1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a doll you thought you would never buy

Nov 11, 2009

1. I never thought I would (be able to) get a Supia tan Rosy. For one when I first entered the hobby, the tanned version had already been sold out and there were no signs or plans to re-release her, second the price of the regular Rosy was a downer for me. I couldn't imagine spending that amount on a doll. However with the second release and then the planned twice a year releases, I'm definitely going to snatch her up. The price doesn't bother me as much as it used to, so now I'm saving up for my first SD girl. : D

2. Actually I was kind of on the fence in regards to purchasing the doll - A Soom Winnie Dee Ai. At the time I was on my "NO MORE DOLLS" kick and the money simply wasn't there. I was also undecided on the sculpt itself, I really loved the fact that she had a regular human head and a faun head, however the faun head had romantic eyes and that's what put me off buying her/it.

Then the owner pictures started to arrive and Ai looked gorgeous!

I just brought my Winnie Dee Ai off the MP last night, hopefully she'll be mailed out this week! :B

3. Aw man congrats! I'm hoping to find one (or an Afi) on the MP when I'm a little more financially stable. I actually didn't like any of the Soom monthlies when I first started looking, now there's any number I would gladly take if I could.

Also, plenty of people open up the eyes on the faun head and they look great :) there was some discussion of methods in the size-specific forum thread.

4. my F16 XD he's my FCS dream come true! I always thought, sd are to big, and especially volks fcs are so hard to come buy and more expensive etc. strange turn of events XD

5. Man, I thought for SURE I would never go for one of the super-big dolls. I mean, they're gorgeous to look at, but I'm a short gal with a bad back and no closet space, so... *grin, sweatdrop* MSDs always seemed more my speed, and there are so many sculpts in that range that I adore. I thought it would be easy enough to avoid splurging on the giants.

I haven't bought one yet, but... *shakes fist at Iplehouse* It's gonna happen. Tedros is just too... yeah.

=^__^=
      Anneko

6. Let's see where do I begin? haha

At first, YO-SD sized Dollzone BB Tinies were the ones I wanted. Small and easy to manage. Then I had my first dollymeet and WHAM BAM THANK YOU MAM I wanted a SD sized doll. I had always thought they were too big but I have Kanguk ordered and on his way (:

Then I thought I would only have SD sized dolls so they would all fit in together. Something smaller just wouldn't look right next to my Kanguk. But then, haha, I spotted Luka on the marketplace. Of course, I HAD to have him! When I first got into BJD (only in February o.o!!) He was one of the first dolls I had fallen in love with. I hadn't considered him since as I thought SD was the only way to go XDD

So here I am. One SD and a fantasy MSD on their way to me ^-^

7. Yes, but what I dislike hasn't changed. I just decided I will spend more on modifications.

8. Yes! XD I came across Homme Ducan but for some reason I just didn't like him very much, even after looking at other pictures. But then I found Elf Ducan and didn't realize it was the same mold! And I fell in love with him! I'm working to save up for him too. XD I believe it was because the ears really brought more life into his face or at least to me it did.
      Another was the Crobidoll Yeon-ho. I saw him but didn't pay much attention to him. Then I found these dolls that I thought were just gorgeous! And low and behold, they were both of Yeon-ho mold XDD Now he's on my wish list!

9. It's not so much hate at first sight, but more like, "I like you, but I can't justify getting you yet because I don't have a character for you" for Angelheim Ryan. I found him quite alluring from the get go, enough for me to remember the company that made him, and to come back to his webpage on occasion to stare at the pretty. It wasn't until months later, when I decided not to get Iplehouse Chase for my Aubrey character, that I put Angelheim Ryan on the roster of possible Aubreys alongside Spiritdoll Cycas and Popodoll NanGong You, and he ended up winning out to become Aubrey :)
      Currently it's the same for Island Doll Damien. I didn't hate him, but couldn't justify why I wanted to get him until a character for him finally popped into my head, and now I'm saving up to get him alongside his twin sister, Feeple Rona.

10. I never thought I'd buy a Volks doll. I've always thought they were overpriced and overrated, plus, I'm not a fan of the anime look and I really couldn't wrap my head around their style.

However, I learned more about what they offer, and the popular sculpts people tend to own are not the only things they make. And I live in the same city as Volks USA so that doesn't help.

Needless to say, I love my YoSD. But he will probably be my only Volks. Still can't really justify the price for the SDs when there are hundreds of beautiful dolls out there for a fraction of the price.

11. I'd never thought I'd order a Crobidoll Nia. Something about him didn't sit right with me. But a few months ago he started to grow on me to the point I'd go to the site every day just to stare at his photos.
      And now here I am a year and a half after first seeing him, waiting for him to arrive xD

Another is Littlefee Leah, who I saw when she was first released with a "Awh, she's cute. Don't want her, though"
      And now I plan to buy her some time this month after I've paid off all my commissions .x.;

12. SD sized dolls, because I think they are too tall for me since I like MSD more. But now I have a couple of SD dolls that I just want to, like Crobidoll's Nia.

13. I've bought a few dolls I thought I would never buy. An MSD, a tiny... and, as to be expected, I ended up selling them because there was a good reason why I didn't want them in the first place. *sigh* My instincts are pretty good about what I like and what I don't, and every time I try to fight them, I end up losing money. *苦笑*

14. Um.. oh god, how many times did I used to say "Minifees just aren't my thing"?

And I have one now and two more on the way? xD

15. Well for me I feel in love with "I" from Iplehouse first.. I thought she was the perfect size.. not to intimidating at 43cm [I was constantly getting out my tape measure and measuring out their heights.. and doing that 60cm just seemed sooo big..] Whilst I really liked some bigger moulds I found myself just feeling intimidated by their size.. Then unexpectedly I fell out of love with I... and in love with Freezia from their YID range. She's 59cm, and well I found one of her on ebay and in my own country too and well the rest can be found in her box opening...

She's home now and far from the intimidating height I thought she'd be.. [and far less imposing than the two porcelain dolls I have standing on my book case..] I love her and adore her and want to get more dolls in her size range.. and perhaps if i'm brave enough a 70cm..

On the way now though is my first 43cm.. and well I know I'm going to love her just as much.. Funny how things work out like that.

16. I have a couple of those stories:
      When I first got into the hobby, I looked at some of the biggest companies in the BJD world (Volks, Luts, and Dollzone) and thought "They're just not my type...and are out of my budget". But by chance, I now have four heads from those companies. I never set out to get those molds, they just seemed to find me and I love them now.

The most poignant of "I don't like the mold" stories though happened with Luts' Delf line. Those cheeks did nothing for me. I jokingly even made a rule for myself to never own anything that had the word "Woo" in it. But one evening I found an avatar with this baby-faced doll that sort of entranced me. I thought he was a modded Volks or B&G doll, but he was actually a Chiwoo. And he was for sale. I tried to ignore him, but the more I looked into owner and company pics, the more his eyes, nose, and those darn cheeks appealed to me. Now he's mine and I love him so much! ...but I still like to make fun of his chubby cheeks.

17. I never thought I would own a tiny and I currently have 3 (a Sei Tenshi, Hina Ichigo, and Lillie, all by Volks). I also thought I would never own any of the Volks Rosen Maiden girls. They are all pretty desirable and hard to find and expensive but I have always loved the sculpts and am a big fan of the characters they are based on. I chanced upon a lovely Hina Ichigo full set in the MP with a face up by an artist I love and i could not resist her. I currently have a one-off Shinku on layaway who is sure to be the crown of my collection once I get her paid off!

18. This thread hasn't been posted to for years, but it's such an interesting topic I'm posting to it (I hope this is okay, Moderators...)

When I first discovered bjds I never in a million years thought I would own something as large as an Iplehouse SID, but it was a natural progression once I got a 60 cm boy. An SID didn't seem that much larger (only 65 cm!) - until he arrived in the mail! Whoo! The difference in breadth, girth, and weight is hard to describe, but now I have two SIDs and plan to get at least one more. (Maybe more because I dream of building a Shinsengumi army of ball jointed dolls. It's my goal in life.)

Now I feel that I well never get something as large as a Mecha Angel. But you never know.

19. My first doll posed that problem! When I was at a local doll shop, with only the intention of 'taking a look', the salesperson came up to my friend and i and started to let us see her dolls and play with them.

One in particular got my attention although i didn't like his face up, but i ended up buying him as the salesperson was very, very pushy.

At that time, I thought I'd regret it but now I pamper the little kid like crazy cause I love him so much :)

20. Yes, definitely. The main one that sticks out is Leekeworld's Mikhaila. I thought she looked horrific the first time I saw her. But then I started looking at box openings, and she didn't seem so hideous - she looked kind of cute. Then, the moment the "Fly" version was released, I thought "I must have this doll - she's gorgeous!". She's one of the few dolls in my collection that doesn't fit in. Most of the dolls that don't look a bit like my others get sold eventually, but I doubt I'll try to sell Mikhaila in the near future.

Another one is Crobidoll's WS Yujin. I thought he was interesting the first time I saw him, but I didn't want another large doll. When he didn't sell out, I ended up ordering him on impulse. Thankfully, I liked him when I saw him in person (though friends/family think he's hideous), and I still quite like him.