1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Collect ABJD along a theme or rainbow assortment?

Apr 18, 2009

1. I used to collect a little of everything, but it got way out of hand! So I've sold off all but my favorites: 3 CP/Luts Soonys and a Soo Dark Human. If I ever buy another doll, it will have to be a girl of similar size and style, because I've found that that is what I like best. I don't like having a ton of dolls, I find that I didn't pay enough attention to most of them. So now I'm just focusing on getting more things for my 4 girls - I'm commissioning some gorgeous Chinese outfits from S & K Dreamhouse ^-^

2. I tend to gravitate towards boy dolls. All the dolls I've ever had, including the one I sold were all boys. I never look at gallery posts with girls (just because they don't interest me) and while they're pretty, I just dont feel the same attraction I feel to my boys. =) I got tired of girl dolls when I was a kid.

3. Hmm nice topic!

Well I definitely prefer boys, and have only 3 girls (one of which was a total impulse trade because she was so perfect for a character of mine). I don't really like fantasy dolls - I only have one vampire but he's otherwise normal, and my highly customized BB Sprite which I'm very proud of, though she's for display only and not considered part of the "group." But you'll never see me with those big fantasy SOOM dolls or elves or anything like that - I love 'em but they're not for me.

The main theme I see going on in my group is a cool kind of gothy-influenced punk-ish style - lots of piercings, black clothes, spiked/studded accessories, leather, etc. Only the girls dress cute, and only Senya wears kimonos. Sevin, Lucien and Orion are almost always in black. But they're almost ALL characters from my wip novel, and I tend to buy dolls with characters in mind for them. Sexy, serious looking dark broody guys are my favorites over the more cutesy dolls.

Company wise, the most prominent co. is Luts with 6 dolls and a MiniFee boy. Followed by 2 DZ minis, 2 DoC minis, 2 AA boys, 2 BB girls and then a few other companies. I definitely love Luts!

4. I find I see-saw back and forth between the European-looking realistic dolls (like Dollstown) and the Japanese anime stylized dolls (namely Volks).

I do have very limited funds for bjd these days, though, so I really try to restrict myself to getting dolls only when I feel I have something artistic to 'say' with them, and I have to admit I find the anime stylized dolls more limited on that front however much I adore them! They just lack the kind of emotional depth I find compelling enough to spend $$$ on.

I need to start playing the lottery!
      Raven

5. My dolls so far have been a rainbow of assortments. But mostly they follow the theme of immortality. I fall for the ones that I can make into vampires, spirits, the undead, or ones that I can give some quality of immortality to.

6. I have characters I want to get dolls for, but so far my dolls aren't them! My BBB and ResinSoul pair may end up as fey characters in the story line. My preferences run towards the realistic side of things-I like Soom (the Super Gems) and Iplehouse particularly. So I guess I have a theme, I'm just not doing it yet!

7. I only have 2 boys completed right now, but I have an extensive wish list. When I first started getting in to this hobby...as in, "I'm not just looking anymore. I'm going to buy," I browsed every company that I could possibly find. So my current wish list now has dolls on it from at least 22 makers and companies. I don't stick to a particular look...just whatever works for the character I'm planning. I have everything from realistic Minimees to more anime-styled CP dolls.

My group will be boys. Most of the dolls on my list are boys or girls that will be turned in to boys. I'm just more drawn to boy dolls. There are only a few girl dolls that I really really like and I only recently added a few to my small list of 2 future girls. Now I have 6 girls on my list, but many more boys than that.

I also have over 3 times the number of SD+ sized dolls than MSDs and smaller. A good number of faery/elf/other magical or paranormal creatures as well. :3

Other than that, the only groups I can claim I actually have are dolls that represent characters for the story I'm currently writing. XD

8. Well I only have two, but they're both from Fairyland and they're both girls and they're both tinies, I guess that counts as a theme. Most of the dolls on my wishlist as FL dolls too, but I have another tiny coming from Soom though. (eventually...)
      I'm not one for hyper-realistic dolls or very mature dolls, I haven't found one that I really have to have ^^;
      I'm not sure if I'd ever want more than one of a sculpt because I like variety! One day I'd like to have lots of dolls in different colours, sizes and companies! :)

9. Well, I don't want 2 dolls from the same company for my first 5. As for size, the same is true. Here's my list, and so far I only have 2.

Anne: 60cm Abio Angel Shi
      Erin: 10cm Lati White Arin
      Imoen: 43cm Bobobie Mei
      Oliver: Yo-SD boy, not childish!
      Uther: 70-80cm boy

So, I'd say rainbow. ^^;

~AK

10. I have two collections:

Robin Goodfellow's Court: Elves and the humans they have taken underhill. They are heavily weighted to DZ and BBB, especially the BBB MSD elves.

The Secret Worlds Dolls: involved an extensive search for the right sculpts.

11. I didn't have a theme in mind when I first started with BJDs. I bought Aislinn, a DD with the help of my sister. With her arrival a story started forming in my mind that started to dictate which way her wardrobe and general appearance could go. I make renaissance gowns for myself, so her clothes naturally leaned toward what I like to sew anyway. She was revealed to be half elven... then I started thinking about, well why IS she half elven, and why was she with me. Something about a conflict between cultures and her having to leave home... Then I got Nathan who turned out to be her half brother. My sister's doll was their cousin. Then I found Etienne, who's MNF Shiwoo elf, who came bringing the news that their older brother went missing in the now full fledged elven war... Sebylla showed up being totally unrelated to their past, she has a history of her own, but she and Etienne became very close and then were separated when I moved and gave Etienne to my sister. Sebylla is very moody now and spends a lot of time alone.
      I had thought at one point I was going to get a large male doll to play the part of Aislinn's elven brother, but I've never seen a doll that I thought could live up to my vision of him... but I still wanted a large male doll. Then I saw Bobobie Weylin. I couldn't get him at the time because of where I was living, so I bought a BBB Nissa instead... a refugee elf-child named Thayet. Aislinn and Nat don't know anything about her, other than she is elven, and not of Aislinn's kin (dark hair, blue eyes).
      So then I moved and now I have the oppurtunity to get the Weylin, who's on his way to me right now... how will he fit into the group.... we shall see :)

I didn't have an intended group, it just kind of evolved over time. I don't act out their tale in photostories, they are they're own little people independent of that imagining... but still, it's all guided how I choose each doll in a way. That and opportunity and availability of each doll. The MNF and the DZ girl were totally off the wall chances for me to snatch up something I wouldn't have ordered... I got them both second hand off the forum... anyway, it's all a crazy building experience.

12. My only theme reflects that all of my crew are avatars for pre-existing characters from the book I'm writing. There are both male and female characters/avatars, some are human, some are not. I also stick to realistic sculpts that harmonize well stylistically with each other, and currently range in size from 57 to 67 cm. I have two that are shorter (approximately 53 cm), but they represent young teen characters (13-14 years old), so still fit in scale wise with everyone else. :)

13. Hmm...I am partial to boy dolls, only just recently adding a true girl to the mix. The key for me is that they all have to be able to be photographed together and look right. Similarish size (head and otherwise), and realism. My group is very mixed race (human, mutant, faery, elvish) so I can justify a little wider spectrum, but it still has to work.

Otherwise I would say I am drawn to the SMIRK. Whether the sculpt has it to begin with, or I mod one on....there tends to be a smirk or a snark in there somewhere...even with my more serious darlinz.

14. They are all girls, otherwise, no theme that I can detect, though I do find myself being drawn to the 1/6 size tinies as time goes on.

15. I used to collect everything but I was mostly gravitating towards luts dolls. At one time had 2 Els, and 2 VDES, and 2 V.Shiwoo, and Chiwoo.
      I've always been more oriented towards boy dolls as well.
      Currently though, I collect more realistic sculpts like Limwha and MNM's. And I have 5 boys to the 1 girl.

16. Important groupings to me:

Banquet Boys: Ushiwakamaru, Amakusa, Okita, and Genji

Volks SD10s: I have four SD10 boys, one SD10 girl, and one SD10 suwarriko girl

I can't really think of any other features that I'd consider groups. I have three storylines I divide my characters into. I love stylized dolls, I love cute dolls, and I know that generally whatever doll strikes my fancy is going to end up fitting in with the rest of the crew in some way.

17. Elves-- My first four or so dolls were CP/Luts Elves. Later, I went into Bambicrony Elves (two), and Tinybear Elves (two). But I also have a number of non-elves--but only two regular humans!

White Skin-- My first four or so dolls were white skin. I've also got a ws Soom and my two Tinybear elves are white skin. But I also have two ns, 3 colored resin.

Large --60cm size-- My first six or so dolls were large sized (3 or 4 CPs, 2 Volks-- plus, 2 Soom 65-70cm). I also have 7 Tiny-sized dolls--so that may be a theme, too!

Cerberus Project-- My first four or so dolls are CP (one Luts head and one Delf Zuzu). But I do have other company's dolls-- 2 Volks, 2 Soom, 2 Bambicrony, 2 Tinybear, 1 Pipos, 1 Elfdoll.

So, some themes, but it's also a bit of a rainbow assortment, too! There are just too many variations of dolls that are so cool, it's hard to stick with any sort of plan at all!

18. I gravitate toward mini size dolls, and boys, there are only a couple girls on my wishlist. I am working on an SD, and there are also a couple tinies on my wishlist. The majority are minis, though. And all humans. I may eventually have a couple who will have small, hideable elf ears, but otherwise no elves, no vampires. My faceup practice head is a vampire specifically because I don't typically like them (as doll sculpts) and wouldn't get attached and have to buy a body for it.

Right now I'm weighted toward Dollzones - 2 full dolls, a body, and the practice head; but there's only one more of those on my wishlist (2, if you count the "maybe someday" list). I also tend to prefer Minifees (and Fairyland tinies), Delfs, and DoD sculpts.

Another trend, an annoying one, is that the mini-size girls I like are far pricier than most of the boys on my list.

There's also the trend of having far more on my list than I can possibly afford. I suspect I'm not alone, there!

19. My only real "theme" is that the dolls who I intend to group together have to look good together.

20. Hmm...I had to think about this one for a bit.
      - All boys ...my little kitty is a female, but she's a cat, so...:sweat I'm just not interested in girls.
      - Mostly bigger dolls...I only have two tinies, the rest are 60cm and up (I'll probably have 70cm one day, but I don't think I'll go any bigger...I had a Mecha Angel and it was way too tall).
      - I think I tend more toward anime-style dolls...larger heads and eyes, smaller chin and nose (though I do have a couple more realistic sculpts too).
      - Luts and CP sculpts...right now I have three Luts dolls and one Luts head on another body, and I've had more in the past, and would like more in the future.

That's all I can think of, though I'm sure there are probably more. :sweat