1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you stand the wait for seams?

May 7, 2007

?
  1. No, I don't really care about seams, etc.

2. No, because I can't bear to wait for a month.

3. Yes, the wait and extra fee is worth it, I really like sanded seams, etc.

4. Other (reply in thread)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I've done a couple of FCS MSDs, the first girl I didn't order Sato-Gaeri seam service (snowskin), the second I definitely did (sunlight skin).... I've been considering ordering another (probably snowskin) FCS sometime, and I'd probably have the seams done. It's just an extra nicety that makes your FCS doll that much more special.

Raven

2. Along the edge of everything pretty much. Volks sands seams on the head, but CP ones have them on the head behind the ears.

Photo here- The lines on her torso and leg are the seam lines. Even with her seams being jagged and rough in person, they still barely show up in photos.

3. To be honest I really hate waiting for things just in general, even domestic stuff that only takes like a week or so to come in. That being said, I’d rather just sand it all myself it was really necessary rather than wait an extra month.

4. Yep that's the way I feel. I'm also a little chicken to try & sand my limiteds myself. I sometimes get a little carried away when sanding wood, so the thought of doing that on one of my dolls...:shudder And I really like having someone else do the body coating & sanding because that's less toxic things I have to breathe in. ;)

5. I don't mind seam lines and would'nt pay to have them removed as i kind of like the fact you can see how the doll was put together.

6. I like seams so I don't plan on ever having any of my dolls sanded. Therefore, the extra cost and the extra wait are not worth it to me.

7. i could care less about seams ^^;

8. Seams don't bother me at all. I'd much rather save the money and have the doll faster (with some companies the wait is much longer than one month... remember when DOD sanded their dolls?). And if it did start to irritate me I'd just sand 'em myself.

9. :sweat I actually kind-of like the seam lines.

10. I'm really impatient....if it were a limited I might pay for the sanding but for the most part I want the doll quickly :) Hopefully one day soon I'll get the courage to sand one of them myself.

11. i make it a point to have all those services done to all the dolls i've ordered. i think that it's definitely worth the wait. I've done seam removal myself, but i'm always afraid i might be taking out too much...

12. I'd rather sand seams myself. Part of it is that it's fun to do myself, part of it is that I'm impatient, and then part of it is that I don't want to spend the money. On one doll, the money's not too big of a big deal, but that money starts to add up when spread across three or four dolls... For example, if it were $50.00 to sand the seams on a doll, this quickly adds up to $150 spread across 3 dolls - money I'd rather spend on shoes/wigs/eyes/etc for the dolls.)

13. I haven't been offered such service yet.. but depending on doll.
      If it's limited doll I would pay and wait.
      If not I would do that myself.. I'm not master yet therfore I wouldn't give a try on rare or limited doll :P

14. Nearly all of my dolls have seams and I don't really care about it.. a few of mine came sanded which is also nice but well I just don't really mind it i suppose so its not an issue...

15. I put other cause this is how I feel about it....

One I can do the sanding myself if it really bugs me. Or two I choose companies that offer this in their included doll price so I am out no "extra" money. It just cheaper to do it on my own and if that doll has an outfit that covers everything when am I going to see those seam lines? Only when I change outfits. If there was a real nice outfit I didn't want snagged by seam lines I'd sand but otherwise, *shrugs* it is a doll so one seam line won't make that big of a difference. And waiting even longer to get a doll when it takes about 5 weeks to get here in the first place, no thanks I'd rather have my doll sooner and use the "sanding money" on another outfit or real nice pair of shoes.

16. WHen I can aford it, and it's offered, I do it because I'm even happier with a doll that is "perfect", and I like them to be coated for protection cause I'm so scared of the yellowing :) Of course when I can't do it the seams don't bother me that much, I just think it's a plus, and I'm also scared to dead to do it myself :)

17. I've never really cared about seams. I sanded the seams on my very first doll, since I was assembling her anyway, but the seams on Volks dolls aren't that noticable to me so I don't really care about them.

And I also have concerns about yellowing, since I have heard that sanded areas may discolor differently than unsanded areas. And isn't it recommended to use MSC if you sand seams? I hate MSC on the body, it wears off and requires "maintenence". >.< If it wasn't for the possible yellowing issue, I might pay the extra for sanding, since for the price I think it is a good deal. But I don't want to risk uneven yellowing. Don't know how much truth there is in that though. :sweat

18. The seams themselves don't really bother me. About half of my dolls are unsanded.

But when I first bought a second hand SD 13 body that had been sanded, I found out I really liked the look of the sanded bodies.

And so, over time, I've sanded three dolls bodies.

And halfway through each and every one of them, coated in resin dust and cold and damp from the wet sanding, eyes clammy from the goggles over my glasses and breathing through an uncomfortable mask, my hands hurting from the repetitive motion (I have tendonitis in both wrists), I thought that if I could pay someone $50 RIGHT NOW to do this, I would.

So yes, it's worth every penny to me to have someone else deal with it, someone else with more experience and proper gear and equipment. Every time I've had the opportunity to have it done, I've taken it, and have no regrets. It's not that I can't do it, it's that I don't enjoy it and I really don't think it's the best use of my time.

Marcia.

19. I voted other because both options 1 and 2 are correct for me.
      Firstly I dont really care if the seams are there or not.Yes it does look nice when they aren't but
      I'm not willing to pay so much more and wait a whole month longer just not to have the seams. *_*

20. I don't care about seams so I wouldn't pay to have them taken off. also I'd sooner have my doll quicker than wait extra long.