1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Clothes: Hand made or mass produced?

Mar 1, 2009

?
  1. I make my own.

2. I buy hand made clothes

3. I buy company made clothes

4. I use any and all sources for clothes.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I make my dolls clothing.But I don't have a lot of time to make,so my dolls have few cloths...poor..

2. I love sewing for my girl, but I'm not very good at it, and I often lack the time and motivation, hehe. XD Plus, company-made (and even handmade!) clothes can be CRAZY expensive, especially without an income... it's often much, MUCH cheaper to buy the fabric and make the clothing by hand. :)

3. While I have yet to buy any clothes (oh the woes of being broke), I do plan on it, in addition to sewing for my lot. But there are a few things I won't buy, such as simple clothing. I can throw together a plain, white t-shirt in an hour or two, so I'm not going to shell out $10 plus shipping for one from a company.

The other no-go are pieces of clothing that are special/significant to my lot, such as Alexa's wedding dress. I want those things to be one of a kind, so I've vowed to sew them myself. Or at the very least, commission someone else to if I absolutely can't do it myself. Otherwise, I have no problems with mass-produced clothing. :3

4. I don't have my doll yet so to keep myself busy i've been making clothes. I'll probably have like a 50/50 as far as what the clothes I own are. I usually ponder things like price, how badly i want something, and if i could make something myself that would make me just as happy. Probably spend lots of money for shoes though since those are really hard to make.

5. Depends on the make of a doll. Some are so hard to shop for D: I'm waiting for a lati blueline boy, so either I do a horrible sewing job or I have to start searching for someone I can personally commission seeing as Lati's website doesn't have as much of a choice as I'd like ; w;

6. Currently my dolls have about half & half, designer made clothes & company clothes plus a few things I've made. My boys have many more company clothes though as they are addicted to Dollheart.

I have a million ideas & tons of fabric but just haven't had the time to sew much myself. Right now I'm doing a major trunk clearout since I've finally defined the looks I want my dolls to wear.

7. ;w; I can't sew and the clothes looks sooo expensive for something on a doll. However the manufactured boots are gorgeous D=.
      Mad kudos to people who can MAKE shoes.

8. I'm planning on making most of my clothes, mostly because I CAN. XD

I've been hand-sewing since I was a child (Thank you great-gran!) and actually have already made my RS boy a pair of jeans and a long-sleeved white shirt! Except for bobbling one sleeve (accidentally sewed it on wrong-side out) it looks fine and if that really bugs me I am capable of taking it off and putting it on again. I need to buy fabric to make his fancier clothes but for now he's just happy to be out of a dress. XD

I don't mind buying what I can't make though, like shoes, or some jewelry, and wigs/eyes. Most jewelry I can make though, since I already make jewelry. I plan on doing some hand-beading on his fancier clothes and on some of the other clothes I plan on making for my boys. I like sparklie patterns and so doing it myself means it will look damn good.

9. I buy what I know I can't make ^^ I don't own a sewing machine, and can only sew by hand... I enjoy sewing, but gawd, it's so slow to do it by hand! Even for tiny items of clothing! D:

10. "any and every"... ;)
      I can make basic stuff like elastic waisted shorts and pants, t-shirts, and now long sleeved button(snap)up shirts. :)
      But the real looking jeans, I gotta buy. No way I'll be able to make those with the little rivets n such.
      Probably goes without saying, but I buy shoes too. Way too complicated.

11. I mostly buy Dollmore esp the bots, shoes, underwear and like. For unique clothes I go to Diverse Designs, and I am trying to make my own, but patterns have been hard to find I can really work with. But getting there.

12. 2/3 of my dolls' clothes are manufactured (this includes shoes because I tried and failed at making them!), 1/3 of their clothes have been made by me :)

13. I buy all the shoes and boots for my Mecha Angel. As for his clothing however, I make it all myself. He has quite a lot of items now in fact! Jeans, slacks, sweats, shirts, tanks, tee shirts and tunics. He has a couple of jackets and a big long coat and socks and underpants. I find that I am going to the fabric store every chance I get, so I have accumulated a lot of nice fabrics and trims to make him yet MORE clothing! I like the fact that what he has is one of a kind.

14. Company Stuff for normal clothes, like pants, shirts e.t.c. and mostly handmade for whole outfits, cosplay-stuff and things which are just too expensive or hard to get in BJD world D:

15. I like to sew clothes for my doll, but the time and the skill aren't enought, so i must also buy company ones (but my favourite one is an hood made by me).

16. actually, it depends. I have some company made clothing for my boys, but they're mostly dressed in handmade stuff by myself, since I love experimenting with new patterns, styles, designs and fabrics. so sewing for them is fantastic~~

17. I very much wish I could hand-make my boys a majority of their outfits but given than none of them are really suited to a casual, modern style and my sewing skills are absolutely nill, I don't have much of a choice but to buy them items so they won't be sitting around naked while I continue attempting to practice.

In the beginning I bought quite a few items from shops and whatnot because they were ( relatively ) cheaper and I didn't really know what I was doing. However, now that I've had some time in the hobby to really adjust and get to know what it is that I actually want I've definately taken on a different view about how I'm going to go about buying them things. I really enjoy finding just the right seamstress who can create for them custom pieces since I know not only will the piece fit them perfectly, but it will look exactly how I want it and not 'almost there' like I'll get with factory made things. Of course, I don't really out online shops all together, I love places like TATA's Paradise and Cheery Doll seeing as they make items that suit my boys. But I've definately learned to be much choosier about what I buy for them ( which is, admittedly easier since at least their not staring at me nude, begging to be covered up! ).

18. I make alot of my dolls stuff, but I still buy clothing and shoes. I don't even really want to attempt to make shoes. I'm really hurt in my sewing that I don't have a good source near me for fabric and lace. (especially lace!) Things are so bland without trim that sometimes it doesn't seem worth the effort.

19. I just buy whatever looks good :sweat

I'm hopeless at sewing so I usually buy everything (but I plan to learn to sew after I finish the doll house I'm building). Most of the time it's mass produced stuff but I do have quite a few hand made pieces too :)

20. I use any and all sources for clothes.

I can't really sew (yet?), but I comission my friend, a professional seamstress, to make outfits for my dolls. I would like to learn knitting... and I do love buying company made clothes-- it's like doing shopping, and I like doing shopping;) -- but I prefer those that are somewhat limited... Volks Dollpa outfits, Leeke pre-ordered shoes... I like good company made clothes because they are very detailed and some fabric are special-- it's hard to buy KAWAII fabrics in Poland, very small cute buttons, etc.;) I tend to show pictures to my friend and ask "can you do something similiar?", sometimes she can't simply because she has no fabric, etc., so if I love the outfit, I have no other choice but to buy it:lol: