1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Clothing for HappyDoll Girls?

Dec 21, 2005

1. First let me apologize if this is in the wrong place or this question has already been asked. I did a forum search and couldn't find much.

I recently got my first BJD Hanako which is a Happydoll Dorothy. I plan on making her some clothing but I will probably also purchase some as well. I was wondering if any of the Dorothy owners know where to find clothing for the Dorothy dolls. They are a bit larger than the SD13s and such and I've read that some people find that clothing made for the SD13s just doesn't fit right. Any suggestiongs besides the Happydoll website?

Also wondering if there are any sewing patterns out there for a Dorothy sized doll. I've drawn my own patterns for myself but it seems I'm quite horrible at making them for my doll.:doh I'm not saying ooooh give me free patterns! I would gladly pay for patterns for my doll. She is getting quite grumpy with me to get some new clothing.

Thanks for any help:aheartbea

2. I'm sorry, but I've owned a Happydoll Margo for over two years, and except for Happydoll, I haven't found any ready-made clothing that is designed to fit her. I understand Dorothy has the same body, which is both taller and bigger around than the other SDs.

However, I've been able to find some SD-sized clothes that fit her. Loose-fitting ones not surprisingly work best. I'd suggest that when you see something that you think might fit, you contact the seller and ask for exact measurements to make sure it'll fit your doll. Of course you can always commission something, but Happydoll girls aren't that common, and as I know from experience, it's hard to make a doll dress that fits right if you don't have the doll to try it on.

Shoes are even worse. It's Happydoll shoes or barefoot, as far as I know.

For patterns, check out pattern-drafting books to see if they include 1/4-sized slopers. These are almost the right size for a Happydoll girl. I haven't had extensive experience with them, but so far the ones I've used need to be enlarged about 10% to fit my Margo. The book will show you how to use the slopers to make the clothes you want.

Another thing that works is to use a human-sized pattern sheet where it shows the pattern pieces in miniature, and enlarge them on a copier. (I understand you can also scan them into a computer and use Photoshop to resize them, but I've never done that.) There are directions in the Sewing section that tell how to figure out how much to enlarge them, but I've found about 400% will often get you close.

Congratulations on your Dorothy! She's beautiful even though she is a little hard to dress. And if you find a source of ready-made clothing that fits Happydoll girls, please let me know.

3. :aheartbea

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!

Those are some great ideas and help bunches! Esp. with the human sized ones.. since I already have so many of those around the house.

4. In my opinion, Hands down, Happydoll has the prettiest and best posing girl body on the market. I bought one for my Jollyplus Jise. That said, here's what I've learned about clothing her...

Any and all boy shoes and boots I have fit my Happydoll bodied girl brilliantly. She also wears Unoss mary janes and the bigger cut Luts girl shoes (the "Sweet Floret" series for example). I don't have trouble clothing her...but I had a Soah around the house forever, and she's even wider in the hip, thigh, and torso. Everything that fit my Rainygirl fits my Happydoll body (I have NOT tried the pants).

5. Thanks Glyndon! I got worried when flanna posted about the shoes. Its definately a big help.

I love my Dorothy's body and how she is made. I'm having trouble with her having crazy legs and arms right now so she isn't posing too well. Her elastics seem really tight and being my first doll I'm so incredibly scared to restring her.

6. I'm glad to hear there really are some shoes out there that fit Happydoll girls. Poor Yseult has only one pair of shoes, because most of Happydoll's shoes are the Lolita style, which do NOT suit her at all.

7. Yeah, I'd really love to get some different shoes for Hanako. I love the pink dress lolita dress and shoes that came with her but it turns out her personality doesn't fit her outfit.. So I really need to get her some new stuff