1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap doll after cheap doll?

Jan 17, 2011

1. thats not what i'm trying to do, i'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about the dolls they like. I'm really not. I just feel like some people who just get cheap dolls for the hell of getting a doll are wasting their money on cheaper things when there are also nice dolls that are more expensive and worth all the money you spend on them. its sad to see people just settle for the cheap dolls just cause they couldn't be bothered waiting to save. i'm not aiming this at the people who just prefer the look or sculpts because obviously the ones who own an excessive amount of cheap dolls aren't just in it %100 for the sculpts their just being impatient.

I started this thread because i was just curious to find out the answer. i thought maybe there was a reason i didn't know LOL just getting education, not trying to offend people.

2. The price has very little to do with whether I like or dislike a doll. If I like it enough to want to buy it, it goes on my list. If I can afford it, I buy it. If it's more expensive than I can afford, I save for it. Very occaisonally I will decide I like it but the asking price is *waaaay* over what I consider it's worth and strike it from my list or admire other people's but don't consider getting one myself.

If people happen to like the styles of dolls from the companies that are less expensive than othrs, they're likely to end up with more of those dolls in their collection than if they were drawn to the styles from the more expensive companuies, or that's my view of it, at any rate.

You seem to beequating cheap or less expensive with not as good. And I really can't see where you're getting that from.

I have dolls from both ends of the price spectrum, as well as in between and I really can't see why some of them are so much more highly priced than others as there's not a lot in it in terms of the dolls themselves.

Teddy

3. I only have one doll at the moment, and he is of the "cheaper" catagory. I did not fall in love with him for his price, but the fact I really enjoyed the look of his face. If you want to spend your money on the companies considered 'cheaper' then go right ahead! AoD has great points in their dolls, and just because I only paid $300 for my boy does not mean he isn't beautiful. I love him to bits and wouldn't ever trade him for a high calibur company doll.

4. When I used to collect a different kind of doll, I was only a student so it took me a long time to save up for them (and they were no-where near as expensive as BJDs). I would go for the cheaper dolls as it meant I could get them quicker, but there were a lot of more expensive dolls that I loved even more. I think it was more of an instant gratification thing. In the end I got tired of settling for second best and just started saving longer for the more expensive ones that I wanted the most.

5. Ok, I feel a need to post here due to my growing army of under $200 dolls.

Once the dolls I ordered in December of last year come in, I will have 9 dolls, all of which are no more than $200 each. Why? Well to be honest, every single doll I've bought, I bought because I loved their sculpts/uniqueness. The only doll I have that retails for $250 ( My DZ Mo), I bought second hand for less than $200 because he had been dyed and his previous owner didn't like his skin color anymore because it wasn't completely even. I don't really mind those little faults, and find him quite nice.

I'll admit, hearing someone proclaim that I "should" just save up for a more expensive doll is something I find a bit on the rude side. The phrase "it's my money, I can do what I want" comes to mind, as it's been said a lot over the various debate threads in regards to other topics. I enjoy and play with all of my dolls, even if my AoD Yos don't pose well. It's never really bothered me that they can't do any fancy posing, as long as all of my dolls can stand on their own, I consider it amazing, as I've heard some can't even get their dolls to do that sometimes.

In short, could I save up $800 to buy a doll if I wanted to? Yes, I most certainly could. Would I? Well, most likely no. I have a "list" of sculpts that I at some time want to buy, and currently the most expensive is in the $300 range, which most consider in the cheap-mid range. Unless an expensive sculpt just absolutely blows me away, it really isn't going to happen. My MSDs, though cheap, are an amazing quality in my opinion. Yeah, I know more expensive dolls might pose better than the ones I have currently, but why can't I just be happy with what I already have and intend to buy?

6. i don't want to sound mean but i kind of agree with you. even the cheaper dolls are expensive. some people just make them look even cheaper, like $10 toys out of a garage sale.

i think if you want to be in this hobby, you should make them look worth their money. I'm not saying my dolls are the best in the world cause they are certainly not, but i try to make them look their quality as much as i can, cause otherwise i just feel like they're not the best they can look.

i'm a pretty crappy sewer so i buy their clothes so i don't make them look crap. sometimes i see photos of dolls where their hair is so messed up they look like they've been under the couch for a few months. why don't people take better care of their expensive or even cheaper BJD's? although i did sew a few things for fun, I made a shirt that actually looks okay. LOL

I suck at face-ups so i just don't do them. but some people seem to not care, and say they're learning. I know i'm crap at it so i don't do it, i don't want to make it look like a 3 year old scribbled on my $200 or more BJD

Even if i was to buy a cheap BJD which some are actually on my list, id still try to make them look expensive.

i was also bought up to respect quality. i just like having my things look the best they can.

Its just like buying a classy car and scratching all the paint and ripping out all the leather LOL

i'm not trying to be a snob. i just think people should respect this hobby.

i actually had cheaper dolls that i did face-ups on, and i actually learnt some of this the hard way before learning i just want my BJD's to look nice, rather than having them for something to do like face-ups.

But if you like sewing and face-ups please continue doing what you love doing! this is only my opinion. and i'm really not any better than anyone else. i know that LOL

Once again i am not aiming this at people who buy cheap dolls because they like the sculpt i'm talking about the people who buy excessive cheap dolls where it gets to a point that they're obviously just buying them for the price or to have a lot of dolls

7. Can you tell my why those people are not allowed to waste their money? I like buying cheap shoes during sales that usually end up being donated to charity after I've worn them a few times. It is a waste of money, but it is my money and I get enjoyment out of being able to find a pair of shoes for $20. I figure some people have fun when they bargain hunt for dolls.
      Some people need the experience of buying something cheap to learn that at times quality comes with a price. You can tell and tell them what you want, but they'll learn after they have experienced it themselves. Even after acquiring that knowledge, people may still chose the cheaper product. I know that most expensive dolls are worth every cent, but I sure do like to bargain hunt for shoes.

I have also mentioned a few posts back that people enjoy the hobby differently and I'd like to add that unless it's illegal or harmful to people's wellbeing, there is no right or wrong way to enjoy this hobby. There are many things other people do in this hobby that I wouldn't do, but that does not make them wrong and that does not make me want to question those people's actions or make them justify themselves. It's just a different way of doing things.

8. It depends on what the person wants. They might like those particular dolls -- people's tastes are different, after all. Just because they aren't what you want doesn't mean they aren't perfect for someone else. Sometimes getting more dolls more quickly can get casts for photostories put together sooner if that's what the owner is wanting to do. Also, I've noticed that some people just aren't comfortable putting over a certain amount into one doll -- it's not really a matter of saving or dolly numbers, it's just the idea of spending more than, I don't know, say $300 on a single doll brings on too much sticker shock.

My own doll family has spanned a pretty big range of prices, and I've owned a lot of dolls. There's pros and cons to almost everything, so it's just personal taste. As I've gone on and personally experienced dolls from various companies I do find myself shifting over to where I definitely tend to be happier with ones that happen to be a bit pricier. However, that's just me, and I wouldn't assume that everyone else should feel the same way.

Does it matter, though? People buy dolls in general for all kinds of reasons. If getting to buy dolls more frequently or being bargain hunters is making them happy, and they're satisfied with what they're getting, then good for them. There's not a thing wrong with it.

9. Buying a $20 pair of shoes on sale is a hell of a lot different to buying a $200 or more BJD. I mean its a lot of money your about to spend shouldn't you think more about it before you go "bargain" hunting on a BJD? its different for their clothes, i bought things cause they were cheap in regards to clothing and wigs and shoes. but it shouldn't be about lets see how cheap i can get a BJD for. it should be getting the doll you like and treating it right. making it look like you actually care about it

if you like a cheap doll then that's great go ahead and buy it. buy it some nice clothes, get it a nice face-up. make it look beautiful. Cheaper dolls are nice too. If you like that doll then buy it because you like it, not cause of the price tag.

10. But it's their money, not yours. Because something would be a waste for you (as you personally wouldn't be happy with the outcome), it doesn't mean it's a waste for someone else. Very little in this hobby is black and white -- there's so many ways to go about doing things, and people have so many different wants and motivations for doing what they do. To you, the hobby is not about getting dolls at very low prices, but your own experiences in the hobby do not equal other people's. There is not one particular thing this hobby is about, there's not one single way to play with dolls, and as long as they aren't doing anything illegal people can and should do what they want with their own dolls and their own money without having to validate their personal choices to other people.

11. I think you have to accept that this is your opinion. Some people will agree with you and some will not. You cannot force people to see things your way, because your way is not the only way.

I'm of the opinion that when people are responsible with their finances, they can buy the cheapest and ugliest piece of doll shaped plastic to chuck it into a dusty corner of the closet if that is what they want. I care about my doll collection and less about what other people think is the "right way" to collect.
      [edit] People may of course disagree with my opinion. ;)

12. If these people want to bargain hunt why don't they just collect barbie dolls, save their money even more. Like why spend it on BJDs and make them look crap and expect us to think they're just like us who spend thousands on our dolls and make them look beautiful as we can, how is that that the same hobby? This is a hobby about classy and elegant dolls, not bargains you found on the internet

13. This. This is what I'm talking about. *highfives*

People have a right to do what makes them happy as long as they're not doing anything illegal, and can support themselves financially when they're doing it.

If someone's less expensive dolls make them happy, good for them! I'm jealous of them because I wish my taste ran towards the less expensive dolls in this hobby. If a doll does everything you want and makes you happy, others have no right to critisise your collection.

ETA: I think we're delving here into the realms also of what constitutes this hobby in the minds of collectors. For some people, yes, it is about having beautiful, elegant dolls in gorgeous gowns with stunning face ups. That's how they collect and all credit to them.

For others (and certainly for me) it's about the interaction - the 'play' - where I can get my dolls to stand and pose, I can talk silly nonsense at them, I can look at them after a hard day and they make me smile. I know my dolls sometimes have messy hair or crumpled clothing, but it doesn't really bother me. My dolls are toys for me. For other people, they're not.

It doesn't matter how people enjoy BJD or which ones they enjoy, as long as they do. It's why there are so many different facets to this hobby and so many different ways to enjoy dolls.

14. yes but thats totally disrespecting our hobby. they then come on here after taking pictures of their neglected doll with all our beautiful dolls that we take care of. thats not okay with me to have that in the same place, they may as well be on a forum with people who collect bargain items and garbage.

Some people have the nicest cheaper dolls, you can tell they care about them, buy them clothes. i'm not talking about all cheap dolls and people who like cheap dolls. talking about people who don't look after them.

15. Wow, you're really not getting it :lol:. Barbies are not like bjds. They look nothing like bjds, they are not as easily customizable as bjds, they are not as posable as bjds, the aesthetic quality and feel is completely different. I'm not knocking Barbie here, as she has tons of her own fans, but to tell a bjd person they should just get a Barbie does...not...compute, lol. My least expensive doll is nothing like a Barbie, and I would always be far happier with him than I would be with a Barbie.

You also can't stand here (sit here?, type here?) and proclaim what this hobby is about. You can tell us what it's about to you, but not what it's about in general to everybody. It doesn't work that way -- and that's the beauty of the hobby and these dolls, really, -- they can be anything to anybody. That's something you really need to keep in mind. It's not just about what draws you.

Also any doll no matter the price can look well cared for or look like crap. Also, not all hobbyists are at the same skill and experience level when it comes to things like sewing, faceups, even setting dolls up for a photograph. It all takes practice and people aren't born knowing how to do everything. And hey, the internet comes with a handy dandy back button, so you don't have to spend lots of time looking at dolls you don't like.

I think telling people what they should and shouldn't do with their own money and doll is far more disrespectful -- not to mention your choice of wording there.

That's really a different topic then -- "Why do people buy dolls and not take care of them?" -- rather than being about cheap dolls as it is something that you see across price ranges.

16. Look people, this person has been having a laugh from post one. Just check the OP - there are two laughing icons. The reasoning behind their arguments has descended ever further into ridiculous snobbery and elitism - the two things bound to stir up trouble around here. This is a troll and a flame thrower, borne from precious snowflake status. Ignore.

17. I see quite a few people mention quality versus price. As someone who's handled all kinds of dolls, I can say that the quality in cheap dolls differs alot. But I wouldn't call any of them bad. People mention bobobie as being bad, but that's only the design of the body that isn't as amazing as some other brands. Other than that, the resin is amazing. There's nothing wrong with it.
      Their design doesn't make them bad in my eyes. There are plenty of people that fall for their design. There's also ways to fix their posing, so I don't see the point. Sure, they will never match up with Minifee's, but they are definately not bad.
      I own a Soom limited tiny and for that price I am not impressed. Price does not equal quality.

@Moemi18: I'm sorry but that is just a silly thing to say. Just because you think they neglect their dolls doesn't mean they don't love them. They take care of them in their own way and that is their every right. They spent money on their dolls so they can do whatever they want with them. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they should be shunned from the forums. That's incredibly elitist and incredibly rude. Would you like it if someone told you you couldn't post pictures or participate in the hobby because they don't like the way you handle your dolls? I doubt it.
      Spending thousands of dollars doesn't make you a better person. It makes you a snob if you think less of the people that don't want to throw around such amounts of money.
      This hobby isn't about "pretty dolls". It's about people and their dolls. Some collect them, some play with them, some take pictures of them. Everyone enjoys it in their own way and you have to right to tell them what's wrong or what's right.

18. I guess this hobby is about a lot of different things. Sometimes I just get sick of scrolling through threads and seeing pictures of dolls who look like they've been in a fight with a dog, or a toddler with a crayon. I just feel like, are they serious? they think those dolls are actually okay to treat like that? even some people mod their dolls into hideous creatures, like why would you do that to something you just spend $200 or more on? in the end of the day you spend your money on what you want. but my brain doesn't get why people want to ruin things that are expensive. seems like they don't care about their belongings and have low value on a hobby that is so expensive.

19. Price does not always equal quality. I've dealt with Resinsouls and I've dealt with Sooms.. and frankly.. while Sooms are lovely (though honestly I don't like their MSD, the only size doll I'll buy) I'd much prefer smooth, seam free Resinsouls that come in an array of colours at little extra cost. I have never been disappointed in the quality of any of my more inexpensive dolls. My PlanetDoll is not only the most beautiful doll I've ever seen in person, but it poses like a dream. My Resinsoul girl and boy are just fantastic. I love the fact that Resinsoul created such lovely double-jointed dolls. A little sueding and some new strings and they pose quite well. They have so much character! (Not to mention that they looked exactly like my characters.. I could not resist! :) )

I've never purchased a doll because they were cheap. I've purchased my dolls because I thought they were beautiful. Many of the more expensive companies just don't appeal to me aesthetically. I just don't like most more expensive companies MSDs mostly because I do not like childish looking dolls. I'm just too picky to care about the price. Fortunately, more 'cheaper' companies than expensive ones have the types of dolls I'm looking for.

I think people rarely 'settle' on more inexpensive dolls. I find, in my experience, the majority of people get these dolls because they are what they find beautiful and valuable. I don't think anyone should be put down because their taste in dolls are on the inexpensive side, likewise I don't feel people should be put down for liking only the most expensive dolls. We all have different taste and this hobby.. there's really no reason to judge other people's choices. This hobby should bring people together so that we can support each other.. because our hobby isn't always the type that people outside of the BJD world get.. We should not divide the community along the lines of 'under $300' or over '$300.'

So... to sum it up.. People get dolls they like, price is usually a very small factor.

20. LOL no no no. i put the laugh face in so people don't get offended. i'm not trying to offend people. Like i said in one of my posts i'm not better than you or anyone else, and i'm certainly not a mythical creature who throws fire XD like what even is that. What the hell even is snowflake status? i don't really think you know what your talking about anyway LOL

@Mirrin you are exactly the person i'm not aiming this at.

@Snow like I said, some cheap dolls are great. I guess some people do care for their things in different ways. I don't even know how i got into the way people treat their dolls. i actually agree i went to far there i shouldn't have said that.

Like i said i have cheap dolls on my list i have no problems with the dolls themselves, its the people i wonder why they do what they do, it was purely out of curiosity.

Sorry to whoever i've offended.

I really can't say anymore cause i'm scared i'll get banned or something LOL.