1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Children handling your dolls?

Jan 17, 2007

1. When I have my dollies out in public, children often come up and want to hold and touch them. I've taken my cues from a fellow doll collector. First I ask if they would like to hold them, then I have them sit down, and I warn them that they are HEAVY! A lot of the time, I just show kids how the head opens up and the hair comes off and the eyes come out and that prevents them from wanting to touch them at all. Kids tend to be really respectful, and its the parents who don't want the kids to touch them, because they realize they can't pay for them if they get broken!

2. And this is why I did not bring Nova to our Christmas get-together! ;O; I love her little cousin like she's my own family (I have a 2-year old cousin, Lenere, billions of light-years away, in Maine), but the dear girl is still a little too young to understand "NO!!! AHHHHH!!! FRAGILE!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE NOOOO!!!!"

On top of that, while I respect Daisuke and his importance in our small dollie family... Nova is an Unoa hybrid!! ;O; I feel like crying myself to sleep whenever I accidentally drop her...

Hell, I hardly let my 14-year old sister near Nova. xDDD

3. I would not as my dolls are strung so tight they have knocked me in the face and pinched fingers often, I would be afraid my doll would hurt the child.when I have kids it's all Barbie until I know they are ready for the responsibility of so many small and expensive doll parts.

4. I've got 4 smaller brothers and 1 little sister, and I've let them see and hold my Bee-A. And I've let some younger ones from my school see her and hold her. yes, bjd's are expensive, but they are quite robust. I mean, yes, I've dreamed about how she could start crumble or something like that, but worst case scenario is, that the elastics will slip into her... but I'll not let anyone have one of my dolls up high where they can fall down or let anyone with sticky fingers have them!

5. I have a 1,5 year old daughter, and I will _not_ let her touch my dolls once they get here. No way.
      I'll keep them high up and far out of her reach, or they will be in pieces within seconds.
      When she gets older.. Perhaps. It depends on how she turns out, if she'll turn out responsible or reckless.. We'll see.

6. I have a 6 year old daughter, and I've been a doll owner for nearly 2 years now. In the beginning I wouldn't allow my daughter to touch my Nyoko. I was SO afraid she'd break her. But then, I had the same fear of myself. lol. And then, one day, while I was sick and laying on the sofa, my daughter brought me Nyoko. At first glance I was terrified. But then, I noticed, she was taking SLOW steps, and holding her like a baby!!

From that point on, she hugged the dolls VERY close to her, being VERY careful. Even with my tiniest!!! She takes VERY good care of the dolls, and I even let her play with them (to an extent). ^_^

My husband and I are even thinking of getting her own of her very own sometime this year. I think the dolls are an EXCELLENT means to show responsibility. I know it has for my daughter. ^_^

7. I let my 6-year-old son play with "Festy" my Festivous Wishel, he's knows not to play too rough with him... He likes to build him things and make him interact with his other toys and stuffed animals. I even let him take Festy into his bath to play in the water (Festy's a surprisingly good swimmer! XD). I wouldn't let him play with larger, more expensive dolls by himself, but he likes it when I animate a doll and make it talk and "play" with him. ^_^

8. Having received my first doll on Saturday, my fears are confirmed...my seven year old sister spent the better part of the evening hammering on my door and demanding to be allowed to play with Tori. When I finally brought her out to sit with me next to the computer, said sister proceeded to grab her with her grubby hands and handle her roughly. She's been okay up until now, but I think it's time dolly-handling privileges were revoked. :( It's a pity, because she really does like my girl, but she simply can't take care of valuable things. With luck my parents will get her a tiny for her birthday and she'll leave my dear alone.

9. That's actually an excellent idea. With guidance, it could be a GREAT teaching tool. You're right, it's an excellent way of teaching responsiblity if a child is old enough and ready. It sounds like your daughter is. Some children may lack the maturity or motor skills necessary to handle delicate things. But if a child has reached some of those developmental milestones they very well may have the capacity to be a good dollfie owner. You will just need to make sure you can always provide the necessary supervison when she is playing with her doll, because she is still so young she will have some diffilculty with forseeing consequences of some of her actions. But it would be a wonderful thing to share with your daughter and its a great way of letting her know just how much you trust her and how responsiblie behavior brings with it rewards. She is a very lucky little girl.

10. I have no fear in letting my husband's nieces hadle my dolls. They are four and seven years old, and I've had no problems with them. Though the younger one is so tiny herself I feel more safe to give her Lumikide, my MSD sized doll, rather than the bigger ones, simply because they are cumbersome for her to handle. But the older girl has no problems with the bigger dolls.

I wouldn't however, trust my dolls with children I didn't know well. But in the case of the two girls I have no doubts they'll be carefull, since I've been babysitting the two for several years now, and I have seen how carefully and well they handle all their toys :)

11. I will love my dolls when they get here and I love my nephews, who have touched everything I've ever owned. But I will slice off their fingers if they touch my doll!! My youngest nephew,5, already destroyed one of my $50 car models that I built myself and my eldest nephew, 13, has destroyed my rei and asuka figurines twice in the same day. They are NEVER allowed to touch them

12. I don't like children touching any of my things. I just imangine them with sticky hands getting everything dirty and breaking stuff seeing if it'll bend a certain way. Though I've dealt with children that a nightmare would want to see, so maybe that's why.

Well that I don't really like children all that much. I need to work on that.

13. When it comes to kids the only ones that have touched my dolls was a lil 5 year old spoil to the core brat that actually flung her in the corner with my other dolls, her wig was missing and but a blanket over them and i caught him right when her was about to sit on all of them - one of them being a heirloom.

My mom who at the time tought he was an angel told me later he fear the dolls would come alive and hurt him...if he actually broke them then he be in a world of hurt.

14. I would have said no to this thread immediately if it weren't for this one incident in the not-so-distant past...

A four year old guest to my house saw my Paris and my friend's Yukinojo sitting on the table, and was all =OOO at them. So I stood the Yukinojo next to her [they were almost the same height XD] and she went all sparkly-eyed and sort of hugged him. It was really cute.

Her one year old brother, on the other hand, went >_> at the random thing I'd put next to him, and walked away.

I don't think I'd mind letting my cousins play with my boy over Chinese New Year, but my mum'll probably make me clear my desk and bring the dolls upstairs. Oh well. XD

15. Aww, that's really sweet. :aheartbea She definately seems old enough for some sort of a customizable collectable doll, if not a BJD. I'd let her play with mine any day!

16. Well before I did, I would let my nephews look at them while they were sitting on the couch but after my first bjd meet up experience I dont think I will let children handle my dolls anymore...

( Crazy kid I didnt even know came over and tried to pull one of my dolls heads off while she was sitting on a ledge)

17. When I came home from Helene's face-up day (which you should have gone to you know!! Melbourne Australia ain't that far! ;) ) my two small kids were clamoring to see this doll which had taken Mommy away from them. So I let them hold her. I was just a few inches away, ready to lunge, on a carpeted surface... you understand. :)

Well, my four year old (boy) loved holding her but you could see the wheels ticking over in his head. He'd seen this doll (U-noa Sist) when I was putting her together and he was thinking "how does she come apart?". He got a short hold. :)

My two year old (girl) wanted to cuddle her. Said she was pretty. Asked me who this doll was for, hoping it was for her. She got a longer hold, and a promise that when she was a big girl, I'd get her one just like this. "A big one. Just like this." she said. She has a doll of her own - a soft Fisher Price Little People Sonya Lee - and she likes her well enough, but she really *really* loves my U-noa.

18. I wouldn't even let some adults handle a bjd :sweat So children are a big no no! If I had kids and I could explain to them some "safety tips" and watch over it... maybe (but I'd still be terrified :lol:)

19. im just a kid myself :| but my sist will soon be assembled and if litttle kids come calling touching or even looking at my dolls is a big NO!

20. not a chance. i wouldn't let a child hold my doll any more than i would let them hold a rabbit or a guinea pig- these are delicate objects, and i'm not going to take a chance on the child's personality/motor skills.