1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Children handling your dolls?

Jan 17, 2007

1. I think I'd let my cousin (12) look at my doll, but I'd be hesitant about anyone younger picking her up - one misjudged weight and :doh

2. I let my four year old hold my doll, but only when I'm watching her and she is sitting down, because I don't want her to rub her face or drop her. She has learned pretty quickly that this is a special doll that is Mommy's and only allowed to be touched if asked. She's also learned not to touch the face and if she does, she quickly catches herself and says sorry. So now I let her hold her on the bus and whatnot, and she's very gentle with her and has even become more gentle with her own toys. She just thinks it's the coolest thing that I share my toy with her, and she looks so happy. My doll is SD sized, so she's a little hard for her to pose, so I'm actually considering getting a Too and Bee-A set to split with her when she gets a little older.

3. I drop Wu all the time. *shrugs* It's not the damage that I worry about with children. It's the fact that I dislike children intensely and don't want them anywhere near my things.

4. I wouldn't probably let a child hold mine unless I absolutely trusted the child.
      I know for fact that I wouldn't let any of my nieces, nephews and cousins touch them because they don't treat pieces of art with respect.
      So, it depends on the child.

5. I'm fortunate in that the youngest member of my immediate family is 17 :)

Still, I probably wouldn't like to let any kids even touch my dolls - I'm bad enough about letting my own mother near my computer :sweat and she'd be a lot harder to break!

6. My four year old handles my girls all the time...she has her own tiny (a CD Mary; they're incredibly sturdy, and the sad part is that it was my friends and I who were playing with her when she fell over and snapped her fingers off!) and she is incredibly proud of her and loves Bree very much.

That said, there are some kids I wouldn't trust with my dolls at all. I pretty much take it on a child by child basis.

7. I'm not around little kids often enough to really know how I would react to them touching my doll or if I would let them. However, when I was up north for Christmas with my family, my two-year old cousin didn't even notice Min sitting out in the open. :lol: She was much too busy trying to feed her Cabbage Patch doll.

I think that if they were a little older and I was there to watch over them while they play with the doll then it'd be ok. :)

8. Heehee. That's a good question. Although I know that there are some kids who would certainly be respectful of and careful with my dolls, I've seen and felt that sticky layer of yuck that seems to be permanent on most kids' hands. I never handle my own dolls without washing my hands first, so I really can't imagine letting a child handle them.

It comes up quite a bit--my husband and I are just getting to the age where most of our friends are starting to have kids. We have a decidedly child unsafe house--lots of breakables, two (irresistable) large harps, bunnies who like to bite, display/precious items (like my BJD) out within reach. We have had to make it clear that visits at our house have to be sans kids, otherwise we'd have to rearrange everything we own for a short visit! When we see our friends with children, we offer to help pay for sitters or bring food to their houses (tricks of fairness we learned about from Dear Abby.)

9. xD; I'm paranoid of little children trying to handle my things, mainly cause I've been stolen from and a lot of my things have been broken in the past. >>;; There's no harm in them looking at them or handling dolls like the volks 1/6 since they won't break as easily, but I wouldn't let a child near any others. XD;;

10. My first doll is on the way right now, so I have yet to have any situations like that.

Plus I don't have cousins, neices or nephews. My youngest brother is 15, and my friends don't have young siblings. XDDD

But I think I'd let children touch my doll, I'd make sure they handled her well and explain to them how to be careful. It'll help them understand that people will trust them if their well behaved plus the dolls are very pretty. If I were a kid I'd want to look and touch alittle too. >.>

But I guess if I knew the kid was a total brat, I'd be alittle more cautious. =3

11. well my doll is on it's way... kind of lol

and I have pondered about this topic as I have a nephew who's almsot a year and as he gets older well... I really don't know, depends on his personallity I guess.

But I have to say, right now, that no I don't htin I'd be having him playing with it. But that could also change over time.

Who knows! he may never even be interested in my doll(s) :)

12. since I don't know many people with kids I don't have a problem but if I did, I would have to say no..no touchy the dollies....my roomie won't even touch them...he knows how expensive they are..um kind of..:sweat and won't move them, pose them..

13. No. I don't let my dolls being touched by children. I know there are good children but just to prevent accident.
      But I met adults, whom I warned not to touch the face and be careful with it, STILL treat my dolls roughly....

14. No way. Maybe if I knew any kids really well and knew they were careful, but I don't. There aren't even many adults I'd let touch my dolls :sweat I'm just too scared of an accident happening.

15. My niece loves and adores the dolls so much, about the worst she does is manage to take off the wig and then she tries her hardest (bless her little heart) to put the wigs back on. It's funny to watch her holding them sometimes, especially Rin (my Kohya) I swear he's about as big as she is, but she tries to hold him. She has a particular fondness for the tinies in the household though--I think because they're closer to her size ^_^

She's very young, so I watch her very carefully, but even so she seems to have a clear idea that these dolls are not to be thrown down or mistreated and so I'm very proud of her.

It'll still be a while before I let her handle them without supervision though ^_^

16. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I know I used to ruin dolls as a child, so I would not be able to trust a kid with my 'baby'.

17. I think that it all depends on the child, I saved up for and purchased an Annette Himsted when I was ten, which really freaked out adult collectors, 15 years later she is still in the same condition in which I purchased her.

I also think that you should explain how important the doll is to you and how you would feel if the doll was damaged. Or you could tell them that the doll is alive and that it will attack them in their sleep if they mistreat it.:lol:

In my personal experience its mainly adults that I have to watch out for since majority of them outside of the doll collecting world see dolls of any type as toys and want to treat them as something that can be easily replaced by going to the nearest toy store.:|

18. I have a baby cousin (about three) who I love more than anything in the world. I explained to her parents that if she wanted to play with my doll that was fine, as long as they made sure she was careful with him. All she wanted to do was dress and undress him, which was fine.

I left the room for just a little bit to help with dinner, and when I come back, she is sitting at a high table, him on top, arm out of place, with her parents paying no attention what so ever. I walked over to take him away or at least mover them so she could play on the floor in the other room on the carpet, and just as I get there, WHAM! off the table he falls onto a SLATE floor.

I couldn't help but yell at her parents for not paying attention, then take him away. I didn't want to upset HER, but if her parents couldn't realize that they had to make sure she did the right thing, I wouldn't be able to leave at all.

As much as I love my family, they are the kind of people sometimes that just make you want to scream.

19. Depends on how the kid is acting before hand. I've had it happen a couple of times. Once my family had a BBQ the day i had organised to do some modding and blushing with friends.
      Some of the girls came and plonked themselves down and started asking questions and such. They were very interested and careful so i wasn't the least bit worried.

It's happened once at a dollmeet where you get curious glances so you invite people to come look closer and i'm quite happy to let children hold my own dolls.

20. ...unless their parents let me do the exact same thing the children will be doing to my dolls, to them, it's no deal.
      everyone has to play fair in the playground, right? ^^