1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

But ... she just GOT there! >__<

Sep 25, 2008

1. I have sold a lot of dolls, and never had this happen to my knowledge except once. I did a trade with a girl who several times tried to flake after we had made our agreement, but in the end the trade went through and I got my dream doll, however I was really pissed when shortly thereafter I saw the doll I sold up for sale. I was not pissed because she was for sale, also not because they used my photos for the sale, no I was pissed because the new owner modified (read ruined) the faceup then stated in her sale thread that the faceup was done by the past owner (me) and was not very good! I was livid! I don't care what you do with a doll after you buy it from me, just don't blame me for it!

Overall though I can understand the attachment, but in the end it is a transaction. When selling you really need to be sure it is what you want to do and that you are comfortable with all aspects of the sale, or you could regret it later.

On another note...I did read on here once a story about a member selling their doll, then regretting it, then some time later buying a doll of the same sculpt off another member all together, only to discover it was in fact that particular beloved doll come home again, after several trades and changes of ownership.

2. I can understand how it leaves you with an odd feeling when you sell something to someone, only to see it immediately sold again to someone else. I mean, they bought it, didn't they want it? It's a first thought, but it's never so simple. I always try to take a step back and look at it logically... to begin, they could have bought it for a number of reasons, all a mystery to me. Once the doll actually arrives, there are a thousand different ways in which what they thought they were buying differs from what they hold in their hands. Bottom line, a business transaction just took place, NOT an adoption. It is up to the buyer to do what they please with the dolls they buy.

3. This is why I only sell something if I'm sure I don't want it or I absolutely have to. The two times I sold a doll I never once regretted it or wanted it back. In fact, the first doll I ever sold I still sometimes as I sold her to a friend. She has a new name and look and personality, and it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I'm really happy as my friend enjoys her more than I ever did, so I'm glad I sold her to her. :) I haven't even thought to check up on the other doll I sold [on here] but I haven't seen it on the marketplace so I assume the person who bought her still has her. Of course, I only go to the marketplace when I'm looking for something or have spare money to browse with, so I could have easily missed a sale post. And honestly? If she's been sold again that's fine, I hope whoever ends up with her is happy; it has nothing to do with me any more though.

So, as general advice: if you don't have to sell and don't 100% want to yet; don't! You can always wait and sell later, but you can't undo a sale once you've done it, so it's best to be safe rather than sorry. When you do sell it should be a business transaction, not something emotional for you, so don't rush yourself in deciding to sell if you aren't totally sure you want to yet.

4. If I buy a doll from the MP to sell( I don't sell online, I sell at conventions), I always make sure to note to the seller that I am buying the doll to either display or possibly sell alongside my other "for sale" dolls, simply because I want to avoid for them to feel the way the OP felt with the transaction. Also, I do it so if there is another interested buyer who really does want to keep the doll for themself, the seller can give priority to the other possible buyer.

5. It might bother me a smidge, but once anything I sell is in the hands of the buyer, it is no longer my property. As such, they are entitled to do whatever they'd like with it.

Not everyone will love it, but I believe that is the nature of the beast.

I also feel like this thread has enlightened me a bit. I am pretty much on board with Rikka_Mika and Ehryn.

While I know very little about the original transaction, think of how the buyer in the OP would feel if he or she stumbled upon this thread. I know I would be pretty friggin' bummed! :sweat

6. I have actually done this a couple times. I bought a Pukifee Luna (from a DoA member), a Bobobie Ariel (from the company, not a DoA member), and a SD Nana (from Volks, not DoA member), and within 2 weeks sold them all. I also have a Volks Kaede up for sale, that I bought on the MP just a few weeks ago... Once the doll gets to your house, you just know if it's for you or not, and sometimes it's not. Maybe it's also because I'm new and still testing out what I like and don't like...

7. Doing this now. The doll got here and just certain things about her were a turn off. Sometimes people never really know until they've got the doll in hand and can see for themselves. If I know I am not going to like it, then there is no point in keeping it.

8. This exact thing happened to me! It was the house I had lived in from elementary to high school, so the house with the most memories. A lady bought for a really good price because the across the street neighbors were good friends of hers. She started tearing it apart before we had fully moved out =_= There was tile my parents had put in the previous month (albeit not very good tile XD) and she took out all the carpet and some room dividers...

It's just that its so recent you still feel attached. But the doll (or house) really isn't yours anymore, you got a lot of money for it! The feeling goes away though, for example I absolutely love the house we live in now and would be just as sad if the same thing happened.

I think its just some people feel every doll they purchase is precious to them and have real feelings for them, while others are always searching for the right doll so they need to check a lot out but some may not mean much to them.

9. I agree with this. When I sold my doll, it was just odd to see her up for sale again pretty quickly. I really don't anticipate selling any of my dolls in the near future, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to sell one again if I needed to. People do things for all kinds of reasons and it really isn't my business to inquire into why when it has no direct effect on me.

10. I don't even have a doll of my own, but I can understand how you feel. And well, you can always buy her again, right? But well... things can't be undone and I think she fell in love with the face, the make up, pose, or clothes that the doll had in pictures, but not of the doll and everyone can make mistakes... u__u' I hope that when my girl arrives this don't happen to me..

11. All pronouns are generic.

One of my pet peeves on this forum (and it has been since I first got MP access), is the sentimentality that goes into some sales threads. Sob stories, pleas of financial desperation and any talk about how much the doll means to you are instant turnoffs for me as a buyer. I don't want to feel like I have an obligation to a doll's cherished history when all I'm trying to do is make a purchase.

I've figured out that I have a much more impersonal view of this hobby than a lot of other folks. I love my dolls dearly and do put a lot of work into them, but at the end of the day they're still inanimate objects. They're not my "resin kids" or my sons or daughters. They're "the dolls."

Maybe it's because of this impersonal approach but, for my own part, I can tell as soon as I open a box whether or not a doll is going to work for me. I don't need to try things out, or evaluate, or give it a "bonding period." Any time I open something up and say "eh, you're probably not going to work, but let's try it anyway," I end up selling. Maybe a week later. Maybe a month, but inevitably if it's not love at first sight, it's not love at second or twenty-seventh either.

If I can tell something isn't going to work, I'm not going to pour time and effort and (most importantly) money into trying to turn it into something it's not. Better to just sell and try again. So yes, I "flip" dolls pretty frequently, both as a buyer and seller. As such, it baffles me when people take an interest in what I do with "their" goods.

I once had someone comment on a doll (off-site). I had purchased it from them, and they commented that, once the faceup and clothes and whatnot were changed, that it looked so different from "their doll," and that they were startled I had made such radical changes, including scarring their "gentle boy." It irked me to no end. It was no longer "their" doll, yet I was being almost scolded for what I had done to it.

You sold me your doll. I didn't pry it out of your hands or con you into giving it up. I had no idea it existed until you put it up for sale. You wanted to sell it. I bought it. After that sale is finalized, you have no right to be upset or offended with whatever I decide to do with it. It is no longer your property. If you care so much about what someone else does with it, don't sell it in the first place. Or interview your potential buyers if it's so important that you find your doll a "forever home" once you decide to part with it.

I now do everything I can to avoid "personalized" sales threads because I don't want to deal with owners who are still attached. Unless it's something I really want, I'm content to wait until a more formal, standardized sales thread comes along.

Note: Any freebies that get included in a sale are fair game as well. If you elect to send something above and beyond, such as a wig or eyes, please understand that not everyone is going to like those things or find them even remotely useful. The buyer is under no obligation to return them to the seller, or keep them at all, and can do as they darn well please with them. I have received some thoroughly awesome freebies with a few of my purchases, but most of them are sizes of styles I don't need. Why should I have to keep them?

12. Lets see I have been on both ends of this. I bought a doll from someone, she was a really nice pretty girl from the photos and it really was the doll I had been wanting, but once she arrived from the seller I knew she would not fit my character, her skin tone was blue and was fabulous, but her head was smaller than what I expected and didn't fit my other characters. I can't remember how many days I waited but it wasn't many before I put her back up on the MP. Once she arrived at her new home and I saw photos of her, I was a little sad because I thought well maybe I didn't give her a chance she really can be a beautiful doll. Then shortly after that the new owner put her up in the MP and now she has been sent off to another home. I'm not angry or anything, but I did briefly think about buying her back..lol. Sure she is beautiful but if for some reason when I first got her I realized she was not right for me then better off to a better home.

I'm at that point with another doll I just received but she is brand new, it really does make a difference between a photo and the doll being right in your hand. I also think that yes in this case, original post she should have taken her own photos to resell her.

13. Try to let it go.

I sold a doll once for what I paid for the doll which was very good as it was a rare doll and I knew the current price was WAY higher. However I liked the member and I knew how much she seemed to want the doll. So I just asked what I paid thinking there was NO way this doll would be resold. However I found out she was resold and for much higher then I sold her for just a very short time later.

I have also bought dolls and knew the instant they arrived that I didn't need them in my doll family. Some dolls are just dolls you will admire in others photos - sometimes you just do not know! not till the dolls is in your hands and with your other dolls. I don't like to hold on to dolls unless they give me something I cant' get from just looking at pics.

I don't sell dolls thinking or trying to make a profit. If I get free gifts I normally include them with the doll as freebies when I resell (not that I feel I have to do that). Normally I end up selling at a small loss or a larger loss.

To stay happy in this hobby you have to except this stuff, buyers will Coo and go crazy for dolls but it may not stick.

14. I bought a doll on here (BBB Sprite) that I had seen countless times in owner pics and thought I would love. He got here, and though I did have intentions to try and give him a better chance, a limited OT doll came up for sale and I ended up selling my Sprite within a week of owning him so I could buy this other doll.

I've also sold dolls, and regretted it very quickly. All I did was message the buyer and ask that if she ever had the intentions of selling, to let me know because I would be interested in buying him back. Two years after selling, my boy is back home with me and I'm very happy. ^^

I've only let one other doll go that I've ended up regretting, but I lost track of the girl who bought him from me, and I don't think I'll see my other boy again. ):

In the end, it's up to the buyer to do what they want with the doll. They've paid the money for it, so it's theirs now. ^^

15. I bought a doll recently that I was incredibly excited about, but when she got here I wasn't wowed at all. I gave her a few days attention, played with her, tried different eyes/wigs, but i just didn't click with her. Less than a week after she arrived she is already sold. It wasn't my intention to buy and then resell her, but that's just how it turned out. Sometimes things look/feel very different in photos vs real life.

16. THIS so much this. ^^

As an additional note, I've come to realize I really don't care much for many things about my first doll, my IH Tania. I've considered selling her before (bought her last October), but she's been through two owners previously and I kinda felt bad for her, being so unloved. Because I have that sentimental connection to this doll, I won't sell it.

17. I have done this before. Like other have said when they get here after you buy them you kinda know if they are what you want or not. I have only sold one doll I really regreat selling and I hope to rebuyer her again someday but I am not going to whine about what the new owner does to the old doll its there doll once it paid for.
      I do try to give new dolls I get a fair and sportting chance before they are put back up for sale thats about all you can do.

18. no. nothing like this happend to me. I feel really sorry for you. And know the feeling, even if just not exactly that happend to me.. but anyway....

19. Well I'm kinda guilty of this too. >3>
      I bought a doll because I needed a body for a friend, and I decided to keep the head and order a body as well as my friends head. After about two weeks and after visiting our new house we're just about to move in to, I realised I didn't really have enough room for 4 MSD sized girls. So I swapped one of my girls bodies so she had one then sent her on her way to her new home. I think she has find a good new home though, she hasn't gone somewhere she'll be mistreated. The money from her sale went towards a pukifee instead, who I have space for.
      As such, I think it'd be a bit hypocritical of me to be annoyed if I sold a doll and she was sold on immediately afterwards. As long as she goes a good home...
      The only time I've regretted selling a doll was when I sold a Bobobie Isabella and her new owner dyed her bright pink/purple. D:

20. Yes the first time that happens it's a bit of a shock, but then you realize... "oh yeah, I sold that doll!" (for whatever reason) and get over it.

It's happened to me a great many times that a doll arrived and I just don't like it as much in 3D. They're too expensive to keep if you're not head-over-heels for them, imho... so it's re-sold, and no doubt will find just the right home soon.

Raven