1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your doll's clothing....

Jul 30, 2010

1. I once tried making some pants for my doll. I used simple fabric (white cotton) I had laying around because it was the first time I sewed and it was a practise thing. I really did not like to see my doll in them. They weren't horrible or tacky but for some reason they did not have the quality I want to see on him. This is not helping me improve my sewing skills ;p

The upper limit for me is what I can afford, simple as that.

2. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you:
      Well personally i think there isnt a limit. Its all personal opinion and whatever you deem fit.

Regarding the first question, do you also take into consideration the doll's value, when buying it clothes?
      No. Absolutely not. All clothes are based on their story or considering their personality what they would wear.

Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      Well you know what they say "clothes make the man". I think clothes also make the doll (in a way). I mean its easier to see personality from the way they're dressed. You wouldn't want a girl with a cutesy personality to wear rags. You can't see the personality from their. You would dress her in fluffy dresses or something.

Planning a doll's outfit based on its given back story/character...?
      Absolutely. All the outfits are something his/her character might wear. And if not, well, we'll just have to make another story then.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      I dont think so. I mean not everyone can afford the expensive outfits... and cost doesn't necessarily define the value of the outfit itself. I doubt very many of us wear brand name clothing everyday... I wear band t-shirt and jeans or black pants. I do try to buy cheaper things but that doesn't mean im neglecting myself. Im not naked now, am I.

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?
      I think it does. After all people are "seeing" beings and what we see usually defines the way we think.

3. I'm new to making clothes (for myself or otherwise, lol) so I would have to buy it for now. Really it's up to individual taste, like you said. My theory is to have a basic wardrobe for each doll (I like variety) which would include things like really nice clothes, "pajamas," and just an every day outfit. I will admit that I would mix and match from different websites to get the look just right. I'm ordering my first doll after I get my next paycheck; the doll, shoes, wig, and eyes are from Luts and the other things I'm getting are from Dollmore.

4. To be honest i don't think it really matters how you dress your doll, just because the doll was mega expensive, it doesn't mean you have to make them look all fantasy and magical looking, anyway, some dolls suit normal, every day clothes!
      I also think that over dressing them and adding so much takes away from the beauty of the sculpture, remember, it's a beautiful work of art, not just something to hang clothes on to!
      It all depends on your personal taste and what type of BJD you own, there is no right or wrong answer really..

5. I really think it depends on the doll's background and personality.

if it fits them (i dont mean size wise) then it works.

6. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I don't think it's fair to say that this person or that person should pay more or less for outfits, personally I much prefer to see outfits that people have made themselves, even if it is just a napkin or sock couture, there is something far more personal about taking time time out to create an outfit from scratch. Saying that I would never dream of spending more then £50, but thats a personal preference, I don't spend more on doll clothing then I would on clothing for myself (excluding postage and packaging) since it's as most 1/4 the size, it should cost 4 times as much. While I appreciate that one off outfits cost more because you are paying for an original, I find it shocking what some companies can charge for simple clothing My main doll is casually styled anyway, and tends to stick to lacy leggings and an oversized jumper, but that's just the look I like. Although I find the more elaborate outfits beautiful to look at, I just don't want to dress her that way.

Regarding the first question, do you also take into consideration the doll's value, when buying it clothes?
      No, never. It is based purely on need and desire. I think that although if you have a really expensive doll you probably want to show it off to the best of it's ability, at the opposite end of the scale, there is no need to not try your absolute best with any doll based on it's lower price tag. If are going to have an expensive doll (and even the cheap ones aren't something to sniff at) then why would you be satisfied with less then perfect? Also down that path lies elitism which frankly makes me want to cry and never read the internets again.

Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      I think the doll, for many people comes before the outfit. Lots of people I know will keep a doll naked, or clothed improvisationally while they make/wait for the clothes to be shipped. Clothing is comparatively easy to find. Getting a doll you love completely, isn't always the same.

Very often in the case I find that the most true to character are from people who make the costume, failing that (which for a long time, and still sometimes is the case for me and my clumsy sewing skills) mix match seems to work the best. As with any cosplay, it's best to shop around, because what one company is good/bad another company may compliment.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      This is a topic that keeps coming up in the forums, so I have had a while to think about it. As a general rule no, I am probably never going to see the doll and at the end of the day, it's not a child or an animal, it's just a doll! However this does change when you take into account misrepresentation in the marketplace. Although that is another topic, mistreatment in general doesn't bother me. But as long as you are aware that you are buying a damaged doll for a severely marked down price then I see no problem with this. In fact a friend of mine bought a badly damaged/modded head and she has fixed it up, she now has a very adorable sculpt.
      Clothing a doll poorly is not mistreatment, because hey there are worse thing out there, like animal abuse, the state of politics and corruption and the global economic downturn and it's effect on environmental issues.

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?
      Yes of course. I am under no misconception, my dolls are inanimate, but that doesn't mean I don't impress a personality onto them. How they are in my head directly affects how they will be dressed, I think it's part of the anthropomorphism that comes with being into any sort of hobby. But I think it's more that the personality influences the outfit rather then the other way around. Clothes have never ruled my life, and they don't make my decisions in regards to what dolls where. If that was the case they would be much much girlier. As it is I will be happy just looking at frills from the safety of my laptop screen.

7. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Hm. Well, I think a doll should be dressed in either clothing purchased from a doll company or maker that makes clothing specifically for ABJD's or stuff you make yourself. I'm sorry to those who feel differently, but I always WINCE SO HARD when I see barbie clothes or other cheap doll clothes on a ABJD. Generally those clothes are ... well, they're made with pretty crappy materials in comparison to what an ABJD is made from, and it seems to cheapen the look of the doll to me.

Outside of what I wrote above, no. If you can get or make a really nice item for two bucks, then you can! I'd encourage it lol.

I'm half and half. A big part of a doll's persona, to me, is how he or she dresses. Is the doll punky? Girly? Preppy? Goth? It adds to the doll's character.

I don't plan specific outfits yet (I have ideas but I do not know how to sew yet), but I do plan on a style. For instance, Axel, my howl, I knew would wear punk style clothes, and needed some biker style clothes, as he drives a Harley (I swear my dad's bike is rubbing off on me). At the same time, his casual clothing isn't all leathers.

In the end it is to each their own, but to me it does, yes. If you have to makeshift something up until getting nicer clothing, or if it's part of the dolls story (hey, maybe you have a post apoc doll!!), sure, but otherwise it makes me sigh. Why go through all the trouble of buying and keeping such an expensive, beautifully crafted doll, if you're just going to dress it in rags.

Very much! For instance, my Avidan. He is a young man who was turned by his lover after a long time of begging, so that he could become a more powerful demonologist. After all, vampires are immortal. However, despite being a vampiric sorcerer, he's still a teenager, and dresses like it. He wears robes and such when it's appropriate, but he tends to lounge around in hoodies and such, when he's casual. Having him dressed up with a frilly skirt or something cheap and raggish wouldn't look right at all! Especially considering his boyfriend is a dentist that is hundreds of years old, with lots of money saved over the years... he doesn't think twice about buying Avidan nice things lol.

8. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Underdressed for my dolls would be naked. I'm not sure there's an overdressed limit.

Not at all. I buy what looks right for the characters. The price is unimportant.

Simply having the doll at home is great, because it's a starting point. Yet, I don't think my dolls are finished until they have everything that makes them who they are to me. Like an outfit, shoes, eyes, wig, faceup, and accessories).

I mix and match when I can. If what I want isn't available, it's commission time.

People can do whatever they want with their dolls. It's none of my business.

It's definitely important that my dolls look the part.Clothes are part of what makes the doll a certain character to me.

9. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Personally I don't think I'm influenced by the cost of the outfit for how my doll looks. It also really depends on my doll's character. If my doll's character is fashionable, I wouldn't underdress her because I got a good deal on a certain outfit. I love ornate and super detailed gowns and historic or period outfits and those things are pretty expensive. I think for everyday looks or times when my gal isn't out and about, I don't mind putting her in simpler clothing, but still I definitely would want it to fit well and look decent, something fashion sensible, not just any old outfit or frumpy looking clothing just because it was cheap.

No my doll's price does not influence the clothes I buy. No matter her cost, it's her overall look that I'm buying clothes for.

I think for me, owning the doll does somewhat mean more than the way it's dressed. I know exactly what dress I'm going to purchase next, but I've been putting it off till a better time because of the cost. I do have a general idea of a plan when I buy the doll, but once I get it into my hands, the outfits fall into a secondary category. Of course eventually I will get the planned outfit or style, but it falls on the back burner. I sort of look around and see if I can't find an outfit that I like even better than the one I initially wanted.

Yes definitely my outfits are based on the character. I like to mix and match but only rarely can do that because I prefer one of a kind or very special outfits. Those don't tend to mix very well with other clothes.

Personally I don't buy into any of the "mistreating a doll" sort of mentality. The owner paid for the doll and it's completely their choice to not dress or dress the doll in whatever they are comfortable in. I might not personally ever dress my doll in some of those outfits, but that's because it's my own taste. It makes it a lot harder to share your doll with others if it's dressed sloppily or you've just thrown something on that doesn't fit, or barely covers some body parts, but if the owner is ok with that, so be it.

When my doll is just "resting" or pretty much in her sleeping bag, I don't really mind how she's dressed. I just think of it the same way that I wear my pajamas. I might not be caught dead in some of my sleepwear, but since it's comfortable or since no one I'm trying to impress is around, that outfit will do for now. Once she's up and about, I would not dress her certain ways because of her character. That's just not who she is and she would never wear that out in public.

10. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      (are you influenced much by the money you would need to spend on an outfit, or are you more influenced by the look of the outfit itself - gowns, fur jackets, generally "pretentious" looks?)
      Hmmm. I don't think the price matters so much as the quality if thats what you mean. Over dressing a doll to my standerds I suppose would be by adding too many acc. or too many layers? Some doll's characters though may be satisfied with a t-shirt and a pair of jeans, so IMO it would all depend on the doll's style (if the doll has a character)

(example, buy more expensive clothing for more expensive dolls)

No, I wouldn't buy the more expensive doll more expensive clothes just because the doll cost more money to purchase.

Does owning the doll its
      elf as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      (Of course nobody likes their doll to go around in its underwear, but does clothing lose its interest to you once you have the doll in your possession? Or on the contrary, once you get the doll you try to give it a good/very good outfit?)
      Yes, the doll is more important to me than the clothes, I would definitly go for trying to piece together a very nice outfit for him/her, but overall, to me, the doll has more value to me than what it's wearing.

(Yay or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)
      Yay. If the doll has a set character then I would, myself, go ahead and find it an outfit to fit it's character, I would, if necessary, purchase the doll clothing items pieced together from different sites.

(..which is afterwards dressed in the minimum necessary to keep it from being naked?)
      It's up to the owner of the doll. Like I said, overall, I think many people would love the doll so much that even if it just had it's undies on the doll would be fine, the doll is the most important part of the, idk, doll!

I would say so. I mean, if you had an OC which you made into a doll, and this particular OC is a girl whose a tomboy, and she comes with a cute, frilly dress, that might seem strange...it would seme strange that the OC would wear something so opposite than what would usually be worn.

11. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I think the most important thing when dressing a doll, ANY doll, is the outfit "fitting" the character of the doll. I'm not, for example, going to put a medieval style gown on my tiny who dresses Lolita style.

Most of the clothes I have are hand-made, but if I were to buy an outfit, I would not worry about how much I paid for the doll.

I always make sure that my kids are dressed appropriately.

Sometimes, it's necessary to have certain items which are part of a character doll's wardrobe. Example....one of my girls needs corsets, because that is what she tends to wear a lot.

I think it depends. A lot of what I dress my kids in might be considered "cheap" to some people who have the money to get their dolls expensive and pretty clothes. While that's all well and good, and much as I'd like to, I can't afford to do that. I think the price of an outfit doesn't matter and does not necessarily show a doll being mistreated in any way. I once had a cut up a sock to make a quick shirt for my first doll. But that was better and more acceptable to me than him going around shirtless.

The way my character dolls dress is as true to what they would wear as I can make it for the time being. Until I can get together the fabrics and whatnot to make them some clothing.

12. All my dolls will be dressed in clothes made by me. I have never sewn anything in my life so, they would probably suck, but, I guess I will be better at making clothes with time. None of them will have company clothes or shoes (only wigs, and faceups maybe), 'cause I can't afford it, they may get something if I ever join a group order, but my mission is making all the clothes for them. Obviously, there are limitations: a doll that normally dresses in black, won't ever wear the clothes of another doll that wears pinky, cupcakey things, even if that doll has just arrived and it's naked. Overdressed dolls I will never have, yet they won't be underdressed.

13. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      My limit? Well... I don't want my doll wearing sock clothing all the time. But on average days, I also would not have him in expensive $100 outfits because I don't feel its practical, especially if no one will see.

Probably not. I wouldn't buy a doll in the first place just because of its cheap price. If it happens to be nicer to my wallet, then great. But I feel that I wold treat all my dolls equally.

I like the dolls, but I feel they certainly are even more beautiful if beautiful clothes that suit them.

My doll does not have a back ground story, but if he did... I guess he would... I guess it depends on how much I adhere to the background story.

Depends on the definition of mistreating a doll. My view is that the doll belongs to the owner, so the owner can do whatever they want with it. It is a shame if the doll's beauty is quelled because of not-nice clothes though.

Overall, I want my doll to be able to dress in comfy clothes on off days, and nicer outfits on important days where a lot of people will be seeing him. ^^

14. (Gonna re-answer since I now have experience with my doll)

What is the limit between overdressing and under dressing a doll, for you?
      (are you influenced much by the money you would need to spend on an outfit, or are you more influenced by the look of the outfit itself - gowns, fur jackets, generally "pretentious" looks?)
      I feel that there's more to overdressing than under dressing. My doll doesn't need a lot of extra accessories, but they do need a simple outfit consisting of a top, bottom, shoes, and possibly underwear. They don't necessarily need other things like wings, watches, etc,...

I am influenced by the money I would need for an outfit. Ideally, I wanted to get my second doll a school uniform, but they usually ran on the expensive side, so I need something else that looks good, but doesn't cost a ton.

Nope

(Of course nobody likes their doll to go around in its underwear, but does clothing lose its interest to you once you have the doll in your possession? Or on the contrary, once you get the doll you try to give it a good/very good outfit?)
      Clothes are still important. I don't fret over them, though. So they have one outfit for a while? I'm slowly getting the hang of sewing, so I can do some things myself. I like doing things myself.

(Yay or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)
      I'd mix and match. They don't have set outfits (not even the school uniform has a set color combo) so if I can get something that looks good, I don't care where it came from. Plus, they're not going to have the same outfit on in all scenarios. Maybe he's not wearing a uniform?

(..which is afterwards dressed in the minimum necessary to keep it from being naked?)
      Absolutely not. There is just way too much that you don't know. Maybe they like the clothes? Or they can't afford more expensive sets? But I also feel you shouldn't settle to dress them in just about anything just for the sake of dressing them. Even when I can't afford a uniform, I do try to get inexpensive separates that still look relevant to the character, or the style of the doll I'm dressing.

15. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

For me, the limit is not so much based around type of article of clothing, or the price as it is the quality (though this tends to come with a higher price tag). A pair of spectacular in-scale jeans and a well-tailored, flattering shirt is just fine if that's what the character calls for, but an ill-fitting jacket with too-big buttons is just always under-dressing, despite the cost or the intricacy. Basically, as long as the doll looks good, it's well-dressed. As far as over-dressing... I think if there's so much fabric on the doll that it's becoming hard to see the doll and it's general body shape under it, that's a bit overkill.

Um... not really? Then again, so far most of the dolls I owned have all been within the same price range, and all spoiled with very good clothes and expensive face-ups, so the issue hasn't really come up per se. I do have pretty strict standards regarding quality, so my choice of tailors and shops is pretty much always limited. The Soom TG I have coming in is sort of above the price range of most of my other dolls (ah, the joys of christmas sales~) but I'm considering the same exact tailors for him.

Clothes are everything. I mean, well, the doll + face-up + wig + eyes is definitely more important since it's the character who gets to wear the clothes and all, but I NEED my dolls to have good, in-character, flattering clothing, otherwise it's considered incomplete in my eyes. Outfits complete the look of the doll, and vice versa. They're kind of like pieces of a whole. I could've probably purchased at least one SD with the amount of money I spent on clothes, but I'd seriously much rather have fewer well-dressed dolls than more nekkid ones.

Oh yes, totally. On one hand, I carefully scourge my favourite doll clothes makers in an effort to find those few pieces that fit the character perfectly. On the other hand, my characters don't have a set "look" to them, more like a general theme in clothing choices, so it's a matter of finding the things that fit into the theme and the setting in which the doll's character operates. That's really important. The outfits need to make sense for the character, otherwise they just won't be right no matter how good they look.

Nah. Not neglect, but not something I could live with in a million years. My dolls need to look good to me, and to do that they need to have nice, well... everything, otherwise owning them isn't all that enjoyable (...unless I'm in the process of completing the doll). That being said, I'm fully aware of the fact that there are people who think otherwise, and so they're free to do as they wish as long as they're happy with the doll they own. And hey, sometimes I like to pretend I'm an awesome clothing designer and break out the ol' sewing machine to make something for my dolls. It doesn't always look good, but it's practice, trial and error, which will eventually allow me to make nicer things, right?

And make-shift doesn't always look bad or be out of character either. I had a short stint with an SD-sized boy who by virtue of my never owning a doll in his size had a pair of shoes and a belt to his name; he consequently spent his days lounging around in a strip of fancy fabric wrapped around as a toga, sporting my bracelet as a decorative shoulder piece. And I have to say, he actually looked pretty good, especially considering that he was supposed to be an ancient god and all. I was actually going to properly hem the fabric and properly attach my bracelet to the fabric to add to his wardrobe, but he hit the market before I could get around to it.

Oh, yes. Sometimes I'd try something on my doll on a whim and realize that it looks so good that I may actually add the feature to my character (for example, when my tiny Tiki arrived I had no clothes for him, so I temporarily stuck him into an MSD shirt and realized that it looked super cute, so his character started wearing his father's clothes). I've also had situations where I got an outfit I thought would work, put it on the doll, only to realize that it looked really wrong and completely didn't fit the character the doll was supposed to portray, sort of... removing it from the doll. Those outfits didn't hang around for very long.

16. For me, there is no limit to overdressing a doll. In fact, I much prefer said overdressed dolls. I'm all about the lace and frills and accessories and MORE whereas I have no fondness for casually dressed dolls. They're simply not to my taste. I see threads on here like the "how much money would you spend on doll clothes" and hang my head in shame when I hear people would never spend more than double digits on any one outfit, haha~

I used to base my dolls clothing on the character I'd intended him to be, but I found that very much limited the kind of outfits and looks I could put him in and this lessened my enjoyment of the hobby considerably. He ended up renamed and made into a character of his own whom I could change wig colours and outfit styles to my hearts content.

I have to admit, I do have a strong tendancy to crinkle my nose at the sight of dolls dressed in cheap, makeshift clothes. I balk at the thought of paying so much money on a doll only to shove it in ill-fitting and badly made jeans that do nothing but make the entre doll look cheap. My first doll was naked for nearly three months before he got suitable clothing.

17. This seems quite interesting, though, I think some of the times how well a doll is dressed also depends on budget. :sweat

What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

If it was an event like Dolpa, for example, I probably would try to dress my boys as nicely as possible. Other than that.... well I have to say, I want them to look nice. If it's nicely made, no matter what it costs, they'll wear it. I've seen expensive outfits be ill-fitting and just ugly (yes, you Volks. Why are most MSD clothes yuck?).

Not really, nope. One just happens to be more spoiled than the other.

I try to give mine good outfits. They have to match their personalities and also look good. But then, I love fashion and simply refuse to have my dolls in their underwear. (Unless it's a special occasion. heh)

I buy clothes like I buy dolls, because they're pretty to me. Chances are, one of my two boys will wear them. But, there are some things Naoki and Hydee just won't wear, and I don't make them xD

XD Mistreatment? It's a doll.... I think we've come to expect judgment/acceptance from people as if it matters. If it makes you happy/can't afford anything else, go for it.

(or it doesn't matter much, the doll-OC is the same no matter whether you dress it in a napkin or a ball gown?)

It doesn't really matter... it would just be Naoki wearing a sock, or Naoki wearing an h.Naoto limited. ;)

18. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I don't really have a limit either way. I dress mine the way I like them, and have outfits and pieces differing in price and "dressiness" for my own. And I love seeing others in different stages of those things.

Not at all. I buy clothing I think is worth the price and that will fit that dolls particular aesthetic. My bbb gets the same kinda clothes as my DZ as my B&G as did my volks (when I still had her, aha)

Owning the doll is way more important. I get it non-naked, then I worry about getting more quality and fitting pieces as I find them and can afford them.

I don't much "plan" outfits. As I find pieces, I mix and match and change things around. I buy pieces that fit their aesthetics, but as I said, I change things around so much that they don't really have a set "outfit". I do plan their general look around the character and back stories.

I think it's someone who dressed their doll in cheap clothes probably doesn't have much money to drop into this very expensive hobbu, or is starting out as a seamstress themselves. And there is nothing wrong with either one of those things.

The character is more of an influence on the clothes than the other way around. I only have 1 "mess around" doll with no set character, and her clothes do influence who she is for the day.

19. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

I don't really know. I have some future dolls who will be wearing tophats with flowers and flowy dresses and others who will be wearing suits and still another who I haven't planned much at all for yet, and my current doll just wears jackets and jeans and tees and tennies like a normal human teenager all the time, so it really depends on the doll.

No, not really. I would save up for whatever clothes I needed to if they were clothes I really liked.

Well I'm planning on buying outfits -before- my next dolls, so I guess not, lol.

Well my doll definitely doesn't have the personality to be wearing steampunk clothes or Victorian-era suits, so I guess so!

No, I don't think so. People can do whatever they want with their dolls.

(or it doesn't matter much, the doll-OC is the same no matter whether you dress it in a napkin or a ball gown?)

No, not really.

20. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Well... Overdressing, no, I wouldn't say there's a limit, though I'll probably never get anything very flashy for my dolls. For underdressing, as long as they're not naked, it's fine. If they don't have clothes for some reason, well, it can't be helped till I can get some. The first BJD skirt I made, though, is definitely underdressing, because it sucks and my doll's character is supposed to be becoming a fashion designer... XD

Nah, cheap all the way! I wouldn't go over 40 euros when buying clothes for my dolls. Even for the Souldoll SD (610 dollars) I'll get someday, it'll most likely be a casual collar shirt, because that fits the character, and the cheapest one I'm planning on getting, a Luts KDF, will probably have the flashiest clothes, because he likes lolita style. Still, I'm not even sure whether I'll ever buy actual clothes for them, since I want to make those myself. It's a lot cheaper that way and I'll learn to sew that way.

Certainly yeah. Even if all I had was a bandana to wrap around the doll, I'd still be happy to have it.

Why would I get off-character clothes for them? I've planned several doll characters with different tastes on clothing, and that's obviously how they will dress. I might make them wear some off-character clothes for them too, just for fun XD

No way! We all need time to learn to sew if we've never done it before, and it's a good encouragement for doing stuff to see your doll in the crappy outfits you've made... XD For other cheap stuff, why not? Not everyone has money, and it's not very encouraging to work your skin off to get the doll, just to see you have no money for their clothes.
      Though of course it's nicer to look at pics of dolls if there are no loose threads hanging and stuff... XD But sometimes it can't be helped.

For my doll characters, the way they dress is part of the character, so it's the other way around...? My fashion-crazy ones might find new things for their styles though, through trying out different stuff.