1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Car seats ... do you use them?

Jan 10, 2009

1. Yeah, I'm with you on that. Aside from the weirdness, I'd just rather have my dolls in a well-padded bag. No sun, less worry about damage, and I can ensure that I can grab the toys and run to do whatever I brought them out for.

2. On two occasions I've had one of my boys ride in the passenger seat of my car, wearing the lap sash of the seatbelt. One was an MSD and we were travelling in the evening, so no problems there. But when Lucah (DOD Ducan) was in the front seat, the sun was shining on him so I doubt I'd ever do it again. Depending on how many are travelling with me, my dolls usually travel in the boot in a dollie bag, shopping bags or a laundry basket with cushions for padding. Buying a car seat for a doll? I don't think so.

3. Well, I don't own my own car, and we don't have a carseat anyways...I don't think I'd buy one for my BJD. Kori has only been out 3 times so far, and he's ridden in my lap...though when I do start driving, I'm sure he'll ride shot gun x3 (ofcourse wearing a seatbelt)

4. I think the carseat thing is a bit weird- there's no reason to make it A) that obvious or b) that extreme. I'm spending enough just being involved in the hobby and I really don't want to go overboard in any case. I definately agree with the others so far- it's not necessary to go all the way out like that. I'd just carry my boys in my arms or in their boxes, and when I can finally afford/make a carry case for them then in that. No complex car-seat or baby pram or anything else that I find weird/creepy/overdone.

PS: there are those newborn versions that aren't bjds that people carry around like real babies etc. and that's exactly why I wouldn't want any child/baby related props for my boys- I'm definately not interested in using them like that.

5. Well why?

For "freaking the mundanes"? Not a good idea. Roads are for driving on, not making a spectacle that might cause an accident. Besides, anyone peering into my car so closely he could see that there is a doll in a child seat, I probably would not want peering into my car at all.

For safety for the doll? It's less safe in a child seat than in a padded carrier. If there is an accident it will get tossed around and bang against the hard parts of the car seat, and could get scratched or gouged by things flying around the car. There are a lot more things lying around loose in your car than most people ever think about. My husband was on our volunteer fire department for several years and they were generally the first responders to accidents. We've seen people hurt by keys, cans, packages, books, ice-scrapers, tire-irons, crowbars, bats, balls, and the contents of the glove-box when it popped open, and a myriad of other things people don't think twice about until there is an accident and it flies at them.

6. ...I have a hard enough time with the BOOSTER seat I use when i'm babysitting (watching an active 7 year old, while trying to get the seat in the car = chaos). No, my dolls, well, the way they travel depends on the destination. If we're out to the mall for shopping, or any other random errand, they sit in either the passenger seat (buckled) OR if i have someone with me they sit in that person's lap (if they're ok with it) or in the 'center' front seat my car has, and i buckle that lap belt to hold them in. If we're on the way to a meet, they usually get put in a padded duffle bag, or a suitcase. Same goes for if I'm dropping them off for work, or taking them to work. If I am a passanger, they usually sit on my lap. No offense, I just think a car seat is a bit..extreme.

7. I think it's really unneeded~ @_@

8. ehh thats a bit overboard for me. |: I just put them in my bag, or if my bag is to small just have them sit on my lap.

9. My 70Cm actually rides in the real seat of a car. He has the seat belt strapped around him and he rides exactly like that. Unless he's in his case then he's in that. Usually though my boys are in their cases. However when I take one or two out they are in the seats. XD Strapped in and ready to go! XD

[​IMG]

There ya go, Adonis all strapped in with my doggy bag from Joe's Crab shack. Probably the oddest prop he's ever had....XD Oh and Ha, you can see my 69Eyes tour shirt from 07 reflected in the window of the car. XD

10. when i was still all lovey-dovey with my first doll, Reimu, i used to make her sit in my lap and hold her hand, mostly because our family is formed by 5 persons, we often even have extra people in the car, and there's no chance a doll could steal a seat. plus, i hate the impression that the belt is strangling my girl.

11. Tanal and Christopher have both traveled simply strapped into the passenger seat in my truck. Originally I would half sit Tanal in my purse and belt him in that way for added security, but after a couple trips to my parents' (225 miles) I quit bothering. Gamrut is always well covered/hidden/etc when travelling because he's white skin, and thothep actually fits in the case my mum bought me (well, Christopher can just squeeze in there with him).

So now I'll have one doll out with me while travelling and everybody else carefully packed away with much padding. And Tanal is the one out the most, he was so yellow a tone when he came to me brand new from the company that I just haven't been able to worry about him yellowing further. For short trips they may simply get snuggled between things in the back seat (like stuck sitting in the purse again) rather than packed up carefully.

No dolls have ridden in the bed of my truck so far...

12. No, I don't see the point in using a car seat. There's a lot of oddities about the hobby that I accept and don't mind explaining to strangers, but I feel that's quite firmly past the line of overdoing it and into Uncanny Valley territory. Buckling them into the seat for a giggle is one thing, but I'm not interested in extending the illusion any farther.

13. Except for the massive 90cm (1/2size!) which would prolly work in an infant seat, there are a couple ways I carry my crew around. This is the usual way for just one and me

[​IMG]

I am a Special Needs school bus driver, my kids adore my dolls, so they visit sometimes:
      [​IMG]
      This bag when opened cradles the MSD size boys I have nicely, none have ever fallen out.

[​IMG]

The big girls ride perfectly (they ride more because they are not breakable, Dollfie Dreams) in my blind spot with the heal of the right foot wedged into the door pull. I say 'blind spot' because of the body panel there so the dolls in no way block my vision. I have parents that are thinking about their own BJD's also after seeing my guys.

Doing Cons, they all get the back seat! I tried all 7 one year but have cut back to 5 now.

14. Oh yeah.... I'm in the Pacific Northwest and sunshine and yellowing isn't a huge problem here. I haven't see it in days! :) My oldest is Tomo, my Volks Kohaku and he has yellowed just from age, I'd say.

15. When my dolls aren't in a bag/purse, they are lying in the floorboard out of the sunlight. I can't justify buying a car seat for a doll.

16. N...No? If I'm worried about my girl falling then 9 times out of 10 I just won't put her in the situation to fall so a car seat would be unnecessary because I would make sure she wouldn't tip over without one. The idea is just too weird for me ^^;;;

17. I`ve never put them in a car seat. If they`re outside their bag in the car, they sit with a seatbelt around them. They usually stay in their bag through, during trips of any kind.

18. Carseats for dolls sounds kinda silly to me. :XD:

I usually lie them on their backs on the front or back seat, and maybe cover them up with a coat if it's that sunny outside. Sometimes I've sat one on my lap.

19. If my doll ever travels out of the house, it's always in his box. So I'll probably just stuff him under the seat in his box - I don't really think dolls need car seats.

20. Agreed. And mine travel similarly... Usually out of sight and (more importantly-) out of direct sunlight... in a padded courier/laptop bag or their Luts carriers.

Like calling the dolls "my kids" or claiming that they have little dolly souls, I think putting them in a child's car seat would come a bit too uncomfortably close to crossing that "Just eccentric or completely off their rockers?"-line for me, too. I think we get more than enough funny looks and hey-look-at-that-freak simply for being adults who own dolls... We don't need to add any fuel to the fire. :lol: