1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying clothes: in sets or separates?

Apr 2, 2011

1. If it's a cute set, I'm willing to get a set - especially since you don't have to worry about coordination. I prefer separates, though, because they are cheaper overall, but can be a pain to find things that will work.

2. Well, so far I haven't bought any sets, so I guess separates. Which is not to say I've ruled sets out in any hard-and-fast way, but since I kind of like sewing things for my boys when I get the chance, I don't buy a whole lot of clothes in general. I bought a furry vest that was cheap on the last day of an anime convention, and got a shirt and pair of shoes I saw/loved at a doll convention for my birthday (after promising my mother I'd forget all about them). Got another pair of doll shoes for Christmas, and I ordered another shirt that will arrive at the same time as my next guys, but so far I don't own any sets.

However, the vest and shirt that I bought/received for Vince are both pink leopard print, so they do sort of go together by complete chance.

Someday when I've got the expendable income again, there are a couple sets I really like, that have pieces I wouldn't be able to make easily/well, though, so perhaps set buying is in my future.

=^__^=
      Anneko

3. I like to buy sets. I don't think I've actually bought any separates. I like to buy sets so that I have at least one entire outfit--and potentially others if I mix-and-match. Most of the sets that I've bought have been very nicely made, with lots of pieces that are suitable to coordinate in other ways. I often match up different blouses with different skirts and jumperskirts and different jackets, but I like knowing that I can fall back on a default "look" if I'm feeling uninspired.

4. Separates- I've only ever bought one set! (It was Cass' uniform because I hate the thought of making those...) Separates are the rule here because I like being able to make most things, and buy what I can't make. So I only buy pieces to go with things the gang already has.

5. It depends really, sometimes i get them seperate and sometimes in a set

6. I think I tend to buy separates. I think it's cheaper and I get what I want this way. If there is a set that I feel like I NEED, then I'll buy the set. xD

7. I do both and don't particularly prefer one way over another. I see pros and cons to each options. For example, buying a bunch of separates makes mixing and matching much easier and you don't have to pay for something you don't want. On the other hand, sets can be really easy and (if you're smart about it) might save you money over trying to buy the parts of the set separately. And since most sets come with multiple pieces they can also be used to mix and match to create new outfits.

8. I do both as well. My one doll always wears separates. My other doll wears a set. I think there are good things about both. :kitty2

9. Both is what I find myself looking at. There are some that I just go I REALLY want the set, but on others certain pieces just stick out more than the rest of the outfit.

10. But I always buy separately, so I can combine the better.
      When I see all there is always some part that I do not like at all

11. I guess sets have an appeal because you know for sure that you'll have one entire outfit that matches perfectly. Then again, it is so much more fun to pick out the items of clothing separately, buying sets of course makes the process of dressing up your doll a lot easier.
      I personally think it's more fun to buy separately but if the set is really cute and I like all of the parts, I see no reason not to :)

12. I buy both. Sets can be used as separate pieces too, so sometimes if a majority of the pieces are appealing I prefer to buy it as a whole instead of looking for similar separate pieces.

13. So I guess it's best to have sets with the option of buying separately..? Or separates with discounts as a set. ^_^

14. I'm terrible at putting together outfits (for myself, and my doll) so I tend to buy things in sets. I worry about buying a particular piece and then not finding something suitable to wear with it.

15. I prefers buy sets of them. But if cannot I try to collect each piece until they are group full of set. :D

^__^

16. i buy both. Im starting to make them clothing instead because i have so many fabric

17. I do both. ^^ If I like a whole set, then I will gladly purchase it. ^^ Usually I end up using the different parts with other pieces to make different outfits all together. Also sometimes I find that buying sets are cheaper/you get more for the money. Sometimes if I really like a separate piece though I'll gladly buy that as well. :sweat

.....and then I'll go make things too. So I just do everything. *laughs*

18. for the most part I like to buy clothes in complete sets but there are some sets that I only want one or two items from so in those cases I look for those individual parts

19. I have both, but it really depends. If I can get a pair of jeans, tshirt and button up for $40, that's generally cheaper than I can get all three separately, so sure! But if a set costs $150, and I really only like the shirt, and the pants MIGHT be useful in rare occasions...then no. Not worth it to me. I don't like spending money on pieces I won't use.

I like to mix and match, I rarely ever put a doll in a full set. Even when I buy 3-4 piece sets, I usually split them up. One of the last sets I bought, the pants went to Gus, tank top to Mithra and longsleeved top to Amir. Not one of those dolls would have worn the full outfit all together and looked right for their character

20. Usually I buy sets, but that is because I tend to commission someone to make an outfit for me. And since my dolls only get one outfit each, I don't see the point in commissioning separate pieces :).