1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying dolls on credit?

Nov 14, 2008

1. Oh, when I saw this topic, it was very easy for me. I knew right away that I like buying it full and right out. Too much issues pay in segiments. Never liked oweing people money, not a good thing. When I do hit that 'pay' button for my Die head, I want to know it is mine. The joy and sheer utter bliss of feeling that it is mine and I do not have to wait for so long. I think it is far better to get it when you save for it, and make changes in things you want for it.

The only other things that sacres me is that , in case no more of such doll are around, then I understand. XD;; But then again I rather have it in full myself. Just saying I like it best. I feel that a person should get all their money instead of saving and giving it to them over a time period. Again my option.

2. I'm saving for my first doll, and when I have all the money for her she'll be bought on a credit card, but I'll be able to pay off the balance right away.

There are a few reasons for it- one, I don't like being in debt. Two, I'm already in debt from my college loans, which take precedence in being paid off over buying Alice. Three, the waiting period while I save helps me know that this is exactly what I want. If I decide in a month or three that maybe I like a different mold better, I can change my mind; if I went and bought the doll first, then I'd either have buyer's remorse and be selling my first to get another, or I'd be getting into even more debt to buy a second. Fourth, I'll be paying more than the price tag says if I charge it and pay in installments, since I'd have to pay the cc company interest, which I really would rather not do.

3. Honestly, I was searching high and low for a credit card to buy some dolls, but then I realized, I already have one I need to pay off...before I should think about buying another one. And then, it's much more satisfying to work extra hard and save up to pay for something then to just apply for a card.

4. with my first i had the money and i spurged and payed her off right away, with sooms monthly doll u only have a certain amount of time and i didnt have the money so onto my CC she went. but with soom the waits so long u could have it payed off before she even ships ^_^;

5. That's the point I made 4 posts above yours :)

You have to use credit to EARN credit. That's the way it works.

The trick is using it intelligently.

6. Whether you do the sacrificing before or after, you are still using your earned money to buy the doll. I personally prefer the security that my credit card offers when making a large (especially online) purchase. For my first doll I saved all the money beforehand and paid the balance immediately. For my second, I intend to carry the balance for a couple of months since my card is used so seldomly. Because my second doll is a preorder, I'm going to be waiting for her longer than it took me to save and get my first doll put together. I don't value her any less than the doll I saved for first.

7. When I get my doll in the beginning of '09, it will be sort of both. I am planning on using my tax return money to get him, but since most websites only take credit-cards, I have gotten one of those pre-paid visa cards one which you take money you made, and add to the card, like any refillable gift card. Only this one is usable ANYHWERE, even online.

So really, I'm both saving my money (through paying my taxes like a good citizen) and paying with a credit-card that will have the money I made on it so that I can have my doll as soon as humanly possible.

I will just be glad to finally have a doll of my own and stop sighing over everyone elses fortune. I love these things, they're so cool to look at and seem like so much fun, and yet I have been waiting for YEARS to finally get one. I would do a LOT to get it.

8. Delete, yes yes?

9. I don't have credit cards, I am thoroughly useless with them *_* I know this from past experience, so I steer well clear of them altogether :)

I do like to pay for a doll up front. I do think its a good idea to save, and get the protection of a credit card, then pay the balance immediately.... but I couldn't trust myself not to impulse buy if I had the credit there :lol:

10. I don't think I would buy a doll fully on credit...maybe ONLY if there were a LE that I absolutely fell in love with. I would rather save the money beforehand. Technically I used my cc, but, I put the money I saved onto my card as a payment, then ordered (yeah..I actually carry a balance...don't use cc to pay for college, takes ages to pay off!)

11. I know that a friend of mine put her LE Akando on layaway and then there was the huge credit crunch and the pound became poo against the dollar so know she is paying more than if she'd got it on credit card.

I personally don't have a credit card because I know I can't trust myself with them 9I know from experience, and the day I finally paid that bill and got myself out of debt I cut up the card and never looked back). HOwever- I can definately see the benefit of paying on credit card because of the exchange rate issues and also because you are covered. I pretty much always pay everything with Paypal and my bank card is a Visa debit so I can use it world wide anyway. I like to save for the dolls; this year I sold off another collection of mine to fund this new obsession and I had some toys that were worth a bit. Next year I'll have to work harder at saving though to sate my ferocious appetite heh.

I don't see a problem with buying a doll on CC as long as it can be paid back. Saving for the doll, paying on CC to ensure security and then paying off straight away is a great idea- but makes you an incredibly annoying consumer for any CC company hahaha

12. Personally, I don't buy dolls on CC because I have never even had a credit card until recently. I got two low-limit cards about half a year ago in an attempt to build up some good credit, and their spending limit wouldn't even cover the cost of most dolls. :sweat

As a general rule, I agree with those who have said there is nothing wrong with paying for dolls using credit cards, as long as the buyer is responsible with those credit cards (making payments on time, not going over their credit limit). After all, when a limited doll comes out that demands a sudden purchase, being able to pay it off over time via the credit company is sometimes a better option than trying to snag a limited at highly-inflated secondhand prices. (Even with the added percentage that goes to the credit card company).

As others have stated, I don't think it's so much an issue of "should dolls be purchased with credit" as much as "people should be responsible regarding their credit, no matter what they purchase with it".

13. I'm rather new to the idea of having large amounts of money, banks, credit cards, debit cards, what have you (I get so lost and just let my dad deal with most of it ^^; ) . But I was always under the impression that responsible people only used a credit card if they knew they already had the money elsewhere on hand to pay it off right away. How to say, it seemed as though the only people that used a credit card 'willy-nilly' without having the required cash as well was the silly teenagers in those Disney channel shows and things, where they'd have an episode where the characters get their first credit card and go out to buy a bunch of stuff they can't afford. Asking my parents about it, they also confirmed that that should be the proper way to use a credit card. Stuff like cars and houses obviously don't 'count' here =P .

So, I have to say I'm really surprised to see that a lot of people here don't really think much of it at all. I've only been here for a little while, and got the impression that most BJD owners were good with their money, and so that equaled in my mind what I personally considered being 'good with money'. Heh ^^; . I guess it's not the same at all!

For something low-priced like a doll (as in within the $100s, not the $1,000s) , I think that one should try to make sure they have the money on hand first before buying. If there's no real reason for any rush, other than 'I want it now, not later', I don't see the sense in taking chances like that. Slippery slope and all that, ya' know? Maybe if it's something like a super-limited that you have to get NOW, or else NEVER, and you're rather certain of your future financial situation, I guess that makes sense... I probably wouldn't, but then I'm super-stingy and inflexible when it comes to money XD . I hate debt, I hate owing people, I hate being owed by other people, it's all just so unpleasant! And guilty, like I let someone down or something! Like my parents, for being irresponsible XD ! I want finances to be all as set straight and untangled as possible, I don't even want to be in debt for a car! I'd rather try and save up to pay for a full car outright, if possible.

Sooo, uh, yes, I do think that being able to pay for a doll with your own pure cold hard-earned cash is far more rewarding. Better feeling all around, else-wise in the back of my mind all I could hear is the cold, calculating whirring of the financial gears, crunching and recrunching the numbers of what I owe, in what time, when it'll be paid off, etc.. Or using a credit card, but with the saved money on hand in the bank to pay it off right away, obviously. I consider those the same thing, really.

Unfortunately (or fortunately? This is weird...) , I probably won't go through the process of inching, bit by bit, to the intended financial goal to get the doll I want, because I have lots of cash saved up. Like a couple other people have said, I'm one of those people who wants to save money for the sake of saving money. Like before, I thought that it was the normal 'responsible-person' thing to save up some good 'cushion money' to put aside for emergencies, future needs, just in case, etc.. So I'm kind of afraid that because of my good fortune, I won't be able to properly appreciate a doll that I buy... easy money comes with a price XD .

the necromancer,
      ali

14. You know, that's just the way I do it. Save up the money first and then, when I got it, buy the doll. I don't like to be indebted. Not unless it's maybe because I bought a bigger flat or a house or something like that. But when it's "just" a doll, I like to have the money at hand right away. I'm also very careful using my credit card (which, according to what I read, isn't really a credit card, after all - either that or us German blokes got a different mentality when it comes to using credit cards). I only pay for stuff when I know I got the money on the bank account associated with my card. If I don't, I'll transfer it to that account within a week of paying. I, too, like to have some "cushion money" cos honestly, you'll never know what happens next.

Now, if I really, really, REALLY wanted a limited doll, I might consider doing layaway. but basically, I live by a quite strict "no money - no doll" rule. If I don't have it, that's too bad for me but I'll just have to live without the doll.

15. i thought about getting a credit card for my first bjd purchase - but i'm waiting until i have 3/4 of the money saved before i buy him, so that i can pay him off very quickly. this not only makes my credit awesome, but also give me the satisfaction of having saved enough to be able to afford him in two payments. given my job, it's not realistic to be able to save up all of it, so it's all about finding a happy medium :)

16. Sadly I fall into trap of using CC to better protect my own credit rating, in case DH passes away and I am forced to prove I can pay for things myself. I try and look at what is coming in so card is paid in full before bill is due. Most months it gets scary selling stuff and hoping layaway's are paid as promised, but so far so good. Just have to stick to my rules of what I will and will not buy and be sure people are reminded when a payment is due. Most of my layaway people are great and pay fast, but I have had some that have forced me to sell dolls I would have like to have kept a little longer.

But it's all for the love of that ideal doll who like many of you I hope stays longer then I ever dreamed. In fact my one doll will be with me for 1 whole year come Sept. For me that is a record!

17. I never buy things using creditcards, I don't even own a creditcard knowing that it'll only cost me even more and is less costeffective than paying the full price at once. So I save up for something I really want to have or do. So far my income always allowed for a surplus to be stashed away to my savings account due to low rent, not smoking or drinking and going out very much. Living economically may allow one to save up a lot of money. Right now I'm investing some of my savings in my drivers licence. Taking cardriving lessons is pretty expensive in The Netherlands. I reckon I might be spending up to € 2000,- (somewhat more than $ 2000) to get my drivers licence. But I have the money which is great.

18. I see no problem with buying a dollie on Credit. I mean, if you're going to pay it back, you still have to work to earn that money to pay back the CC company, so you didn't work any less for it. In fact, with the interest, you'd have to work more with it.

Just like any other CC purchase, if you're careful, it's not an issue. And no, the repo man is not going to take your dollie away. They only take things that are on loans :P

I personally can't do it, just because I'm flitty with money. My CCs are strictly for emergencies (And maxed out on that, darn vehicle and its issues!). I generally just use my commission profits for dollie spending, so I don't even dip into my real job money. XD

19. I've been using credit cards for about 25 years at this point and I think I know what I'm doing when I use them to buy a doll. I also use the layaway option a lot so I can pay off every month, even if I'm using the credit card for extra buyer protection.

We've had the credit card discussion many times on this board. I'm not squicked by people using credit cards to buy a doll. What does bother me is when people seem to be buying dolls beyond their means, regardless of whether they're paying for them on credit cards, with bank transfers, grant monies, or whatever. But that's their choice to make.

20. In my family we have a guideline that I have decided to operate by: If you don't have the money for it, don't charge it. Unless it's something huge that you could never hope to have the money for all at once within the time span that you need it (large furniture, for example), or something you need in an emergency, it's just not worth it. Even with my Chrom on layaway, I HAVE the money for him. I'm just doing layaway so I can keep the cushion in my bank account.

Some people might say, "But what if that limited you just NEED comes up?" And to that I say ... Ryoya. I absolutely wanted him, despite his $1200 price tag. And I was going to enter the after event to get him. But then Chrom came up and I decided I wanted Chrom more, even despite my Volks bias. I thought, of course, I could put Ryoya on my credit card. But if I did that it would take me at least 3 months to pay him off, which would require wiring money to the US, and just an all-in-all pain in the ass, and what if I couldn't pay him off in three months and had to keep accruing interest and it became four or five months ... just too much of a worry and a hassle. Yes, you get your doll. Yes, you get the freedom of deciding how much to pay every month. But you never know what'll happen, and that $1000 limited doll could easily become a $2000 limited doll if you can't pay it off quickly enough.

And this is why it's always good to charge what you can pay. And yeah, it's good to save. I save $300-600 every month and it's not usually for a purpose, but then when a doll or some gadget pops up, I can buy it. But if a doll popped up when I couldn't just buy it outright ... then I don't need it. Simple as that. (But that's just how I am. Practical or something.)