1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling BJDs "It"

Jul 13, 2010

1. I usually call them he/she according to the doll's gender, but I'm not offended by the idea of calling a doll 'it', dolls are objects after all.

2. There's no it in my language, so this had never even occured to me. To be honest, I think "it" would be useful to refer to my little genderless twins, we call them "the babies" most of the time to avoid choosing either female or male pronouns.

3. I call my dolls he or she, but I don't care if someone else refers to them as "it". I would always refer to someone else's doll as he or she, unless they asked me not to - which has never happened, lol.

4. My language doesn't differentiate objects by gender at all (and additionally we don't use pronouns), so mostly I call them by their names, or say "my doll(s)".

When it comes to English I use "he" or "she" - actually I've rarely seen anyone using "it", but how others call their dolls absolutely doesn't bother me. And for outsiders when you don't really want to dwell into the "one gender looking like the other" issue, it really makes sense to avoid the situation by a well placed "it"! :lol:

5. All I know is that I personally say he or she.

6. I call my dolls She/he but technically "it" is correct I guess, so I really don't mind how others refer to my dolls :)

7. Around non-doll people, refer to my dolls and other dolls as an 'it', because they don't get the whole concept of having dolls like these in the first place. They certainly wouldn't understand the concept of calling them 'she' or 'he'. With doll people, I do refer to them by genders and names, since more people "get it" who are in the hobby.

For me, it's a simple matter of convenience to refer to my dolls, and dolls in general, as an "it" to a non-doll person, even ones who are interested in the hobby but not actively into it yet. Less hassle to try to get them to understand, in a way.

8. My dolls tend to have a character put to them which reinforces the idea of them having a gender/sex when I talk about them. Most doll bodies come with a certain sex identification of male or female so I will often refer to a character doll of my own as my "Boy" or "Girl" without thinking. "It" is fine though, they are just dolls and in reality lack sex or gender unless we label them as such.

9. I just call my dolls he and she, just because they have a gender... Though I don't mind how people would talk about them. Even if someone was to call them it, I would answer with he or she :p I would certainly not get angry, just because it's not worth to start a fight over the way someone adresses a doll... for them they are objects, for me they are a lot more :)

I'm also just not able to talk about characterized objects as it, even all my stuffed animals had genders when I still had them, my fish also do, even though I tend to guess wrong (I ended up with a male fish named Olga and his girlfriend is named Henk, kinda confusing)

10. well i never refer to any of my dolls buy IT not even my cat
      i like calling them as the gender like HE or SHE

11. I have to admit, I've call some dolls "it" simply because it was hard to tell.

One girl at a convention had a 70cm boy dressed in a pink lolita dress. When I first saw him, I couldn't tell under all the frills. It looked like a boy's face, but I knew people did head swaps. I believe my exact words were: "What gender is it?". She just laughed (thank heaven).

Would I be bothered if someone called my doll and "it"? Only if they got really angry if I did the same to them. Otherwise, I really don't mind.

12. Well, since in German, dolls are associated with feminine pronouns, I never actually called one "it", and might not do it anyways. If I am talking about a particular doll, will talk about them in the same way I would about a person. Because basically, someone put effort, time and money into the doll, and my personal respect for that demands me to use the correct articles.

However, I don't mind it my boy will ever be called "it", simply, because it doesn't matter to me what others call him, to me he is my little precious boy, and that's all that matters, quiet frankly ^^

13. It doesn't really bother me... I don't personally refer to my girls as "It", but.. I don't know. Personal preference, I guess.

14. i prefer "he" or "she" but i'm guilty of saying "it" instead, but only to people that aren't interested in dolls and see them more as just any old toy.

15. I call my Puki it because it hasnt got a gender. Sometimes its Mr Pong. Some times she's the cutest girl ever.
      It's not a dragqueen or a tomboy, i just use him to depict both genders, when and if necessary.

16. I don't mind, and I sometimes refer to them as It myself-- because a doll IS an It. There's no problem with that.

But most of the time, I find that even non-doll-people refer to the doll as "he" instead of "it", in the first place. So it doesn't sound odd when I do the same. If I am in doll-collectors' company, then I do always refer to its gender instead, because the initiated already grok that it's also a character with a gender.

17. Depends on who I am talking to and the doll I am talking about.

If I'm talking to a "normal person", I will use "it" unless that person uses a gender pronoun themselves, after which I will match.

If I am talking about a doll hypothetically, i.e. not a specific doll that has a definite gender, I will use "it" for simplicity. I far prefer "it" over "he or she", which I find too awkward to use even when talking about real people.

18. I am very specific with the way I talk. I do a little psycological meddeling when I talk to people, and I do the same with the dolls. When I'm talking about the doll, the chunk of resin and elastic sitting on the shelf, I always use "it" or "that one". "It cost me a lot, it's mold type is such and such, it can come apart, it's got a face I painted on" etc. But if I'm talking about the character "Nika" or "Tarrant" I always call them "he/his/him" because that's the character.

"He's supposed to be 13 but he's so short compaired to my older boy he looks 6!" as opposed to "It's shorther than the other one because one is MSD and the other is SD." See the difference? To someone who doesn't own/like/care about bjds, I always use the reference of it as a doll, rather than him as a character. To those who do own, like, or want to know more about bjds, I start to slide into talking about them as their characters, and thus start using the correct pronouns.

19. I do it sometimes. My doll isn't a creature, it's a piece of plastic.

20. I wouldn't call mine 'it', but I definitely would call other people's dolls 'it' because a lot of people's male dolls cross dress, and everything isn't black and white in the doll world. Or, I'd wait to see if they referenced their doll as a he or she.