1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Children handling your dolls?

Jan 17, 2007

1. My boyfriend's 5 year old nephew thought that he would be nice and pick Shou up out of the chair he was in when we were done with dinner the other night. After I got past the "OH GOD! *defense mode*" it was really cute XD He held him just like a baby. I knew he wouldn't hurt him, since he does have a baby brother, I know he knows how to be careful, but there's no denying that accidents happen more often with children..

2. If...

-Their fingers are clean
      -They're not in a hyper mood
      -They promise not to touch the face excessively

Then I would probably let them ^^" for just a little bit... while I supervised... *paranoid?*. Otherwise... if I'm in a situation where I know there will be kids... maybe I'll just bring a Bratz or some other atrocity in my pocket to amuse them o_O (even though I don't own one...)? But really... I can't imagine a situation where I'd be with a little one with my little one...

3. Maybe I'm crazy but I totally don't mind my eight year old cousin playing with my doll. She showed enough interest and care that I bought her an Obitsu body and head of her own. I think it totally depends on the child in question, super vision, and circumstances. her brother however would get pimp slapped. ^^;

4. Luckily, I have a lock on my room door. ::)

5. Well, I mean, I can stand them, but I just... no. They can look, but these are special dolls that they can't touch. Maybe if they've shown a lot of care for their own things, but in general.. anyone below the age of 12... no.

6. >_< No. Just no. I know what its like to be a kid and I know what their parents will probably say if anything breaks so... no T_T they can play with the old barbies >>;;

7. Big NO if I don't know the kids.

Smaller no if I do know them... xD I really want to know the kid, trust the kid etc. I have a little niece too, and she's just the meaning of activity... So she'll never get her hands on my doll until she's a bit older ^^;;

8. No child is allowed near my doll. XD That's a huge hell no. I don't care if they seem to be responsible enough. There's also the fact I don't like young kids and I'm just overly protective of my things around little ones. Highschool age kids and people older I'm more willing to trust and to understand that they are handling something of great value. Just a big huge fat no for little ones.

9. Normally, no..a kid did hold my doll once, at a convention, she was the sister of a doll owner, and seemed to look really sweet..we were sitting down and I was next to her all the time, and she was a sweet kid, but it was still so scary, expecialy since the doll she was holding was Sumiya +___+ Her sister asked me how much Sumiya had cost, and when I told her, the kid quickly gave him back ^^;;

I guess I'm just paranoid, I don't really like kids and even if they're really really sweet..I'd still rather not have them hold my dolls.

10. If I ever have children, of course they'd be allowed to play with my dolls.
      When my neice and nephew are older than the 9 months that they are, they can touch my dolls after I supervise their hand-washing.
      Now with friends' children or children I don't know, I see no reason to even let them LOOK at my dolls, much less touch them.
      Generally, I don't like to see, smell, hear, or touch children. But when they grow up and are able to have a worthwhile conversation with me, I'd welcome them as fellow human beings and willingly share my dolls.

11. These responses are great!
      It's understandable why people wouldn't want little children touching their dolls (especially since they are so expensive). But if its a child you trust enough, who knows how to care for expensive things...
      I'm very, very close to my cousins and they super love me and respect me. They have many barbie dolls of their own, so in comparison to one that looks different, more like a "princess", they treat her like that. (I have mostly female cousins. The boys are 2 and 7, I'd never let them touch her for the factor that they can be rough) n_n

12. I've got a 5 year-old brother and I brought my SD-sized girl over the my parents' house a couple of months back. He was fascinated by her so finally I let him hold her.

It was one of the cutest things ever. He was very careful and held her in his lap. >w<!!! She was almost as big as him! He was so sweet and kept petting her wig until he accidentally grabbed it too hard and it popped off of her head.

There was a moment of "o____o!!!" from him before he tried to squish the wig back onto her head. He finally brought her back over and went "uh...could you fix her for me?" It was so cute.

He also thought it was hilarious when I had her in my lap and kept turning her head so she looked at him. XD!

13. I only let the 12 year old touch my doll a bit, after she has washed and dried her hands. But she's not that interested and mostly wants to feel the weight of the doll and maybe move an arm and feel the hair.

The 2 year old was interested but I would not let her touch. She accepted that (fortunately), and instead she directed me to try every piece of clothing on the doll so she could see what it looked like. When we were done she said "She look like a a-li-en on Tee Vee."

Carolyn

14. I generally don't have a problem, if the kids are older (6+), etc, and I'm supervising.

*However*, I do expect children to ask permission first, just as I'd expect adults to.

There was a local BJD meeting here on Saturday.....midway through, a little girl--maybe 7?--reaches in and picks up my doll. No asking, nothing. *And* she was unaccompanied--who lets a 7-year-old be unaccompanied in a *mall food court*? I gently reprimanded her and told her she needed to ask first--but the expression on her face told me that she knew she was doing something wrong, and she skulked away.

Then again, I'm a weird example--I started collecting antiques, etc, heavily at 14, and I've grown up with antique furniture and bric-a-brac. Once I was old enough to understand, I could touch anything I wanted to in my parents' house--they taught me to be careful and respectful, etc. From reactions of friends who've visited my parents' place, I guess most parents pack things away, put them up high, etc, so that the kids aren't used to fragile things.....?

Marseille

15. I'd never let a child hold one of my dolls if I thought he/she was irresponsible, or if I didn't know him/her very well. I have no problem with my nine year old sister holding my dolls, because she knows how much they cost and how mad I would get if she damaged them. XD

16. I love to let kids hold my dolls. They seem so in awe of them that it just makes me feel all warm in fuzzy inside to know that they got so excited over something. Plus no matter what else we may call them, our dolls are toys and I'm sure the sculptors would enjoy seeing kids happy about them as much as I do! Not to mention you gotta start the next generation of collectors off somewhere!

17. I made the mistake of showing my Nephew (who was 3 at the time) my dolls. I was living inbetween places and thusly had different things stored at different addresses. My dolls for one were at my parents.

I thought one day it would be amusing to see how my nephew reacted to them so I got them out of their boxes and let him have a look at them. Of course he wanted to hug them and run around with them. Which I have to say I didn't let him do.

At that time I had a Delf Shiwoo and a Delf Lishe (who I still own). He took a liking to Shiwoo (I think that may have something to with him having a resemblance to him) and would ask me whenever I was there if he could see the little people.

One day I found out to my horror when arriving at my parents that my nephew had been caught in my parents room (the dolls were stored in their boxes in my parents room out of the way) when he was just about to take shiwoo from his box. God knows what would have happened if he had got him out.

I do have a sneaky suspicion that he may have succeeded in 'playing' with shiwoo as my he mysteriously had a finger broken off one of his hands when I went to get him out. Thankfully the finger was in the box but I do think someone did some slight covering up.

I would let a child touch my dolls again though but I would definitely make sure that they were supervised at all times.

18. Most kids aren't monsters! BJDs also aren't made of glass and frankly are made to be handled and customized..

I brought 5 of my dolls into my daughter's Kindergarten class, spoke briefly about them and allowed 16...yes 16!!! five year olds who were sitting on the floor to handle and pass them around at will.

The noise and excitement level rose to fever pitch, but none of my BJD kids got broken, smudged or even slightly dirty in the process. The class was totally fascinated by my dolls and thrilled to be allowed to "play" with them.

One little girl carefully cuddled Lily (CH Irang) and "hogged" her the whole time, gazing into Lily's face with naked adoration. I thought "there's a future DoA member!" :lol:

Best way to get their attention: hold a doll up and pluck off the wig! :)

It was a fantastic experience I'll never forget.

19. The only "child" I know would be my cousin who is ten. If the situation ever came, yes, I would let him hold my doll; he's not stupid. Also, if you include thirteen-year-olds as children, then yes, I do trust my brother in handling my doll.

20. AIIIIIYEEEEE! Never! One slip of the resin - unnnnh UNNNNNHHHH! A child cannot know the value, material and/or emotional, of these dolls (or of any breakable adult collector's doll, for that matter). Not a good combo, kids and expensive dolls.