1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing dolls vs choosing doll makers?

Jan 15, 2007

1. I'm not loyal to any one company. There are some companies that I love for their overall look and can always see myself buying from and some companies who have one or a few dolls I love. I try to stagger my purchases a bit so my dolls don't all look the same but mostly I get tired of the same bodies over and over again.

2. i look at a lot of companies, but mostly luts, fairyland, soom and sometimes volks. i like my dolls to look nice together/matching, so there is lots of dolls i like to look at but not buy.

3. I choose dolls, but I know that certain companies have a style that I find myself drawn to. I've also found that companies will change their sculpts and style over time, so sometimes I lose interest in a company that used to enchant me, and other times, I find myself newly enchanted with a company I hadn't been interested in previously.

4. I don't choose dolls for their company, I choose the dolls because I like the sculpt. But yeah usually the same company will make more than one doll that I like or even a style that I like (Doll Chateau for example) so in the end I will probably own more than one doll from there, but I like them to be different.

5. I like to have them look different from each other. There are makers I prefer but can't always afford them.

6. For me, it depends on the sculpt not the company. If that means I have a couple from the same company than that's how it is. I don't go looking for certain makers and even choose to avoid some if I think they're a bit sketchy in some of their practices. I can say that being loyal to a company could make matching the overall look of two dolls easier, but alas the spiritdoll girls are too big for the character I have in mind to be with my spiritdoll guy so the search continues *_*

7. I have only been interested in BJDs since earlier this year and I'm pretty sure that I will never get to a point where I only want to collect dolls from a certain company or just dolls that fit a certain aesthetic.
      What really matters to me is if a doll fits a character or not and if I plan to buy a doll that is a blank slate (not a pre existing OC) as in the case with my first doll,I'll just search around until I find one that I really love.

8. Well I really like most Leekeworld dolls but if you look at my wishlist and the dolls I've got its totally random... so yeah XD I guess its the doll you just fall in love with the face and body I guess =P

9. I'm loyal to Soom and Volks! It's not because I don't like other company's dolls--it's more because I like everything! In the past I bought pretty much everything I loved, and spent waaaay too much money in the process. So, I decided to narrow it down to the companies I liked best. This is my way of limiting myself to a reasonable amount of dolls and controlling my spending. There is a Bluefairy must-have on my list, but other than that all of my dolls save my first and an early grail doll (both Souldoll) are Soom and Volks.

10. I like different companies for different reasons. But mostly my preference is dolls with superior posing. If I'm going to spend so much money on articulate dolls then they should darn well pose as good as expected! For that reason I do lean toward certain companies over others. But there isn't one single company that's going to have every type of doll I want. So I have a few favorites.