1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling BJDs "It"

Jul 13, 2010

1. well, i prefer not to use 'it'. I usually would say their names instead of *he or she*'s anyways. (A habit, I also don't refer my cats as it. Just sound very weird to me if i do.) :*

2. I refer to Elly as "she" around my friends, family and other people in the hobby, but if I'm talking to a non-doll person who I don't know very well then I'll say it. I prefer not to seem to creepy to strangers, and I always apologise to Elly afterwards :)

3. I was about to write the same that Immarre already did before, so I just state the same again. As having not genderly separated "she/he" word in our language, (in translated texts it´s often written "girl/woman" or "boy/man" if it´s needed to state which gender said or did something) and also the word "hän" which we have to express "he/she" is considered as sort of respectful and formal word - in spoken language it´s usual to refer even to people as "it". Some people in Finland do use "he/she"-word for pet animals or dolls, but it always sounds a bit odd in my ears.

Still, when I speak or write in English, I´ve learnt to use "he/she" when talking about dolls, even about animals and for sure when it´s about people, as in English language word "it" sounds quite harsh and might give a negative feeling or tone, even when it wouldn´t be meant that way.

4. I refer to dolls according to their gender too.

5. I have never call doll "it" but I don't blame people who do that. I call my doll as my daughter ^0^ of other are him or her and sometimes just Doll.
      Even with my friends who are non-doll people I still refer to her as my daughter. [sometimes make them confuse. Haha]

6. In general there's nothing special in calling a doll "it". Dolls are created by people, bought by people, animated by people... However, I feel uneasy when I call a doll "it". A doll is more than just an object. So, common sense and feelings are always tearing me apart xDD

7. To be honest, I call my doll an 'it', but I tend to try and call it by 'him' on these forums. Don't really know why. 8)
      But I tend to either refer to it as 'it' or 'my doll' or 'my Luka'. Then again, I do call my cat by 'cat' and don't really refer to people by names either. Only those who are closest to me or if I need to get their attention directly, so I guess that just rolls over. =P

8. I don't think much about this because in my lenguage all the objects has a "sex" when we want to talk about it. ("chair", for example, is "she")
      For me a female doll is "she" and a male is "he" because in geral I don't talk about them in english. I would not have problem calling in english a doll "it", but probably (and automatically xD) I would say "she" and "he".

Haha, now that I'm thinking about this... it's kind of strange call objects and furnishings of "she" and "he", but it's so normal to me that I never thought much about it xD

9. I do call a BJD an "it" if I'm referring to a doll in general, like I would use "they" for group of dolls from a general standpoint (don't know if that makes sense...). I guess one example would be saying "it's (or that's) not a toy!" to a kid who's playing with one of my dolls very roughly.

But there are cases when I gender-specific pronouns. Like if I'm talking about how well certain clothes look on each of my dolls, I'd say "she looks good in sweet lolita dresses."

10. This is my problem. English is my first language, but since I did the majority of my schooling in French I automatically think of many things in terms of male/female. Dolls are no exception.

11. Noo noo! you cant call BJDs "it"! That's just heartless, yeah? ;D

12. Technically animals and babies are referred to as "it" and I don't do it because my sentimental heart rebels :sweat. In dolls . . . it took me a while before I could even call them "dolls" instead of ABJD. I'm much more likely to use she or he to refer to a doll unless it's in a very general case. If I don't know the gender of the doll, I'll dodge the issue or avoid commenting altogether.

13. I would call my dolls "he/she" or "him/her" thou my friends tend to call them "it". But after i told them i was abit sad about them calling my dolls "It" they ended up calling "your girl" "Your boy" thou still from time to time they will call them "It" again.

14. I've never in my life referred to any of my dolls as an "it", and to be honest I find it jarring when someone calls Chae-ri "it". My best friend does this, though I think she does it just to annoy me. Last night I finally came back with "Chae-ri's not an 'it', she's a 'she'." BF just rolled her eyes at me.

15. I call Otavi "he." It just doesn't seem right to call him an "it," since he has a defined character. I dunno... But all my stuffed animals have always had genders too (ever since I was a tiny child) so it might be just me.

16. To me, calling a doll "him" or "her" comes naturally, although it's a bit odd in my mouth when I call my doll a "her" in front of non-doll people because it's still weird for them.

My mother language is Spanish, so I can't really use "it", we use "el" and "la" to refer to "it", so in matter of genre people call my doll a "her" without realizing :)

It made sense in my head :sweat

17. This good thread in my idiom are spanish and is also as a femenine gender "Her" (La muñeca) Is don't exist IT commonly for talk about dolls, but for select a group of things are It also as "keep this thing" XD

18. i call "her" "him" he or she. not it.

19. I use "he," "she," "it," and dolls' individual names in a pretty interchangeable manner.

20. Sometime I call my dolls it, sometimes she. I usually don't think about it.... Then again... I've been know to call people it unintentionally... so.... yeh. It's nothing against the dolls. I accept them as people. ;)