1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?

Jun 27, 2011

1. It was moderately hard. I knew I wanted a LF minifee, but was undecided on the sculpt. But after looking at many, many pictures of the sculpts, it was clear I liked Chloe the most. I still think I made the right decision.

2. My first anthro bjd (that was my very first doll) was not hard at all.I saw the sculpt fell deeply in love. Was heart broken it was a limited sculpt, thought I would never ever find it. 2 mths later BOOM it was on ebay. :) So that wasn't difficult at all. The first human sculpt I choose was much more difficult. I knew I wanted grey skin or tan skin and an MSD and I must have debated about 12 dolls for months before finally deciding on my withdoll grey skin Ruby for the character I wanted.

3. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      It was a limited edition so I knew I had to get it soon.

And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      Immediately

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      No. I love him.

Which doll was your first and do you still own it?
      Leekeworld Limited Edition Kyohei in Basic Skin.

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      I chose it. It was an Xmas present to myself.

4. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Basically I finally had enough money that I was comfortable with buying a BJD. Actually I hemmed and hawed a lot but then I just decided to get a dolly I really liked (secondhand, because I was unsure about long company wait times) and was affordable rather than just trying to find the *perfect* one

Today, when I ordered her (just decided to go for it!)

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      I guess we will see but I am just happy that I made a choice so I can start playing with my doll instead of keep looking for options.

Volks SD13 Nono, I haven't yet received her!

Extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      Yes: I chose her myself <3

5. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well, I actually was going to choose a different doll than him. It was a doll from the same company, but I saw more pictures of the other one and I went with that.

When I fell in love with someone's pictures of him. That's why it's so good to look at pictures outside of the company so you can get a good look at it.

Uh, no.

RSDoll Evan. No, I don't have it yet.

Yeah, I chose it. If it were a present, I'd still want to choose it. I'm not really going to bond with a doll I didn't choose.

6. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I knew I wanted to order through a dealer, so DDE was the dealer of choice for me. I looked through what they had on their site, and MNF Celine was the one that jumped out at me right away.
      And when did you know that this doll should be should be your first?
      Basically right away. I looked through owner photos, etc, and she was just the most beautiful doll I've ever seen!
      Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish/did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      Nope. I'm extremely happy with my decision so far!
      MNF Celine, and she isn't even here yet, but I never ever plan to sell her.
      Yes, I was able to choose her. No it wasn't a present.

7. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I had no plan to own more than one bjd. But I wanted a doll to sew for. I owed Babies before, but wanted something different. I got the least expensive one I could find.

She was in stock at DenverDoll and marked down.

I learned to love her, but I regret making a decision with no knowledge of bjds. I had not heard of DOA back then, so I was totally unaware of the other choices I had.

Resinsoul Mei in white resin. I'm trying to sell her. She deserves to be with someone who will cherish her. When I started collecting more dolls I realized I was not into fantasy dolls. So Mei doesn't fit in with my doll family now.

8. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I saw my first Dollfie Dream on an anime forum in middle school (would have been around 2005 or 2006) and fell in love.

I didn't have 300$ to spend on a doll when I was 12, nor would my parents have let me spend that kind of money on a doll if I had it. So I waited roughly a decade until I was 23, living on my own, and financially self-sufficient.

Nah, she's gorgeous. I think in the future I might aim more toward the MDD size, though - I really like the chibi aesthetic more than the more "mature" full-size DD. Plus I think DDH01 are better suited for modding (and MSD size bodies) than the other DD heads.

Dollfie Dream Option Head 09. I got her a few weeks ago.

Nope, not a gift. So far, only 2 people I know IRL know about her (my best friend and my boyfriend).

9. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first ?
      I've had a few dolls on my wishlist for several years now, but when I saw the first pictures of Suzette (La Compagnie des Radis), I felt like I really wanted her to be my first doll.
      I just had that feeling when I saw the first pictures of her.
      I'm still waiting for her, and for now I absolutely don't regret my choice !
      Suzette - La Compagnie des Radis, but I preordered her in December so I don't have her yet ^^
      When I saw the first pictures of her, it was several months before her release. She was more expensive than a regular Yosd doll but I saved enough to get her ♥
      It's not a present...Maybe I'm weird but if someones gives me an exensive present, it makes me very uncomfortable, I really don't like getting expensive things as a present. I wanted to pay her myself ^^'

10. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I couldn't decide. Even though I fell in love with Ringdoll sculpts first, I really love some other companies sculpts. I just kept looking up pictures of the Ringdoll Lucifer and realized I should try to order him as my first.
      I'm still unsure, but decided to order him anyway.
      No, I'm not unhappy. I'm nervous.
      I choose a Ringdoll Lucifer. He's not home yet.
      Not a gift. I was able to choose it.

11. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I found my first doll on ebay. It was an AOD chen and I had no idea about the first thing about dolls.
      I just decided that the price was right and that I liked the sculpt. At the time I didnt really know there were as many companies as there were.
      At first, i was thrilled. Then as I experienced all the other brands and sizes I was feeling a bit doubtful that i actually wanted to keep him.
      AOD chen. Haven't owned him in years. You live and you learn in this hobby. He was the stepping stone to my collection now so I will never say he was a bad idea or that I regret him.

12. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I'd come across a few photos of Lance (the doll) after playing Nameless, an otome centered around Crobidoll. After I saw him, I knew I couldn't have anyone BUT him as my first!
      It was like, arrow through the heart love. His face, the hands, all the little details... I loved every part of him! If I feel that heart pumping need, I know it's meant to be. If I can't stop thinking about the doll, I know it's a decision I won't regret.
      Nope! I'm his third owner, so I've already promised that he's stuck with me no matter what. Three months later and I'm still not over how happy having him around makes me.
      A Crobidoll Lance, and absolutely!

13. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well, I had a certain amount I could spend, and I had the idea of the character I wanted the doll to be and so I chose.
      I didn't gave it that much of a thought, I found her, she was pretty and affordable.
      Yes, I regret my decision, but now I think I had to make a mistake to learn. I should have looked more, and compare and even raised more funds before purchasing. I ended up selling her and reshelling the character in other sculpt barely a year before.
      She was a Little Elva Misora, from Dreaming Doll. As I said before, I sold her quite some time ago.

14. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I wanted an MSD or SD boy for the longest time. Then I saw this sculpt I really liked and realize he fit a character I've had for a really long time.
      He was a really good price, ~$160. I had my price range at under $250. Plus I ordered a wig, eyes and clothes for him.
      Still waiting for him. I want so many other dolls but he seems so right to be my first one due to being a character I love and the sculpt is great. Sometimes I think I should have gotten another doll but that is the sculpt I always went back to look at and he looks good without a face up which is a plus (because he probably won't have one for a while).
      Akagidoll Ban in MSD.
      I picked him myself. I don't think I'll ever get a doll as a gift.