1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Clothes: Hand made or mass produced?

Mar 1, 2009

?
  1. I make my own.

2. I buy hand made clothes

3. I buy company made clothes

4. I use any and all sources for clothes.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. The clothes for my dolls I make myself. And I allow myself to buy cheap shirts, underwear, stockings and accessoires from Dollmore.
      I really love Another Space clothing, but the outfits I like are to expensive. At least I must try it myself first. Because I'm much happier and proud when I design and sew the clothing myself. And it's original.
      I have no choice when it comes to my MNF. She wears cyberstyle clothing and there is not many clothing that fit MNF perfectly.
      Also two of my boys wear dresses, so I'll have to make it myself.
      Only jeans I will not make. To much trouble, and it looks bad when I make it. So I prefer to buy them.

2. I love this thread :aheartbea

I have started to make my own clothes, and have even had a few people mention that I should start making clothes to sell... which I am currently in the process of :D

Each of my dolls has at least one "professional" outfit. My Kid Delf boys each have outfits and shoes from Luts, and when I ordered my Kid Delf girl, I bought her a pretty dress in the order too. I also bought the default shirt/jeans set from Iplehouse for my SD guy.... so I guess I like my dolls to have a "best" outfit.... but the rest is homemade :)

It is so much cheaper, our local fabric stall sells denim for like $5 a meter, which can make what.... more than 10 pairs of MSD jeans (I joke not :))

I am just fortunate I suppose, that I am able to make at least half-decent clothes myself :lol:

3. Excellent thread!

When I've got my first bjd Serafima (DZ Shoyo-3) I preferably bought for her amazing Tanya outfit and ordered clothes from Russian bjd atelier. Later I found musedoll site and fell in love with their outfit and accessories. Unfortunately at that moment they only offered oufits of SD size. I guess that wish to have something familiar for my girl pushed me to start sewing myself. I started hand sewing first, and now I have sewing machine, isn't it a progress? :)

I love to make historical costumes, rococo and Victorian style. I noticed it is really inspiring to make something with your hands. Besides, there is no limit for my fantasy. I still watch oufits at different sites, I especially like limited ones, with rich decoration and plenty of accessories. They are my inspiration, and I feel a bit happier knowing I can make something beautiful for my girls too :)

4. I make my own clothes and buy from others who make theirs. I have a few reasons for this and i will start with it helps other doll people. If i go out and buy from the company the company gets the money and all of that but if i go and buy from a girl who is saving up for another doll and is doing so by sewing dolly clothes then i have benifited two people! The seamstress can get another doll that her heart desires and the company still gets the money because someones buying a new doll! The second reason i sew for myself is im a college student who has always and will allways be a crafty girl. and seeing as how i have trouble finishing what i start i have found it much easier to complete a project that is doll size rather than human size XD. And last but not least if i bought pepper everything she every wanted instead of using the fabric i've hoarded over the years ( about 4 or 5 30 gallon tubs worth) then my little 12*13 room would be over flowing with doll clothes instead of random crafts. so to cut things short i feel like in buying from others who sew in the community im benifitng the community and the company

5. I've had a go at making some clothes for mine although I'm in no way as good as two of my friends that can make them much more well done than me so sometimes I tend to get freebies off them as I can get the fabric soooooo cheap from where I work. The clothes that aren't hand made I seem to have gotten a lot of 2nd hand clothes recently.

6. I try to do my own clothes but that's quite difficult. I'm not very good at it but I find that quite funny.
      I've decided to make them because I find it cheaper than bying clothes for my dolls. Moreover I love doing handwork ! :)

7. I plan to both buy and sew my own clothing. I've never tried to sew anything in my whole life, so while I'm practicing, my boy needs something to wear. (;
      Even if I do get good enough, I image I'll still by premade clothes, just because there's things I will never be able to achieve.

8. it more of whether I think its cute and if I can aford it.

9. May I choose four of them??

because usually....I buy hand made cloth....but sometime I order them from official website....

and also I have try to make cloth by myself....

10. I must confess to planing on purchasing some company made dresses but I have already made a couple of sweaters.

11. I prefer to make them by myself.
      It's true that exists some clothes that you can't do for some reasons, but do it yourself, makes it more special and personal. n_n

12. I make most of the clothes simple things as I am not very good at sewing, and I buy a few also, but mostly from Mio when I can afford it :)

13. I don't have a doll yet, so I don't feel I can submit an answer to the poll ^_^;;

However, I have fond hopes that I will get a doll soon (this year), and I very much want to make my own clothing and accessories :) I think it'll be fun, and I can make patterns. I don't sew well by machine, but I'm decent at hand sewing, and since I can't afford to show love on my doll with money, I can show it in the things I make for her :)

14. My little sister has a natural gift for sewing, so she's responsible for most of the clothes for both of our dolls.
      When there's something she doesn't know how to do(like jeans, for example), I go looking for it on the Marketplace here. I usually buy hand-made clothes because I know care went into that specific piece of clothing, they tend to have special little details specific to the maker, and they're cheaper(and often just as good as far as quality). Plus, I kind of like buying and selling with other DoA members. I've met some really sweet people through the marketplace... and I love getting little notes in the package that say things like, "I hope your boy enjoys this!" ^_______^
      The only mass-produced clothing I've bought is from the $1 table at our meetups, where all the money goes to charity. I'm a totally sucker for anything with charity benefits attached. Cheap clothing, and the money goes to charity? Yes, pleeeeaaaase. =]

15. Right now I don't have a sewing machine and my hand sewing SUCKS!!! But I've crocheted two tops and a jacket for my girl. Though I must say I like the quality of the clothes made by most of the companies and do make purchases.

16. Any and all sources sums it up for me. Company bought clothes are usually incredible quality, hand made clothes (ie commissions) are great for personalized items I can't make by myself, and making my own clothes means total customization and much more affordability.

Problem is I'm not very good at sewing but the more I try, the easier it gets. Why, I got to the point where my mom (who is an incredible seamstress with decades of experience) actually said she really liked something I made! I'm sure others who want to sew for themselves can do it, too!

17. I make all of my doll's cloths except for shoes and a single volks kimono i could not resist!
      I like hand sewing! though i also use a machine when it is warranted. I finally had to move all my dolls cloths out of the crammed box and onto little handmade hangers to hang in my crafting closet yesterday! So now i can sew even more! Hehe:)

18. I've made my own clothes, but I'm still new to sewing so they aren't very good ^^;;

I also buy from companies and the talented people here on DOA. I've found that the hand made things actually tend to fit my dolls better than the mass produced. It's great because I love supporting the other artists on the forum :]

19. I always make my own doll clothes. First, because I love sewing and, for me, it's part of the fun of having a doll (a big part, in fact). Second because it's really hard to find appropiate clothes for my dolls' style (heroic fantasy) so this way I can design my own clothes - and it's a lot cheaper than buying them!

20. I suppose for me it's really a combination of things. I source them any way I can as I can hardly afford to buy everything I want.