1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your doll's clothing....

Jul 30, 2010

1. All I can say is thank goodness for Dollmore clothes, Etsy and DoA's clothes sales threads. I love Dollheart - but very expensive depending on the outfit. Have to admit buying some pricey outfits here and there because I just love the way they look on my dolls.

I never have any doll nude because I have kept a set of kimonos on hand for them to wear until I can find an outfit to suit their personality. When adopting a doll from DoA - I always appreciate those sellers who send them in some type of clothing.

Underwear: Well, frankly none of my bjd's have any. I would like to get them some panties and boxers at some point or I will attempt to make that sort of clothing (since I am new at sewing MSD or SD clothes at all).

It takes time for me to develop a character - so the kimonos really help keeping them comfortable until the time comes to get them an outfit.

2. Sven isn't nude. x: he doesn't have alot of clothes right now, though. he normally struts his stuff in a pair of jeans(my sister says they're 'early 90's jeans. xD), or PJ pants.

but, when i'm able to buy him clothes, i want him to fit his character. he's a demon butler, like Sebastian from Black Butler, so he needs a butler's suit. x:

of course, that's not going to be cheap. he'll need the shirt, the coat, the pants, socks, shoes, a new wig, and some undies. x:

3. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Our dolls become a their very own person based on what we get for them. So if the owner wants them to be a regular kinda guy/gal, then she/he will dress him accordingly. If the owner wants their doll to be captain of the royal guard, then they should try to achieve the look they're going for. If he's in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, I wouldn't think of them as captain of the royal guard. I would think of him as a guy on vacation.
      For me, I like outfits that are a bit out of this world, futuristic yet antique, a reminder of days long past yet somewhat modernized. Jeans and t-shirts are a no-no for me. Money isn't an issue for these things b/c they aren't going to have an entire wardrobe. Two to three outstanding outfits are all they need.

Regarding the first question, do you also take into consideration the doll's value, when buying it clothes?

No. I would not buy more expensive clothes for a more expensive doll. If I had one, my bobobie would wear clothes whose quality is as high as my DoD would. That's not to say I wouldn't try to find cheap clothes. If I can find something cheap yet still look good, I would dress my dolls in them.

Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      Owning the doll itself as a possession does not mean more to me than the way it is dressed. Getting the doll is only going half the distance. They are just a hunk of resin without the clothes or faceup to create their personality. My dolls need their clothes, I will stop actively looking for clothes when they have one set for them to wear that I am pleased to see them in.
      If I get an expensive doll, all I would have to do is wait a bit longer to get him his rightful clothes. I'm not collecting dolls here. I'm looking for the right doll to be the character I want them to be that I can love and cherish and be proud to have in my collection.

Planning a doll's outfit based on its given back story/character...?
      Pretty much. Their clothes would come from as many sites as needed in order to get the 'right' set. Having a back story really and a character really minimizes the amount of clothes I can pick from. Makes things easier! and no buyer's remorse!

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      Makeshift, sale, generally dressing them is not mistreating or negligence in anyway. To each their own. We all have different tastes and if those clothes make the owner happy, I am more than glad to cheer them on and appreciate what they are doing even more.

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?
      Yes, the way it is dressed definitely influences my perception of my doll as an OC. I honestly used to dislike one of my dolls because she came to me naked and faceless. I was very disappointed but before I decided to throw in the towel, I tried hard to get her what I want her to have to portray what I want her to be. It took a while, but it was definitely worth it. She is my favorite now. (Ssssh, don't tell the others that!);)

4. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I enjoy making my own stuff for my dolls. Mine are all fantasy creatures and characters, so there's not much in the way of 'regular' clothing that fits them.
      I'm influenced by my idea what the doll is. If he's a travelling wizard, he'll be wearing a travel-stained cloak. If he's meant to be a beggar, he'll wear rags.

Regarding the first question, do you also take into consideration the doll's value, when buying it clothes?
      No. If I buy a really expensive doll with hooves and horns, and I want it to be a satyr, it will wear a loincloth and maybe a cape/cloak of some sort.
      A cheap doll I bought because I thought his face was just right for my emperor's son will get the furs and velvets that befit an emperor's son.

Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      Once I have the doll, my first priority is to get the right outfit. Or outfits. Well, maybe the wig, eyes and face-up come first.

Always. That's the biggest part of the fun for me.

Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)
      I rarely buy clothes. However, when I do come across something that would be perfect for a character I have in mind but don't have yet, I will often buy it and put it aside.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you?
      Like I said, dressing and illustrating stories with the doll is my main reason for having them, once I start leaving my dolls lying around nude I know I'll have to find another hobby.

Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      The doll is the canvas. Not the main objective.

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?
      Once my doll has a face, name and backstory, it doesn't matter what it's dressed in. Having said that, I would not dress a doll that is meant to be a dryad in jeans and a knitted sweater...

5. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I don't think it's possible to overdress a doll unless the doll is literally wearing multiple sets of clothing. As for underdressing, anything with under three pieces for a male doll feels underdressed. I use different styles of clothes, but my favorites are Dollheart brand or similar outfits that come with a lot of pieces. Though sometimes my dolls have only pants and a shirt on, it usually bothers me. Oddly enough, I don't care a lot about whether or not they have shoes on. I like looking at their bare feet, I guess.

No.

I think it's about 60/40. The doll is the most important, but the clothes are extremely important to me. I wouldn't display a doll until it was appropriately dressed though.

I don't have characters for my dolls, but I do think certain sculpts look better in certain styles of clothes, so I plan based on what I think would suit the sculpt.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      I really don't care what other people do with their dolls.

6. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

I don't think you can "overdress" a doll. For me, the value of the clothes are based on looks, not on how much was paid for them.

No. Although I'd like clothes to suit the sculpt of a doll.

Of course, the doll means more than the clothes, but the clothes are a large part of the fun for me.

Oh, I plan to dress my doll based on the backstory.

No.

I think it does. Clothes tell a large part of the story.

7. Of course, these are just my personal preferences in dressing dolls.

What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

I don't think there is a limit. To me, I prefer the dolls to have whole outfits, but the styles vary. I'm influenced both by the price and the look, but I would only get high quality pieces no matter the style.

(example, buy more expensive clothing for more expensive dolls)

No, I consider how much I like the doll when buying the clothes. But I wouldn't leave anyone "badly" dressed by my own standards.

(Of course nobody likes their doll to go around in its underwear, but does clothing lose its interest to you once you have the doll in your possession? Or on the contrary, once you get the doll you try to give it a good/very good outfit?)

Once I get a doll, I want nice outfits more. However, owning the doll itself does mean a lot more to me than getting them nicely dressed. I would get a doll and have it sit around in underwears for a long time waiting to get the nice outfit.

(Yay or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)

No I don't plan ahead. It is a lot easier for me to find clothing that I like than dolls I like.

(..which is afterwards dressed in the minimum necessary to keep it from being naked?)

No, I don't think it does.

(or it doesn't matter much, the doll-OC is the same no matter whether you dress it in a napkin or a ball gown?)

No, I don' think this will matter to me.

8. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I think so long as the owner of the doll feels that, "Hey, I want my doll to wear (those clothes) to look like (the type of look)" I think that's the most important factor of dressing up your doll and like me, I prefer making outfits for my dolls instead of buying and therefore,money is not quite much of a matter to me n__n

Nope, but I would consider my doll's style and the style that I want my doll to wear whenI'm buying clothes for my doll n___6

I think it's common to have that thinking and for myself I would really love to dressup my doll but the grade of good/very good outfit is very subjective for I think sometimes I would like my doll to dressup in rugged casual so some might also think that I'm dressing my doll poorly but that's what I want my doll to be styled

Nay. Basically, my doll's main characteristic is just who she is but she could be dressup with Lolita fashion, SteamPunk fashion, Mori fashion and even casual so means that my doll's outfit is planned randomly instead of story/character

I think even during clothes sale, I would still choose what is nice for my doll. So I don't think, it's mistreating dolls for just think, before that, when it's sold at original price, do you think that buying those clothes means mistreating your doll? Just that after awhile when the clothes' sales is not so hot selling, therefore they are sold cheaper compare to the original pricing.

Well, I don't think that how my dollis dressed will affect their characteristic because like myself, I'm me, I might could be wearing rugged casual or Lolita fashion but it does not mean that only when I'm wearing Lolita fashion will reflect my characteristics or if I'm wearing rugger casual will show that I'm not myself but that's just what I'm comfortable to look like and so does my dolls, I just think so long as I'm comfortable with the clothes that I want my dolls to wear not matter what type, it'll not affect my doll's original characteristics n___6

9. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      (are you influenced much by the money you would need to spend on an outfit, or are you more influenced by the look of the outfit itself - gowns, fur jackets, generally "pretentious" looks?)
      Well to be honest, it all depends on the doll. For example, my girl, Triya, prefers the scruffy, home made look. Nothing too flash and mainly hand sewn items. While Cecil is more of a clothes snob. He prefers more of a style rather than clothes just thrown together. So all in all, I guess a little of both.

I certainly don't haha a dolls price doesn't effect what sort of clothes they wear. Sure, some people feel differently on it but it depends on personal preference.

(Of course nobody likes their doll to go around in its underwear, but does clothing lose its interest to you once you have the doll in your possession? Or on the contrary, once you get the doll you try to give it a good/very good outfit?)
      Yeah ^ ^ sure, clothes are a very important aspect for them but I feel the doll is more important. I don't lose interest in clothing though. I'll always try to make my kids look good with the clothes they have, even if it isn't for expensive dolls x3

(Yay or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)
      Well I kinda base my dolls personality [ some of it ] off the clothes they wear rather than plan ahead :L it's mainly because when I first got Triya, I had a personality for her in mind. However, she had different plans and turned out completely different :L so she started off in a nice dress and now wears trousers and hand made t-shirts. It speaks out a lot more of her personality now than it used to =D

10. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      there is no such thing as overdressing! one can never have enough clothes, especially a doll! xD
      underdressing would mean only one outfit or less for months. or 2-3 very ugly, cheap, poorly made outfits....

doesn't need to be the fancyest looking, most expensive outfit out there. I won't be more impressed cuz you paid 200$ for a dress. but if your doll wears a badly sewn sock dress and other things that you can see how low-quality it is....then eww.
      I am however very impressed with people who can make their doll look amazing with small budget!

no. I take in consideration the caracter the doll represent.

my doll need clothes. and my girl MUST have heel feet so I can buy them endless pair of shoes!
      I like dolls mostly to dress them up because I can't wear all those pretty thing :/
      if it doesn't have clothes for months and I can't give it a faceup NOW I will lose patience and sell it

when I purchase or am about to purchase a doll I go on sites and make wishlist of all the clothes I want to buy him/her :3 I see what will fit in size and go with it's personnality. if I can't really find anything, I may refrain from buying the doll.

I guess it depends? if it's a very rare doll and the owner dresses him/her badly and all I may feel like the person's unworthy of having the doll and should sell it to someone else (I am such an horrible person for thinking like that *hides*).
      and now that I think of it I have been guilty of making rare dolls ugly D: I DESERVE A THOUSAND DEATHS

depends on the story of the OC. if he's meant to be a homeless then I guess it's Ok but if it's meant to be a rich prince I'll be like errrrr....NO

11. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      (are you influenced much by the money you would need to spend on an outfit, or are you more influenced by the look of the outfit itself - gowns, fur jackets, generally "pretentious" looks?)
      I'm not sure dolls can be overdressed or underdressed really. Where are they going that they've shown up looking inappropriate? ;) But as far as clothing goes, I really do find it sad when I see a doll wearing ill fitting clothes. I find it sad when people wear ill fitting clothes. But ultimately it's about me and my dolls. I don't think over/under has anything to do with price. I won't pay more for doll clothes than I'd pay for my own clothes... but that leaves some room since I don't mind spending more to get nice stuff.

In the original post it sounded like the doll might have been wearing regular clothes? I am not into fantasy at all and my dolls wear real people type clothes, you know, like something you'd see at the mall. They're nice, at least I think they are. I would be really peeved if someone bashed my clothing because it wasn't some elaborate costume. While I admire the beauty in a lot of those clothes and dolls that's just not me at all nor what I want with my dolls.

The value of my dolls to me exceeds any price tag I paid for them. The value of their clothes is not important. I care about them being well made and fitting well and suiting the "look" I see for my doll. There are some very nice clothes out there that have very reasonable price tags. I just want the clothes to flatter the doll not take away from them.

I love fashion. One of the reasons I decided to start collecting dolls as an adult is because I'd seen all these amazing photos of dolls and they looked like fashion models in some cases and that really appealed to me. I love shopping for doll clothes. It's much more rewarding for me to shop for doll clothes than clothes for myself. Heh.

I've bought some OT dolls to use as characters and in their case I chose the clothing based on that character. I don't care who I buy from only that I find what I'm looking for. For my BJDs I didn't have a character planned and didn't know what they'd be like until I had them and started to dress them and what not.

The only case that's different is the DIM Happy Alpon I'm waiting for. He's a character and I've been going insane trying to find him appropriate clothes. It's actually harder to find streetwear than I'd thought.

There are so many amazing clothes out there though that I don't want to limit myself with what I'll put on my dolls.

(..which is afterwards dressed in the minimum necessary to keep it from being naked?)

No, their clothes have nothing to do with it. Mistreatment is tossing the dolls around and generally being rough with them. The price tag, again, has nothing to do with the clothes. I'm sure there are some super cheap outfits that people would never guess were so cheap.

I do wonder why someone would bother buying a really expensive doll and then dress it in crap. I don't mean cheap clothes. I don't mean style. I mean dressing the doll in ill-fitting weirdness. I get it if the doll is new and they just don't want it to be naked but I don't really understand leaving them that way. That said, it's not my business and I don't get my panties in a twist over it. I might think "Oh dear that's a very sad outfit" but I certainly wouldn't get up in arms over it or say the person was mistreating their doll.

(or it doesn't matter much, the doll-OC is the same no matter whether you dress it in a napkin or a ball gown?)

The nice thing about having more than one doll is being able to put clothes that you wouldn't put on one, on the other. Or I might try something out on a particular doll even though "they wouldn't wear that" but I won't leave it on them. But really this applies more for OT dolls than my BJDs because I've not made them into characters from a story I've been writing. They have a character or personality I've given them but it's not the same as those fashion dolls. I really limited myself by making them into characters from a certain story (which is why I want to buy one more that isn't one so I can dress them freely).

Even though I'm not into fantasy or period stories I really want to get a period dress when I get my SoulDoll Emilia just for fun because they're pretty.

Ultimately I try not to take myself too seriously. After all my dolls are for fun and enjoyment! :)

12. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Well unless the doll is stark-naked without clothes, then it`s not under-dressed imho. Of course, sometimes I find it sad someone would have a BJD with a really nice Faceup done by someone really fancy but with oddly mismatched clothes. But really, it`s up to the person how they`d dress it. Really.
      I am influenced by looks more than the price tag, and instead of many poorly looking items, prefer one expensive well-made item.

No, not at all. It all comes down to what clothes ARE available at the time I recieve my newest doll. Most of my dolls are also the same body size so I have no trouble at all. If I`m lucky that Dolpa/IDoll/Dollshow is occuring at time of recieving the doll, they would get nicer outfits as I can browse and look for a good outfit. On the other hand, when there`s no event going on when I recieve the doll, they are left wearing my other doll`s previous outfits / used clothing finds until an event pops up. Then I`d buy them one new outfit to join the rest of the crew.

No. I`m just very picky about clothing and just can`t find my ideal outfit for long periods of time. I haven`t really bought any outfit for my BJD`s in half a year - all the outfits I wanted were just out of my reach in terms of purchasing. Being picky means less clothing, but at least it`d fit my dolls if I manage to buy them.

I don`t really ever give my dolls a back story... I do give them the family tree, but after that their characters just depend on their faceups I give, and whenever the faceup changes, parts of their characters also change. And usually, I see my dolls as a reflection of a part of me, so their clothes will be biased on what I wear or wore at one point of my life.

I don`t think it`s negligence. When I first purchased my doll, I must admit that my boy was not dressed the best. This is because I didn`t know how to dress him, I couldn`t figure out what I wanted him to wear, and I have to say I wanted more dolls immediatley after he came... which meant less money spent on dolls. But I have changed, which makes me think this whole "cheap clothes" thing could be possibly something that occurs early on in the hobby, but after that, maybe not so much.

I don`t really do this, because my faceups are what pretty much assigns their outfits. I dress them the way I want to, but with the bottom line being will it crash with their faceup. If they look pretty, that`s pretty much all that matters. This is probably because, as I`ve said before, the dolls are like me or the past me, willing to take challenges up.

13. I don't think it fair to mock someone for having home made clothing on an expesive doll. The coll has cost so much the person might not have any extra over for clothes! Also some people like to make clothes as a hobby, some are just learning.

I have store bought clothes and home made clothes (my mother is a dress retired maker) I think all the clothes look good as long as they are inkeeping with the dolls style. I like to dress mine to match the character, not to impress other owners by the expense of them.

14. Interesting topic!

What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I prefer very understated garments for my own, otherwise i feel the outfit is wearing the doll rather than vice versa!! XD

I generally make my doll's outfits. Commercially made clothes tend to be too stiff and "doll clothes" looking to me, even when they're very nicely made. (oops I guess my proper answer should be "no" I don't feel I have to buy expensive outfits just because the doll might be expensive)

For me clothes are part of the doll's character, usually (I occasionally have characters that rarely or never wear clothes), so I do try to make my doll at least one "right" outfit. Call it 60/40 percentage wise??? Heh!

Usually yes. Often a new doll will "politely decline" to take on the character I had in mind for her. I often don't keep them when this happens, as I'm not into owning many "rogue characters" these days. Sometimes I don't have anything in particular in mind, and they just come together as if they made themselves up! I try to keep clothes I've made for my dolls nowadays instead of selling the whole thing, so sometimes my new doll will choose some odds and ends out of the dolly drawer. If it works for her, it works for me!

Well... as with anything I see that doesn't please me, I just hit the back button and I don't give it further thought! I hope the owner enjoys her/his doll however it's dressed!

For me, yes. My characters are often elves or elemental beings of some kind and their "outfit" (if they wear anything) is part of their manifestation. I have only one human doll, and she's the only one with more than one outfit.

Raven

15. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      The first day I got my doll in (she arrived before the full dress/fishnet outfit I'd ordered for her!), wrapping her in extra, raw cloth (and later, one of my silky scarves) was, well--disappointing. Something like that feels like underdressing for me. Putting her in comfy-looking casual clothes (even something homespun) suits me just fine, though. If I haven't put a real effort into getting her some clothes, then I feel let down. But if I find/make her something that fits well, and is appropriate for her character (fishnet leggings, a baggy hoodie, Godzilla undies), then I'm happy. Since I spent the money for her, I do want her to be presentable--but, she doesn't have to look like she just walked out of a royal castle or an upscale designer store.

I do. I take into consideration how poor I am after the doll purchase. xD; Sorry if that sounds a little rude, or naive, but--honestly? Some of us don't have sufficient funds. I'm willing to save up for months (and more!) for a doll--not so much for an outfit. I mean, if I had some extra cash lying around, I don't think I'd mind dropping it on something really cool. But otherwise? I don't see what the big deal is about bargain-hunting.

The doll means more to me as a character than a possession. Yes, I'm super careful with her, and yes I know what I paid--but there are so many times I look at her sweet little face and just totally forget about the price tag. Any clothing that helps me CONVEY character through a doll, then, pleases me just as well.

...Is a given, for me. Planning a doll, in general--totally based on existing characters, for me.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you?
      No, not at all! And you know what? Aside from modeling my characters, I've gotten into the BJD hobby for one thing in specific--sewing practice, and the opportunity to do more with it, to make my own little clothes and outfits. I'm still a novice, so--yeah. A lot of what I make at first will suck, will probably look sub-par. But how will I learn if I don't start trying, and working my way up?

It might make me reevaluate that character a little more--and I might see something new I hadn't thought of before, for that character, a sort of "surprise" revision--which I welcome! I think it's great to keep your mind open, and allow your characters to be flexible, not confined to one specific idea (especially with their style/tastes, etc).

16. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      The concept of being able to 'underdress' a doll amazes me. Like, really? One of my dolls has one outfit, another has none. Who cares? My money is currently wrapped up in my next/last doll and I'd rather have the doll than the clothing, honestly. But the concept that I'm being judged by people because my dolls don't have enough clothing... really?

Nope. I look at the price of the outfit and how good I think it looked on the doll. My doll with the most clothing is my second cheapest doll.

Always. All my dolls are characters and they get dressed based on that, which leaves less leeway on some of them... Such as my tiny, who has no clothing because fantasy clothing for tiny boys seems very hard to come by, especially at a good price.

... lol Who cares? You can't mistreat a doll. They're a doll. Hell, my dolls hang around naked all the time! Resin penises for all!

It can. A lot of my dolls just 'fit' a look and thus earned their person. Ilya, my IP JID Ryan, just fit the character that got him his name. It was really funny, since I'd kind of been hoping to make him a little fantasy. But he turned into an awesome young modern man instead.

17. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I'm influenced by the look. Basically if I buy something for a doll I buy it because it fits their character (and they're probably going to stay wearing it for a while). But then my dolls sit on a display shelf most of the time so they don't need many different outfits. I like to buy the doll first, then the outfit. So chances are they'll be in something temporary until their clothes arrive, too.

No, value doesn't always mean a better looking or more superior product. It would seem a little ridiculous to me to dress more expensive dolls in more expensive clothes (putting aside the larger doll = larger clothes = more expensive thing) And like I said, I dress them to match their character.

I try to give them each one outfit that suits their personality. And since dolls can be harder to get I do value the doll more.

A mix of both. I prefer to get all the clothing from one place to save on shipping. But if there's something really specific that I want from another place I'll probably get that too.

I don't think it's mistreating or being neglectful at all, everyone has their own tastes and are entitled to do what they like with their dolls. Besides, wearing something cheap might be something specific to their character. And people who collect dolls don't always have huge incomes.

It doesn't really matter what they wear, they're still that character. Though I will try to put them in clothes that suit them.

18. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Underdressing is probably like wrapping it in an unaltered sock and calling it a day. I can't imagine overdressing. Well, there are outfits I can't buy without "good god, I don't own clothes that expensive!" hitting me in the head, but I wouldn't call it overdressing.

Not really. Though my current dolls are all similar prices, my newest one coming is very different than my current dolls' prices, so I'll see what happens with her.

Not really. I don't think the doll is "finished" until I can dress him or her into something I think fits the look I wanted to go for. I will have an uncontrollable need to put something onto my dolls if I see them naked.

I try to fit the character, but sometimes i just sew random stuff while I'm trying to get used to sewing for their proportions or to see how it feels to see them in it.

As dolls aren't alive, I wouldn't call it mistreatment or negligence. And some people seem to wing it on what style their doll will end up with and sometimes you're not entirely sure about a doll until you see it in person. And I use my dolls for sewing practice (less fabric than sewing for myself) so I churn out a lot of junk while trying to get sewing for them right. I still haven't figured out pretty princess dresses as well as I would like. :(

Yes. Muniya turned into a tomboy while sharing clothes with Saif.

19. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      There's no such thing I believe... it all depends on what appeals to the person as to what they should do. But I do find badly sewn clothes to just ruin the entire look of a doll... massive seams and lopsided clothes are disgusting. If you're going to show your clothing off at least put effort into it! If it doesn't turn out well you don't HAVE to share it!

Nope, I think it's better to dress up a more budget doll in perhaps pricier clothes... just because a doll was easier on the wallet doesn't mean it should suffer with cheap clothes.

Before I had my doll in my hands I had mental images of drawers full of clothes, brimming with beautiful threads! But now I have my doll I'm happy for him to sit in his underwear... he's been in his jocks now for a few weeks as clothing is just so expensive for dolls (he does have several "cheaper" shirts and jeans on the way). But honestly, I think the doll can be appreciated just as much nude, it gives me an oppurtunity to appreciated all the details of his sculpt (the evident ribs, stomach tone, etc.).

I do think dressing in character is a good thing. My doll had no character set upon purchasing him but he's now slotted into a stereotype (emo kid) and I'll only buy for him emo clothes, any website or what have you and just mix and match.

No! Sometimes I see cheap clothes that look good and after spending hundreds of dollars on a doll spending hundreds on clothes just because they "look good"/are "brand name" is terrible. I myself don't go for a brand just because of the brand, the doll follows the same. For me throwing the doll around is mistreating it... don't hate on me just because I have no more throw-away money after buying the initial doll.

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?Nope, the character is the character no matter what they're wearing.
      Nope, the character's the character no matter what they wear.

20. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      What I look for in the first place is quality. And that can come in both cheap and very expensive, depending on the brand, used materials and the amount of detail a dress is given. I will spend quite a sum on high-detailed clothing (and have done so in the past), and I do fall for the "cute" factor (not lolita, but rather simple A-line dresses with tiny but significant details and carefully chosen fabrics that really give that "rich" feel; it's like buying designer clothes, I guess).

Simply put, No. I have bought really expensive dresses for my AoD (no longer owned) and relatively inexpensive stuff for my Soom tiny that cost twice as much.

I partially consider dolls a work of art, so I prefer to dress them respectively. Also, most of my dolls have some sort of character behind them, so I tend to feel uncomfortable when looking at, say, what is supposed to be a Demon Lord wearing jeans, striped socks and a home-made jumper. Not that I own any Demon Lords, though.

Mostly yes. Thankfully, with one tiny exception, my characters are pretty flexible with clothes as they live in an alternative world and don't really care about dress codes. Still, there are certain pieces that I need to hunt down because otherwise their look wouldn't be perfect, but these mostly include accessories and cloaks / capes / gowns, something that is abundant in the BJD world.

I care little about other people's dolls as long as their owners love them. For me, a loved doll can be dressed in $1500 dress or in a $10 T-shirt, and vice versa. It's the owner's decision.
      So no, I'd never consider it negligence, but a con-ce-pt ^__^;

As I stated above, I get uneasy when seeing OOC behavior, so if a doll of mine is portraying my OCs (which is always the case for the 60+ family members) they will always, with absolutely no exception, be wearing the type of clothes typical for that character. Otherwise my mental image of them would become wobbly and the character would start kicking and screaming and asking for a decent 3D-model in no time.