on here where the doll was being sold again. It just made me feel kind of weird in a way that's hard to describe. I know these are dolls and not people but seeing a doll I had once owned being sold for a second time just made me kind of sad.

11. I've read all the way through this thread from the start to this point and I have to say that after reading all this, I think I will have to start viewing DoA sellers differently from now on then I have in the past. This has been a very educational experience. :) When I buy and sell, I've always considered it a formal transaction while it seems many users here think of it differently. I'm not sure I could do 'business' with someone who didn't view it the same. I think now I'll know what kinds of sellers to look out for or avoid. I'd hate to be made to feel like the bad guy because I did something with my purchased property the seller didn't like. *_* No matter which doll it is or how good the deal is, it wouldn't be worth it for me if that's something I had to deal with.

12. I've been through the exact same thing, bought a doll realized he wasn't for me, sold him (threw in a few freebies too), and found out that he was just put straight back up on the market. I didn't find out about it, until he was already in his third home, I thought some of the freebies in his box opening thread looked familar and followed the trail of threads back. I wasn't hurt at all, I was glad he had a home.
      The only thing that did bug me was not knowing if the third owner had been ripped off. I had reduced his price a fair bit, and it really made me wonder if they had just bought him with the intention of making a profit, which wouldn't sit right with me, but I didn't bother asking, and I guess I'll never know. Oh well, whatever the price was the third owner clearly thought that it was worth it to get him, so I guess I'm just glad that everyone involved is happy :)

13. I agree. My obligation to a seller ends once I have paid them. How absurd would it be if I wanted a detailed account of how they spent the money I paid them?

14. i don't ever have a problem with this, as it has happened to me several things. i understand that when a doll doesn't fit what a person wants it's totally fine for them to sell it. i have been on both sides of this and have not had any grief over it, although i would be annoyed with someone using my pictures, THAT i do have an issue with ^^

15. If I need to re-home a doll, the faster the better. I can detach better and then I can easily allow the doll to move on as it needs to. If they have to be re-sold, so be it. I don't know what's happened to any of my dolls since I've sold them, with one partial exception. In this case, I did have a buyer who waffled on buying, decided against buying, came back and wanted to buy her, and then as soon as she got the doll asked if I wanted to buy her back. She was very nice, but the situation surprised me a little. I now sorta wish I had bought her back, but if she sold her on, that was her choice and not mine. I've never felt like I should have bought a doll back other than that one time, but I tend to think it was because the situation was slow and stretched out instead of quickly ripping off the sale bandage.

The use of a previous seller's photos though, that part lacks taste. At least take your own photos to represent what you'd like to sell.

16. I definitely don't feel the same. I might be a little irked if my ex-doll was instantly gouged with an exacto and chewed on by a dog but even then, it doesn't trigger an emotional response. I sold the doll. I exchanged it for cash, and thus I can't have an attachment to it anymore.

For people thinking, "Why didn't she give it more time?", I can say for a fact that some people can know the instant they see a doll that it isn't for them. My Minifee Chloe arrived and I knew within around 10 minutes of having her out of the box that I didn't want her, and she was on the Marketplace by evening. The buyer has no obligation to cherish the doll, it's theirs to do with as they wish. Keeping an attachment to it once you've sold it isn't good because in this hobby, posessions get exchanged a lot and you're just exposing yourself to heartache if you long for the doll to be loved again as you loved it. There's no guarantee that it'll ever be loved again. Sad, but true. :(

17. I've had someone buy a doll on layaway and she sent a few chatty PMs about how excited the buyer was to get this doll and even paid the layaway off early when she could. A few days after the doll arrived it was up for sale again. I thought it was strange as it contradicted the impression I got from the buyer, but it's none of my business. It's not that I don't care, but it's still none of my business what the new owner does with their property and I have other things to worry about than other people's choices regarding their own dolls.

I've bought a few dolls second hand and I don't post a lot of pictures of my dolls. I guess it will be hard for ex-owners to find out what I do with their ex-dolls, but if I had to worry about what a previous owner would think if I did X or Y with my doll, I'd go nuts.

18. Wow, I'm with Rikka_Mika here and I'm gonna be a lot more careful about who I buy dolls from in future >.< Or at least be clearer that no matter how excited I may be about getting a doll there's a fair chance that I'll know right away if they're not right for my home and sell them on *_*

I've had dolls that I have pined over for aggggggges and ages, scrimped and saved and layawayed for and then when they arrive I just feel..... meh. I tend to get an instant connection with a photo of a doll and then another zap of connection when the doll arrives. If I don't feel that connection then while I will usually give the doll some time to adjust, I pretty much find that I don't bond with the doll. If someone were to turn around the day the doll arrived and sell a doll I sold to them I would completely understand.

This hobby is so based on pictures and descriptions it's really hard to be able to say 100% that you will love something forever when you get it in hand. I've had dolls that have had me bouncing around with glee over only for them to arrive and me feel really... nothing. Even if you've played with the exact same doll you can't say for sure that it'll be the same when you get one of your own - it may be that specific doll you like, not the mould or size. Better to put the doll up for sale immediately and have it go to someone who will bond with it than have it sit neglected in their home for weeks or months then go up for sale. I know that I've definitely been over the moon excited over getting a doll and had to sell it after receiving it and realising it's not for me. Minifees, for example, and I don't get along. I love Fairyland sculpts, I love Minifee bodies, but I just don't get along with owning them. Same goes for a lot of tiny and LE dolls - tinies tend to just be an odd inbetweeny size that I can't get used to and LEs are just too... precious. >.<

I can understand the feeling of wanting a doll to go to a good home - every time I sell to someone and their PMs are really enthusiastic etc I'm always so happy to think that the doll's going to a really good home with someone who will really appreciate them. But on the other hand I don't want that doll to sit neglected if the bonding doesn't happen and once I've made the decision to sell the doll I distance myself emotionally just on the off chance that I'll regret the sale. The one time I didn't do this... I've regretted it ever since :sweat But that was more me kicking myself for selling a doll I loved than anything else :XD:

19. Yeah, I've done that before- I've sold a doll that was later extensively modded, stripped of all the extras I sent, and then resold- the person who bought it hadn't even recognized the fact that I sent several extras that weren't included in the sales thread. We get really emotionally attached to the dolls we have, even if we sell them. I had that doll for at least three years, and I had a lot of good memories wth her, so of course I was sad to see that the next owner didn't like her. Even if I didn't play with her enough to justify keeping her, I wanted her to find someone who would!

Of course none of us have the right to demand that someone pays you and plays by your rules. On the counter, I knew a woman who had upwards of 150 BJD. I asked her how she could really love and play with them all... and she said she couldn't even name what sculpts she had. But she was very proud that she had never sold a doll, while she would pose her LE volks dolls in windows in direct sunlight and leave them there until their default clothes were faded... she had Unoa kits in boxes, unassembled and unstrung and never touched, but she was so proud she never sold a doll... She didn't need the money, and so she got to keep all these pretties without needing to sell them. At least your doll has a chance of being loved in the next home... :)

20. I ultimately don't care what happens to a doll when it's left my possession. Feed it to your trash compactor, send it to the worst artist you can find to paint it, dress it in nothing but banana stickers and spaghetti. I don't care. Not my property. Of course it is always nice to have a buyer who is enthusiastic, has great plans for them, will take lots of photos, etc.

I don't bond with dolls. I like a couple a whole lot, and some have sentimental value, but from day one of them being in my house, I know that there's a good chance they'll leave one day and I shouldn't waste my time getting upset about it. Before they even have a chance to be sold, much less listed, I really don't care what happens to them or who they end up with.

A couple years back, I put my favorite doll's head on the market. I received very generous offers on it but ultimately I sold it to a friend, since I knew their type of collection and that I'd likely see some nice photos of it on the boards later. A while after the sale, I happened upon her profile and noticed that she had wiped the faceup that I adored from an artist who no longer takes commissions, and that after repainting him he had been sold on to a new owner. While I know the common DoA mentality would be to become insulted/hurt that their friend repainted an already gorgeous doll and then sold it anyway (probably at a loss due to current market values), I really couldn't give a hoot. When another doll I sold got 'finished up' and the end result was stunning and gorgeous, and she likely sold for a fair deal more in the long run... I also didn't care! If one lingers on all of the "what ifs", there is no time to appreciate what has been, and no time to explore new, realistic possibilities.