1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Dolls in a Size You Never Thought You Would

Feb 26, 2019

1. I used to not be a fan of the Yo sized dolls and then I got bit by the Soom bug and now I have five of them! I guess I just needed a company to make dolls in that size with an aesthetic I liked.

2. All my dolls are SD ranging from 58cm to 80cm, and I always thought I'd never be interested in smaller dolls until I saw Luts Kid Ani and fell in love! My first MSD is on her way and I can't wait :whee:

3. All my dolls are SD sized because I like my big, heavy, adult like dollies. Never thought I'd have anything smaller, but a friend of mine was selling all her dolls at very, very low prices and I decided to get myself a YOsd. Now I'm in love with this cute-cute-child-looking dolls and planning on get many more of them!

(On a side note: I had never been into Blythes until I was invited to a Blythecon and felt in love for the custom ones right away. Now there's a collection of custom Blythes at home too :3)

4. I started collecting MSDs and I got into Yosd as well. I thought that I wouldn’t want to have anything bigger than MSD size but now I have an SD head on the way. I also have fallen in love with two other 65 and 72cm boys which I plan to get at some point.

5. I thought I would only buy dolls in uncle size but I can not refuse the attraction that how cute MDDs are, so I started to collect mdds too, and now I am happy to have them

6. I started with MSD, thinking I'd not want another size. Then I dabbled in tinies a bit, and now I am finding myself thinking about an SD for a specific OC. Admittedly, I'm intimidated about how large they are, so I'm planning to wait until I see one in person.

7. I fell hard for SD sculpts and decided most of my dolls would be that size, with a couple MSDs and YoSDs for very young children. I wanted to keep everyone in scale and proportionate to each other.

Yeah, that went out the window.

I now own everything from 80cm down to just a few centimeters, but was still somehow not sold on mature minis. I know it's a super popular size, but I never really cared for the ever-popular minifee sculpts. I figured if I ever got a mature mini/slim MSD it'd be Serendipity Sharmin or a Unoa and stop at that.

I did get my Sharmin at last, but then @armeleia sculpted Wol and @mokarran sculpted Viola and suddenly I was very invested in a size I never paid much attention to! I now am expanding my mature mini army.

8. When I first got into the hobby I actually wasen't sure what size I wanted But then I drfted into the 1/3 category

9. I have some very off-topic dolls that are literally toddler-sized, and those were my first foray back into doll-collecting as an adult. So I was comfortable with large dolls and really wanted to go for an SD-sized doll when I started collecting BJDs, but I was intimidated by the price and wouldn't let myself really look at them. I ended up starting with the smaller-sized dolls for budgetary reasons as much as anything else.

But then I fell for an SD sculpt. It was probably inevitable...

Now I have two in that size, along with all of the smaller ones.

10. I started with an MSD but fell into the assumption that bigger is better (and in a way it is because it is easier to sew for) and ended up with some SDs but then I impulse bought a Yo-SD and she turned out to be my favorite doll. I still enjoy my other dolls but she is the one that goes everywhere with me and has adventures.

11. I love reading that other people take their dolls on adventures too! I don’t know why I think it’s so funny, but I do. It just makes me happy.

I love that many doll people aren’t afraid to photograph their dolls in public. Some of the pics are fantastically beautiful too. I can’t do that, but I can do the funny or cute ones! I love all sizes of dolls, but I only own ones that are small enough to fit in a suitcase along with my clothes if I get to travel.

I’m really into the minis, I think because I’ve collected 1:12 miniatures all of my life, so I have lots of props for them!

12. My first doll was an MSD, so I tried to stick with that size hoping they'd all "fit" together...dumb me not realizing that there are a variety of different proportions. :sweat I'm still very fond of that size, and I also like the tinies I have - easier to take places for sure. I'm really curious about different sizes, though. I have no idea if an SD would be "too big" for me (someday I'll get to a meetup I swear), but their sculpts are beautiful, and I'm in love with the idea of having a mature mini and a super tiny 1/12 doll someday...I guess I'll just see what happens.

13. My first two dolls were MSD and I never thought I'd care for any other size because the SDs are so much more mature and the smaller sizes aren't always appealing to me. However I fell in love with the Luts tiny delf unicorn (and have ordered it!) and I've recently started planning for two characters that I think will work better with a more mature face than the teen MSDs.

14. The first BJDs I saw were SDs. I love to make costumes, and thought, HMMMm ...Bigger is better, easier to sew for, right?! I have several Iplehouse EIDs and they are great to sew for, I love them....but eventually I found myself wanting smaller dolls too. Right now I really want teensy tiny little 4 inch tall RealPuki SoSo or Popo....but Fairyland is not making them anymore.....boohoo! I keep checking the marketplace for them , but so far no luck...

15. My first doll was a msd size because a sd was too big for me and yosd were too child.

Now I have the three sizes i must say yosd are my favorite for travel and funny pics, the msd and sd are more dificult to carry on with the camera to take pictures but i love the different scenes I could recreate with them.

16. I have a SD and an MSD, I want to buy another MSD and I recently came across a Yo-SD I fell in love with. I never thought to ever like a Yo-SD but it so gosh darn adorable. I thought I was going to stick with just SD's but I keep finding myself liking the MSD's more.

17. I started out with SD and MSD, I have a few tinies but find that I prefer bigger. I mean, REALLY big. I have two Dollmore Trinities that stand at 105cm each. And two Lusions at 80cm each. And if I had more room I’d definitely get another Trinity or Lusion. They definitely have presence in my home. lol

18. I never thought I would buy anything bigger than an MSD for myself yet here I am with a 65cm girl, a 72cm boy and a 60cm boy on the way. Definitely not disappointed in these of the larger sizes.

19. I never thought I'd buy SD sized dolls, because I was always more into dollhouse dolls and standard sized porcelain dolls not taller than 12-18". So, I started my BJD collection with dolls in those size ranges.

But, SD sized dolls are more realistically proportioned for use as art references, and they're also bigger canvases for painting and making detailed clothing/accessories for...so, here I am, buying them instead now.

20. When I first started, I thought I'd "never" get an SD-sized doll, that the 60cm range would be "too big". I have been definitely proven wrong—although I do find them very difficult to travel with and rarely take them to events or long-distance photo excursions, I prefer that size for display and pictures at home. ♥ I similarly expected to "not" get a YoSD-sized doll, because they are so small, but now I have one and she's definitely the easiest to tote to events. I need to be more honest that my preferences change over time, and sometimes my thoughts about something don't line up with the experience of the actual thing. XD