1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you stand the wait for seams?

May 7, 2007

?
  1. No, I don't really care about seams, etc.

2. No, because I can't bear to wait for a month.

3. Yes, the wait and extra fee is worth it, I really like sanded seams, etc.

4. Other (reply in thread)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. That is exactly what I think. I think that working on your doll puts a special kind of creative energy and love into it. It's a great way to bond with the doll. But maybe I'm just saying that because I like to do stuff like that xD

2. I don't mind seams, so I wouldn't bother paying someone else to do it. If they did bother me, I would sand them myself.

3. o_o Luckily, the seams don't bother me. Otherwise, I probably would have waited the longer amount. XDD Cause I would have HATED to sand my own seams.

4. I don't care about the seams that much. I thought seams would bug me, but after two years I still haven't sanded my doll.

It also seems to me that the longer you wait for anything, the more chances are that something will go wrong. I'd feel much more comfortable getting my doll well within PayPal's chargeback period than near or past the cut off. Even certain reputable companies have had bad spots, and I'd like the assurance that there's a real incentive for them to help me if something goes wrong.

5. The seams do bother me. I know how to remove seam lines, but if the company can offer to remove the seams for me, I'm willing to paid for the work and wait. I like Volks, they do the beautiful works.

6. Although I do like the appearance of sanded seams better, I'm just NOT patient enough to wait an extra MONTH for them when I can do them myself in like a week at most ^^;; It's not the cost that bothers me, just the wait.

7. Seams dont bother me so Id rather not wait on sanding. But if they do Id just do it myself..its part of the fun in owning a doll. :D

8. I don't mind seams unless they are really bad. And then I convince PherretLord to take them off for me. ^^;

I'm a cheapskate--I don't order faceups because it's an extra $50, why am I going to pay for seam removal? If I can do it myself, then I do so.

I'm horribly impatient too. "I want my doll, and I want him yesterday!" and all that. XD I think an extra month of waiting would make me crazy.

9. Seams don't bother me in the least. I've been collecting dolls for eons & all dolls with the exception of rotationally molded vinyl have seams so I'm used to it. I certainly won't pay a company to do it & wait forever & I won't do it myself either as the resin dust is toxic & due to my glasses steaming up, I can't wear a dust mask. Besides which I'm very fond of tan dolls & those can't be sanded at all.

10. While I prefer the look of sanded seams, barring special circumstances I'd much rather do it myself - both because of the extra money/time issue raised by having the company do it, and because, for me, working on the doll is part of the fun of owning it.

11. I only notice seams if they are worse than average... I've only had that problem with one doll, and I shaved and sanded them down a bit. My other dolls I haven't touched at all. They have slight seams, but really they are not noticeable at all--by me, at least!

However... I wouldn't mind paying for seam removal OR waiting for it... in certain cases. Although... now that I've had a mess of dolls and not worried about the seams, maybe I should just save the money??? *_*

12. I don't really care about seams. If a doll comes without seams, cool. If it comes with them, equally cool.

13. I don't really think about them, so I doubt I would ever have a company sand them off for me :) but they do kind of bother me when they start to get dirty, which sometimes happens when the seam is quite large. Then I sand them myself :whee:

14. I don't care about it, but I have never expirienced that any of my dolls had really visible seams. If I received a doll that had it really visible seams, I would most likely remove them or have them remove. It is also very likely that I would choose the option to have them removed if I was to order another doll. Especially from the same company.

15. I don't mind sanding my dolls' seams myself. It's not a difficult process, just tedious. And I don't sand every doll--it all depends on how visible and/or rough the seams are. For example, if the seams snag clothes or wigs, they're getting sanded! At any rate, I figure that I'm competent enough to get the job done. Why should I wait a whole other month, and spend an additional $30-$50, for a service I can perform at home?

16. I love that Volks offers this service if you choose.. The doll poses so nicely sueded and also feels so smooth.. And they coat the doll after with their UV protector. It really is worth the price!

17. I sand them myself if they come with seams.

18. I voted other. I severely dislike seams on my dolls, but I like removing them myself. I'm much in to the hobby aspect of these dolls. ^_^

19. I don't know...I havent bought my first doll yet. However I am strongly thinking of going with Soom since they offer sanding and blushing services....as I cannot do the sanding myself.

20. I pretty much feel like you, purplewiz. I do like the feel of the sanded ones, but it's not a big deal to me. Most of my dolls are unsanded. (and 90% of the time I dont even notice their seems. and most of the time the seams are not very noticable at all (ie they are small seams...))
      But if I could pay someone _NOW_ to sand my dolls for me, I might do it. Sometimes I wish I'd waited that extra month to have them sanded.

My main issue with sanding is with a new doll... I'm desperate to see the new doll. I can't stand it... so it's very hard for me to click that "wait an extra month to get it sanded" button. hehe...

but when I have tried to sand dolls on my own, it tooks so long, that I found myself thinking "this is totally worth more than $50...! aggggh!"

I think I may move towards getting the seams sanded on my future dolls (if there are any...) I hope eventually Volks offers a service like they do in Japan were they allow you to have your dolls sanded after the fact for a fee. I think I'd probably do that on a few of my dolls, even though I'd have to be parted from them for a month.