1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Chubby or Spindly?

Sep 18, 2020

1. @idrisfynn
      That's an aesthetic I'd totally be up for as well! :D

@A Wee Tiefling
      Unfortunately that's only true for their smaller guy bodies. I nearly only collect 70cm, and there it's beef galore, even "just regular thin" is a rare sight there. At most they at least have a six-pack, even when the rest is a bit thinner (or it goes straight into Doll Chateau territory) :sigh

2. I was always secretly hoping someone would come out with a female runway model body, with realistic human proportions. My one female "BJD" is based on a character that has such body type. Luckily for me, I don't see that happening anytime soon (or ever), but it would be pretty darn awesome if it did happen (even if not with BJD, and other than the Bandai Harumika, which were actually a bit "curvy" for runway, but perfectly long-limbed without suffering from tiny torsos, most BJD dolls suffer from). (:

3. I would murder for the chance to buy a chubby or strongman style doll. But alas, I can barely find boys that aren’t starved looking or are literally just one of the girl sculpts without tits, Let alone something like that...

4. I can see that as true if you only collect minis, but companies like Granado and Iplehouse both have strongman style bodies available for their large boys. Iple's HID and EID super hero with strongman arms are quite masculine, and Granado's Evol, Embody and Titan are about as macho as a male body can be!

#24 celga, Sep 19, 2020
      Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    5. I find myself more interested in that middle ground territory honestly. Those spindly look like they've been starving themselves for weeks types like PashaPasha and Popovy honestly give me the creeps (feed those girls, they look extremely malnourished for crying out loud!). At least—when we're getting into bodies with more realistic aesthetics to them anyways. I'm not really drawn to Doll Chateau/Dream Valley's aesthetics personally, but they don't bother me either.

I admittedly also get a bit weirded out by bjd bodies with rolls/flab on them. I am all for the beauty in variety of bodily proportions on real people, but just have no interest in having flabby/more rotund bjds. Curvaceous, broad-shouldered—sure, I'm good with that. Back rolls, belly rolls? Nah, not my thing. (It might be tied into my distaste for chubby cheeked and pudgy bodied child/toddler like dolls)

So, I guess my answer would be neither? Or maybe more so nicely curvaceous gals and beefy muscular men (although I'm also all up for a good beefy muscular female as well :3nodding::XD:)

6. I don't really go for dolls any thinner than I feel comfortable being-- ie: I can't do dollChateau anymore, but. I like the dolls town bodies, and their ribs, and most "conventionally sized" SD girls like flora monkey/April story, Angell Studio, and withdoll (all of which I have at home). I'm trying a lillycat. My Resinsoul 60 body has much thicker hips now with all the modding I'm doing, and broader shoulders, as well as less of a dramatic rib cage. I understand and even like the art doll aesthetic of like dc's y-06 (which I had), and pasha/Popovy, but it reminds me too much of when I had my ulcer and couldn't eat. Really pretty, and nothing against them, but very much not my preference.

Thicker girls on the other hand, are everything. I have a lot of the thicker-but-still-model-like bodies: Iplehouse, twigling, I had a dollshe, f65, and I like them a lot, mostly becasue I like taller dolls, and I love muscular dolls. That said, I think specifically plus sized bjds are so pretty. I want an Of Butterflies And Things girl, one day. I love Argodoll's Plus sized body. I would love to try my hand at sculpting a thicker doll, because I have some ideas for how I'd joint her. I really like them, and I really like the artistry that goes into their sculpting. As a lot of people have said, they aren't the default, so they're interesting for that reason. I really just think they're pretty.

When you said Rennaissance, I was actually really excited, because I think now, when Argo rereleases their 1/3 plus sized body with the Medea head they're working, I'd love to find her some more renaissance inspired clothes, because they really went off with their aesthetics.

7. Titan definitely has the beef™️
      But the rest still kinda have that bodybuilder/ Hollywood/male power fantasy look. Thank you anyhow.

8. Yes he does, lol. Too much for me, in fact, even though I like beef™️. :lol: But I think that the Evol is only one step down from him, so I must have misunderstood when you said that couldn't find "boys that aren’t starved looking or are literally just one of the girl sculpts without tits." If you're not seeking something as massive as the Titan, but want something more muscular than Evol, I just can't come up with a mental image, much less an actual sculpt. I hope that you eventually find what you're looking for! :thumbup

#28 celga, Sep 20, 2020
      Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    9. @Seafoam Shade You are very welcome - I like her a lot as well, her proportions are exactly the amount of "padding" I'd want for a fuller doll - makes me want to make some painting inspired outfits for her :)
      @celga I feel her feet are realistically sized - most woman who gain a bit weight do not get fat layer on their feet - I've known a lady who doubled her body wight during they years - never changed her shoe size :)
      But I added that girl as an example only - there are fuller sculpts popping up all the time, in different sizes and with different faces - that is what made me ask the question - while I don't see a lot of full figured dolls in DO
      @Chameleon I find that body shape to be "inspirational" as well - I love classical art, the idea of having a doll that looks like she stepped out of one of the paintings is very appealing. And it is a good remainder that beauty standards change - thous bodies where the pick of attractiveness at some point, the fact that fashion changed does not take away from the love and care that the artist put in them. A woman does not have to fit the trends to be beautiful :)

I my self am a bit on the fence... But I do find that I'd rather have a fuller figured doll - while I enjoy the photography and artistry of the super thin sculpts when I start thinking about owning one and doing something with them I just... Fall flat. No ideas in my head... The fuller ones make me want to do a lot of posing and sowing :)
      So far I haven't seen any alternative male bodies that I like... The current choice of "very buff" and "slim fit" are good for me... But I'm always for verity - if somebody releases a chubby male I will probably not own one but I'd love to see what people do with it :)

10. @Sshodan Sorry that I wasn't clear; I wasn't talking about any lack of chubbiness in the feet, I was observing the fact that in the pictures, at least, they appear to be smaller than her hands (maybe the same length at most)...hence, disproportionate. :sweat

11. I'd love to see some chubbier dolls, purely for variety's sake haha! I've seen many artist dolls trending towards more of a pear shaped body, but honestly I'd love to see them go a little further. Though I've seen some heavy doll customizers try to make "thicker" dolls and they often run into the issue of the bulkier limbs limiting the level of poseability, so I wonder if that may be limiting them slightly?

However with skinny dolls...I have a DC Diana who is actually just tiny sticks strung together :lol: I love her but she sure is hard to dress without just draping her in fabric haha!

12. Never knew there were even "chubby" human dolls. I would definitely be interested in one of them but I still like some of the thinner body type dolls too.