1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying dolls on credit?

Nov 14, 2008

1. I will usually try not to buy a doll on credit (and this far 4 on the counter and still going strong). but I am not against the idea of someday buying a doll with a credit card.

I have a soft spot for a lot of the Soom Monthly dolls, but I know that if they ever bring one out that I can't resist that I would have to use credit card or layaway to get that doll because that simply a sum of money I do not have in one go.

so I am ok with all ways of buying a doll, after all you will always have to pay for it, and money up front OR money to pay off your credit card, it does not matter you work for each eaqually.

2. Credit cards in general are a bad idea if you don't have enough to make more than the minimum payments each month. Even if you can only make the min payment, you're still looking at some killer interest, that will bite you in the ass later on. Trust me, I've been there, done that, and it was on an OLD CHEAP laptop for school and glasses-- dolls are so far down the list of necessary, I would never ever consider using a credit card (if they'd even give me one again) to buy it.

I think saving up is definitely much more secure, and I get to see those numbers go up with satisfaction, knowing I'm that much closer. Or, I make payments to someone on here, that I can work with, rather than a credit company. ^_^~

3. I think it's really about just different means to a similar end...

BlackCat: You get something out of the saving process that someone else maybe gets from the paying-it-off process...

Either way, when you have it, that goal, and you love it... it probably doesn't matter how you got there...

For BJDs... then ends always justify the means ^_-

4. Dealing with money issues is always something of an emotional choice, and often has a lot to do with how you were raised, what credit meant in your household, whether your parents/ sibs/ SOs etc. were in the habit of running up big bills they couldn't pay, or whether someone got unemployed suddenly and faced a big credit issue, or whether, on the other hand, everybody in the family was good with using credit and/or were in some profession where people routinely ran up humongous loans and paid them off later on because that's how certain businesses work.

I never mind if someone chooses not to use credit for some reason, that's their choice and fine with me, as long as they don't flip out or make assumptions about other people who do choose to use their plastic.

5. I've done both. I got my first doll, my Homme Ducan, by saving up money and depriving myself of other expenses. It was a bit heartbreaking when Christmas one year drained the entirety of the fund, so it took me a little over two years to save up for him- but I feel like I earned him more than I earned by Narsha- even though she was nowhere near as pricey. I put her on a chargecard and had her within months.

I love them both dearly, and it was nice getting my Narsha as quickly as I did- but it is true that I feel more gratification for my Ducan because the road to him was much, much longer.

6. Credit cards are not free money, so either way, it's money coming out of your own pocket. As long as you're responsible with your credit card, there should not be a reason why it would make you like the doll even less. And with credit, unless you paid off everything immediately, you'd be paying even more money for the doll.

7. You still have to work for money to pay off your credit card - and that still means just as much sacrifice if not more because with credit you are also paying interest. I feel that finding the doll that you really want (your dream doll - one you've admired for a very long time) is what gives it more value when you finally have it rather than how you bought it.

8. Split equally on paying for my dolls with my lone credit card and via direct payment on paypal.

I save up fully (if I don't already have the funds available) for the doll I want and pay it off all at once, regardless of payment method. If I can't pay it off at once, then I don't buy it. Simple as that.

It's a method I've used with everything else I purchase, whether or not bought online, and it works for me. Not to mention I don't have to pay interest if my credit card is used in this manner, and I build up my credit. Which is a very good thing.

And for larger purchases, doll or not, I am much more comfortable using a credit card for the buyer protection offered. Which I consider to be much better than anything my bank or paypal could offer if things went pear-shaped.

9. I've paid for all of mine with cash/debit but to me I don't think it matters as long as you know you can pay him/her off.

10. It seems to me whether you are paying by credit card or not, you still earn the money to pay for your doll, and if you have the good enough credit to have a credit card and can pay it off within reason, I say why not.

11. There is nothing inherently wrong with using your credit to purchase items.

Using your card and paying it off responsibly is one way to build a good credit rating, which will carry all sorts of benefits down the road when you need credit for BIG items like houses and cars. (Or when all the major appliances go on the fritz at once, or you have to make an emergency trip to see sick relatives, etc.)

The key is either being able to 1) pay the balance off each month or 2) know in advance, and plan for, the fact that you'll be foregoing something extra in order to cover the interest that accrues. IN FACT, carrying a small balance across months once in awhile is a *good* thing so far as credit is concerned - it keeps you from being labelled a "deadbeat" by the credit card companies. :)

Some of those people who refuse to use credit are primarily doing so because they know their own limits, and that is a very good thing. But there are others who seem to have something that approaches a moralistic view of credit cards. That's unnecessary.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using credit!

12. i always buy on credit....buy now worry later....as long as i can affort to pay off those debt sooner...if not later.

13. I try never to buy anything on credit unless it's an emergency. For dolls it's been a really valuable tool for me too, it's helped me see if I really want that doll and am willing to wait for it. Several times I've found that through the waiting process, what I was first thrilled about cools to a "meh" and finally I realize it was a total impulse thing.

14. I don't charge anything to credit cards anymore. If I can't pay for something with cash, then I really don't "need" it. I worked pretty hard to get CC-free and I want to keep it that way. I think, for me, saving and budgeting for my hobbies makes them more enjoyable.

15. Well I haven't purchased my doll yet but the company I want to buy from has a credit card option or bank transfer option only. Personally I will never use bank transfer for these dolls I don't want someone knowing my bank info), unless i use my debit card. I will be using a credit card. BUT I pay off my credit card bills fully. I am not one of those people that puts something on credit and doesn't have the money for it or pays little by little. Like the person who brought up this post I believe even with credit you only charge with money you really have, not what you expect to have. Afterall that's how people go into debt in the first place.

I thought of some rather interesting points though. If you never use a CC, then you'll never earn any "credit". And it will be harder to get a mortgage, buy a home, or a car if you don't have credit. But im sure this depends on the country.

16. I also pay my cc off every month. I've never paid interest. If I don't think I can pay it off, I just wouldn't buy the doll, or any other item I wanted until I knew I had the money to pay for it. I have basically perfect credit, so I don't think paying my bill in full has hurt me at all. Debt can just be so heavy on you.

17. I agree, saving for your doll and taking that time to think about it and plan everything...makes it feel "yours" more than a monthly payment system.
      I for one would prefer to put the money in a bag/box/piggybank ->.<;- every month and then buy the doll...then every month to have to be careful at having the $$$ at hand when the payment time comes...=/

But of course, the method you described is perfect when there is an LTD., and you don't have enough spare cash xDD

18. I always use Pay Pal or Credit Card so that I have that backing if something happens within the transaction, but I used to just charge away. Now I have the money first, then charge and then when I know all is well, pay the amount.
      That works for me and I feel that I am backed up if something were to go wrong. (at least I hope so!)
      I had a good friend who paid cashiers check for a doll and never did the doll exist with the seller. She tried different ways to retrieve her money legally, but to no avail and was out a bunch. So sad as it was a doll she wanted for years.
      It is best, I think, to have the money first even if it means going without a particular doll. Sometimes, if I want a doll that badly, I will sell another one to cover it.

19. when I paid for my first doll with DOD I paid with my credit card but I had the money from my normal bank account that I had transfered to my card FIRST before i used it. Its just I was quite scared to pay such a large amount by any other way (and lets face it PAYPAL is not so secure as it makes out, afterall how many people have been scammed and still lost their money and they used paypal as people withdraw the money!) and I wanted the extra backup and security my mastercard gives me for online transactions. I used money from my savings to pay for my dream boy doll :)
      Its just I am really quite paranoid about sending large amounts online. Thats just me though. What made me nervous afterwards was having to send a copy of the front and back of my card and ID to them - but its been months and they assured it was secure and nothing untoward has happened so I am confident and happy.
      I have also paid for my second doll the same way with them but again hes paid off already as I sold stuff on ebay and worked my butt off doing OT for that second doll that it will feel totally worth it when he gets here.

Credit cards can be good to use you just have to use them wisely.

20. i think credit is ok. thats how i bought both of mine. just like when people buy cars. they usually dont have all the cash right away so they pay little by little. its just safer to buy your doll right away then save for a couple months to find out they sold out.