1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?

Jun 27, 2011

1. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I researched...a lot... I went through at least five or six sculpts before I settled on what was going to be my first doll....and then Dollshe pulled a fast one and put their old sculpts up for sale...so my initial first (and SSDF Abadon) is now going to be second after my Husky, which I am waiting for.
      And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      Because I was determined to get my hands on this boy, and the chance to get one direct from Dollshe was a chance I refused to pass up.
      Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      I currently do not have my doll, so.......
      Which doll was your first and do you still own it?

N/A
      extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      N/A

2. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Because I really, really loved the doll, and I kept returning to the store website to look at her... months and months after I had first seen her. I hadn't had that kind of reaction to a BJD before. It was truly love at first sight :D
      Very close to a year after I first saw it.
      Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      NOPE
      Planetdoll Mermaid Aqua Limited, and aw yeah I still own it!

3. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I did not decide who is my 1st doll, i met her as my 1st contact to any BJD. In fact i fall deep in love with her ever since i saw her.
      I also did not decide this, but i got her when her previous owner got into a debt and need money to pay and the other party was holding her (my 1st doll) hostage so i have to rush down in a taxi to redeem her >.< she is with me ever since :D
      I never regret having her cox i still loved her very very much .
      I choose a little monica lucile (or rather .. she choosen me :D )

4. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first? And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      I wanted to get a doll based on my favorite role play character. I looked and looked for a doll with the right facial features and expression, but at the time I didn't have any means to request a customized faceup (meaning I wasn't here XD) so I was also looking at factory-default makeup. I went through site after site but couldn't find a doll that looked anything like my character. Then my wife suggested Dollmore. We were going in for a boy-girl twin set so we wanted to buy from the same company, so we had to both find dolls we liked from the same place. She recommended a Kyle Reese to me, but I hated him. (Turns out he's pretty much the most popular sculpt. lol I think DM's photos just don't do him justice.) But after looking around the site a bit I found their Huey Lewis and right away I knew he was exactly what I wanted, in sculpt and faceup. I just asked that his eyebrows be made silver and they were willing to do that for me.

After getting more dolls, I realize that I really hate Dollmore's bodies. They look beautiful but they are rotten for posing. My doll was constantly in a fetal position. I couldn't do anything but let him curl up and look like he was sleeping. I couldn't play with him at all. Eventually my wife restrung and wired him, once we figured out better how to do those things, and now at least his arms pose beautifully. And his head's just fine. But he still flops forward or pops backwards because his torso SUCKS. And his legs give out frequently, so I have to be very careful with him. I don't wish I had chosen another doll because I really fell in love with him and still am, but I wouldn't object to putting his head on another body if I can find a suitable one.

I had just gotten my first credit card. I don't know why I let my bank talk me into that. :\ lol But anyway, I charged the dolls for me and my wife so we could finally get into the hobby.

5. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I accidentally stumbled onto a picture of her /crush/ and discovered BJDs.
      I could not forget her.
      I wish I had been able to order her new.
      Yellow Ruki Pirate. Yes.
      Chose.

6. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I knew I wanted a boy. I thought there was more choice in a larger size, and more choice of items for them, too. I didn't want to spent an astronomical amount, so I looked around for what dolls were currently available. I researched as much as I possibly could--reading all threads and everything I could search all over the internet. Because the dolls were so expensive, I tried to justify the expense by going about it as if this were the be the ONE and ONLY doll I would ever buy! So I was very, very careful about selecting one I would enjoy the most.
      'Way back then, there wasn't a lot of choice in dolls... but I looked at all the photos I could and compared my choice to them and knew that even if everything was available, I'd still be happy with my choice. Of course, I was still uncertain about a lot of things--I had never seen a doll in-person, I wasn't sure about skin color choice, I just didn't and couldn't know so many things... but I did as best as I could and was pretty sure about the doll being one I would really like and was the best choice for me.
      No. I have had my doll since 2004 and he is still a favorite! :D
      CP Delf Elf El in white skin. Yes I still own him, and always will!
      I was older already and working full-time. I chose him and bought him myself.

7. It was pretty easy for me. DOD was so popular then--it was the only site I knew of aside from LUTS when I was just starting. I saw Ducan and BAM--I wanted him. I kept looking at him when I could, so that's how I knew that it had to be him. I never had any regrets; he's still with me today.

As for the extra query, he's half a present. Half from me and half from my Mum.

8. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

I researched very, very much! It took a few years to be sure ... but when I laid eyes on her, I fell in love!

I was sure she should be the first when I realized I could not get it out of my head! I kept thinking about what clothes I should buy for her, what wig would look better ... well, neither remembered the other dolls.

No way! Aiko makes me really happy! She's so cute, I love her :3

Junior Leila, from Minoru World. Yes, I still own her :)

I could choose freely, because it was a gift to myself :). I paid myself with a lot of work xD

9. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I had a $200 budget, wanted a fantasy doll, and wanted to start off small and with a face-up. I went from there.

I couldn't stop going back to his photos or thinking about him.

I eventually traded him for a larger doll but I have no regrets. He made me happy at the time and was a good introduction to the hobby.

Green Bobobie Sunny.

I was able to choose as it was my own money.

10. I wasn't hard at all, I saw this picture of this beautiful Korean Girl and fell in love, Elfdoll Sooah. That was it, I started doing research and found a shop on line that had her and did layaways. When she finally arrived, I took me 2 years before I'd really start handling her. I was so afraid of hurting her. So I bought other BJD's that didn't make me nervous and got use to handling them. Then started handling her, even restrung her. I was very proud of myself. She will always have a home with me, no regrets.

11. Spent a month's salary, lead to credit card overdraft

12. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      just randomly browsing on ebay ^^"
      at the moment I've seen him I know it ,but when I saw the head without face.up it was the fatal momentXD
      no... in fact I'm planning to buy an another same one in tan skin :D
      mine is a Doll-leaves W and I still have him :3

yes I were ,I worked really hard for him to collect money T_T

13. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Very hard, since I was the one paying. I spent my entire summer of 2009 researching the net for the right doll. I was on a mission to the point my dad teased me about getting my Ph.D in resin.
      :sweat
      I kept going back to Dollmore Limited, and that was the end of the hunt for me at the time.
      :|
      At first, I was blindly happy about my choice but as time moved on, I grew unhappy with her. It was a factor of a lot of things, but mostly, she wasn't the character I created in 2 incarnations. I wish I had gone SD with her, but I'm so picky about how big SD I am willing to go. Now, I'm feeling I don't know what to do with her character.
      This girl doll was my first, and I'm in the process of reshelling her.
      I was able to choose my doll and she was my birthday gift the year I bought her. Just kept saving up my money until I could afford her.

14. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      well i only had a little bit over $200, so i was looking for something cheap. But what i really wanted was a migidoll.

my first doll was a dikadoll lingyue girl, and yes i still own her

to be honest there's this part of me that wished i hadn't bought her beacause about half a month later my dad sent me even more money by surprise, and i would have been pretty close to getting the migidoll i wanted. But now i'm attached to her, the more i look at her the more i love her ^o^
      i don't ever plan to sell her. in fact she will be the kid sister of my to be migidoll.

15. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first? And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      I initially knew I wanted a volks, since I was most familiar with them at the time and really liked their looks. If I recall correctly, I was leaning towards a Link or an Elena. I did a lot of research at the time, and eventually discovered their cheaper vinyl option. I liked this since it was well, cheaper. Being the anime fan that I am, the fact these girls looked like they came straight from an anime was a great bonus.

No, not at all. My girl wasn't a standard model, so I was free to choose the head I wanted, the body I wanted, as well as the wig and eyes I wanted. I had comtemplated for days (probably closer to months) on what I'd want her to look like, before deciding- so she was exactly as I wanted when I got her. Infact I loved her more when I got her because she certainly exceeded my expectations. My only gripe was that she was blank, but that's only helped me inprove upon my own skills. And so far, the only thing I've had to change about her were her original eyes that I had ordered. While pretty as they were, when place inside a Dollfie Dream head they accomplished a rather 'fishy' look... So I got her some proper animetic eyes. They suit her far better.

Yes. Obviously. Was not a gift, rather I saved up the money myself. And I still very much have her.

16. pls delete accidentally double posted, sorry =(

17. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Ive been lurking around ebay to find my 1st doll, im checking the price as well since my initial budget for a doll is $300, and i want a msd at first. when my sis' bf went to Singapore, i asked him to visit a certain shop there and to get the photos of the dolls the shop has. he provided me the photos and i chose AOD Zi Yuan bec of her sweet face. and i think sd is much better than msd
      when i saw her photo, she's so pretty
      No
      AOD Zi Yuan, got her recently and i think i will never sell her. she's my baby
      yes i chose it, and i used my money

18. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I did a lot of research and looked through a lot of doll companies until I finally found one that I really loved
      about a year into the hobby when I first saw her
      no, not at all, I love her
      VOLKS SD Megu (2010 renewal), yes I still own her
      yes, I saved up for 5 years and paid every penny myself so of course I chose her. she was a gift for myself.

19. Hm at first I had trouble. My friend was telling me about the 'feeling' she got when she saw just the doll for her and I wanted to get it too. I eventually did after searching and searching around at all doll companies! But after a while and after joining DoA, my tastes changed and I was set on getting a Migidoll Miho, which was much more easily decided on~

20. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Despite years of searching for my 1st (and multiple sculpts chosen and discarded), he was an impulse buy!
      The 1st time I realised that the sculpt existed!
      Got to admit, in the 1st couple of weeks I did regret choosing such a ...complicated option for a first time bjd owner, blushing for skin tones was a must, and the initial hunt for clothes was... interesting
      I chose a hybrid of the Simply Divine Thomas sculpt and DZ 72cm body, I've pretty much gotten him how I like him now (though he's a pain to find clothes for!). I love the way the super skinny 72cm body works with his head sculpt
      The money was scrounged together from a mix of savings (That I shouldn't have spent), and a small windfall in the way of a rather belated series of birthday presents (i.e. some money) from a relative of mine!