1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying dolls on credit?

Nov 14, 2008

1. I think it would not make a doll more valuable to you if you saved up longer for it, because you should love the doll anyway. ^_^
      However, I feel that buying expensive things on credit is NEVER a good idea, unless you already have the money to pay for it and the only way to pay is with a credit card (at least that's what I've learned in finance classes). The bills would just keep growing on you, and if you get into a bad financial situation down the line, your dolly may never get payed for.

(Or at least this is how a 15 year old understands it. ^_~)

2. Thanks for the lay-a-way plan. It's the only way to go if you've not saved for a doll. Dolls are a luxury item I would save for over time. Can't see using a credit card for them.

3. i've only bought tinies so far... so i have been able to pay for it with my paychecks... albeit my entire paycheck... which renders me completely broke... i've been pretty low on cash for the past several months already with the 4 dolls i hv coming in... :) now i'm bbuying accessories for them
      i'm so glad i live at home!... sure... i;m a bit old... but i've not got a decent job :(

4. I just bought two lati yellows.
      I prefer to pay right there and then. Then, I don't have that thought hanging over me that I still have money to pay. I like to know how much money I have exactly so that I don't run too low, so paying straight away is best for me :)

5. I could never buy a doll on credit if I wasn't sure I'd have the money at least next paycheck. I have a serious fear of debt (not really a bad thing, I suppose) and I can't stand owing people money.

I understand perhaps with limited editions, and maybe one day I'll change my mind. But for now, no. Plus as said before, saving up for things is good because it lets you become sure that you want them.

6. I have a debit (insert brand name here) card

it means that I have the security of a name card, but I'm using money in my account

if there isn't money there to start with, I can't use the card

but I can see both sides of the credit arguement

we have one card, and use it for periodic payments, or as an emergency back-up.

otherwise the only debt we have is the mortgage..........

7. I'm vary of credit cards and credits in general. I managed to pay off my studies without taking a student loan during the first three years, and took one just recently - and that because my dad asked me to, not because I couldn't pay for the university.

The same situation is with dolls - I'd rather save up and pay it all in one go (or subscribe for a layaway) than actually use that CC money. The latter is really for emergencies like a grocery bill running high all of a sudden ^^;
      I'd rather pay that - something I know I can give back in a matter of hours (go home, take money, go to the bank, deposit, end of story) - than spend someone else's money on a doll ^^;
      And besides, while you set off the money, you can really think it all over and decide if you actually need the doll or not )

8. I've been down this avenue before....started with a little fruit shaped dish in a department store....ended yesterday when I packed up 3 boxes full of similar but pedigreed ceramic fruit and sent them to auction. In the meantime we filled our house with antiques. Auctions are ok, no CCs, just money! But the dread eBay and it's companion Paypal open up a world often better left closed.... Why is it the things I searched so hard for online now go unsold????:...(

I'm terrified to fall into this trap again with BJDs... I've only been collecting vinyls for under 2 years but have sold at least 50 after thinking I Needed them.... It's so easy to buy online. We live in rural America where online is the ONLY option.
      OK, opportunity knocked and I used Paypal to buy my 1st SD a couple weeks ago but I had it covered. No problem. The money is there.... But now I lust for not 1 but 3 more!!!!!:doh
      So I have issues controlling my collecting urges. I must NOT succumb to making 3 or 4 easy payments or just using my CC!!! I always pay it off every month. We don't carry cash or checks but keep tight reins since our budget tightened.....but oh, the temptations of the internet...(and forums like this!!) Everyone has a new and prettier/bigger/smaller doll.......That's the issue for me.....

9. BlackKat I totally admire you for being able to save up and buy your dolls but I just can't do it! If I see a doll and get that feeling in my heart, and I have enough money for the deposit on a layaway scheme or if I can get it on credit then I just have to go for it - the world might end tomorrow :lol:

10. But that's OK! There's nothing wrong with the OMGWANT feeling. There's only a problem when you buy the doll but needed the money for rent or food. I don't see an issue if you snatch up the doll and have enough money to support the purchase.

11. Naw, I'm not into credit to buy almost anything. I pay off my bill every month. The only time I think its okay to leave a balance and pay later are for big things...like cars...or medical expenses. But I can totally understand the desire! There was an amazing girl on ebay I wanted, but she was 800 dollars and I just couldnt bear to let her go! But I had to, and I had to look at photos and just pine....

12. My husband and I use credit cards to pay for most things, BUT (before you look disapproving) we pay it off every month. In fact, we have never not completely paid it off. I would be very uncomfortable incurring debt on credit cards.
      I think a balance has to be met at some point.
      For instance, I ordered Soom's Amber (and she was quite an investment) but I also have not purchased any other dolls since, and only ordered a few doll accessories when I have already saved up the money. That is going on 6 months. I feel like though I did not save for her first, I am not being frivolous with my spending. She has her own investment of time, it's just happens to be after the fact in her case. -_^

13. My third time through this thread, and I'm still always surprised by the number of people who are vehemently opposed to ANY kind of credit card.

I absolutely understand the fear of getting in too deep. It sucks having no money. Been there, really have (we're talking dirt, dirt poor). And it's sooooo easy to get carried away. I still absolutely freak if I look at my balances and there's anything more than a hundred or two on them, even though I've been working for years and make enough to cover a higher balance. (Oh yes, and I almost never carry a balance over... or at least have paid enough that I don't incur finance charges).

However. In this day and age there are times that something that needs to be done can ONLY be done with a credit card. I'm not talking luxury purchases here, either. It just seems very limiting to me to disallow yourself a card on general principles.

It's pretty easy... you don't put $5K on the card in a month if you only make $2K a month! Or, you do it for a very specific, thought-out reason, and have a plan for paying that puppy down just as quickly as possible. In exchange for being sensible, you build a credit rating, you have insured purchases, and you are able to handle emergencies without flailing around looking for an ATM (where your withdrawal limit might not be enough!).

14. I had a credit card when I was rather young(thankfully Obama is now changing the way credit cards are tow ork...ie you can't get one till 21 or can furnish proof that you can pay the credit card for 18-21 year olds) Anyway I was a young mother and married young and thought everything was rather easy. I used the credit card to much and couldnt afford to pay the bills. My husband at the time also was on my account and he did a hefty amount of spending with it also. Two years later I'm divorced I have a 2 year old son and working my way out of a mound of debt. If I would have waited to get a cc and waited to get married these things wouldn't have happened but they did. As things go now if I want a doll I manage to scrimp by on things till I can get the doll. I recently fell in love with the new soom md. Couldn't resist the guy (a warewolf...he's sooooo my dream!) So I put him on layaway. I asked if others would like to split him with me and so it made him more cost effective. I would love to keep all of him but in thinking logically I probly wouldn't change him into a human and I would probly like an artists faceup better than sooms. I could commission an outfit at a leter time when I have some spare cash and maybe cat eyes would look better than his red eyes....and his wig is awesome but perhaps a defferent wig would look better. thinking this way made him more manageable for me to take on. I don't like credit cards for the fact that I'm held down to a company, they have me till I can pay it off and the collectors aren't very understanding on the phone like they love to say they are. I'm in a mess trying to clean tmy credit up as it is...lol

15. I've used my credit card for buying dolls. Lately I've been doing layaway. I don't spend more then I can afford. I have great credit. Using a CC has not lessened my enjoyment of my dolls one bit. I tend them like orchids. This is me. If saving makes the doll even yummier for some folks then by all means they should save before they pay for their dolls.

16. I think that satisfaction of saving up for your first doll is a great feeling. It just is. I prefer not to use credit or even shop online if I can help it. So seeing the money piled up and then--FINALLY--you have enough. Nothing like it.

At the same time, I don't think there's anything wrong with using credit if you feel it's important enough--say, it's limited edition or something. Just be sure to pay off that bill.

17. Not a good idea! It can really rack up those bills like nothing else >_<
      And CC companies are in the business to find ways to charge as much fees and interest as they can. I am never gonna buy dolls off CC again (or at least try to!)

18. Oh, I wish I could say I save up and then buy. But, I just never have that much money saved. So I DO use my credit card but then I work really hard to get it paid off ASAP. I am not good at postponing my pleasure. :)
      I agree with whoever said that you can almost save up while you're waiting for the doll because it takes so long to get them!
      I do get a lot of flack from my brother who works in banking and thinks anyone who runs their cards up is pretty dumb. that's me!

19. A current study states that the average American owes about $10,000 in credit card debt. Either you are all lying who say you don't use them or this survey skipped doll owners.
      No one needs to be embarrassed over debt. It happens.
      What you do about it is what matters. I have charged dolls in the past.
      I have a business credit card for my business and sometimes you make less money than you owe, its a sad fact in today's economy.
      I always pay my bills on time and that is all that matters.
      I do agree with people who know it is not wise to go into debt over a doll.
      I do think it's funny how many people have car payments but no one thinks as a car as a luxury. :)

20. In some places, it's not. I live in the suburbs, and there's no public transportation anywhere near me, not even something I could ride a bike to. Calling a cab is an even less economical method than owning a car, so for me to have a job outside my home, having a car is a requirement, not a luxury.