1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Doll Too Soon?

Dec 26, 2010

1. If you can afford it, and if affording it doesn't cut into other important things (like say, you've got... I dunno. A cavity that you need to get filled, but you put it off because you want to buy your doll first, then you need to get your priorities in order.)

If you've got one and you like it, and you want another... then go for it. As long as you can comfortably support buying the dolls then you're all good in my opinion.

2. Is buying a new doll, e.g. a month later than the last one too soon?

It really depends on different people. I ordered another new body, 1 month after getting my first one, and another head 1 week later.

Would the amount of dolls one has have an effect on this and if so why?

It also depends on different people.

For example would the new doll detract from the attention the first one has, therefore one wouldn't be getting their money's worth (I'm a tight wad ok :L)?

Maybe? Because for me, I still dote on my first doll more, because of the bond and time spent tgt :x

3. Personally, I've been in this hobby for all of.... 13months(?) and I have three dolls and two more on the way.
      I actually ordered my first doll on may of this year then bought/received another about 3weeks after.
      My philosophy is that as long as all of lifes' expenses doesn't suffer, I don't see the problem of getting dolls whenever you want.

4. I haven't ordered my first doll yet, so I'm far from the most knowledgeable person here, haha, but I think it depends on the owner. Some people love dolls so much that ordering another one doesn't mean anything, because they'll still spend just as much time with their other dolls, whereas some people are probably novelty seekers, so buying a new one too fast could mean that the one old isn't as important. Personally, I know that I'm going to get my first doll and I'm going to wait a while before I get another, to make sure I love my first and really can handle another. I'm planning on making my own clothes for her, so I figure by the time I've managed to create a small wardrobe for her that isn't terrible, I'll know if I really want another or not.

5. I got my second doll before I even sent my first out for her faceup, she's still incomplete and I always feel really guilty that the only reason she is that way is because I rushed to get my second and lost interest...

6. It depends on what you think. Will you end up buying this doll eventually? Or, does this feel like an impulse buy?
      A: "Oh, I really wanted this doll for a long time. Now, I have the money."
      B: "I have some spare money, what should I buy? OHMIGAWSHINEEDANEWDOLL!"

If you think that you'll end up giving all your attention to a new purchase, and leave something you earned your money to buy behind, maybe you should cool it for a while. Have you had a chance to get over the honeymoon phase of your first doll? All your ideas are executed? It's all you wanted it to be and more? If not, maybe spend some time perfecting your first doll before you sponge over the cashes for a brand new one so quickly. It's a decent chunk of change, as you know, and a pretty major decision.

I only bring this up because you seem to be waffling. Is there something else you need? A bill needs paying off, something broke and you need it fixed, etc. If so, take care of that first. Better to have 1 doll and be cozy at home than in the dark with 2 dolls because you forgot a bill! (I totally have no idea how old you are, I'm trying to cover my bases!)

On the other hand, if this is something you want/have wanted, and you have the funds available, what the heck are you waiting for? Buy the darn thing and get to setting up awesome scenes between the two of them. Isn't that what it's all about?

7. I ordered my first doll directly after ordering my second doll, and even if I didn't feel like these two dolls were the dolls for me when I received them I still planned on ordering Volks FCS Sato in the near future, so for me it was a take the plunge mentality! I had loved BJDs and been interested in them for a few years but just didn't have time to get into it in college. Now that I work full-time and have tons of hard earned cash, I decided what the heck I like trying new things, and I never do anything in a small way, why not? So here I am with 2 dolls on the way and not looking back. It all comes down to your interest, how and if you can spend your money, and what kind of experience will it be for you? I am just the kind of person that will try new things, spend lots of money on them, and if I end up not being as in love then it's okay because I tried, but if that doesn't sound like you? Be more cautious it seems...also it helps that I am not a cheapskate and enjoy spending money when I know I'm not being irresponsible!

8. I would usually get another doll once I had completed or almost completed the doll that I already had. I dont really want to leave my current unfinished doll behind for a new one.

9. Interesting question...I have felt this way before, not with BJD dolls but other collectors dolls. I look forward to a new doll arriving and typically space them out with months in between. If for some reason the dolls arrive close to each other (within days), I feel as though I haven't had time to enjoy the arrival of the first before the second comes. To me, it takes some of the excitement and enjoyment out of the new arrivals.

10. Not necessarily. As long as it's a doll you really, absolutely want(not just an impulse buy), and you have enough room for it, then I don't see the problem.

11. It shouldn't be too bad if you have the money for the second one, so long as everything you NEED to pay for has already been taken care of. In that case, I'd say go for it, spoil yourself.

12. I try to ave some time between ordering the dolls in order to have time for bonding with them, because it happened to me before - bought the next one too soon and the previous got neglected. Felt a bit guilty about it.

13. It all depends, really. I tend to get hung up on my "firsts." My first off-topic when I started doll collecting as an adult, Lumpi, still gets lots of attention from me and I draw him all the time. I even draw a comic about him and I as roommates, I'm always looking for new stuff for him, and I refer to him sometimes as my boyfriend. My first on-topic doll, Tandrelim, has become a role-playing character of mine, and I love getting him new clothes even though he's hard to shop for. Do I give my newer dolls preferential treatment over my older dolls? Sometimes, it's just new-toy syndrome. It wears off eventually and when it comes down to it, Lumpi's still my muse. Too soon? That's totally up to you. Maybe your first doll wants a new friend and doesn't like being alone while you're at work/school/the grocery store. If it's comfortably within your budget and your priorities are covered, why not?

14. I understand it if someone LOVES a doll after getting a new one, it's your money and your characters (if you do characters.) As long as you don't get in killer debt, who minds? I wouldn't personally do that, I wand to customize the heck out of my dolls! So I'd personally save and customize my dolls through clothes and face ups. This would give me time to understand my character and if I do get another doll what role it would play.

15. It depends...if your getting something that is close to the first doll, & you can share clothes.. & the doll is really something you want then I don't see a problem.

If they are taking photos & sharing stuff.. it won't take attention away from the other doll. I bought my second girl straight away as soon as I saved up, bc I was over the moon after seeing what the Sunlight MSD looked liked.

I usually wait a while, but for some reason I just had to have a boy for my girls.. but even though he is cute.. I don't think I would have bought a male doll.. well at least not a MSD sized one if I had waited longer, & given it more thought. The larger male doll seem to have the period piece outfits that I enjoy :aheartbea

Sometimes buying another doll too soon can be a costly lesson to learn. :|

16. I ordered my first BJD in February. She didn't get here until April 3, but I'm in love with her, and already have 2 different outfits and wigs for her.

Since then, I've ordered a small obitsu boy, done his faceup and put him together, and have a temporary outfit and wig for him. But apparently I can't stop because I just ordered my SECOND BJD. :sweat I'm feeling pretty guilty, and like it's way too soon to order another one.

So I thought I'd ask you guys: How soon is too soon to order another BJD?

17. Hahaha, I think you're fine. I know plenty of people (although not me) who've bought many dolls in a short period of time. As long as you keep track on your budget so it doesn't come back and bite you, then you're good ^^ If you end up disliking them you could sell them. But it doesn't sound like you impulse-buy. Enjoy your BJDs!

18. Too soon for me would be if I wasn't done doing what I wanted for my first doll and my bank account is still feeling it from the first one.

Or if I'm trying to order one while I'm still waiting for another to be made and ship. That would probably be overkill unless I planned it in advance.

19. I don't think there is such a thing as too soon. If I had infinite funds I'd probably buy one doll after another until I had all my dream dolls. :)

20. Too soon is when you're still too broke from the first to responsibly fund another. :P

I got my first in April 2008, but didn't buy my second until September that year, after a promotion at work. However, since then, I have bought two dolls in one day. I had had them planned for months, but no money. Then at Christmas I just happened to be lucky enough to get enough gift money to buy them both.