1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?

Jun 27, 2011

1. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I have seen some other dolls online and always thought they were beautiful but never felt like having one. And then searching for pictures one day I just stumbled upon this beautiful doll, Zaoll, with exactly the looks and personality of a person I have long admired.
      And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      And at once I just knew that this was it - I just had to have her. I went through a bank loan to get her.
      Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      And I never regretted my choice since. I got her fullset, and whenever I look at any other dolls, even though I can appreciate their beauty, I still think myself SO lucky to have particularly her! Maybe some day I will have some more dolls, (well, at least one more - a 1/6 Dollfie for her poseability), but I will always love my Cassie. She can not be compared to anyone else in my mind.
      Which doll was your first and do you still own it?
      Oh yes, Zaoll BW Luv, now and forever.

2. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I'd been looking at dolls for over a year ever since my friend got her dolls. Since I never really had enough money for it, I kinda gave up, until earlier this summer. She helped me search for one, as I was completely lost as to where to look. I wanted a girl, who looked cute, was an SD size and as cheap as possible.
      We found one and I'm amazingly happy with her =D
      Almost right away. I looked at her pictures for a little while before I was certain. But I took just a day to make up my mind. After that she was paid for and shipped a couple of days later.
      Did you get unhappy with your choice?
      Oh no, I'm extremely happy with Belle. She's the most adorable doll I've ever seen. =D
      Leekeworld Arien, still have her and I'll most likely never sell her. <3

3. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Weellll Souldoll was one of the first companies I ever looked at. Actually, the first doll that I saw and WANTED was a Souldoll Chiron. But after research, thought, the beginning of a new novel and the rejection of the novel that contained my 'Chiron' character, I decided he wasn't the right one for me. I also had a tight budget and I wanted something a bit smaller than the Zenith size. Then I saw the Vitos...
      Sharics was my instant preference over Lester (Lester perfectly matched for another character in the same story! What luck! He'll be my next doll...), and something in his bored, tired-looking expression just SCREAMED that he was meant to be my Neykon! :D
      Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      I love my Neykon very much. I think that if I was to buy my first doll NOW, I would probably shop around more. Mostly because I know of SO many more companies now. When I got Neykon, I wasn't even here on DoA yet, so I was very noob. I didn't really know exactly HOW MANY different companies there were.
      But I don't regret Neykon at all. I still, in all my browsing, haven't seen a doll that would better suit the character and I would never reshell my boy
      :aheartbea

He is a Souldoll Vito Sharics. I am cuddling him as we speak :lol:

4. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I had decided to which company I wanted to buy a doll from. It was pretty easy then.

And when did you know that this doll should be your first
      I liked him better than another what I considered too.

No I think it was the best choise to be first doll.

It was Dream of doll si and I don't have him anymore. I still like the mold but the clothes what I wanted him to wear didn't fit him at all.

5. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I was searching for a doll for weeks, but any of them was of my taste. Too big eyes, too big elf ears, too childish face... until I saw a picture of him on the Dollzone site and I knew he was the one I had to buy because he was perfect.

Prize "was ok" and the mould was exactly was I was looking for, so I told to myself "he's the one".

I'm very happy with it, I was sure that I wanted that doll and it was even better than I expected. Only one was enough.

Dollzone Floy. I still have him, I love him very much.

6. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I knew my first doll was going to be a girl. I needed one that was affordable and came with face up and eyes. I found karma on ebay. I love her.
      I couldn't find anything I liked better.
      I have never been unhappy with Karma. She is exactly the doll I wanted. She is not popular and that does not matter to me.
      angel of dream juli
      extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      I was able to chose the doll I wanted.​

7. it was as simple as 1 2 3

8. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      When i first started my research into BJD's i came upon a website called Mint on Card, so i went all through the dolls they sold and i came upon Cantarira/Cantarella from Illusion Spirit, and once i saw the face on this doll... i was on the websit everyday just looking through his pictures, until i purchased him. I cant find a doll that i will love as much as this one! ^^

When i emailed Alice collections asking how many of him were left as he was limited, and the answer i got was 5 dolls left in the whole world, i thought if i dont get him now ill regret it forever lol.

No certainly not! I will cherish my first doll forever :D

Extra question:
      Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?

The choice was entirely mine, and yes it was my birthday and christmas present haha lol

9. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well, the first time I saw BJDs, I couldn't afford them. So I would spend my time looking at them online, and I fell in love with DODs Black Ducan...which was long since sold out of course ^^;. But when my mother finally said she'd buy me one as a present, as well as because of how well I had done in exams, I went straight to the DOD site. And I still loved the Ducan sculpt, even if he was just the normal Homme version &#9829;
      As soon as I was allowed to get a doll...and looked over the site. My family kept trying to show me other ones like Dollzone Chen or SoulDoll Chiron, but my heart was captured
      Not in the least. I love my baby in all his stuck up, spoilt glory &#9829;
      Dream of Doll DOT Homme Ducan
      Yes I was able to choose. Like I said above, my mother got it for me as a present

10. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well I started by looking for an MSD sized doll because they were cheaper...at this point I don't think I had mentioned to my parents I wanted one. I had $100 and I was going to ask for the rest of the money for the doll for my birthday, so I wanted to keep it relatively cheap. There weren't any BBB or RS dolls I liked so to bring price down I decided to go small with the MSD as opposed to SD.
      THEN I SAW MIGIDOLL RYU.
      I saw Ryu and I kind of died inside XD I just had a total "screw-price-I-want-him" moment. It was one of those love at first site things where I knew he was the doll I had to have or I wasn't going to get one. Besides, I actually hadn't really found an MSD I really liked anyway. The best I had found was Fairyland Minifee Ruth who I genuinely liked but I thought he was too expenisve for an MSD at the time and couldn't bring myself to do it...I don't know how I went from that to a Migidoll. XD

Absolutely not. I hear a lot of stories where people "settle" for a less expenisve doll to save money and don't necessarily love the sculpt they buy. I went with my heart and a year later Ryu is still my all time favorite sculpt hands down. I always say Migidoll Jina and Soom Dia (on my wishlist) are really special sculpts to me, and there's something about them that I think might make them my grail dolls...but I still like Ryu better if that makes any sense XD
      Migidoll Ryu and yes. I doubt I'll every sell him...if something happened to him where he was damaged and couldn't really be photographed and carried around I would keep him and then get another Ryu and makes a different character for him. I don't know if my preference in types of dolls will change in a year or more form now but I think Ryu will always be my favorite. He's just stunning ;;3;;
      Yup! I didn't start with...I want a BJD can I get one under "x amount"?...I started with "I want this doll right here, Migidoll Ryu!"

Sorry this was totally sappy I just love my doll XD EVERYONE GO GIVE YOUR FIRST DOLL SOME LOVE<3

11. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I chose a price range I was comfortable with and went on an epic quest. Then I realized that they came in different sizes (!!!!!) and that minis were the ones that fit best into my price range, and also seemed the most handle-able for me. So I refined my epic quest to an epic quest for minis under $300. Came up with a lot of dolls I really like, plan on getting all of them eventually so I just chose the cheapest one (OH THE HORROR HOW COULD I HAVE!!!! /shot)
      When I realized I would have enough money to purchase her in a few months, rather than the couple years it would take to buy the others with my measly high school student income xD I spent so much time searching that I fell in love with a *lot* of dolls, so price was the deciding factor.
      I plan to order a Doll Leaves G come November, assuming all goes well and I get enough money by then.

12. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      My first was pretty spontaneous. My friend had two beautiful Unoas, and I was becoming interested. I don't think she realised I was interested at the time, because I was mostly just curious, like "Oh that's pretty". Anyway I ended up getting myself hyped about FFXII Versus and wanted to buy a boy doll to be a FFXII cosplay. I bought an iplehouse vito ( I was really lucky I found such a good company, because I really didn't research enough at all!).

Pure luck really. I found this Iplehouse Vito on their website and fell in love.

Yes and No. He will always have a special place in my heart. But choosing a boy first kind of sucked for me. And an Iplehouse one even worse. I didn't know much yet and had so much trouble finding clothes for him and customising him. I wish I had bought a more common/popular body size doll as my first so it would have been easier for me (not saying that Iplehouse isn't popular, just that it was difficult to find clothes for a newbie to the hobby).

However if I went back in time, the dolls I have now would not have been available :P So maybe I am happy with how it turned out <3

Iplehouse Vito Limited, I still own it but probably not for much longer.

Yup I chose it.

13. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I only ever fell in love with one doll, so it was a very easy decision.

She was the only one I ever liked, and I could buy her in a store, versus online (which I can't do).

Couldn't be happier!

5StarDoll Elva and she's my baby!

14. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I had planned this doll will be no more than $ 400 and not less than MSD.

I did not like anyone for a long time. But then I saw the site Doll in Mind and my heart forever took Larina.

Early to tell. I'm still waiting for my first doll.
      But I am sure she will not disappoint me.

DIM Larina

15. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I had a budget of about $250, I knew I wanted an SD sized boy that didn't look "frowny."

He was well within my price range, and pretty of course, I loved his sculpt. He was perfect for the character I had in mind.

Nope, I couldn't be happier with him. :) Price is majorly important to me, so I think buying a doll on the cheaper end was a good way to get into the hobby, rather than blowing all my money on a really expensive one and then not being able to get another in the future.

I got a Doll Family Xiangyi, and I still have him of course.

16. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I was already in the hobby for a year, and wanted an innocent looking doll, So I went to FairyLand and I found the MNF Miyu.
      When I talked my mom about it, she agreed that she was the best choice for me.
      I did and still do, but there's times where I wish that I've gotta the MNF Chloe, for some reason. She just seems more photogenic.
      I choose the MNF Miyu and yes I still have her. I am not really thinking in selling her any time soon.
      Yes and yes.

17. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      At first I wanted to keep it on the 'cheap' side and I looked around for a bit, until I stumbled across her uvu...I just knew I had to have her (and her beautiful elf ears <3 )
      She was going to be the 'only' one and I wanted a girl and she was perfect and I wanted her from the time I saw her so ^u^ I immediately realised she should be my first (and at that time 'only one' xD; )
      No...and I've never wished that. I love her to bits and pieces, she's perfect <3
      Luts La Sirenita Pine girl ^u^~ And of course~ <3333

18. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Honestly, I found the cheapest company and bought my favorite SD from them. I had the money to buy a more expensive doll, but I wanted to be able to buy clothes too. Plus, some of these doll prices are outrageous, so, yeah, heck no.
      And when did you know this doll should be your first?
      Pretty much the moment I looked at him. I just fell in love with the face sculpt. He has kinda a "IDGAF" look to his face. Also, very neutral. Not happy, sad, mad, etc.
      Are you unhappy with your choice?
      Not really. His legs are a bit too long, but other than that, I love him 100%.
      Which doll was your first, and do you still own it?
      A 5StarDoll Edmund. And yes, of course.

19. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

I'd been looking for my first doll for two years, and my mother and I were looking at Elfdoll Wu again when we wandered into a page for Elfdoll's new boy: Mir. My mother noticed that with the right hairstyle he looked like the anime character Harima Kenji, who I liked very much, as well as reminding us of a couple of actors I like. He was the first doll I'd ever seen who was absolutely Asian looking. After seeing owner pictures of how beautiful he was with different stylings, I had to have him.

Probably about as soon as I saw Tinoose's Mir, Keo, pictured on DDE. Before that I'd only really seen the resin wig head, which was cool but not as versatile for me. I had the money already, so there was only a few days that elapsed between the time I first saw Mir until the time I ordered my boy. He was in stock at JunkySpot way back then, so I had him in about a week total.

I've never been unhappy with my choice. I'd already researched ED enough to know what to expect. Even with his ol' single joints, I've always adored him.

Elfdoll Mir was my first. I still own him and love him dearly.

I'd earned extra money housesitting around the holidays, so he was not a present. He did arrive just after Christmas though. LOL

20. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I wanted to get a decent looking doll for as little cost as possible. I ordered a DollLove Zozo because he was cheap, and realized a few weeks later that I didn't really want him. Luckily the seller was able to cancel my order. I ended up ordering an Iplehouse Elin, which I'd had my eye on for a while.

I saw photos on Flikr of a gorgeous Elin doll, and it reminded me of a kind of character idea I'd had in mind for a while.

I was unhappy with my Zozo choice, but I'm very happy that I've ordered Elin instead. There isn't any sculpt I've seen that I love more.

Elin will be my first - she hasn't arrived yet.