1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your doll's clothing....

Jul 30, 2010

1. I have indeed thought similar thoughts as your friend, but when I think of /badly dressed/, it's less of whether the doll is under dressed/overdressed, and more the quality of the clothing (i.e. is it well-made, fits the doll's body, etc.) Anyhow, les answers to your questions~

What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      It is a bit of both, but more the look and quality of the outfit. I won't purchase a badly sewn outfit even if it is cheaper. Of course, something that is well-made and well-priced is what I like to go for! Also, if it's something really pretty or I really love it, then I might be willing to pay more for it. xD

Regarding the first question, do you also take into consideration the doll's value, when buying it clothes?
      Definitely not! I would never purchase clothing that is cheaper just because my doll was less expensive, it doesn't make any sense to do that. xD (Heck, I'd get a cheaper doll so I /could/ buy it more pricey clothes!)

Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      Well, dressing up your dolls is certainly one of the funner aspects, so once I get a doll, of course I have to buy him/her clothes! There's no point in having a nude dolly lying around forever. (e.g. My doll is naked right now, but I'm looking for clothes as we speak~)

Planning a doll's outfit based on its given back story/character...?
      Ooooh lord, now /this/ drives me nuts, because I do this very thing! xD I've tried a million times to consolidate an outfit through one site (trying to reduce shipping) but it hasn't really been working out...which is why my doll is /still/ in the nudeee LOL. I'm planning to order from multiple sites soon /sigh.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      I don't see it as "mistreating/negligence", but I do see it as a waste. If you're going to spend a couple hundred dollars on a doll, might as well dress them in well-made clothing. xD

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?
      Well if you're referring to being in character or OOC, then definitely. I base my dolls on my own OCs...so I try to make them as accurate as possible (e.g. my Unoa's character only wears blue, so I only look for blue clothing for her LOL). This here gets a little restricting because there are so many other clothes I'd want to buy for my doll too, but because I made a character for her, it feels weird if I dress her in clothes that are OOC. Thus, I'm really in a big dilemma in whether or not I should be so hard on myself for keeping my doll "in-character" as opposed to buying other outfits that /I/ like, but don't fit my OC. xD

2. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Well, because I plan on making my own doll clothes, my only real limit is what kind of fabric I can get for free/cheap (haha! Penny pincher!) and what I can make. When I learn to make doll-scale crazy lolita dresses, my dolls will wear them xD to be honest, I plan to make them a variety of things- simple sweaters, fancy frilly dress, anything I feel like as long as it fits their personality (and maybe if it doesn't, hehe)

Regarding the first question, do you also take into consideration the doll's value, when buying it clothes?

I probably wouldn't... but maybe if I was willing to spend $1000 on a doll, I wouldn't be so stingy about getting ahold my clothes for cheap xD

Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      It's kind of equal, maybe? I won't mind it if my doll sits around in her bloomers for a week while I try to make her something cute, but it also matters if she looks nice. They'd have to be CUTE bloomers :lol: I have a thing about my dolls needing to look pretty all the time, I don't want them to just look like toys I never got rid of.

The one doll I have fully planned is an easy one to fit hugely varying styles of clothing to, but in general yes. I think my dolls clothes should match their personality. I'm sure there will be times I dress them up in clothes they don't match, but only for a short period of time to try a different look.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      Well, I don't have a problem with OTHER owners doing it, I mean, pff, not like everyone enjoys the hobby the same as me, but just like how I, personally, would never go out in a plain sweater and jeans, but don't care in the slightest if other people do, I wouldn't toss a doll in an unhemmed shirt unless it was for that kind of look. I'm just silly about clothes that way :sweat

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?
      The doll I'm saving for right now will be an OC of mine, albeit a not very developed one created solely for that doll. I feel like if I were to put her in clothes Cephied would never wear or change her wig to a style Cephied would never be able to pull off, it would automatically remove the doll from the character. Which I don't have a problem with, really. I already have cosplay planned for her that's completely unrelated to her character xD dolls are dolls and OCs are OCs, it's not set in stone that they have to be the same all the time forever for me. Although I suppose it might be a bit more strange if I was planning to mod her at all to match the character..

3. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Overdressing a doll for me would be ball gowns and wedding dresses. Nothing wrong with either, but it would feel oddly formal for my girls. That said, I love masses of frills and petticoats and layers, so I do favour a different sort of 'over dressing.'

I probably wouldn't spend more than $200 on an outfit set. I usually spend closer to $100 for sets, and tell myself I ought to sew my own clothes more often! My dolls are all a similar price range, so I don't dress cheaper dolls in cheaper clothes or anything like that.

They're equally important. I love my dolls but part of the fun of playing with them for me is dressing them up and making clothes and accessories for them. I would not play with them as much if they only had one outfit each.

I buy clothes I like. My doll's characters are only partly formed before they arrive, and I've recently changed my doll story a bit to allow me to dress them more in the style I like.

It isn't negligence, people can do what they like with their dolls, but it is something I find hard to understand when people spend $700 on a doll but can't imagine spending more than $50 on clothes.

It doesn't really matter. As for the napkin... well, if I couldn't afford to buy clothes and wigs and shoes for my dolls, I just wouldn't buy the dolls to begin with. The hobby would be very limiting within that sort of budget. You can make your own clothes and do your own faceups, but even materials for that can get pricey.

Nothing makes me happier in this hobby than seeing beautiful dolls dressed in beautiful clothes :)

4. A weird pet peeve of mine, regarding BJD clothes that are homemade, is when the thread doesn't match the fabric in color. I guess it's because similar-colored fabric can hide stitches that aren't perfectly straight, which can cause things to look bad. I'm still getting the hang of sewing, myself, but it turns me off whenever I see stitches that aren't straight. I have this problem, myself; like, I know that the machine can go as fast as I make it, but I still have a small fear of my machine for some reason, which tends to make my stitches veer off track.

5. Oh my goodness, this is actually a huge peeve of mine too. Unless it's done for stylistic purposes, of course, which looks cool sometimes but you have to know when to use it. I do anything I can't get matching thread for by hand xD which looks a lot nicer on some fabrics anyway and isn't all that much more difficult (or maybe that's just me? o_o I hear people talking about how hard it is to hand-hem but I've always just found it a little slow-moving... never hard)

6. I tend to be of the One outfit per doll school of thought, so that may affect my answers. /disclamer

My limit of underdressing a doll is 'They must not be naked.' However, my preferred state for my dolls is 'complete - in their proper character outfit.

Pfft. Hell no. My most expensive doll is wearing the least expensive clothes at the moment. (A handmade cloak and vest. He has a ponybutt so he doesn't need pants) As long as the clothes look good and suit the doll, I'm good. I don't need to have all of my dolls dressed in Dollheart - It wouldn't suit a lot of their characters, anyway.

I'm going to combine this one with the question below, actually.
      My dolls are physical embodiments of pre-existing characters - the only one who wasn't had a very long and uncomfortable time in my house until a character walked into my head for him. So the outfit that the doll wears is the outfit that the character wears. I don't consider the doll to be 'complete' until the character is wearing his/her proper clothes/wig/eyes. So for example, Cain wasn't complete until I found him a white coat, as the white coat is a symbol I associate with Cain the character.

I get the most satisfaction out of a doll the moment I can look at it and say "yes, that is my character." At that moment, it doesn't matter if they're wearing a tank top and shorts or if they're wearing the most elaborate Dollheart limited set, because they match the image I have for the character in my head.

No. Dolls are inanimate objects and as such cannot be neglected. Also, I don't have any right at all to dictate to someone else what they should do with their doll. I'm not the owner of the doll. They paid for it, their choice.

Like above, once I hit the right outfit for a doll, it stays in that outfit. Then I look at it and feel the satisfaction of a job well done. (Or, if other things need to be changed, the satisfaction of a job one step closer to completion)

7. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      (are you influenced much by the money you would need to spend on an outfit, or are you more influenced by the look of the outfit itself - gowns, fur jackets, generally "pretentious" looks?)
      I don't know if there's really a limit. I have some $5 outfits and some $150 outfits. Generally I'm more interested in how the outfit looks and the look I'm going for for my doll. I have some very specific ideas about what I want my dolls to wear, although I have no problem with them wearing various other outfits from what I might consider their "default" look.

(example, buy more expensive clothing for more expensive dolls)
      Absolutely not. It's more influence by "how much money do I have right now" than anything else.

(Of course nobody likes their doll to go around in its underwear, but does clothing lose its interest to you once you have the doll in your possession? Or on the contrary, once you get the doll you try to give it a good/very good outfit?)
      I love having lots and lots of clothing for my dolls. Ideally, it would be awesome if I had a collection of clothes that was individual for each doll, but considering how many I have, that is unrealistic. However, at least if I had a good, varied collection of clothes, that would be good. I have this tendency to refuse to show up to a meet with a doll dressed in the same outfit the doll had gone to the previous meet in. I like variety.

(Yay or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)
      All my dolls have a given character and a particular asthetic. I try to dress them in clothes that I think they'd appreciate wearing. My intention is to eventually sew what I consider their "default" outfits for each doll, but to have a variety of extra outfit that all in that size can share. Certainly at first I'm not going to be picky. Keeping the kiddos from running around naked is my first priority, but once they've got something to cover their bits, I like to look for somethijng that's a little more "them".

(..which is afterwards dressed in the minimum necessary to keep it from being naked?
      I feel bad for a doll that is dressed soley in a wrapped up blanket, for instance, but as long as it's actually a piece of garment, and actual piece of clothing, even if it's not exactly made to fit that doll, but is tailored to work for them for the time being, then it's okay. This hobby is expensive and not everyone can have everything waiting for an incoming doll. Sometimes you have to save for the doll. Then save for the wig. Then the clothes. It can take time. I don't think I've ever really seen anyone really leave a doll for any length of time just wrapped up in a blanket, though.

(or it doesn't matter much, the doll-OC is the same no matter whether you dress it in a napkin or a ball gown?)
      My doll is the character no matter what they're wearing.

8. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      (are you influenced much by the money you would need to spend on an outfit, or are you more influenced by the look of the outfit itself - gowns, fur jackets, generally "pretentious" looks?)

i want my dolls to look comfortable, and natural, but also interesting. in my fantasy world, it's like incorporating "special" clothing into the everyday.

also, i prefer not to spend lots of money on their clothes. i honestly feel like i've wasted my money if i spend a lot on clothes. there are some exceptions i guess, but nice clothes just doesn't make me happy in the way that the actual doll does, so why spend my hard earned money on something that doesn't add to my happiness. also, i oddly don't like the look of a full outfit of "perfect" doll clothes. it looks a little cold to me sometimes, if that makes sense. like the doll starts to look like a prop for some advertisement or something. i like a little imperfection in an ensemble. it just appears to have more heart that way. maybe i'm crazy, who knows.

never. i can't think like that for some reason. they all seem equal to me.

(Of course nobody likes their doll to go around in its underwear, but does clothing lose its interest to you once you have the doll in your possession? Or on the contrary, once you get the doll you try to give it a good/very good outfit?)

i go through phases. sometimes just having the doll around is enough. i don't feel the need to "complete" it. i just "pretend" that the doll likes hanging out nude in my bed. >> or..other times, i get really into "spoiling" a particular doll. it just feels right to give them lots of props at times.

(Yay or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)

i definitely match the dolls clothing to their character. ^_^

(..which is afterwards dressed in the minimum necessary to keep it from being naked?)

not at all. i personally think that is ridiculous. i hate when people make doll clothing opinions a matter of morality. that's one of my only pet peeves of the doll community. really, it's all about individual choice, and i think it's all perfectly fine. this hobby is for fun right?

(or it doesn't matter much, the doll-OC is the same no matter whether you dress it in a napkin or a ball gown?)

hm... maybe it would influence the way i see them. i don't know though, i always dress my dolls how i think their characters would like to dress. either that or they're naked.

fun questions, thanks!

9. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

Underdresses is either nothing at all(meaning, having nothing to wear, sometimes I have my Muse sit around naked/half naked to admire his chest mod)or unfinished clothes, and overdressed..is there such a thing as overdressing? XD

No. I don't buy their clothes(I make them)but when it comes to materials and time invested in their outfits, I make no distinction between my dolls. If I buy a doll, I like it, if I like it, I want it to look pretty. No matter how expensive they were. My Puki is as well dressed as my Volks Cecile!

The contrary! Making new outfits for them is what makes me go back to them again and again. I like it a lot more than taking pictures or roleplaying or other facets of the hobby.

Hmm..sometimes..I mean, I always get clothing for them that suits the character, but I only have a few 'this is so and so when he does so and so' outfits, like how I'm working on my Seimei's 'battle outfit'. But most of the time, their clothing is what would to them be everyday clothes(of course, walking around in giant unpractical gowns is 'everyday' to them, because hey, they're dolls! They have no need to be practical)

This I find really silly. Who am I to judge on what people do with their dolls? I like to dress mine in pretty dresses, but I have no right to say what you or anyone else is doing with their dolls and the clothes they wear. Mistreatment, really? They're dolls, and it's a hobby. I don't get why, in this hobby, we have such a need to judge each other on what others do with their dolls. If you like them, what do I have to say about it?

I don't really have that, most of my dolls characters come from the doll themselves. It would be strange to see Vasy(who always wears dresses)in a pair of jeans, but I'm pretty sure he'd work it anyway.

10. The way I dress my dolls depends on the setting they're in and the character they're supposed to be. I believe that an outfit can say much more about the personality of a doll than written words ever could, so I want them to LOOK the part they play.
      Regardless of whether the doll is cheap or expensive, I want him to look good, but I have no set amount of money I'm going to spend. Some outfits costs hundreds of dollars where others only cost ten. What I do think is important is that every doll has a distinctive style. Even if they all wear jeans and shirts, there should be details that ensure that no other doll in my crew would wear that combination, except for the one wearing it.

As for the whole doll negligence question: you know, I agree with Raou here. I don't get why we should judge each other on what we do with our dolls. They're plastic objects! No one could possibly neglect something like that. And who am I to say what someone should do with their doll? It's not mine and I have no right to take away someone's joy for a doll, just because it's not my taste.

11. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Personally, underdressing is not having an outfit for the doll to wear when they arrive, or having a naked doll for a long time. I know that it is difficult to get all of the clothing you want for your doll quickly, especially with shipping costs and customs and buying from different sites, or simply wanting to see if you bond with the doll well enough to justify spending more money, but I think one basic outfit should be there for the doll when they arrive. In my case, I have only ordered full sets, so I have not had the need to make a purchase of clothing before they arrive.
      Overdressing is having too much clothing for the doll. Although I get carried away with looking at outfits myself, buying a closet of clothing for a doll is a bit extreme. Or having six pairs of jeans for one doll. Or multiple items of the same type of clothing as a "just in case they get dirty" thing.

No. I buy the clothing to fit my doll's personality and looks, and not it's price. However I might be more likely to justify the expense of a $500 gown for an SD than for pukipuki. But that has more to do with smaller dolls having cheaper clothing than bigger dolls, simply because of the limited amount of fabric used.

I think I like my dolls partially because of the way they are dressed. After all, even with people you judge who and how they are by the way they are dressed. So the clothing must fit to my doll, and they each have one "good" outfit, and will get one "casual" outfit and even summer/winter clothes, as long as the clothes suit them.

I do fit the clothing to the characters. Lewi will always be a little prince, but I will get him a hoody and jeans too. However I intend to have a crown on the hoody. Little details that enable him to be dressed casually, but still retain his character. I will for sure buy various items from single sites if the look like they could be a good outfit, but also mix ant match outfits from different sites, especially when some sites are cheaper.

No. I would personally not keep a doll naked just because I only wanted a doll, because I think part of having the doll is playing with it and dressing it, giving it makeovers, and taking photos of it. However I have no problem with getting makeshift, home-made, sale or cheap clothes as long as they fit the image I have of my doll.

Yes. Way. If Lewi's full set were not princely, he might not be a prince in my character sheet. But he is. So he will be.

12. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      seeing as how I am on a budget and have to save for each item. The only one I got that was expensive was my doll's outfit iteself. It is really pretty lingerie dress set which was $100. I go by if I really like the outfit or not. So far the one other outfit I have is a simple pretty dress and I have my eye on a few others put all are simple and in a affordable price range under $100.

no. I just buy what I think would be her style and if she would look cute in it or not.

Actually I am very proud of having my doll. Seeing as how I just got her in March and she is my first bjd. I am fairly happy and thanful to actually on her. All the other things are just a plus since I love the idea of being able to dress and fix her up different ways XD

I guess for me it can be a little of both,but at the same time no it does not have to be. Whatever is cute and simple is what I go with. For me if I feel in my mind it will not look good on my doll then I will not get it.

no. I think a $20 outfit can look just as cute as one that costs say $100 and vice versa. i think it depends on income and the owners taste as far as I what they want to go with.

I think it does in some way as well as the visual aspect too.

13. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

Price of the doll has nothing to do with the price of the clothing I buy for them. Price has very little to do with the clothing I pick for my dolls at all. I choose clothes for my dolls based on style and quality though I'm not going to buy something if I think it is over priced (poor quality for too much money). I won't spend more money than I have just because I like an outfit, I will wait and either buy it second hand or look for something else later.

Clothing is important too but buying the doll is the first step. I would say that one or two good outfits per character is my goal personally. Having the perfect outfit for each character is just as important to me as having the perfect mold, wig, and eyes for each of my characters. I am really picky about these things. However my opinion of what is the perfect look and outfit may not fit in with you or your friend's aesthetic vision.

All of my dolls are based on original characters and so their clothes are important. They each have a personal style. Now some of my boys share clothes and so they may mix and match (and some have clothes that can cross over). For example Aric and Killian share some clothes because they are dating and Knox and Killian share clothes because they are siblings. It's a story line thing. Aric and Knox would never share clothes because they don't get along well. Sometimes while dolls are waiting for their "perfect outfit" they may wear clothes that just fit them because that is what I have. I do mix and match outfits that I happen to have. Most of my boys have more relaxed styles, jeans and t-shirts.

(..which is afterwards dressed in the minimum necessary to keep it from being naked?)

I don't care how people dress their dolls and you can't "mistreat or neglect" and inanimate object. It isn't a pet or a child, it doesn't have needs. There are some really awesome seamstresses out there who sew on the cheap doll clothes that look amazing. Just because it isn't your preference in style doesn't mean it isn't the right style for some one else's character. Sometimes it takes a while to pull together the perfect look for your doll. I have found it really hard to find certain items in certain sizes for some of my guys. In the meantime they wear clothes that may not ideally suit their characters. It is far from "neglect" even if it isn't what I would prefer.

My characters are the same in my head no matter what but I am always on the hunt for that perfect outfit, wig and pair of eyes to complete the character. Usually I want a couple of outfits so I can change the dolls from time to time. These dolls are my little muses when I am having writer's block so it helps if they look as much like my OC's as possible, having the correct costuming helps with that.

14. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

im very fussy when it comes to buying things and also take into account the price, if i love it but its only 1 item for over a certain amount i wil generaly just mope and not buy the item, then attempt to make it myself when i get the free time.

my dolls have been fairly "cheep" so far, but i like to have one or 2 expensive clothing items for each doll (for special occasions) and then make the rest myself, i like changing the look of my dolls and playing with them from time to time so its nice to have a range of things that aren't too expensive

i believe the way you dress your doll is part of it as a possession, if i were ever to sell my dolls i would sell them with the cloaths that they "grew up with", before i got my first doll i made some quick clothing (from measurements provided) just so my doll wouldn't be sat around naked for X amount of time before i made her something better and ordered something for her.

i have tried the back story thing, but i have changed my mind a little on personality's (maybe they arrived with set personality and then have changed since knowing me. haha)
      i guess this has alterd my clothing choices, my first was more of a snobby city girl and shes slowly turned into a relaxed country girl type.

as i said before my makeshift cloths were an only option until i had the money and more time+skill to make something better, people need to practice and if they are proud of what they have made they should show others, and get constructive criticism to help them improve.

surely this counts as much as a humans personality and if it changes depending on what you wear..? i sure don't change, and i don't think dolls do either aslong as you have been told the personality of said doll e.g " Fiona is a tomboy who hates dresses, shes wearing one because her mother forced her to wear it "

15. It may be snobby of me, but this is a huge gripe of mine as well. It's not that expensive to go and buy a tiny spool of thread for fifty cents that will match what your material looks like.

16. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

I have minimalist tendencies, so I tend to underdress rather than overdress. I'm also a pretty good doll seamstress, so if I see something I like but can't afford, I can make it for myself usually.

Absolutely not! All my dolls are priceless to me.

Each of my dolls has a "default" outfit and a few besides. Chaeri is the clothes horse of the group, because she changes her outfit most often.

The doll's backstory has everything to do with how they look to me, including their clothes. It would be ridiculous to put Belle in a kimono, Ashe in hanbok, or Chaeri in a hoop skirt.

...Not this again. How the fluff can you "mistreat" a hunk of synthetic resin?! "This is the BJD police, your under arrest for doll negligence..." It's your doll, dress it how you like. Just don't expect me to ooh and ahh if it looks like crap.

Chaeri is Chaeri, and she wears everything from real silk to polyester to cotton broadcloth to the dreaded "clothing made out of socks and underwear". (Unused, you Philistines.)

17. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I'm a lot more interested in the look of the outfit and would buy it wether it's expensive or cheap if I like it. Of course it can not be TOO expensive :sweat Since I need to make ends meet.

Not at all. I actually don't quite get this. I don't get why you'd buy more expensive clothes just because the doll is more expensive. What's the meaning? It probably hurts enough already that he/she was that expensive, why make him/her even more expensive by buying only more expensive clothes? Haha.

I think I'll care a lot about clothes for my dolls when I get them since that's part of the hobby for me. I wouldn't throw just whatever on him/her. Though maybe in the beginning when I've not ordered or sewed anything yet.

YES! I absolutely plan to dress my dolls after their personalities wether I like their taste in clothes or not :) But I don't think it'll be a problem (like me hating their clothes) since most of the characters in my mind have nice tastes. Haha. Right now, I'm having fun browsing through sites finding clothes for future characters of mine.

Nooo. I don't see it as doll mistreating in any way. It might annoys me a little bit sometimes when I see a really beautiful doll dressed in clothes I really don't like but if that's what the owner wants, then that's cool. :lol: I don't think I've ever thought "the doll deserves better" before while looking at the clothes.

18. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

Personally, I'm the sort of person who recoils at the idea of spending $1,000+ on a wedding dress. And when I realized I would definitely be spending that much, or more, even if I had only 4 dolls (my current wish) I wanted to throw my hands in the air and say "Well! It's just not happening!" So I really hate to spend a lot of money on my dolls' clothing as well. Especially since company clothes aren't exactly 'special' to me and rarely fit into the style I want. But my boy is my little prince and my girls would be treated like princesses so I want their clothes to look good. But they don't need a lot of fabric to cover them so samples, remnants, and left over fabric from other projects are the materials I'm more inclined to use when making doll clothes. Nothing is wrong with a well sewn velvet vest that cost me 10 cents and an hour or so of my time.

I do but only because I tend to budget. If I get an expensive doll I'm going to spend less on their eyes/wigs/clothes, while if I get a doll on sale or second hand the money I save can go to wigs or fabric and accessories.

When I own a doll is when I want to make them clothes, and somtimes I want to buy a doll just because I want to make something that doesn't fit my current doll/s. But if one is just hanging around in my room they can be dressed in whatever as long as they're covered, but if I'm taking them out somewhere I'll dress them up.

I see my boy as a prince, so I try not to dress him in modern day or casual clothes, but otherwise it's no-holds-barred on style.

Like I've said above, the cheaper I can get nice clothes the better, so I would never judge someone for cheap clothing.

Shiki is still Shiki regardless of how I dress him, and I imagine it will be the same for any future doll I purchase, but I try to get clothing that reflects the personality and style I think suits him best.

19. Here are my two-cents:

Hmm... this one is so-and-so. I definitely will not buy piece of clothing selling for over $40 USD. Pants must be below $20 for skinny jeans or leather/faux leather, and under $16 for any other pair of pants. Shirts must be under $12, maybe $16. Fancier stuff can be up to $25 a piece, and anything I want bad enough must be under $40 a piece. Shoes must be under $25. Underwear up to $4, Under-bust + underwear up to $20, stockings w/wo garters up to $6, and other accessories vary.
      Never full-sets.
      I'm willing to be up to $255 for a custom full-set for a character, though.
      I'm influenced by price, huh? But I won't buy something cheap if it's not good quality, or I don't like it. I don't like pretentious looks anyways. I like fancy, but not pretentious. So... I like casual, cute, pet, punk/visual-kei, gothic [as in frills]. frilly/lace-y, formal, formal-casual, transparent, etc. My taste usually fits withing the bonds of budget. No gowns here.

I just realized I spend more on my doll than on clothing for myself xD
      But I'd totally sacrifice my clothing budget for him.
      My view underdressing is a visible derrière or breasts without underwear; unless exposed/partially exposed aesthetically, has impressive body art, or with a theme [no, nude party is not a theme]. That's all. Or maybe tastelessly horrible quality clothing that is not matching a theme. I'm not sure how to view abstract clothing. It doesn't appeal to me. Unfinished clothes, also.
      Overdressing... that one's too broad. It really depends. I guess if it all matches, great.

Ahaha. No.
      I want whatever clothing I like and might look good on him. Hey, if it's cheaper, that's great. Saving $10 buying a white T-shirt from so-and-so instead of from him-or-her is excellent. Having $0 jeans from old jeans, or $1 selfmade dresses never really hurt anybody. Getting similar looking clothing to that limited full-set could save you the extra parts you don't like, and an extra $80 in your pocket.
      Though in the period just after I bought my doll, his cost of my doll made me to want to buy less and cheaper clothing.... 'cause I just spent so much money right then. Felt like saving LOL
      I'm a real penny-pincher...Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing in this hobby.

Yes, owning my doll means more than how he's dressed... That's why I decided to go more expensive then I had planned for my first. [Originally, only $275 doll, but then figured "what the hell, he has to be gorgeous" and it turned into $570. This, er, cut clothing budget since I planned $500 total cost...]. I'm totally satisfied with my doll, so I can wait for clothes. Once I got him, my interest in clothing went up a lot xD I want to take him out, but his scavenged bathrobe doesn't even cover his butt or his [very small] dick.
      I really want to see him dressed up. He's sort of my fashion outlet. I'm not as pretty or handsome. I really want see see him in clothes... I feel it gives a character-less doll some personality. Besides, part of what I want to do with him includes taking pictures and dressing him up!
      He can stay in his build-a-bear clothing for a long time. I still love him. Just not in that same thing for over six-months, oui?

Sure, it's fine. Why not? It wouldn't really make sense if you didn't, sometimes... I don't have a specific character for my boy, so just take whatever suits my taste and will look good on him. I will plan outfits, but only to make sure I'm buying within budget and with a whole set that matches [I'm a sucker for sets]. And I will do this for clothing pieces even from different sites. c:
      I am planning on cosplay for my boy, though ;D
      I don't choose what's "decent". I choose things I like that can go in a set, and that fit in my budget. And no full-sets. EVER. There's always something that doesn't look good to me, and they're usually expensive...

No... This is already an expensive hobby. Lots of people can barely save up for the doll, never-mind clothing. Hey, maybe those cheap clothes look great [in whoever's opinion]. Cheaper they are, but still looking decent is what I look for when I buy clothes. Who cares how he/she's dressed? Maybe you wouldn't want your doll to be entirely naked in public, though LOL

n/a. I probably will only allow the one outfit connected to the character or OC, though.

20. I actually never thought about it... my dolls have relatively few clothes. To me its more important they have wig, eyes and makeup, that's the first thing I think about and the clothing can wait.
      I don't consider the doll's value. It's all a matter of character and how the specific style of clothing it need would cost.
      For example, I'm gonna buy an msd size doll wich has an average price (around 200$) but he needs a specific style of clothing that for now I've seen at around 40$. While the rarest doll I own, my Soom Yrie, is just wearing my crochet dresses.

It is important that they have good clothes that fit their character as well. I do feel bad sometimes for having to photograph them always in the same clothes, but I'm ok with myself because I don't think they're badly dressed.

The kind of outfit depend how particular the character style is.