1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Clothes: Hand made or mass produced?

Mar 1, 2009

?
  1. I make my own.

2. I buy hand made clothes

3. I buy company made clothes

4. I use any and all sources for clothes.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I couldnt sew anything for my dolls even if my life depended on it! lol but I do have access to my mums sewing machine so I might have a go at making something...........

I buy from the Marketplace here on DOA from sellers (like Lennie/tata etc) and I also buy from companies (nine9 style etc)
      It doesnt matter how my clothes are produced so long as they are well made and good quality ill gladly pay good money for someone elses time in making them.

2. I love to sew and make stuff for my dolls, but I do allso buy alot of clothing, mostly socks and accesories. If i like it, I buy it...usually. I do allso comision spesial clothing that would take to mutch time for me to complete

3. I kept telling myself I'd make Kori's close before he arrived >.>; I made him...a pair of pants and some mocassins...that's all.

It's mostly because I don't have the time with school and all to sit down at the sewing machine for hours like I used to during the summer. I've also fallen in love with the designs of a few of the members here on doa. And have purchased from them.

More ontopic:

His clothing mostly consists of mass produced company clothes and originals from doa members ^^

4. I obtain clothes for my dolls through all venues. My dolls have a mixture of things that I've made for them, other people made or were mass produced. The only thing that I absoultly will not make are jeans. I've attempted making them several times and I can never figure out how to put the zipper on ;-;

5. I'm probably going to make a lot of clothes for my first doll due to money issues, but I do intend to buy him at least an outfit or two (especially things like pants that are difficult to make!). Then he won't be naked while I knit and sew for him. ^^

6. I like every source.

I'm not much good at clothes making myself yet, but I'm learning. I like buying home made clothes because no other dolls are going to be wearing the clothes mine is.

On the other note, there are a lot of companies clothes that I do like, and when I have a bit of money I will buy.

7. I too make my own doll clothing!

the only thing i will buy for my dolls is shoes since I can't make those that i want. :sweat:

8. I try to sew as many of my clothes as possible. However, I love the designs and quality of company made clothing like Dollheart, Tata's, WickedStitchery, and Marsh Pants. ^__^

9. I have zero skill sin making doll clothes, actually ive not tried but I know i dont, zero creativity!! Ive a friend who is looking to make a couple of clothings for me and since ive been on holiday in Hong Kong iv managed to buy 2 outfits from some stores. Ill take whatever best option I have right now.

10. I make alot of my clothes. I buy what I like no matter where it comes from. Though I definitely love hand made. I like the fact that my doll has the only one/ not many other dolls will have it.

11. I thought initially that my dolls would be dressing in a mix of my work and things I bought. Two years later they have a pile of shirts, an assortment of reasonable pants (and a bunch half-made), a cloak, a couple kimono and some other odds and ends that I've made... a shirt from a small doll shop that rarely gets worn (clothing was made in-store), and a commercial trench coat that nobody wears so I'll be selling it on soon.

I think of shoes entirely separate... though I'm working towards making my own shoes as well. I do regularly consider commissioning a sweater for my one boy, but custom sweaters would probably be the only thing I might buy at this point... and that might shift after the next meet... knitting lessons, here I come!

Given my more recent sewing works have had people practically drooling over them at meets, I don't feel my dolls are ever going to be lacking. Christopher's uniform jacket especially seems to draw envy, only accented once I mention it's entirely hand sewn.

12. I expect a mix of hand made and mass produced. I can sew, but i'm too impatient to sew well so things I make end up looking very handmade so I need to buy things so my girl will have clothes that she can be proud of. She's currently wearing her first outfit other than the clothes she came with from her previous owner and the skirt I made looks very nice but the shirt is very ill-fitting. I'll have to continue to work on my sewing skills to fill out her wardrobe though, because I'd like for her to have a lot of clothes and I just can't afford to buy them all. Not that the store bought clothes aren't worth the money - I'm amazed at the detail on DollHeart's items and would love to own most of what they've produced.

13. My doll clothing wardrobe is a mix of everything. There's only one or two things I've made though becuase I'm still perfecting some of my doll clothing making. I like to buy lots of ooak or small produce pieces from people here on doa who make clothes and I also buy a lot of mass produce, but I find that some of my fave stuff is what i've bought from people here.

14. I've made some clothes for my doll.. However, it didn't fit her.. ; A;
      So I went around and bought some stuff in the market place for her.. So she won't be around wearing a sock forever. But I picked out things that fit what I could afford her. I don't go for the super expensive stuff.. As I can't afford it. But whether it be hand made, or from a company. As long as I can afford it without selling one of my body parts. I'll get it. XD

15. I normally buy company-made outfits.

16. I have a mix of both store bought and handmade. I make the majority of his clothes but buy any thing knitted (I can't knit to save the world) and shoes.

17. I know how to sew a bit, but there will come a time where you can't make a particular dress or whatever and will have to resort to company made clothes. I go for the use any and all sources for clothes in my opinion -^-^-

18. I started sewing my own clothes as a way to conserve money, but now that I've gotten better at it, I find buying premade clothes somewhat unappealing. I like knowing that my dolls are wearing something I made for them. It makes me feel accomplished, and gives them an aesthetic that is closer to being uniquely 'mine', considering they're wearing exclusively fabric I picked out, and styles that I like.

19. I use any kind of clothing, as long as it's well made.
      My mom sews clothing for the dolls from time to time, if we know we won't be able to find it anywhere or have a specific idea in mind.
      There is a certain kind of magic when opening a beautifully packaged Dollheart ensemble, but ofcourse handmade sets are more unique and add to a doll's personality.

20. I love to do cloths by myself it fun and it is a good way to saving money ><