1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a doll you thought you would never buy

Nov 11, 2009

1. I have to look for a long time...to see if there is a characteristic that will bother me...if I can't find the flaw..I'm good..
      I try to buy after examining.....but yes...there have been a few that just didn't ring my bell right away...
      They grow on you...and you have to have one!!!!
      Carol

2. When I first saw the SDF Abadon, nothing about him really clicked. However, after a while of researching, thinking, and changing my mind several times over my first doll, I've decided he would be my first because I realized that when I was still trying to make a decision, he was the one I kept going back to!

3. Oh, hell. I LOATHED Bobobie Tiah. I hate bug-eyes in general, and I thought she was particularly hideous in particular. And now I'm seriously considering getting her for my birthday, over all these dolls I thought I desperately wanted. Somehow, she crept into my heart. I still can't explain how or why.

I guess the bug-eyes get you in the end...

ETA: I don't think it's all that weird to strongly change your first reaction to something. For my 21st birthday, instead of a party, I wanted a Florence of Armani figurine. The one I really hated and didn't want was Allegra. She had every feature I didn't like. Mum and I looked and looked at all these lovely dolls, and... guess which one I went back to get, and love most of all my figurines?

4. I thought I would never get a Soom monthly, I liked a few, Euclase, Sphaler....but never felt driven to get one....

I just bought a Sphaler human though, suddenly one day it clicked tht he was perfect for a character I have not been able to get the right sculpt for for AGES. I was settling on a CP Moon, but that was not quite right, now I am getting a Sphaler for him, and it feels right.

I missed out on Chalco, but believe me I am stalking the boards for a tan one the moment they start shipping...I know sooner or later I will find one, even if it takes years

5. There are two in my collection right now I didn't like first time I saw them.

When I saw the promotional pictures, Elfdoll K-ss was more lulz-worthy to me than anything else and I feared that because of his angry expression he wouldn't be very versatile. And then I saw the owner pictures...
      It's safe to say he's now among my favorite sculpts of all time. What was I thinking?!

Volks Madoka. I just didn't understand what the fuss was about. Her eyes were weird, her head was too small, she was a prissy aristocrat and I couldn't stand her. But the more I looked at her, the more she lured me in with her seductive ways up until the point that I had to have her. Now, there isn't a single female sculpt I love more. Madoka is the definition of perfection.

6. for me, it's Elfdoll K. I wasn't interested in him at all when I saw the promo photos. His angry expression didn't capture my interest. Then over time I'd seen owner photos of him and soon realised that despite the eyebrows he had a flexible look. Well I saw him listed on ebay a few months back and took the plunge in buying him. I haven't regretted my decision. He's much more handsomer in person.

7. At first glance when I saw the DZ Feilian from the promo pictures, I didn't like her at all; the bubble-gum pink wig and the white resin just didn't do it for me. Then I saw owner pictures of her and I thought (and still do!) think she was the prettiest little thing in the world. When I got my tax return money in 2009, I put up a "Looking to Buy" thread in the marketplace, and within a day, Yu Qiao Mao PM'ed me to let me know she had an extra Feilian-bunny to sell! It was totally serendipitous.

Most of the time when people see my dolls, Gwendolen-- the Feilian I bought here--, is their favorite.

8. i did not like fairylands ante sculpt. so girly, to pouty, and way to much of a girl sculpt. but then i saw one someone modified with a winking face plate and i loved how she looked. so after a bit of dealing on hte market place i just paid off an ante :sweat i think owner pics are the most convinceing aspects for buying a sculpt.

9. I told myself I wouldn't stray from one sized doll. I was gonna stick with MSD sized ones due to I have the "stuff" for that size. But at a mini-meet I saw a Yo-SD. It ws just so cute and posable. Little dolls never appealed to me before because they aren't really posable. But BJD tinies ARE!! Now I really liked the LittleFee sculpts I had been seeing pics of :aheartbea and hearing about how posable the FL design is...well needless to say, my one doll a year that I allow myself with my tax return is now a LittleFee which hopefully will be shipping in a few weeks!! So now I have to find more storage for more "stuff" for that sized doll!! :lol:

10. The first Doll I never imagined to buy was a Blythe Doll, when I first saw them, I found them really ugly XD now I have 4 of them ^^"

My second Doll I'm going to buy is Benetia from DIM. I didn't really like her at all at first but within two days I fell in Love with her and now I'm going to buy her <3

11. Tinies. I had no interest at all in tinies. Then someone gave me a Nissa, and she looked so lonely...and the next thing I knew...two foxes, a cat and a Brownie...

12. I never expected to get a DZ Celine, because I had no interest in having an "elf". I like elves, but I was looking for a human doll for the character I had in mind. My mother kept telling me to look at her face, and the more I did the more I loved her. So I got her, and she's just a human with surgically enhanced ears. It fits even better with her being a mad scientist to follow her own aesthetics like that. LOL

13. I never really thought I would get anything below MSD size. I cracked and I bought a littlefee shiwoo. I saw him when he first went up for pre order and I was like...nah...but I adore the MSD Shiwoo and then I went back to look while pre-order was still going. I had the money and caved. I bought him and I am so happy. He's adorable and one of my most loved dolls when I go to meet-ups. I also spoil him rotten. He's got tons of stuffed animals and toys. He even has his own "bedroom".

14. I never thought I'd want a tiny bigger than a puki, but I'm becoming so very attracted to Yo/Soom tinies now at their convenient size and all the cute lil' options available for them. I think Tannis' lil' Beyla was the tipping point in convincing me that it might be fun to have one to play with.

15. I never thought in a million years that i would ever purchase a puki. But when my best friend gave me a piki as a gift, I'm now officially hooked on them!

16. --

#56 Devil's Trill, Mar 20, 2010
      Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    17. mm yes my Bygg!
      I kept moaning about all the hoofed tinies that were about, then I fell for Bygg.
      I missed the ordering period and then they were all coming home to their owners and I would look at the BO's longingly...then I found a fullset on the MP and snapped him up!

18. Heh I have a handcast Lady Saiyuki Ted - a doll of a quality and sculpt I really do not like.

Then one day my friend told me how she was having a hard time selling hers and I looked at the picture of his poorly sculpted bits and all his god aweful air bubbles. I love modifying dolls...a lot. I saw in her doll something I was sure I would have a lot of fun changing. She offered him on a long layaway so I took advantage of it.
      Now I own this doll that I really never pictured myself with. He is currently on the backburner while I work on a doll I am more interested in but I did learn that I love Ted's size and with a little work he is becoming cuter every time I look at his ugly little face.

19. I love big dolls and I could never make myself spend $300 on a tiny doll but I got a great deal on a YO sized girl so impulsively bought her. I really like her alot and I have been playing with her and taking her places! I am hoping to get Lusion Dahlia for Christmas and hopefully Soom Corvi someday.

20. DOD. Cute, but not for me. Now I own a modded Ducan! I love my Tyr!

And to update an earlier post, I have my Abadon now!