1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying dolls of different scales & proportions?

Jan 4, 2018

1. Over the first few years, my first 5 or so dolls were all 1/3 size-- they were male and female, but could mostly share clothes and shoes and wigs and could be posed together. I did try and do that on purpose (so they could share items and pose together)... BUT-- this was in the early days of BJDs when there were only a few companies and a few sizes (for instance, there were no tinies--at all! And all 1/3 size were similar to Volks SD-13).

NOW-- I just buy because I like the sculpt. There are just too many variations in sizes and shapes to try and worry about keeping them all the same. Of course, I have many dolls now, and already have dolls that can pose with each other, so pretty much I go for both--dolls that can pose together and be a family and dolls that don't fit at all!

2. I started out with only MSDs or dolls that would scale appropriately with them (ResinSoul's slender tinies make good kids against the mini adults, for instance), and was quite determined to stay that way, until the day I was tempted by a proper tiny (the release event for FairyLand's LittleFees). Currently, I have dolls down to about 10cm, though they're mostly "pets" to the larger dolls; the smallest non-pet ones are Yo-SD scale, most are still firmly in the mini/MSD range, and I have two old-school 60cm SDs as well.

This doesn't mean my collection isn't cohesive, though; I have groups within the larger collection that look good together. The fantasy minis don't mingle with the more human mini crew, the tinies have their own groups separate from both of those, and the SDs don't mingle with any of them. Since they're always photographed and displayed in those groups, the collection keeps its unified look, even with the variation in scale. (Additionally, I favor the more stylized/fantasy look in general, so there isn't a mix of realistic, stylized and anime, which helps with the overall look.)

3. I definitely have the most SD-sized dolls of my collection, and it's because I fell in love with their individual sculpts, not the sizes. I do have other sizes as well, from 10cm to 80cm. My collection is a heaping pile of trash when it comes to cohesion. XD There are a couple dolls who "go together" but really it's a giant mishmash and I love it.

4. The vast majority of my dolls are in scale. SDs, immature MSDs and YO sized dolls. There are a few oddball ones, but they are anthros, so I am somehow able to overlook them being different.
      There are a bunch of mature MSDs that I would love to have, but I cannot bring myself to bring that size into my mix.

5. I prefer larger but that’s because I prefer the aesthetics of adults. Most of mine are boys 65 to 72cm. I have one 60cm girl. That said, I have two child dolls, Zero and Iago, because they appear in my novels as children. They’re in scale to the adults (six and three years old, respectively). My girl... I’d like her to be slightly bigger and may change her body to 63ish cm if I can, because she looks too small by some of the boys.

6. I have from wee 13cm all the way up to, think the tallest here is 75cm if I'm not much mistaken. I don't find it looking odd or anything. Only place where I'd like to slowly fill a gap is with the two mature MSDs I've got from LumeDoll, they're the only ones looking sort of out of place and would need more peers of their kind to join. Even then I don't find them sticking out, they look just as much part of the crew as any of them, they're just on the short side.

7. My crew doll size is very cohesive, they're all male SDs. The reason I stick to that size is because they have the sculpts that I like and the aesthetics that have to do with the age range. I have several floating heads so one of the pros is that they can share body with other heads. Another pro is that the bodies can share clothes, allowing unlimited mix and matching combinations :evilplot:

8. I have many sizes of bjds. The face - that's what I focus on. Any size is fine with me!
      (If you can't make clothing, though, having bjds all the same size might be a real advantage.)
      My Yo-SDs through SDs look fine together. Even smaller bjds are in another display space because they get lost and detract from the larger dolls. The tinies look better with their own accessories. I'm grateful I can see them every day.

9. I have the different sizes of dolls as different ages so it works out :) my YoSD is a toddler, my MSDs are kids, my regular SDs are teenagers and shorter adults and my 65-70cm dolls are taller adults :3

10. My dolls range in size from 5cm to 70cm. My only criteria is that the couples must be sized so that they fit together. There are a few interesting pairings where the size difference is very noticeable (47cm/57cm) or absolutely huge (60cm/60cm/30cm) but that was deliberate as the characters demanded the size difference. The aforementioned characters have a difference in-story of 12" for the one couple (6' and 7' tall) and the other is 2 males 6' tall with their third just barely scraping 3' tall. They're also all fantasy characters.

I do have dolls that are part of the same world and even related to each other and in-story they're a bit different in height but not as much as represented by the dolls. But, the dolls I chose had the perfect face for the character so I bought the sculpt regardless of how they look next to the others in the same world. As long as they are the proper height with their lover, I'm fine with the discrepancy.

11. Initially I just wanted two MSD boys..... Now I've gone and fallen in love with a couple YoSD sized dolls! I'm not too worried, though, as I always go back and forth to make sure that it's something I really want (I've impulsively bought video games before and ended up regretting those purchases, so I for sure don't want to do that with a hobby that's 2-4 times as expensive, lol).

12. I have one MSD girl, one tiny, and I'm planning on switching my MSD to a SD girl and keep it at SD's and tinies because their size proportions are the best (for me at least)

13. I started with slim MSDs, then bought some SDs and tiny dolls, whom I'm now trying to sell and get my collection back to mainly slim MSDs. I still love the tiny dolls, but have to part ways with a big part of them in order to reduce the size of my collection. SDs are just too big for me. Still, I'm sure I'll end up with one once again someday (I'm already tempted).

14. I have a few different sizes, from pukipuki size up to MSD size and they are a motley crew, lol. It doesn't really bother me though, the MSDs don't necessarily have to fit with the tinies and vice versa. I do have a preference for tiny dolls (particularly tiny anthros), because I just love miniatures and tiny things. I don't like large dolls, so I'd probably never buy an SD, my MSDs are already quite overwhelming sometimes because of my lack of space!

15. Well, even thought I started long ago with 1/4 UNOA, I sold all of them later one to only collect SD dolls;
      However, I was planing to get a 1/4 to give a "little brother" look to one of my SD head... then, yesterday, I all sudenly fell in love with Milk from Menagerie doll which is only 39 cm with an head as "big" as a nut lol and here I am : will have to find a place for her far away from her brothers and sister so not to brake the harmony of the family ^^

16. It's interesting to me how even my four MSDs don't look 100% proportional next to each other, though I don't mind since they're spirits (and a robot). One tiny is a dragon, and the other story-wise came from the moon, so I don't mind that he's minuscule compared to the others. I'm curious about the different SD sizes, but I don't know how I would work those into my collection or if I could handle a larger size.

17. I have dolls of several different sizes but there is always at least one more of the size. Plus, they are displayed seperately. I don't feel that my collection isn't cohesive but rather that I have nice examples of various sizes of dolls. At first I was only going to collect 1/3 dolls but after a couple of years that changed & I bought some 1/4 size ones & a couple of tinies. I ended up selling all of my original group of slim minis but years later fell in love with a couple of molds from several companies so I started buying them again. Now I have a nice grouping of that size in addition to my 1/3 & various sizes of tinies. Right now I;m waiting on a Little Fee Chloe so that Ante has someone her size.

18. ;w; i struggle so much with doll size difference, i feel like every sculp must have the height of my ocs and even the difference between them have to make sense. for example i have a doll i adore but he is just too tall for his character and that is awful T^T

19. Sorry about your bjd that's too tall. Can you swap out his body? Is there a good solution? I hope so.

20. Hybriding is always an option. My first doll was meant to shell one of my characters who is quite short, and his original body was fairly average in height, making him the same size as all the others in his group. It took some time, but I have since found him a body that's the proper height for him, and he's finally shorter than all the others. :)