1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying second hand

Feb 21, 2005

?
  1. DOA Marketplace

2. Ebay

3. From A Friend

4. From Yahoo Japan Auctions

5. Other - Please post below where

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I enjoy buying second hand dolls- not just the price can sway me, ect., it's the 'pre-loved' thing for me. I mean, like someone said, I could pay a little bit more and help someone out get their dream doll, y'know? Also, you could get a good deal if you don't mind a few misshapen parts (S'how I got Shin's body >>)

The only time I would buy new its because the other dolls I want (a sleeping Chiwoo and a sleeping Soony) aren't as popular on the market, or have been modded so their eyes are open.

2. All of my BJD's have been or are second hand. I seem to find a doll I love and start saving, then low and behold! someone is selling it in the marketplace. This happened with my SR Noel and my SD Megu. Both dolls I loved and really wanted and was in the process of saving for. When they popped up in the marketplace I grabbed them mostly because they were a tiny bit cheaper and in the case of my Megu, her previous owner was open to a trade of a mini + cash and I had a sadly neglected mini I was considering selling anyways.

I do not feel second hand dolls are any less valuable if they are cared for by the previous owners.

I love my dolls and I don't care how many people owned them before me :)

3. A couple of points:
      1) In this hobby, "unlimited" does not necessary mean "easy to get". Take El for example, as he was mentioned. As near as I could tell when I was staking Luts out for another doll, they stock between 7 and 10 of each doll a month on the English site (i.e. the one everyone outside of Japan and Korea orders off of). The exact numbers may have changed, but really, the point is that some months, El is darn hard to get. He gets restocked and boom--he's gone again. Even though he's unlimited.
      2) Most people take incredibly good care of their dolls, and in most cases the doll you buy second-hand will be mint or near-mint -- almost exactly the same. It's the other side of the coin that asks "why not spend a little more to get a new one?" Why sell for less when your doll is just like new?

Or, in summary, no damage + practically unlimited item shelf life + demand that exceeds supply = no depreciation.

4. I know! I thought it was funny how this hobby can differ from others in that 2nd hand doesn't necessarily mean lower prices- even for clothes and wigs. My only 2nd hand girl was my PF Yoko- I couldn't stand seeing her for sale- I HAD to adopt her to give her a new home.

5. I got Ryu off the second hand market, and while Tender Toos are definately not a limited doll in any way, shape, or form, I still paid a bit more for him than I would've if I just got him straight from DoD... but I knew he was previously very much loved.

A deciding factor was that I would be getting Ryu and only Ryu... Not him and a Bee-a that I would be sad to see sold off without first getting the love she deserved just because I wasn't as draw to her. I guess it was his face that drew me to him and that if I was willing to pay a little extra a full set of clothes was also included with him so that he wouldn't come to me completely naked. The time it took for him to get to me (5 days) was also a whole lot better than the 8 week wait too ^^"

Sometimes getting a doll second hand has it's advantages if they come with that special face up or that perfect outfit (or set of outfits)... While I don't have anything against buying new from the company (I plan on getting another one direct from DoD soon), I just feel better knowing that I'm helping out another doll-lover that couldn't keep their little one anymore for some reason or another.

6. Lets see...7 of my dolls, at least heads and 3 of the bodys are second hand. ^^ I don't mind where they come from, if I love them, I buy them. (If I can, lol)

7. I have bought nearly all of my dolls second hand. This is because none of them were in production (Anais, Unoss long gone out of production, old skin F08 head). however, i have bought my Ciel head direct from Musedoll :daisy

8. all but one of my kids were bought secondhand. it's great! i get the doll i want for a good price, and in turn i help someone else get the doll they want/pay a bill/whatever they might need the money for. it's a nice symbiosis. ^__^

9. ~ If the doll is already in your country, you don't risk paying potentially huge customs fees on it.

~ No wait time. If you need the doll by a birthday or whatnot, sometimes it's the only way.

~ You see photos of the actual doll. Default faceups can still vary, so even if you are buying a doll with a company faceup, it really is a bonus to see the exact one you are getting. Also, some companies have resin tone that varies and this way you know exactly what you are getting and what it will match.

~ Often people make minor tweaks like improving the stringing or sanding seams. You can ask detailed questions about the particular doll's posing or stringing and get an answer.

~ You might be able to pay with a more convenient method. (People who don't have credit cards can use paypal, for example. Or money order or bank transfer if you have neither.)

10. I have two second hand, and I two from Luts . I found that I hated the wait for them, and when they arrived, (Three months later) I could not bond with my Tanning Lishe. SO I sold her to be able to get another "second-hand" doll that I would bond with better. I have been able to get three pre-loved girls I have been eyeing.. and I only have to wait a few days.

I also think pre-loved means that they will have the potencial to have so much more personality. I can not wait to get my new girls, and see where my TL has gone, and her new personality.

I think we should make a small "token" for our "pre-loved" ones, to go in our siggy... any takers? any idea's?

11. I have both 2nd hand and new dolls. In a way I like some of my 2nd hand dolls more then my new ones -and with a bit of hunting, it eventually did cost me less to buy secondhand. My oldskin F-04 and her SD13 body cost me around $500- much cheaper then it would have sot me to get her FCS new. And I love, love, love her secondhand body- it came perfectly strung AND sueded from Y!J. It's the best posing body I own.

You can find really great secondhand deals, but you have to be patient and willing to hold out until you find the right deal and jump on it when you see it.

12. Yea Shortie that's a really good idea ^^ I'm not too sure what to make it look like but that sounds awsome and very much needed.

Hm... need to think about it :)

13. I'm a fan of getting second-hand kiddies...most of them have been taken care of very well, and it's so worth getting the doll quickly and (sometimes) at a slightly lower price. My mentality about it is "If they aren't fitting in at Person A's place, it's because they really were meant to be here with me. XD"

I don't mind getting new dolls, and honestly, the ones I want (or wanted) don't come up in the Marketplace too often, so I've ended up getting new on four of the dolls here (I'm including PherretLord's girls in this).

But if I could pay a little bit more than retail to get one of my crew here in a matter of days from within the States, even if it was second-hand, I would be willing to do it. (Theoretically speaking, of course...)

14. sometimes people do buy secondhand dolls to help the owner out, or to help the doll if it needs more love than it is getting. I personally don't get much of a difference by rehoming a doll as I live in Brisbane and will likely have to pay high shipping costs no matter what. I have only purchased secondhand once so far, that was Cain's body, an old Iplehouse body that simply refused to do anything for its last owner. Because of the problems I got a practically mint body for cheap and after unwiring, restringing and resueding we are getting along like a house on fire! I am really glad now that I did buy secondhand cos I got a great body for a great price and the last owner could get a new body that agreed with her more :)

15. All of my ABJD dolls, even the ones that look mint, are second (or even third) hand.
      Each one of them is special to me, because I have chosen them one by one and often assembled them myself.
      Some of them were probably never been played with when I purchased them, and some of them had been sold by repaint artists that bought them in order to give them their own face up and then re-sell them, so, even if they were practically new when I got them, I still consider them second hand, since I am not their first owner! :daisy
      I have chosen them instead of brand new dolls because, before buying anything, I prefer to see a the actual object I'm going to have, not just a sample. Moreover, I believe that all things have their own specific energy that makes them unique, this is the very reason why I truly prefer to pick them myself :daisy

16. I bought my El-special second hand from the Marketplace here on DoA. He was pretty much brand new and the same price as he would have been right from Luts, but the shipping was much less than it would have been from Korea. Instead of taking six weeks to get to me the doll was here in a week and a half. Also, the seller threw in a pair of jeans and a trench coat so he wouldn't be naked when he got here. After buying my second doll right from a company I realized the benifit of having a doll reach you so soon after its purchase.

17. Shiro Tachibana is a LE, and I can't pay 2-3K for a new doll as rare as it is. So second-hand was my only option. My F-16 head was new, but the person changed her mind about keeping it, so I lucked out.

I don't mind if my dolls are second-hand, or third-hand as long as there are no permanent blemishes or cracks.

18. Well, I got a body second hand. It was a good deal, though. If I bought it new from the company it would have been a lot more.

I think I'd buy second hand mostly to get a good deal. If it wasn't for that it would be to get a doll whose faceup I loved or a doll I've admired from photos for awhile.

19. I agree. I have owned second hand dolls and they were in excellent condition. but, the ones I keep tend to be ones that are brand new. I am the orginal owner of all of my girls. I think that it means more to me that way.

20. I got my Too and Bee-A second hand and seperately, but I only waited a week to recieve them and at the time DoD wasn't offering to split Tender/Normal, so for me it was a way to mix up the pair.