1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?

Jun 27, 2011

1. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

I saw many different dolls before I decided which one I wanted. I ended up getting a pukifee ante and I'm glad I did because the size and poseability were just what I was looking for.

And when did you know that this doll should be your first?

When I saw the Ante scelpt, I knew I had to have her. I had trouble deciding between a littlfee and a pukifee. But when I saw the freckles on the pukifee, I knew I had to get it. Another thing was that it happened to be in stock at DDE and I really didn't want to wait 2 months so I bought it.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?

Sadly yes. When my full set pukifee arrived she didn't have freckles and her eyebrows were drawn on differently than the other antes. But after a while I got used to it and decided to get another pukifee ante.

Which doll was your first and do you still own it?

Pukifee ante. No, I no longer own her. I sold her when I thought I was leaving the hobby.

2. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I wanted something sweet, and I wanted an MSD. I have a vision in mind, and I found her. :D

Once I saw her, I fell in love! She was perfect!

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      Not at all! She is very lovely, and I'm so happy I found her! :)

She is a LittleMonica LittleHarmony Irin. :aheartbea And of course!

3. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I knew I wanted a boy and that I wanted "one of the big ones" (SD size) so I googled the few BJD terms I had picked up by that point and looked at the pictures ofn the company websites - Luts boys appealed most and I fel for the Elf Shiwoo... but he was limited and sold out beofre I discovered BJDs... I didnt' like the non-elf version, but did like the human Chiwoo.

The human Chiwoo wasn't limited so that decided me.

I was lucky enough to find one second-hand on E-bay (I didn't like the idea of not being able to see photo's of the actual doll I'd be getting when ordering from the company website, what if the faceup wasn't the same as the one in the company photo's etc. I felt "safer" buying from ebay and seeing the actual doll in the pictures)

Nope. Never regretted it.

Luts Delf Chiwoo, Normal skin. He's still with me (30-something other BJD's later, most of them have stayed), and still my "sweet little boy".

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?

My savings, my choice.

I've had a couple of dolls as presents from my partner, a couple bought with "mad money" kept aside from a windfall, one was payment for a wedding dress I made, the rest I saved up for.

Teddy

4. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I somehow stumbled into Iplehouse and immediately fell in love with their manry man-men.

The minute that I saw him? /bricked

I think I was struck by the sheer size of the doll when he actually arrived. @___@ and he was so unwieldy, and so very heavy, and had no idea what to do with him haha. But once I gave him a face and now that he has some clothes, I'm in love /all/ over again.

my Iplehouse Luo is sitting in my closet as I type. :D

5. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I was following somebody's blog and she started to talk about these dolls. At first I did not see what was so special about these dolls, until she posted something about the Orient doll. It was love at first sight.

Only after some long and hard thinking. I wasn't familliar with BJD's at that point and ordering something that expensive online at a foreign site... But I kept staring at him/the site day after day, and then I decided that I just had to order him.
      Resisting was no longer an option :lol:

Absolutely not. Even though I am now well aware of the fact that he's a funny size and all.

Orient Doll IL.
      I still have him and I will never part with him.

6. When I bought Marc, he was just too adorable to pass up. I just couldn't save for the doll I wanted, but he was a wonderful doll from the same company. I just really liked his pouty face, it was like a mini version of the pouty face on the doll I wanted. So I bought him, and have been happy with him ever since. He'll be 3 years old this November...he arrived on my bday! (Though, he had to wait until the next day because it was a holiday)

I have no regrets for buying him, though I do wonder what it would have been like to have just passed up on him, and still be saving for my "dream doll." Marc has been a wonderful addition to my hobbies and all around fun to play with.

My first doll is a Soom Silt, it says Teenie Gem on the inside of his head cap.
      I love him to pieces and will never part with him. <3

7. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      My friend got into BJDs last year and initially I was rather skeptical. I thought the whole thing was ridiculous and the dolls were creepy. Of course at the time, the only BJDs I'd been exposed to were very brief glimpses of them at anime conventions. The ones I had seen had the creepy pseudo realistic, but still anime stylized features... that really creeped me out. Then my friend sent me to Iplehouse's website and I fell in love. Iplehouse dolls are just so fabulous! My friend kept threatening to buy me one, but I told her not to.

I kept waffling about it and saying I didn't really want one bad enough to spend $300+ on them (I was unwilling to even CONSIDER the bigger sized dolls for $600!). But then Iplehouse released Isar and I fell so hard in love with her! The fact that she was limited also helped me get over my reluctance. My friend helped me get her with her fullset and I am so, so, so, so grateful to her for that. ;u;

The moment I saw the first promo picture, actually. I went on iplehouse's website one day and I saw a new Elemental Guardian, a FIRE one in the size that I wanted! I couldn't see much of her face in the two "sneak peak" pictures they provided, but I knew I had to have her.

Not at all! I am still ecstatic to have her. She's the most beautiful thing that I own and I love every detail of her from her beautiful tan resin to the adorable pointy ears (that I wish her wigs didn't hide!). She has a lovely mature face and her company faceup is just so perfect and detailed and wonderful to photograph~!!! She's the best first doll I could have gotten, and I'm so glad I waffled long enough for her to be released and didn't spend my money on a basic doll! I don't think I'll ever sell her. ;u;

Iplehouse Isar. I named mine Ashera. Ash is standing on the table next to my computer desk, watching me type this. C:

8. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I was only interested in larger males, so that narrowed it down a little for me. I was in no rush to buy though, and took my time checking out my options. Google, and DOA, were my new best friends. ^^

It was instant Love, from the moment I saw him. Thoughts of every other possible mold were wiped from my mind, and he became my sole focus. That was a pretty clear indicator!

Nope. I haven't regretted my choice to this day. He has been, and likely always will be, my Number One.

Dream of Doll Homme Ducan~ <3

Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      Definitely my decision - presents don't come this expensive in my family! :lol: He's been 100% mine from day one: My choice, my time, my money.

9. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I fell into absolute and undeniable love with him at first sight. Trust me, I'd have never imagined my first doll would be a WS MSD boy with elf ears. >>

The very moment I saw him.

Not at all. He's an incredible sculpt with a lot of personality. Sometimes I wish his body was a little better -and that I'd be more willing as well as have time to restring him- but no xD

my first was my Doll Leaves W - Wish. He's currently sitting on my left as I type with what I take to be a fairly annoyed look because my fan is blowing in his direction... u__u;;

10. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I looked around for a while and none really jumped out at me except for this one...I had the mind set that my first doll would be my only doll, so I was very picky.
      I searched and searched, but I couldn't stop thinking of her little face. All the other dolls I liked somewhat resembled her.
      She has not arrived yet, and I have very little self confidence so I worry a lot if she will be just right @_@
      Volks MSD F-18 head Swariko body chosen using FCS
      Yes, it was completely my choice. I was not lucky enough to get her as a present though.

11. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Actually I was at an anime convention and I knew I wanted a BJD for a long time, and by a stroke of luck I found a booth selling many BJDs. I told her I wanted a pale male MSD and she pulled out Chaucer (who is ResinSoul Song) and by first sight I knew I needed him and that he was my first doll! I have no doubt about it. I'm not usually one to be able to decide so fast, but I did with him.
      As I said, I knew right away.
      No, I never felt any regret, I was so happy with Chaucer and I still am!
      My first doll was ResinSoul Song, I still have him C:
      No, I bought him myself! I don't think I could ever receive one as a present. First of all, no one I know could spend that much, and second of all, I feel they should be chosen personally.

12. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Originally, I started out looking for a female MSD with a face-up (because I don't trust myself with a paintbrush on paper let alone near one of these dolls) so I could practice making my own sewing patterns for original designs and whatnot. But as I was looking at the female dolls, I really couldn't find any with faces and face-up that I loved enough to justify spending $300+ on. Male msd dolls on the other hand were constantly catching my eye.
      Saw him. Loved him. Shouted at the computer 'Why couldn't you be a girl?' Went away for a while. Eventually had a dream about this doll and *remembered* that I had a dream about this doll (I don't remember my dreams. Ever.). Realized that I should stop trying to fight myself and just go with it.
      I haven't recieved him yet, but so far in my life when I've had this strong of a feeling about doing something, I haven't regretted doing it. I think this doll is going to be treasured for a long long time. Between the time of payment and now, I've had no regrets and I haven't been able to find another doll who makes me want to buy him/her as much as I wanted to buy the one that I did despite having looked at many dolls since the time I purchased mine.
      A Ringdoll Valo and I'm anxiously awaiting his arrival.
      I was able to choose, but I bought him with graduation money, so he was a semi-present. I guess.

13. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I was mesmerized by the mold, I fell in love at first sight when I saw an owner's doll and I knew he was meant to be mine.
      I was 100% sure that he was all I wanted, perfect for the character and again, I couldn't forget about that face :aheartbea and I was right, 7 years later and he still remains as my favorite doll.
      I had that feeling with the new ones but never with the first one...he was/is my dream doll <3
      Of course, I could never get rid of my kyoshi >_< he's a DOD Zen *points to avatar and siggy* and he's forever mine.
      I chose him, even though I was in high school and jobless but when a person wants something (at least in my case) this person will do anything and everything to achieve her dreams. When there's a will there's a way ;)

14. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I was limited on funds to about $200 including shipping. I was looking on JunkySpot because they had a decent selection of affordable dolls. I asked about good first dolls on their forum and most people told me to save a little more and get Dollzone, but when I saw AoD Chen's owner pix, I cried and just KNEW he was the one! He didn't even cost $200 with shipping, but he was the one!

When he made me cry, I just KNEW my search was over. There was no doll of any price range that would have been better.

Never. I absolutely loved Amir from the moment I saw him and 4 years and dozens of dolls later, he's still my favorite. He's just too perfect. :)

Angel of Dream Chen (v1, old sculpt). Yes, I do still own him. He has been "retired" and Amir is now in an SD shell (AoD Gu) since I've decided I like the 1/3 size better, but I don't think I'll ever be able to part with his MSD shell.

I chose him. I sold almost my entire Bratz and Barbie collection (over 400 dolls) just to get him.

15. I still don't have my first doll because it's a hard decision for me. I want a male msd doll that I love the look of and isn't too expensive. I've almost bought one a couple of times but ended up not buying because of some issue I had with the doll or price. I want my bjd to be one I'm completely happy with.

16. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I wanted one b/c I knew I was going to miss my exs dolls when she left. I'd really started to like them. she and I actually independently did the same lottery -her for the girl and I for the uy that year, we both won!

when I won

nope! he's awesome!

well, I bought her a DDDy first, but for mine I got a Yo-SD Kakeru.

yes, I lotteried for him.

17. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      - Well, I was looking around at a lot of doll sites trying to find my first perfect doll.
      And when I found her, it was just love at first sight. She was just so pretty, and seemed a bit different then others I've seen.

- Right when I found her. The price helped a bit too. She was a bit on the cheaper side, but was still really good quality.

- Not at all! Still love her to this day (Have had her for almost 3 1/2 yrs). She's the easiest of my dolls to take pics of. Lol. XD

- My first doll was a DollnDoll Loren. Yes, I do still own her. And I'm lucky I did get her as my first doll. She's no longer being made, and if I found her later I would've been sad. As not many people have her. :C

Totes chose her. And taxes paid for her. Lol.

18. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well, I looked at many dolls at that time but the only doll that grabbed me and where I often went back to the site just to look at, was eventually my first doll.
      I knew when I checked and had enough money to get her home. :P
      No, I'm not unhappy. She can be a pain to work with, because she doesn't really pose that well and I had a lot of trouble finding eyes that would fit her, but I'm really happy with her despite all that.
      My first doll was an Angell Studio Kana, and yes, I still own her. ^^

19. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I have/had an ongoing list of dream dolls, but for my first I was looking for an inexpensive MSD girl. A very good friend gave me a great rundown of the different sizes and companies so I used that and DoA's wiki (because i bought her before i got access, lol!) to help me balance my heart, my eyes, and my purse.

When I began to write down a story/character that's been brewing in my head for about 7 years! It went from a jumble of ideas to a fully fleshed out story and this little doll is at the center.

Not really. Sometimes I do wish I an unlimited supply of money so I could get all the characters at once, as I keep seeing faces and molds that would be good for other people in my story.

My first doll will be a Doll Leaves Maya on a small bust body. I can't see me parting with her, but never say never.

20. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      The instant I saw her, I knew she was mine.

I just knew she was meant for me.

No, not at all. She was everything I wanted.

Tan Lishe, I do! (but I'm re-shelling her next year.)