1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing dolls vs choosing doll makers?

Jan 15, 2007

1. It's all about the face for me. Whoever captures my heart is who I buy. I tend to like the more realistic sculpts though I do have some a few stylized ones. And I keep all my dolls in the same size range, the 60cm size so they can share clothes & pose well together.

While I'm not loyal to any one company I often find that there are several dolls from a company that appeal to me & I will always look for new releases from those. So far I have Soom, CP Luts, Narindoll, Unidoll, Lati Red Line, Souldoll, Iplehouse, Elfdoll & DoT with a Customhouse on order. No Volks yet as I haven't found one that fits my criteria & isn't a fortune. I like diversity & exploring different lines gives that to me.

2. Right now I have dolls from 3 differant companies, and 2 differant stories.

When I buy a doll, I buy it because i love it, and worry about making them all work together later. However I think so far my favorite doll BODY has to be CP. I love the way they move. I have gripes about every other company Ive seen so far, dispite how much I love their dolls anyway :sweat

3. I only have one doll right now and he's a CP Ttori. If I get another doll, I will most likely get another CP doll, because I am familiar with their kinds of body and I also love their doll heads. I think my next doll might be an Ani girl. I love dolls with pouting faces. They have little puckered lips and puffy cheeks. SO CUTE! :fangirl

4. It's not about loyalty, unfortunately, for me, it's purely about what I like. (My motives are wholly selfish. XD) It just so happens that, so far, all my boys come from Volks. (But it's interesting to note that all my boys have been modded in some way. XD) I don't worry about not getting different looks even if all my boys come from the same company. After all, a doll's look can change drastically with a simple change of wig, so imagine how much more they can change with a little modding, faceups from different artists, wardrobes from different sources etc. Loyalty is a strange idea to me when it comes to buying stuff (especially expensive stuff). I go for what I'm pleased with and that's that. =)

5. I love second hand dolls. So far it hasn't mattered what company produces the doll. If I see it, think I can work with it, love it and if it's within my budget, I'll buy it!

6. Doll sculpt comes first. If I can only get said doll at one place, I buy there. But if I can get the doll from different places (Like Dollshe, or DIM) then I will look for best customer service.

7. For me I think most important is the sculpt. If I like it, I don't think it really matters which company it's from. Of course, there're some companies that I like a lot of sculpts from, and others that I only like 1 or 2. But I don't think it has anything to do with the company itself, but rather the sculpts that they make.

8. All of my wish list dolls are CP. They're my favorite <3

Second up is DOD.

I have no problem with them all being from the same company. CP's dolls are beautiful and they fit what I'm looking for.

9. I do have favourite companies, but I do not shop exclusively with them. I adore Bluefairy dolls and would own more if I could justify it, they are easily my fave doll makers. Only 2 of my 7 are BF dolls, though. Sculpt and size has to work for the characters and they don't provide everything I need. I am willing to try new companies and look around for dolls that fill my needs and really catch my eye.

I do, however, have companies that I refuse to buy from even if I find they sometimes have what I am looking for. Quality, customer service, and my own warped sense of morals keeps me from buying from them. I tend to do this in other areas as well. As much as I love Target's cheap, trendy clothes, I refuse to shop there and give my money to right wing fundamentalists. Even if a part of me weeps on the inside cause I want the cute clothes ;o;

10. i wouldn't say i'm loyal to one doll maker exactly..
      i like a lot of molds and usually am constantly looking at them
      but dod seems to be the only company i'm excited to buy from
      ..maybe i just haven't found another doll i find just as beautiful as dods? :T

11. I search through most companies' sites quite often, but there are some I VERY rarely look at because I just am not fond of their dolls sculpts. I do buy dolls from all different companies, although for mini-sized I definitely do by far prefer Angel Region... although Volks Mika, Hewitt, and MSD F-06 are all very tempting...

As far as bodies go, if I specifically don't like the looks or the apparent poseablity of a company's body, I will just get its head and buy a different body to go with it.

12. I tend to go for the molds that I like. For instance, my first doll is a Delf Dark Elf Soo by CP, but my second is a Cherish. It just depends on what appeals to me. :aheartbea

13. For me, it's all about a combination of face mold and the body - the body is very important for me, too. I don't have any hybrids at this point because of resin-matching issues, but I won't rule it out in the future.

My collection is primarily Volks at the moment, with DOD, CP, Lati, and Dollmore represented as well, but my wishlist is almost exclusively Dollshe, with Unidoll and DOD mixed in as well.

14. I couldn't imagine buying a doll I didn't really like because of its brand name*_* Seriously, I gave up on brand snobbery stuff back in the early 80's when "preppies" were the thing... the very annoying thing ;)

It's all about how the doll looks and whether it speaks to me in some way. Since I don't really have any particular stories in mind for these folks, it's really very much about their overall "feel."

It does seem that I have some favorite companies -- Elfdoll, CP/Luts, Domuya, and Dollzone -- but it was entirely a matter of face and body preference to me. Oh, and size... I do tend to prefer smaller dolls ;)

15. I normally prefer to choose the doll than the brand @&#8230;&#8230;@ it's really annoying for me the people that ONLY buys dolls from Volks because it's the only brand and if you doesn't buy dolls from there you cannot be my friend,.... OMG I hate it! &#242;_&#243;

in my wishlist there is 2 girls from Blue Fairy, one boy from Luts and one girl from Volks, yeah I like it, variety in the family^-^ well I doesn't matter if people only buys their dolls from one brand but I hate when them have that attitude, it makes me go mad

16. I definately look at head sculpt first, but I'm also very aware of different makers. I won't by a doll whose body won't pose the way I want so that rules out some makers (although I may buy the head separately if I really love the sculpt and I think I can live with resin color match). I have mostly Volks and CP with one CH AI and one Elfdoll. I am considering a Uni... I do like having different looks too. So to solve this I have a lot of heads lying around.
      Nancy

17. Certain brands certainly have more clout (Volks) or are just generally hard to get (Hypermaniac)... but I collect based on the doll (sculpt) itself, I am not loyal to any one brand. I start getting goofy if I think I have too many of one particular brand, haha!

Raven

18. I really like a lot of the CP dolls, but there are also a few others I like from other companies (DoD Shall, ElfDoll Sooah, etc.) I don't think I'd deliberately stick to one company, although I might be drawn to the look of one company's sculpts.

19. I really don't care from what house they are while I like them and match my other dolls.

20. I like the doll sculpts themselves, specifically the faces. I tend to like the ones done by certain companies, though. I mainly like the Luts/CP sculpts.