1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing dolls vs choosing doll makers?

Jan 15, 2007

1. Well, most of my earlier 'research' to wanna-have dolls was based on 'I like that company so...'. Now I tend to look past that. I fall in love on head molds, and it doesn't care to me from wich company it is ^^;;

Altough there are certain company's that carry dolls which I really would never want, just because of the way they look, not based on service or anything ^^;; So it's a bit of a half-half with me... (wooh yeah, I'm still weird...)

2. I don't care who's the doll's maker as long as I love the mold. As long as I can bond with it I'll love it no matter which comany it's made by.

3. I dont think I could ever just stick with one company. There are so many beautiful sculpts from so many places~!
      I wouldn't want to miss out on any one due to company bias/favor...however I might not want to order from a company/individual who had a bad record for customer service or too long waiting times.
      I also hate lottery-type sales :|

4. I just buy the dolls I like most, the company doesn't really matter, although some of them have prettier(in my oppinion) molds than others. As a result I have 2 dollshe boys and planning to get another one_^_

5. I've had all sorts of dolls but I can say that having the same type of company dolls is convenient.
      What I dislike most of different dollcompanies is that the resin can be so much different.
      It's also easier to find clothes iff you have similair dolls.
      At the moment I cannot afford more dolls but perhaps in the future I would buy dolls from different companies but I don't think I'll be buying any tiny to 43cm dolls cause I really like the big girl size.
      I did decided to stop mix matching BJD parts from different companies!
      There's also a chance I'll just stick to Volks girls ^_^...I still have some Volks girls on my list I would like to see in person!!

6. I buy based on liking the mold regardless of company, however, I use company as an indicator of what I can expect from the doll.

IE, I probably would not get any more CP 60cm bodies because as much as I love Ferdinand, I hate posing him because of his kicky legs and low hip joint, which I'm likely to find on most CP bodies. So if another CP face called out to me, I'd likely stick the head on another body if I could find a resin match.

7. Hmmm, I'm no expert on the subject because I'm still saving for my first doll, but I think that I'd probably shop around different places to try and find the particular doll I like - though I'd always prefer to see if I can find one in places I know are good quality and good customer service

8. I do not model my dolls after any preexisting characters, so I plan to try and keep to the same company for the most part (I don't need to worry about finding a specific face or appearance). I'd kind of like a uniform look for the whole "family". Although there are many dolls from other makers that I love. I might decide to go for them in the future, provided the size difference isn't too great!

9. Im all about the face sculpts. If I love a face it doesn't matter what company makes it.

But, I have to admit, if the body is nightmare to stand or pose, I will steer clear of that company's dolls. Alot of the pleasure for me with these dolls is their ability to pose.

10. I don't actually care about the company at all so much as the sculpt itself. Because I'm doing character dolls I pick heads that look like the character to me. I have two dolls from two different companies right now, and the third one I'm planning is from a third company. @_@ It's not even that I set out for diversity, either. It's just that the best dolls for what I had in mind happened to be from different companies.

11. When I first got into BJDs, I was a little overwhelmed by ordering from sites written in Engrish, and I used Luts because if my mother had been able to figure it out, I know I could! haha But I quickly found so many dolls from different sites that I want, that I can't stay with one "dealer", hahaha. Addictive substances, yes. ;) If a line of dolls is being carried by more than one online mall, I'll use ones I've used before and had positive experiences with.

12. I like variety! If I could ever expand my doll crew, I plan to get from various companies. But honestly, CP dolls tend to be the eyecatching ones for me. I just can't seem to help but like a lot of the sculpts they release. ^_^ There are two private (not companies) doll makers that I'm eyeing and so far, quite like their style...

13. I don't care who made the doll; I just care about what the doll looks like and if I enjoy the way she looks :)

14. I like a lot of different sculpts and companies... but when I'm buying, I prefer to get dolls that go well with my other dolls. I like dolls that can pose together well... I also like to be able to swap clothes and shoes and wigs and eyes easily, etc.

15. well i would like a mold from another company with my AR girl, but she simply has a way to big head compared to other msd sized dolls..
      (i mean..i think i could buy her a sd body and it won't look odd!!)
      But the other dolls from her artist have the same head size, so thats why im looking for a doll by her artist.

But i would like him to be from another company, so you have a skin color diffrence.. i just..like that i guess XD

I have thought of celling my girl and get a cp shushu.. but yeah >_> as soon as AR releases theyr lf blossomed body version..ther will be no need for that...-waits-

16. I really like DOD but I'm sort of worried that if in the future I end up gettings a luts doll, that the resins will look funny together? I'm not sure how to explain really.. I guess it's just if I want to take pictures of the dolls together, i'll feel funny if their skin tones don't match, or one looks less natural than the other?!

I will probably continue buying from DOD exclusively, but I really fell in love with luts' EL.. so maybe one of these days i'll suck it up e_e

17. Things like differences in resin tone and height don't really bother me, because if you take a picture with a couple of real people, they're not going to all be the same height or skin tone. I think the differences can make things more interesting - which might be why my doll collection is going more diverse. :)

18. I love haveing a "Mixed" faimly! And with the exception of Unoa and Dollzone, have all different companies. Real Missing Link, Dollmore, Doll in Mind, CP, Supia, AngelRegion. I'll have a Doll in Life and a SoulDoll as well. I love being able to enjoy all the various sculpts, molds, and sizes. Its just better to me, then to love and collect only dolls from one company.

I get annoyed with those who seem to only love only one company...or those who say This doll doesnt fit in. None of my dolls really fit in with each other appearence wise...but they do personality wise...and they have created such a wonderful faimly that it makes me happy to see them and its kind of nice to have a functional faimly consider my rl faimly is not all that functional!

So i'm all for mixed faimlies!

19. Sometimes the brand does influence my choice since clothing/shoes are easier to get for certain brands. Also if you have the same brand dolls (same sex same size) it's easier to share clothing. But usually it'll be because of their look.

20. I'm anal about perfect joints. They must move the way they should, they don't pop out, they work. And from all the companies I've had the oppertunity to play with, none really match up to the quality of luts, in my standards. X'D So when I have a character I want to put into dollform, (meaning, for me, they must be perfect), I look at luts first to see if there's a mold for them there. But if I'm just looking for a pretty doll, not for an already existing character, I'm likely to go with another company if one of their molds suits my fancy. XD Did that make sense? I know, I'm weird.