1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your doll's clothing....

Jul 30, 2010

1. What is the limit between overdressing and under dressing a doll, for you?

Under dressing would be a totally naked doll. Overdressed would be that the doll's ability to be posed is unduly restricted.

Regarding the first question, do you also take into consideration the doll's value, when buying it clothes?

No, when I buy things it tends to be thrift store, etc... stuff that strikes me that I can alter to fit my dolls. I sew so any bought things are more just something for them to wear until I finish their outfits.

Planning a doll's outfit based on its given back story/character...?

Yes, my dolls are almost all character dolls.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...

That sounds silly to call it negligence, they are dolls not children. It's like saying if you buy one of those ducks that are displayed on porches with seasonal outfits and you don't dress it in them you are neglecting it.

2. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      (are you influenced much by the money you would need to spend on an outfit, or are you more influenced by the look of the outfit itself - gowns, fur jackets, generally "pretentious" looks?)
      Uuhm.. I.. don't know. o__o By the second thing, do you mean am I repelled by expensive/expensive-looking clothes, or am I attracted by them? I guess I am a little repelled most of the time. I like casual clothes because they are cuter. Fancy is not cute, because it's not as innocent.

Regarding the first question, do you also take into consideration the doll's value, when buying it clothes?
      (example, buy more expensive clothing for more expensive dolls)
      I don't think I would do this. I get the dolls I love, so they are all valuable to me. If I loved one doll less, I might spend less money on its clothes even if it was a more expensive doll. (Or actually I might spend more, in an attempt to make the doll look more appealing to me.)

Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      (Of course nobody likes their doll to go around in its underwear, but does clothing lose its interest to you once you have the doll in your possession? Or on the contrary, once you get the doll you try to give it a good/very good outfit?)
      Yes, I think I do care more about owning the doll. I love their pretty bodies. Clothes are fun to play/experiment with and make different looks, but the most important thing is the doll itself, and a lack of clothing doesn't put me off like it does for some people.

(Yay or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)
      So far I make most of the clothes. But it is hard for me to design and put together an outfit. I'm sort of mixing and matching most of the time.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      (..which is afterwards dressed in the minimum necessary to keep it from being naked?)
      Do you mean cheap or do you mean crappy? Simple and inexpensive clothes are totally fine. I like plain T-shirts and stuff. And some clothes are meant to look kinda shabby and that's cool too. But things that fit like factory-sewn Barbie clothes, with stuff fabric, non-matching articles of clothing, (like, come on, pea-green wedgie-shorts and a baby blue halter top that's too big or whatever..) etc.. then I agree with what your friend said. There's no point in doing that to an expensive doll. (Or even a cheap one, really..) It totally just reminds me of, like, a little kid putting baby clothes on a cat. Much more natural looking to leave it naked.
      I mean, I understand if you can't sew.. I sew some crappy things too. But I just don't use them. (From a viewer's POV, your work is only as good as the worst thing you choose to show. And I like to look at my own stuff as a viewer, so no, my bad projects don't make me happy just because I made them with love or whatever..)

3. -What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      For overdressing a doll, I think about the "rules" for overdressing as person: You wear the dress not the other way around. The outfit must complement the doll. Other than that over/underdressing really depends on the occasion/purpose. Don't wear a ballgown to a baseball game and don't wear dirty sneakers and jeans to high tea kinda idea.

-Regarding the first question, do you also take into consideration the doll's value, when buying it clothes?
      Nope. Clothes can make a doll look more expensive than it really is or cheaper than it is.

-Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      Once I have the doll I try to dress it based on the impression I get from it. For example, if the doll seems like it's cutesy and dainty, I'd look for clothes that fit that idea.

-Planning a doll's outfit based on its given back story/character...?
      I think it's fun to do this but would be easier if you know how to sew yourself. I'm having a hard time finding the right outfit for my March online, but if I could sew I could make it right away from the picture in my head.

-Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      No, I don't think it's mistreatment/negligence to put a doll in cheap clothing. My March wears Barbie and Live and she looks just fine, lol.

-For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?
      Nah. I think of it like the random pictures of anime/game characters dressed in different clothes. It's fun to play around with a character's looks. :)

4. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      my dolls get stuck in what i can whip up till i find the right clothes for them. or get them better clothes made. personally depending on the dolls character's personality do i pic what type of clothes they will wear, i got one hip hop brat who where's huge baggy pants with his boxers hanging out and generally speaking in my opinion, that's trashy but it fits him.

after spending said $500 on said doll, it takes the time to save up agian to afford to get them bought clothes. and it's even harder to find the right ones. so yeah mine sit in trashy hand made clothes for a while.

no, on a hell no. my sooms are in keychain t-shirts. and my dz has the nice greatly done commisioned clothes at this point. i pay the higher price for the items that cost more time and effort and skill to make, that fit my dolls style. and that's the only thing i take into consideration when it comes to how much i'll pay for the clothes. hell the one on the cloth body has the commisioned costomized leather coat that was $100, and the expensive boots and the expensive wig, and the expensive pants. and i haven't bought him a body yet.

Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?usually after they get an outfit so they aren't nakey, the need to find them clothes looses a bit, and i work harder on the customizing them to look they way i want on the physical doll. and sometimes a new doll shows up on the mp i got to have more than so and so needs a specail coat or shirt or pants.

Planning a doll's outfit based on its given back story/character...? yes and it's the only way i want to do it. no need to waste money on expensive clothes that don't fit the character. i don't plan ahead but i'm pretty picky, i have very planned out outfits for my characters. and color schemes and themes. hard to match that sometimes. so i have to make it or commision it. i hate buying things and then not liking them and having to sell them later.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself... since i don't believe there is such thing as dolly neglect or mistreating a toy, i have to say no it doesn't. it's a peice of plastic it has no feelings to it being naked, or dress in sock clothes or being in dollheart.

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?
      clothes really help show someones personality traits. and it's no different for a doll. a street thug won't be caught dead in a suit except at his court hearing. and a victorian queen isn't gonna be seen in a t-shirt and jeans.

5. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

I don't believe in either thing. There's no such thing as overdressed or underdressed as long as the outfit feels right for you. In the case of doll clothes, that outfit feels right when I look at it & the little bell goes off inside my head that means "That's it! That's the look I had in mind!" For some dolls, this moment might entail a sweater, jeans, boots, and a necklace... for other dolls, this may entail a stack of just the right necklaces put on in the right order, wristlets on both wrists, jeans with buckle-on straps, belt, belt-ornament pinned on, dangly-chain pinned to the jeans, boots with extra belt accesssory, a tanktop, a pullover, a fancy coat, and goggles in the hair.

No. I shop for what I like, not by price.

You can get tons of great-looking stuff for cheap. But I don't like doll clothing that looks like Doll Clothes. I like doll clothing that looks like real clothes. Which is pretty spendy. But if it's Just The Thing for a certain doll, then I spend what it takes for it.

Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      (Of course nobody likes their doll to go around in its underwear, but does clothing lose its interest to you once you have the doll in your possession? Or on the contrary, once you get the doll you try to give it a good/very good outfit?)

I don't understand how trying to give your doll a good outfit has anything to do with "how much it means to you as a possession". No, I don't lose interest in the doll once I start shopping for clothes; no, I don't lose interest in its clothes once I have the doll at home; and yes, when I get a doll, I do want it to have a nice outfit. If I don't already have a general style/look planned for the doll beforehand, then I get to try everything in the house on him & see what kind of style I might like for him.

(Yay or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)

Sometimes you don't have much a choice about where you shop-- if you don't sew, then about 98% of your EID clothes have to come from Iplehouse. :lol: But even given choices, I don't care which company my items come from, as long as they've got exactly what I've been looking for. My storage bins are a wild mix-and-match of brands.

Anyway-- sometimes yes, sometimes no. Often I will have a general idea planned in my head for a doll's look or style, & flesh it out from one style-box or other (he'll be a road-warrior gypsy type, or he'll be a non-fancy goth, or he'll be a kinky fetish-club kid) after he gets home. Other times, I have no clue what sort of man will be arriving, so he starts experimenting from scratch with the other boys' clothes, and I shop for him later.

No - I don't care how someone else plays with their own toys.

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?
      (or it doesn't matter much, the doll-OC is the same no matter whether you dress it in a napkin or a ball gown?)

Sure. Sometimes they step out of character just to dress in things that I want to put them in, to please myself. I have a Ryoya who looks mostly like a regular American alterna-boy, but I bought him an oldfashioned Japanese navy-academy uniform just because I wanted to see him in it. It's utterly not him, but he looks hot in it (and seems to smirk like he knows it). And I have a Tan Lion who tries to remain dignified in jeans and boots, yet I always put him in skimpy Egyptian costumes that involve mostly beads. And, once a year, I dress one of my dolls up as a sexy caveman for my birthday. :smallcake: After all, characters change clothes according to their moods, too-- and sometimes you're just in the mood to dress up in costume.

6. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      (are you influenced much by the money you would need to spend on an outfit, or are you more influenced by the look of the outfit itself - gowns, fur jackets, generally "pretentious" looks?)

I don't believe it's possible to "overdress" or "underdress" a doll, really. I've seen outfits I wouldn't use for cut-up scraps that cost hundreds of dollars, and I've seen really fabulous clothing items made out of socks. Yes, SOCKS. So it really depends on the skill of the clothing maker, and also a lot on personal taste.

People get way too hung up on price tags. My first thought when I see a doll outfit is not "How much does it cost?" but "I wonder how Ri-ri would look in that?"

Well, of COURSE the doll means more than the clothing! Otherwise, we'd all be doing Harumika.

(Yea or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)

Well, buying from a single company does have its advantages--you're reasonably assured that the item will fit, you have some quality assurance, etc. Still, I love mixing and matching and buying from completely different brands. And of course, I make my own stuff, too. (And not just out of socks.)

(..which is afterwards dressed in the minimum necessary to keep it from being naked?)

...WHAT.

Seriously, I can't believe anyone would actually accuse an owner of "mistreating" a doll simply because of how it's dressed. Short of physical damage, how do you mistreat a doll, anyway?!

(or it doesn't matter much, the doll-OC is the same no matter whether you dress it in a napkin or a ball gown?)

Of course it doesn't matter! Chae-ri is Chae-ri whether she's wearing a $100 Mardi Gras ball gown or a tube dress made out of a sparkly green sock.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As a final note: Perhaps you could suggest to your friend that sometimes that "makeshift" shirt and pants are handmade by the owner. I don't care how plain they are, handmade clothes that you made just for your doll are 1000000 times more special than even the fanciest, most expensive store-bought outfits. And, seriously, isn't customization and creativity what this hobby is all about?

7. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I don't think I have a limit for overdressing, but they all have one set of underwear...old school underwear (smock's, nighgowns, chemise, etc) But that is more of a practical reson.... to avoid staining and give them some protection against the sun. Im more a quality shopper, the looks of an item may othen fool you

Nope. My less costly doll (Obitsu) have more clothing then the rest all put together (and most expencive clothing)

Simply, no.

Yes, to me it's the outfit and wig that makes the character.

No, some people like a simple style when dressing their doll. Others like expencive clothing, it's a matter of personal taste. Im more skeptical to dressing the dolls in wig/clothing that staines and not protecting the doll, given that the owner knows the item stains and don't care....

Yes, I have to character dolls and they will be dressed according the that character.

8. Like JennyNemesis, I love clothes that are properly scaled to the dolls. My dream outfits are all aggressively accurate corporate gear with occasional forays into more stylish territory. Steve McQueen circa Bullitt for one guy, a touch of Withnail and I for another guy. But generally the clothing is meant to be nondescript, almost boring.

The point, for me, is that when you look at a photoshoot, you should fairly quickly forget you are looking at dolls. The clothes should communicate the story, relate to the scene, be plausible for the characters. Accurate scale details are meant to help you fall into the story. The reaction I am shooting for is not: "What a lovely doll." Rather, "Well, that's an interesting story."

There are many, many ways to interpret what someone's doll clothing choices "mean."

9. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      My doll clothing choices are all based on what will work for the character (and/or setting) I'm trying to convey. Throw into that just a dash of "I WANT THIS FOR MY DOLL IT'S PRETTY," and you'll have my formula for doll clothing purchases. Cost does not have any influence on my purchase choices, except in that there are some things I just can't afford, or can't afford much of, because they're too expensive for me to manage getting them, even if I want them.

Nope.

I don't see either of these aspects of the doll/hobby as being more or less important to me, except in that I'm willing to spend more on a doll itself than I would on a single clothing item or outfit for it, as a general rule.

Always.

Since I only collect these dolls FOR my own gratification, and I don't believe in "doll mistreating/negligence," since these are inanimate objects/belongings and don't experience sensations or feelings, no matter who much we might project onto them, the answer to this is a very firm NO.

In the same sense that seeing a person in dramatically different clothing than that which they usually wear would change my perception of them, yes. But this is a stylistic issue, not a quality issue. Lolita dresses are different from flak vests and BDU's, which are in turn different from jeans or swimsuits. That's as far as it goes.

10. Planning a doll's outfit based on its given back story/character...?
      This.

I am notoriously bad for this. Not only do my characters have set stories, but most of the time they have a trademark element to them. I spent about $50 buying beads to thread into a wig for one of my dolls (and then about 3 days threading...) and I am still hunting for the perfect white trenchcoat for another.

All of my dolls have distinct styles too - a lot of the time I think "I like that, but he wouldn't wear it." or "That is perfect for ____" when I don't really like the style.

Jeans and T-Shirt styles are out for me, just because I don't really wear jeans and T-shirt styles. All of my clothes are fairly 'nice', and on a lazy day, I'm much more likely to throw on a casual dress than I am a pair of sweatpants (I don't even OWN any sweatpants!) This reflects in my dolls too - None of them would be caught dead in anything less than a casual shirt (Shirt, not tee). I suppose we're all just fashionistas in this household. ^^;

11. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      The look of the clothes definitely matters more than the price.
      No, it doesn’t matter.
      The doll’s clothes are one of the main ways I express the doll’s character, so both have to be present. I wouldn’t see any point in owning a doll that only ever wore one set of clothes. So, the clothes and the doll are connected and equally important.
      Yes! This is one of the most fun parts of owning a doll!
      hahaha, no! I wish I could find inexpensive clothes that still looked good!
      Yes, because the doll’s clothes are how people experience the doll’s character. The clothes have to match. If you dress a medieval fire-mage doll in jeans and a Led Zepplin tee, no one is going to understand the doll.

12. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I have a few dolls with rather extensive wardrobes. I do all of my own sewing myself. Sometimes I get the amterials for freee, but I am quite willing to pay for materials or accessories I feel are particularly suited. I once paid $20 for two kimon sleeves to make one of my girls a real authentic kimono. I've paid $40 for shoes I really wanted. I generally make sure everyone gets dressed eventually. If I find myself lingering and not finishing clothes for a particualr doll over a long period of time I start to question whether that doll belongs in my collection.

[/B] I think it happens incidentally. I tend to focus more attention and therefore more sewing tiem on the dolls I'm fond of ATM. The expensive dolls in my posession tend to be the ones I've searched and saved for for often than not.

I collect this type of doll expresly to sew for. The 60-80cm dolls are particularly good tailors models. And I like the ABJD aesthetic.

I have a couple of dolls of my own original characters. Finding stuff for them whether its buying wigs or accessories or making outfits is a bit more fiddly as I often have a very definite notion in my head fo what they should look like.

To each is own. It's your doll and do with it what you like. A certain amount of customization is expected in this hobby and that's good. I think since the initial investment in this hobby is quite dear that people would put the effort in to polishing ti off well with clothes etc... That said I get annoyed with the sheer quantity of FS post and gallery posts of 'lookie what I made' and it's very amateurish sewing. I guess 'cause I can sew and a spend my time looking through post to get inspired for my next project. It's very hard to get inspried when the object you are looking at is very uninspiring.

13. For me, I dress my dolls in whatever fits that character. Whether that's fancy expensive gowns or jeans and tees just depends on the doll. I don't take price into consideration at all. I have one of my less expensive dolls wearing an outfit that cost as much as he did! On the other hand, my most expensive doll can often be found wearing an inexpensive jeans-and-shirt set, with $6 Dollmore sneakers. It's all about the character and what their "style" is.

As far as "undressed/cheaply-dressed dolls considered negligence"... My opinion on that is about the same as the "do some owners mistreat their dolls". It's an inanimate object. And it's your doll... it wouldn't be considered "negligent" to have it stark naked, or wearing a sock dress... because I just don't think a piece of plastic can be "neglected". (general "you" used there, not specific). Second... why should it matter to me how someone else treats their dolls? It's their doll, not mine.

I did have one doll that was pretty much naked or just draped in a piece of fabric (toga!) for the past several months. I just hadn't found anything in her size and in the style I wanted. I'd rather have a naked or scrap-fabric-draped doll than spend money on clothes that aren't really what I want.

14. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      There's really no limit I would say...It's all according to their character. I have some who like elaborate cloths and some who would rather wear a tshirt and jeans.

Nope. It's again all according tot he character...I don't usually buy cloths though only rarely. I prefer to (attempt to) make my own.

Yes and no. I usually get the doll before I try to make cloths or buy them, but I won't take photos or take them to meets unless they have a set of cloths I'm happy with. I design outfits before hand though... But really I think owning the doll and having it dressed right is sort of the same to me.

always! I have a lot of trouble buying cloths caus of this. I have three dolls who will dress casually but the others are more picky...especally Ciel who I have never bought cloths for because nothing fits his style. (which really sucks.)

I don't really consider mistreating and negligence to dolls since they are dolls... whatever makes the owner happiest is what I say.

to some extent. Some of the dolls i have characters for have evolved because of having them as a doll, which i think is sort of cool.

15. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I don't really think there is a limit. It's really a matter of perspective. I'm looking for things for my boy that look nice, suitable for his character, and that is affordable.

No, not really.

I think that dressing seems to be part of the experience. I'm going to enjoy buying clothes for my boy. To me, it's a part of the fun.

I've been actually doing that, for my first doll. When I get him, I'm also getting an outfit for him as a birthday present, so I'm planning a suitable outfit for him. At first I had clothes picked from several different companies, but since LUTS came out with a nice hoodie, it just so happens that I will be getting clothes from one company this time around.

I don't see it as mistreating the doll, seeing as how no damage is being done.

Well, i find that my OCs have their own tastes in clothes, so I will dress them in what that taste calls for since it kind of defines them. But I also enjoy experimenting, so no.

16. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      i guess it depends on the occasion. both of my dolls are always dressed fairly casual-retro, and i like it that way. fancy clothes are nice for certain photo shoots, but to have your doll always dressed up... i wouldn't do it.

well, my boy, yurij, dresses very dirty-hippie but that doesn't mean i don't spent a ton on his clothes because i do. my girl, chloe, dresses like a typical child would, she wears cute little dresses and such.

once i had my first doll (bought her off my sister), i needed clothes for it right away. it's still the same, i like to stock up every so often, while still trying to save up for another doll. my sister, hilariously enough, hadn't thought twice about her after she arrived. she didn't buy her clothes or anything. just a wig. i on the other hand had to spend money on her.

i do a lot of mixing and matching from all sorts of sites. both of my dolls have specific styles though, so i try and keep to them and find what i think will suit them.

sigh. i hate seeing dolls dressed up in socks and stuff, but it happens, right? some people can't afford outfits for them right after they spend a ton of money. i suppose it's okay as long as it's very temporary. if it's permanent, then i definitely disapprove. i bought my doll, then a week later i bought him clothes so they would arrive before he did. unfortunately for my girl, i had her sitting around in the nude for a little while until i got the money to splurge on her.

wellmy dolls both are based on specific story characters of mine, and they have kept their styles all the way. though, my boy doesn't wear jeans very much and i always have him in them. i can sew alright, but i haven't tried doing anything for them yet. soon maybe.

17. What is the limit between overdressing and under dressing a doll, for you?

Umm there isn't one. I mean it depends on what you are going for that particular doll, but ultimately it really is up to the owner's taste or what they can afford at the moment. Granted a courtesan should be dressed up, and boy next doors should be in jeans, but in all honesty that really up to the owner =/

Bah! no no and double no. If you are dressing your dolls in expensive clothes just because they are expensive dolls there is something wrong with you. A doll owner should dress they're dolls in what they want to period. It's that simple. There are not set rules or regulations. No, doll police etc. Dolls should be in what you want them to be in. It's that simple. Any other reason is just silly.

Umm well yes. Clothes, outfits, do not come over night. Even for humans. An owner needs to slowly acquire these things. Of course having the doll should mean more than the clothes. Clothes are the last thing you put on the doll, and should be the last thing you worry about.

Eh yeah sometimes I have, but I learned that I need to be flexible in what I'm looking for. I mean Remy is in rock band, so of course I tried looking for outfits that went with her nightlife first, but ultimately I had to gather those slowly. On the other hand, some stuff was there that fit her. Basically, when I got buying clothes for a doll, I gone with a specific mindset on what that character would and would not wear and that's what I purchase. Then again Remy also raids Orion's closet. Is there a specific outfit that I think screams Remy's backstory, yes but it's for SD =/ Bah!

No. Cheap clothes does not equal bad clothes, and casual clothes does not equal cheap. Simple clothes are a matter of owner choice, further more makeshift clothes aren't always an example of owner neglect. How else are you suppose to learn to sew, if you don't sew badly at first? And of course you'd want to clothe your doll in something that you made for them. Besides that, I don't think putting a doll in sock clothes if you will means that you are mistreating your doll. I mean I guess if someone took a blow torch to their doll that would be mistreating it, but only because it's completely destroying it. I think too often in the doll hobby people get to hung up on the ideal of a doll etc etc But at the end of the day, it's still a doll. It's still an object, and though it may look humanoid, it's not. It doesn't have feelings, nor can it be mistreated by sticking it in bad clothes and bad wigs etc.

18. Good questions:
      What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Most of my dolls only have one 'look', so I can tend to spend more on that particular 'one'. Although having said that, I've gone through a few different types of clothes to get what I want, but then I re-sell what i don't need any more.

Not at all. I have a mixture of expensive and less expensive dolls, but that factor wouldn't matter to me when buying them clothes.

I always try and get the right outfit that will fit the idea I have for my dolls.

I take time to get the right pieces for them. I also commission outfits too to get the right clothes for them, as well as make my own outfits that you can't buy anywhere else.

Not at all. Owners can do what they want. It's their doll. I've found with some of mine, that I've made them outfits very cheaply, but those outfits are some of the most visually expensive looking too.

(or it doesn't matter much, the doll-OC is the same no matter whether you dress it in a napkinor a ball gown?)
      Yes. I have just tried a different wig on one of my dolls, and now his character isn't right. At the time I didn't think it would make any difference, but it does. But to me this also applies to Face ups as well.

19. I have a short answer for this: I make all my own clothes, so cost is not a factor for my dolls. They all have their very nice clothes, including period clothes for my OCs, but I've found that I enjoy them more lounging around in modern streed clothes most of the time. Even my immortal wizard/spy (much spammed on the customizing forum) who should be wearing more midieval (not sure how to spell that) clothing is hanging out in blue jeans. Simply owning the doll is not enough, though, since before the doll even arrives I'm already planning outfits in my head. Though I do try to keep my nobel-born OC dolls in appropriate materials even if they are in a more casual style (velvet, silk, etc.)

I've seen dolls that are expensive wearing grungy-looking clothes, but that's usually because that is their character's style.

20. What is the limit between overdressing and under dressing a doll, for you?
      There is none. I don't believe in overdressed and underdressed for dolls. It's all about whether you like the outfit and it works for the doll you're putting it on. I have a boy who's all about the pvc and leather with fluffies, cuffs, gasmasks, chokers, monocles and any shiny bits of metal he can gather. I also have one who's very much a jeans-and-t-shirt sort of guy. Neither one is over or underdressed, they're just wearing what works for them.

Not at all. I buy what I like and don't worry much about the price (unless I know I can't afford it even by saving up). I have an $800 LE 10 who's wearing Dollmore stuff that cost maybe fifty bucks and a hundred and something dollar doll who's in 3/4 Dollheart. It's all about what I want for the individual doll. The LE is
      a no-frills-basic-black goth boy, while the other guy is one of those frilly-shirted, waistcoated Neo-Victorian types. Finding clothes that work for a specific doll are more importnant than how much they cost and I sometimes have to search long and hard to find just the right piece for any given doll. I also prefer clothes that don't look like doll clothes, so the search is sometimes even harder. That's about the only thting I take into consideration when purchasing clothes.

Usually, but not always. Often I have an idea of what a doll's style is going to be and I can shop accordingly (like with my El, who had to have very specific items), but there have been a couple who I haven't had a clue about until I got them home. In those cases, I just sort through the spare clothes, see what might suit them and go from there. Mixing and matching tends to be the best way for me to put outfits together, as a lot of times I want a certain look and buyig a set or even pieces from a single site won't get me that complete look.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...Uh...no. They're dolls, not children. Sock dresses and cheap or handmade clothes are not mistreatment and it's stupid to say that they are.

Not really. Sean and Seamus are still The Twins whether they're in their leather and slinky black shirts or their pink bunny pyjamas. They might look slightly more ridiculous in the latter, but they'rethe same characters. The same goes for all of my guys and girls. Just because they're not in an outfit that reflects their chosen style doesn't mean they're not the same as when they are. Honestly, they're mostly the kind of guys who'll wear odd things for laughs or try new looks occasionally, anyway, so I do sometimes put them in things that aren't their usual style just for fun or to see how they look. Sometimes I just want to do silly things to my dolls. (LIke putting the fearsome vampire twins in blue&pink bunny pyjamas with matching fluffy white slippers. XD)