1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Doll Too Soon?

Dec 26, 2010

1. I ordered my first doll in March 2011 and my second doll in April/May. (because I sent the order on the last Saturday of April I dunno if it was an April or May order).

So I ordered my second doll before I got my first one.

Is buying a new doll, e.g. a month later than the last one too soon?
      Nobecause it will take at least a month (probably) for the second doll to arrive, and that is quiet a gap.
      Would the amount of dolls one has have an effect on this and if so why?
      I dunno. I guess if you have only one doll getting a second one will be a bigger step, whereas when you have five dolls a sixth would not be so strange. Or the other way around, if you only have one doll you might need a second to complete the character you are trying to create, whereas with more dolls the next doll would not be necessary.
      For example would the new doll detract from the attention the first one has, therefore one wouldn't be getting their money's worth?
      I say no, because I now pose my Madeleine with my Lewi but still play with them separately too. I do notice some things I like better about one or the other, but they both have their strengths and weaknesses. And a new doll might give a certain "push" to revive an older one.

2. I think buying a doll too soon would only be when you weren't ready to deal with them yet. But once you've taken the plunge and gotten the first one, it's just whenever you can afford it.

3. I think it depends on how one feels about it. I for one got my first doll in June (ordered in April) and probably will order another one soon. I think it'll be even nicer to do photoshoots with two dolls, because that way you can have interaction between them rather than just one doll dancing around. Even when ordering my first one, I was sure I wouldn't be bored of her, since I had done nothing but researched BJDs online for the past few months. ^^;
      So for me the second doll is a kind of power-up to my hobby, it will bring about variety and make it even more interesting ^w^ I imagine this might be the case for others also.

4. I bought both my dolls second hand, so they arrived sooner than they would from the company, and I bought my second doll within two weeks after the first. It took her a few weeks to get here (UPSP made a boo-boo), but it was within a month I got the two of them. I then got two heads within a few weeks after that.

I don't think it makes a difference. I love and play with both my girls, and I enjoy them just the same. I think unless you get three or more dolls at once it's no big deal, but that many would be difficult to juggle. ^^

But I agree with everyone else- don't sweat it. c:

5. I think it is really a matter of personal preference and if you have the funds.
      When I bought my first doll I had just put the order in and not two weeks later Soom released Trond and Kivi which were perfect for two other characters so before my very very first doll even arrived I ordered two more and after I got Anna I ended up buying another doll in the MP before I got Trond and Kivi. So...I suppose no there isn't such a thing as buying too soon ^^; at least for me.

6. "Why postpone joy". What a great phrase. I think the only time it becomes a problem is when you don't have the money and you start doing stupid things to get the money to buy a doll. Otherwise, if it's your money and you earned it, my goodness, have fun with it!

I avoid totaling up the money I have spent since the beginning of the year on buying dolls. I'd probably horrify myself. But I will say that I bought all of my bjds this year. ;) And I'm not the least bit sorry nor will I make any apologies for how I spend the money I earn.

I have at least one other bjd that I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying before the end of this year though I am trying to put on the brakes for a bit. I definitely think about it for awhile before making a purchase but if I find myself going back to photos of the doll repeatedly and just staring at it, I take that as a sign that it's a good decision.

7. I ordered my second doll a few weeks after I received my first and I found that I had much more fun with posing two dolls together to take pictures than I had with one doll. A few times I bought two dolls at the same time from the same company to save on shipping costs and it can be difficult handling two new dolls at the same time, but when that happens I just box up one doll, work on the other and take the first one from the box when I feel ready. There's no shame in that.

8. Is buying a new doll, e.g. a month later than the last one too soon?
      No! I don't think so but then again I might be biased. :sweat I purchased my first two at the same time, my third a month later, and my fourth just a few days ago. Oh and NONE of them are home yet. It might seem silly to buy more dolls without having given myself the time to play with a BJD... However I knew I wanted all the dolls so I wasn't rushing into them without having done the research. Plus I am one of those people that I know what I like (most of the time). This hobby? Maybe won't take priority over my historical costume but it is already on my top list of things to spend time on. hehehe

Would the amount of dolls one has have an effect on this and if so why?
      Once again I don't think so. Sure I have a "main character" but once they come in I'm sure I'll love them all the same. Just think about all those doll owners that have like 15+ BJDs (plus many other figurines or dolls). I'm sure they would all tell you all their resin babies have a place in their heart. If not... well I guess that is how they end up on the marketplace.

9. I'm trying really hard not to buy more dolls before my first has arrived, but it's so HARD. I do have the funds so it's just ... common sense? ... that keeps me from doing it. The only bjd I've ever seen in real life is the floating head that I bought for face-up practice. That's what makes me think I should wait until my first complete doll has arrived. But as soon as he's here, you can bet I'm going to order the other two in the blink of an eye. Because clearly I need themmmm!

;)

10. It's so hard not to buy another doll straight away. You go through all the planning and you make the purchase and then you sit there for the next couple of months waiting for it to arrive. And what do you do whilst you wait for them to arrive? Of course you go and look at other dolls and get excited about them and start to expand your family and then maybe one of them sneaks into your cart and somehow you've purchased another one. Then after clicking the web page of the two lovelies that are waiting to come home you start browsing again ....

It's not wrong. It's just plain adictive.

11. A new doll may enhance the relationship with your older doll. That way the dolls can do things together and be family, or whatever characters you chose. The plot would thicken. lol So no. There's no problem.

12. I've bought a few dolls close together, and it hasn't been an issue for me. Although there are a couple dolls that have sort of been put aside for a lot of playing until I can finish getting them all set - like one doesn't have eyes or a wig or clothes yet, so she's been put away until I put aside money for her full outfit. Same thing with a blank OT doll I bought. I won't really play with her until I do her face-up and get her all put together. But especially with limited dolls, I'd rather buy if I can right away and not worry about how close it was to other purchases.

And I like the "why delay happiness" theory. (:

13. I'd say, go with whatever you feel comfortable with? Personally speaking, I tend to have a dolly-buying spree every so often, and then I feel overwhelmed and like I have too many so I sell some of them on but I always lose $$ this way, so I'm trying to be more careful and considered now so there's less of the buyer's remorse and it's healthier for my bank balance too :(

14. I went a little doll crazy my second year into the hobby and impulsively bought a lot of dolls I really didn't think about. And regretted it because I didn't bond to them or have developed characters for them. I ended up changing the characters several times to try and make it fit, totally wiping everything from faceup to style to personality in an effort to bond and all failed miserably. I ended up selling most of them off. The good news is that if you DO buy impulsively and decide to sell, you can usually get close to what you paid for the doll back, depending on what you got and the condition its in.

Now, that being said, if you REALLY want this doll and have thought it through and don't consider it an impulse, I see absolutely nothing wrong with getting the second one, since you have the money. Its not like you are using bill money to fund a doll you aren't sure you want. I have bought dolls close together and its been fine. I upgraded Venice less than two weeks before I got Axl, and I love them both equally.

15. I like to leave long periods between them. I don't think I could get two at a time my full attention. I like to spend time with one, then get another, no sooner than 6 months after. The longer the better for me.

16. Here's what happened to me. I got my Doll Emily first, but I had to wait a month to play with her because of Christmas. So what happened in that time... I put a 2nd doll on layaway. Though I got lucky, my little doll took 6 months to get to me. So I had a good amount of bonding time, then no sooner then a week after Yoko got here I got my tax refund and bought my boy Shin. All of my dolls are loved. Now Shin might not have any clothing at the moment, but he's the newest. Yoko and Emily are fine clothing and cuddles wise. Don't be too worried about the bonding. Then again I would love any doll that I could save.

Take it easy and take a breath and ask yourself: How long will it take for the new doll to get there? Will you be able to get things for you new doll? Or could the money be used to make your first doll more complete? Do you want a second doll sooner? Is the mold going away anytime soon?

I asked myself these questions when I got Yoko, Shin was a quick buy and I'm not regretting it at all, but I wish I had just put him on layaway so I would now have more money.

17. Awwh, man! I know this feeling. :XD: My first came in just this past week (I'm smitten--obviously). I told my best friend and my partner that I wouldn't be buying my next doll until a full year is past. *_* (and I already have her mapped out! orz) But anyway--I was browsing through JS a couple days ago, and I wound up stumbling across a BBB Song that REALLY resembled one of my other characters... so it was a huuuuge cringe moment. D: I started telling my friend about it, and got a, "Deniiiise! Slow down!" even though he is affordable (at least--more affordable than my first little DZ Demi :lol: ).

So, I'm going to ask for him for xmas. :) (It's not technically buying a new doll, then...) D'ohh, but even that feels like such a long way off! :evil:

18. Years ago, I bought my first doll too soon. I regret the fact that I did. At least, she's at a better home now :).

19. I find myself suffering from really big cases of the "I wants" ALL the time. There was only about 7 weeks between my first and second dolls and I don't regret it a bit. It's like being a mum when you start thinking about having another baby, you wonder if you will have enough love to share for another one. But you know, I've discovered that when a new addition comes along your heart grows to accomodate the extra love :)

20. if you love the doll then get it!