1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling BJDs "It"

Jul 13, 2010

1. My girls are female so I always use feminine pronouns when I refer to either of them. I couldn't care less if my non-BJD friends think it's weird.

2. while i call them by their character gender, i don't care if people call them IT.
      i tend to call babies IT so i can't get mad if people call my dolls that lol.

3. it bothers me when dolls get called "it". i feel that they all have strong personalities and it doesn't sit right with me to call them anything but he or she. even the floating head it have i refer to as she or her.

4. All my dolls are fantasy creatures (even if some of them look completely or almost human) and most of them don't even have a clear sex, much less clear gender. So, I call them "it". I don't really care if someone refers to them as "she" or "he" because it's easy to think Susu, for example, is female, because she looks very feminine.

edit: this might also be about finnish language. We generally refer to other people, and animals, as "it". We don't have "he" or "she" we just have a non-gender-specific word for the third person.

I don't have any kind of problems with the word "it" even with human dolls. But I don't really talk about dolls in english so it might be that I would use she or he more in english... For example, in finnish I call my dog "it" but in english I say "she". Dunno why.

5. I definitely think dolls are inanimate objects, without any personality of their own other than what we project on them. Yet I always refer to them as "he" or "she." I do that with many inanimate objects that clearly represent a male or a female. For example, I have a lithograph on my bedroom wall of a female ballet dancer, and this is a "she" to me; for example, "I want to move her over to that wall." Just a funny habit of mine, I guess.

6. I'm calling BJD dolls 'he' or 'she' because I see everyone here do it, and I'm afraid some people might be insulted if I refer to their doll as 'it'.

7. I agree with most people; based off the character a doll possesses I call it "he" or "she" accordingly. In the case of genderless bodies I guess "it" would have to work, eh? I don't care what other people call their or someone else's dolls really, it's simply a personal preference.

8. One of my wishlist dolls is going to be modded to be gender-neutral, but considering I dislike the gender-neutral pronouns I would probably end up calling them 'it', even despite how not-personal it sounds.

9. Dolls have specific genders so it would just feel weird to me to call them "it".
      I always refer to my dolls by their gender or their names.

10. I agree with this too.