1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a doll you thought you would never buy

Nov 11, 2009

1. Absolutely! I did not buy it yet, but I am waiting to order a MNF while I was absolutely certain I would not buy anything smaller then ~60cm.... but I just feel like having something in between my Tiny (was a gift >w< ) and my SD......

Even more since I told myself I would not buy a Shiwoo, since I do (did) not like the smiling dolls (Find it creepy)... but thats the one I'm getting and I cannot wait!

Its exciting XD

2. Buying a doll you thought you would never buy ..........

Yes, I did!!!.....I bought a Dollmore Lusion 80cm doll...I said from the moment I saw her that I wouldn't buy her..I didn't like her....no...not ever!..:o...Only to find the more I looked at her, the more I liked her...she slowly grew on me until I gave in and I ordered her. She is now on her way home to me....:fangirl:

xen :)

3. Yeah, lol, it's funny how many times I've hated a doll with a PASSION, but then loved it in the next moment.
      I HATED DoD E-an. I recall saying things like, "Her face is weird." "Her eyes are too big." "She's ugly." But in the end, she's the doll I bought. Last moment WHILE I was choosing which doll I wanted, I realized that... "Her face is beautiful!" "Her eyes are perfect!" "She's so pretty!". Lol.

Then I saw DoD Shiny Petsha and Hez, I also recall saying... "They're so creeeeeeepy!" "They look so odd." "Their wigs are gross." "They have a confused look on their face." But now I want them! >_< I am so weird.
      This happens everytime, not just with dolls but with my friends too... I hated them at first but now they're my best friends.
      Oi, if I hate something, I end up loving it.

4. Volks Miruku. I am an avid Luna fan and held a grudge for how much attention Kurumi got over Luna for the longest time, and I just honestly never saw what appealed to her for me. Then suddenly... Miruku came out and I had to have her. To this day she is my favourite doll, even more than my Luna. :)

5. It's happened to me twice. I never thought I'd get an anthro, but now I have a pipos cheshire who specifically creeped me out the first time I saw him. I also never thought I'd actually buy a soom monthly, but I now own one of the rarest.^^;

6. You thought E-An was ugly?! :o She was the very first doll I fell in love with, her and Duncan. But I am glad you did get her, she's beautiful and hopefully the first large doll I own, her or Calla. <3

7. well i dont have her yet. all my money goes into finishing my first two dolls but i never thought i would want a supia rosy. i wanted fantasy dolls (hooved,vampires etc) and i wanted the more.. im not sure whats the right word for it.. anime? (im not a fan of anime but most doll faces remind me of anime.) styled dolls. i didnt want a realistic one, i looked at luts dolls mostly. i came acrossed rosy a few times and thought she was cute but only "cute for a realistic doll" im not sure what it was that made me turn away from realistic dolls

then while planning out a doll character i sent a picture to a friend of what i wanted her to look like my friend sent back a link to a supia rosy. i realised she was right, rosy did sort of look like my character. i searched owner pictures and found a few that hit it spot on. supia rosy WILL be my zoey, there is no other mold that would fit better and now that i have planned zoey out as a rosy i have looked through a few other realistic dolls and found i like them BETTER than the other dolls. they are much more my stlye now. im still stumped at why i didnt see that in the beggining.

i have 2 dolls and plans for around 8 more and the supia rosy is by FAR the doll im most excited for (and thats saying alot since i have 2 hooved dolls)

sorry for the novel =]

8. Oh yes, yes & yes again. I've found myself buying many dolls that at first were complete turn-offs for me. But over the years my tastes changed & I came to love some dolls I never would have even considered at first. One of my latest aquisitions along that line was a Garden of Dolls WS Popo. At first I found her horrid but the more I saw her, the more appealing she became until I finally had to have her. I added a tiny bit of eyeshadow & darkened her lips & now I can't imagine not having her in my collection. She's such a funny little cutie & always makes me smile.

9. For me, it's not so much the doll specifically, but rather the size of the doll. SD's personally are really not for me. Yes, they are absolutely gorgeous beyond belief, but I've always felt they were just TOO big... well, wouldn't you know it, I was looking through DollZone a while ago, and absolutely fell in love with Yage. I'm not planning on buying her for a while (need a few other dolls first (mainly a FL girl a-line body, a Karsh, and a Felix Zeppelin) I will probably switch around all the other dolls that I want, and slowly start saving up for her. Personally, I've never seen a more gorgeous factory stock SD girl, though I'm sure others will disagree.

10. hahaha I think it takes some of us a while to figure out what we like best. I thought vampire and fantasy dolls were so silly when I first entered this hobby... but I slowly found myself selling all of my human dolls. Though I still thought them pretty, for some reason I just never grew attached to them in a permanent way. Now I have a lilu, a vampire, and a bee elf on the way. :D My vampire is reaching her one year birthday... the longest I've had a doll. :)

So yah, I never thought I would have so many white skin fantasy dolls.

11. I'm not sure if this counts but H.Ducan was my dream doll but I never really intended on buying him cause he was too big XD but here he is sitting next to me XD

12. Hah. At first I thought I would never get minis and smaller, since I like the heft and size of SD dolls. But I love Volks' Anais/Tae headmould, and then saw the loveliest "mini-Anais" F-06 for sale... now I'm glad I got her and not Anais, because she's the perfect size for my planned doll family, I don't think she would've fit in so well if she were bigger! (But I think she's the exception, still don't plan to get any minis. :XD:)

I never thought much of Soom Glot & Glati at first -- tinies are too small, don't like their childish faces, don't like their hooves and I don't want a zoomorph doll, over my dead body... but I woke up one fine day completely Soomed by Glot & Glati. That was very unexpected. One day I'll get Glati!

Yes, there are many dolls out there I've just passed on, but now I'm taking a second look and discovering that I really like them! Whether or not I get them remains to be seen...

13. Luts Abadon. I didn't like him when he first came out now I want one.

14. When Volks first released the SD16 girls they really left me feeling kind of meh. I had moved away from fashion dolls so their high heel legs with the fused ankle was a big turn off along with their hourglass proportions.

After trying to find the right look for my character Lena I kept coming back to FCS heads. All of the ones I liked had large neck holes that would fit and look best on an SD13 or SD17 boy body and as it turns out an SD16 girl neck. So I decided to pounce on the first release of an SD16 white skin girl. Guess what? Love the body!!! Pretty ankles, curvy legs, long delicate arms, beautiful hands and I adore the sculpt at the base of her neck. :aheartbea

I'll post here again if I do finally cave in and buy a Puki. ;)

15. Yes.. IP Barron.. on the site i still find him.. Yegh.. blah..
      but the owner pics where better so got one anyway and love hem.. <3

but well 2 years ago i never would have thought to buy dolls at all..

16. I always told myself I'd stick with SDs, since I love the size and it's really convenient that I only need to buy one size of clothes that my guys can share. I certainly didn't ever want to buy a Yo-SD and promised myself that I wouldn't succumb to the Yo-bug... alas, after a year of living in Japan and seeing all the cute little Yo-displays and outfits at the Shinjuku Sumika every week, I eventually gave in and in addition to my SD-crew I now have five of the pint-sized buggers :doh

17. I have a tendency to not like girl characters in books, video games, movies, etc. So it was pretty much decided when I entered this hobby that I would not be buying any girl dolls. Whenever I'm on doll sites, I look through the girls just because I like to know all the mold names, but when I see them, I'm usually thinking, "Would she make a good boy?" But a few days ago, I was severely inspired to make a girl character .__.; Normally, I don't even like my own girl characters all that much (or at least, I don't like them nearly as much as I like my boys), but this chick is pretty awesome :) So, sometime within the next year, I'll probably be buying a SDF Blanchet XD;; Poor girl won't have many clothes to wear, though.

18. I did this with LittleFees.
      I thought I didn't like small dolls and that I would have a slew of larger dolls MSD-SD
      But I got my hands on a Yo sized doll at a meet (I think it was a LittleFee)
      and I have to have on. Actually, I realized then, also, that I didn't particularly like larger dolls
      I still want my dream doll, Feeple Rona, but now I just sold my MSD and I have 2 LittleFees!~ XD

19. That is the way I acquire most of my dolls...I have to have them grow on me...and then I know they are for me...if I can't find their problems...large nose...big feet...whatever that little thing might be that makes me focus on a part of them that I'm not happy with...
      Carol

20. I love anthro characters, love, love, love 'em. So when I realized that many doll companies made adorable anthro BJDs, I was all for it, and knew I'd have to have a few for my lot of dolls. Dogs, birds, rabbits, hedgehogs, and foxes, oh my! I couldn't wait!

But I had a major problem of sorts; I don't like cats. Since my Dad is so hyper allergic to them, I've never been around them and have practically been trained to avoid them at all costs so as not to make my dad sick, and that habit has carried over to being an adult.

In the end, I don't have the first clue on how a cat acts in real life, and just have zero interest in them, so you can probably understand my disappointment when saw the overload of cat anthros, and the lack of everything else. It nearly turned me off of the whole anthro doll thing.

At least until Pipos made the Honey Baby Cheshire. I really can't pinpoint what it is about that little face that makes me love it so, but I just want it so much.