1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Dolls in a Size You Never Thought You Would

Feb 26, 2019

1. I have always been okay with all sizes of dolls which has led to me not being to picky with what size a doll is as long as it suits my tastes.
      I gravitate toward the larger dolls because I normally like more mature sculpts, but I told myself 60cm was my cap. There was never any reason why I would need anything larger than 60cm. . . . but then I found IOS . . . . and their handsome Tauros head and the body was just so perfect. So, now I will never own anything over 70 cm . . . .

2. I'd never thought I would end up with SD dolls. I started off with MSD because it seemed like the best size, then had a couple of Yo-SDs and tinies before realising they weren't my size/type. I sold off the smaller ones a few years ago and kept the only SD doll.

3. After 12 years in the hobby, I’ve had ample opportunity to explore all the sizes. Fairly early on I focused solely on MSD. It was a perfect size for my displays, and they still occupy the vast majority of my collection at 23. But along the way I found myself adding other sizes as the need arose. With my 7 SDs, each one of those were purchased because they had the perfect face for a specific character I was hunting for (sometimes for many years.) So size became irrelevant to character at that point. And with my 6 tinies, it was a case of needing a smaller size and specific look to fill a supportive role in the collection. So along the way, I learned to be more open to other sizes and now that my collection is almost complete, I can see it was quite necessary to fulfilling my goals.

4. I really never thought I’d get into SDs. I’m very happy with the variety of MSDs out there and those are the ones I mostly focused on. But I just brought home a 70cm man lol. He dwarfs my MSDs to the point it’s very comical. I still like MSDs best for size reasons but I’m more open to SD dolls. In fact the average SD is probably going to seem reasonable next to my big guy now haha.

I also have a special place in my heart for tinies. Yo-SDs are cute but I love the 15cm babies!

5. When I first got a doll she was a YOSD and my friend persuaded me into getting an SD... there is no going back.

6. I fell in love with the size MSD, so that's what most of mine are. I have a few YOSD and tinies. Then there's the lone 70cm SD who I couldn't be without. He towers over all of my others haha.

7. I never wanted any yosd and mini pet dolls. But at winter, I started to love them - they are easy to carry around :) I started to dislike yosds again after a small time...they are harder to customize than larger ones :(

8. I started out buying MSD's as they weren't too drastically large, and they had a lot of great sculpts with tons of clothes. I thought I would pretty much never get a YoSD size, as they were too cutesy and not mature enough for me, and are too similar to Barbie size. But I fell head over heels for MDR Pygmies when she brought out Bunyol, so now I have two YoSD's on the way :lol:

Also thought I would never ever buy a boy or a 70cm doll, and now I am seriously considering a DollShe Arsene as he is gorgeous and such a good price at the moment.

9. I knew I never wanted to first start off with buying SD. I was super afraid of how big they were and if I was capable of taking care of such a big doll. A few of my friends talked me more into it, and I feel I might consider buying an SD in the near future. I was more the type of person to possibly buy an MSD just because of the size and price depending on the company.

10. I started out with an MSD minifee thinking I'd stick to that size forever! Yeah right lol! I now have on SD, 6 MSD, 1 yosd, 1 tiny. I'm all over the place and love it! :D

11. I’ve been recently wanting an SD doll, but I’ve been intimidated because I wouldn’t know how she would fit in with my MSD group. However I’m interested in the larger scale to go ham with the details!
      I was also looking into getting a mature tiny the other day because my MSD’s are hard for me to travel with, but there aren’t any mature tinies I’m interested in at the moment beside those two new Dollzone girls that came out recently.

I totally get that big doll craving.. I don’t know, I feel as though my MSD babies don’t exactly fill that void in my heart hahaha. I crave for someone really big and heavy lol (that doesn’t sound weird at all :D)!

#51 WonderlandFaerie, Mar 23, 2019
      Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2019
    12. I definitely understand. I never thought I would want a tiny and now I can't stop looking at them. It is funny how that happens.

I am looking at clothing and toys and furniture. I am asking myself, when did you get this feeling? I have no idea, myself replies.

Well, it doesn't matter. I am hooked on wanting a tiny.

13. I hate myself for loving all sizes. I can't manage dressing them all and spoiling them equally.

I started out with YOSD size and fell in love with the hobby so hard. Next were 1/12 tinies and they were so adorable and portable. Then I got an itch for the big ones and got an SD and while they were interesting I'm still figuring out my bond with them. Then I got some more YOSD and some more tinies. A 11cm girl joined the family and she sure was small and adorable.

Then I got into anime style SD's but missed the realism and cute. I tried out my very first anime style MSD by then hoping they'd be cuter because they were smaller. I did take a small liking to the MSD but not sure how to feel yet.

And now...I'm eyeing my very first ever big baby MSD as well as two fantasy dolls...

It feels like it never stops. I hope I'll be able to say with certainty which size I like the best soon. I don't regret the awesome experience so far though.

It's a neverending story~

14. I started out shelling my characters with a handful of (off-topic of course) 1:6 Obitsus and Dollfies, but when I got my first 1:3 scale BJD, I preferred him so much I had no real interest in any other sizes. My first tiny was an unsolicited offer in a trade, but I soon decided he wasn't for me and sold him. Years later, I decided to try tinies again with a few SOOM TGs, thinking that since they were so small they could hang out around my desk, and I would be more likely to do things with them. That turned out to be wrong on both counts, because things like wings take up too much space, and I still preferred handling my SDs. I had more luck with a few MSDs I decided to style as elemental sprites, but when the fashion-size/mature minis started taking off, I again wasn't interested in adding yet another size to the crew.
      ...And then CreatureDoll showed up with their really nice fantasy full-sets and I wanted to support them. And then Iplehouse decided to do a series of historical/fantasy fullsets for their FIDs. So now I currently have seven mature-minis, and every time I get a new one I wonder why I'm doing this to myself because those tiny eyes and wigs and s-hooks just add another level of frustration for me. :sigh I've come to the realization that this size is only going to be for display.
      So, while trying out other sizes has been (mostly) fun, I don't think anything will ever top SDs for me.

#54 Sianserais, Apr 11, 2020
      Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    15. It might be gsc, ob11 size. I never thought I would own one until last year, hahaha. They are soo cute!

16. I never really intended on it, but I seem to buy only SD+. 64-74cm is my usual range for purchase.

Saying that, there have been the occasional break. I 'tried' to purchase a YoSD one time, a few years back, but the dealer I used was... questionable. I never got the doll, but did get my money back after a little hassle, and I'm still wary of trying new dealers.

I bought an MSD, but he didn't really match his beautiful promo shots. As such, I didn't gel with him. Though, the size is quite cute and easy enough to handle after becoming accustomed to SD+.

I've looked at the 80-90cm dolls on occasion, wondering how much bigger they'd be than my current set.

And, finally, I've just recently put a FID from Iplehouse on layaway, with the intention of switching out all of my resin crew for similar sizes. I don't know quite where this idea came from, other than spending so much time looking them over of late. I adore my big vinyl guys, but the resin side sit. They just sit. And, I have plans of big resin crews. 10 dolls, including the two vinyl guys. But, if they're smaller, there could be room for one or two on top of that target number. I am always creating new story ideas and characters...

17. i bought an SD sized doll in 2013, at the beginning of my being in the hobby, but i didn’t enjoy how big she was and eventually sold her. she was i think 72cm. i never thought i’d buy another SD sized doll again, but i put a feeple60 on layaway about a month ago. there is a huge difference in the feeple60 size and 72cm though so i think it’ll be okay~

18. I didn't think I'd buy anything other than MSD size but ended up getting a 16cm boy. He's sooooo cute. I would like to add a 26cm boy also. I'm contemplating an SD. I want one, but I don't want to 'mess up' my collection with different sizes, if you know what I mean? I already have one boy MSD whose head is bigger than all the others, which bothers me, but he was my first so he has to fit in. I guess some people have much bigger heads than others.

19. I never thought that I'd be able to afford anything more than a 1/6, but I recently found a 1/4 secondhand that I could afford. I was in SHOCK when I opened that box, he was so much bigger than my other doll! :aeyepop: