1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing your doll's name

May 16, 2006

1. My small doll's name changed as his owners did. He's probably a very confused boy. I'm not sure what his previous owner called him, but when he became my doll his name was Cursed. It's a long story, but after a few days he became my friend's doll and she called him Sheigt (I'm totally burchering the name because I have no clue how to spell it). Then he returned back to me and became Cursed again.

I'm acutally thinking of changing his name yet again because I'm not too happy with his current name. I didn't care for it in the first place, but I was peer-presured into it (the name comes from an inside joke).

2. Instead of changing names, I just seem to add MORE names xD For instance, I couldn't make up my mind for Wisp, so I gave her a stage name (Wisp), her "real name" (Sayomi), and two middle names from when I couldn't make up my mind (Wendy and Hildagarde).

Arnold's middle name is Linus, which I will probably expand in the future ;)

3. I was thinking about this yesterday, Im expecting my first bjd in a couple of days, I have a name picked out already but Im kinda curious what I do if her name doesnt fit her personality?I mean most of my friends have gone with the expression "oh you can change her name if you want, she's just a doll" but I think bjd's are different.I think that if you changed their name wouldn't it be like someone trying to change your name?So what I want to know is what you guys think about think?Would you?And if I shouldn't worry about it.I just thought it was a topic we should discuss and see what other people think..

4. I understand that there may be other posts, but for the sake of ease, i'll respond here.

I believe that your doll's name reflects a personality, one captured by the unique feeling you get from your doll creation. New face-ups, new style, new hair, change your doll drastically. Just like we cannot change our hair too much, or eye color too much, dolls are far more flexible, and as far as im concerned, my Olivia has a split personality. Should you want to change your doll's name, You should be sure that it may only reflect a moment in time. Ultimately, the name you choose for your doll reflects your initial opinion. I would never change Olivia's name, but i certainly know that her other personas have their own unique name when she changes her style drastically. You can nickname the personalities without feeling bad. But the original will still be the original, and you cannot change the name of a true child.

5. I've changed names before. Sometimes a certain personality or name just doesn't work. This happens with people too--I have friends who go by completely different names than what they were given at birth and who look and act completely different from how they did when they were younger. So if it doesn't work for her, I don't see why it would be a problem to change it.

6. I feel beter now, I'm not the one who is thinking to change my bjd name! Her name was firsr Shizuma, but now I'm not sure it its the right name

7. google any random name you think you made up, and you'll get results. Unless you want to call your doll something like "Smacacklepack rainbowsheep", that is...

8. I just got my first doll and am worried about the same thing. I have tentatively named her Amara but keep saying "tentative" because I am worried that I won't like the name. I always had this issue with pets too...

9. This thread eases my mind. It takes me ages to choose names for my dolls & then I change them --- often! I've been this way I was a kid.

Some dolls arrive with a name & "personality" in tow, but other dolls' characters evolve slowly over time. Since I like the name & personality to mesh, I'm a big fan of temporary names.;)

10. I have changed the name of one doll. My El. He used to be Naota, but I ended up later thinking that a Soo Ri would better fit Naota's character. So The El became Ryuu instead when I bought a Soo Ri.

11. My DOT boy has a japanese name, but as he develops as a character (I've had him for slightly over half a year) and I add other dolls to my home, I find myself wanting to give him a more 'neutral' name, in other words, non-japanese. I'm also not sure what race he is anymore.

Can't think of any names at the moment, though... so I'm still calling him by his japanese name >.<

12. Was wondering. Have you ever decided to change your doll's name? I'm not talking about right off when you are looking for the name you feel suits them and are decided between some. I mean changing the name of a doll who has had that name for a long time.
      Would you do it and why. I know many people have one character in mind per doll and the name that fits. Would you change the name of a specific doll if you decided to change their character/personality? Or even just decide after some time you like a different name, even if the character/personality stays the same. Rambling I know, sorry. I recently got my Cristal (Victoria St. Saarten) and thought the name suited her, but feel I might change it and am actually feeling guilty about it.

13. Hmmm, this is something I actually have something to say about.
      I write a lot of stories. I love to create characters and give them a name, it's my favourite part. I have a story I'm writing right now with 7 characters in it. I had named them all and gotten to know them by their names, even though the y were still WIP names. When I got around to officially naming them, I changed the names of all the females in the story, and I can't even remember what they are sometimes because I was so used to their first names.
      So it depends. You can rename the character an risk 'losing' her, as I almost did. But you can probably work past that, as long as you believe her new name will be perfect, or that her old name is so wrong it feels weird calling her that.
      So don't feel guilty. Just do what's right. These dolls are so important and it'd be a shame for them to have the wrong names :3

14. I changed my BC Kumi's name because I felt that I wasn't bonding with her, so I re-invented her. she used to be Nezumi; now she is Glycerine.

some people still refer to her as Nezumi (despite having her new name in my signature for months now), and at first I did too, but now I'm used to the change and the new name fits her so much better. I did also feel a little guilty at first because it felt like I was "killing" Nezumi, but the guilt goes away when you realize that you're much more comfortable with the new name. :]

15. I don't know. Like, before I even had a doll I would think up names that might be suitable for each kind. It's like having a child; even before the baby's born and whether or not you know what the personality of the child will be, you would take a long time before finally deciding on a name that will stick with this child for the rest of his/her life. So with my Marie, although I had no intention of choosing her particular mold and stuff, her name fitted her to a tee and everyone agrees. I think in your case, you shouldn't feel guilty. Your doll is new and I'm assuming that if you feel the name doesn't fit her, then it doesn't fit her. But yeah, now I'm rambling. Ha-ha. :) Hope you figure out what her name is though.

16. I just changed my dolls name yesterday, his old name has been gone for a while and i had been searching for a new name that suit him.. finally decided on one yesterday.

Originally he had been a Character Doll, after an anime character.
      But when i decided he was to be original, that name had to go. It would have just kept reminding me of the character xD;

Since he doesnt have his look/personality complete yet, it doesnt really bother me, and i dont feel like ive lost my kid at all.

Hopefully now that he has a name of his own, his personality can show more ^^

17. I would change my dolls' names if I felt like I wasn't bonding with them or it didn't fit the way I wanted them anymore. I was going to with my Feilian Gaia [who I've had for 5 months, so not too long] because besically, I didn't like her name. It was sorta like an impulse-naming. But then I decided I liked it. ^_^ Her style and personality have changed tons, and if it changes so much that her name doesn't fit, I would change it. You shouldn't feel guilty about it! It's sorta like when people change their names. IMO, everything about your doll should fit how you want it :)

18. I sort of view it like adopting a pet. That pet might have been given a name at the shelter that you can't connect with. So you rename it. Just because you didn't care for its name doesn't mean you love it less.

Same with dolls. If the name doesn't suit them, or they outgrow it, or even if you feel awkward saying it, go ahead and change it to something that flatters them.

Then again, I'm the sort of person who would rather have a "no name" doll than one with a name that seems odd to me. It takes me ages to name things... and I've been known to change them afterwards.

19. Okay, so decided on no guilt trip in renaming my girl. On the other hand my oldest doll, Jayce, no matter how I dress him, imagine him, can't see him with any other name.