1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Collect ABJD along a theme or rainbow assortment?

Apr 18, 2009

1. I only have one girl to spoil at the moment, but I plan on keeping my collection fairly small anyway. Some common themes:

Less realism: While I have a great appreciation for beautifully lifelike creations such as Supia Rosy and Elfdoll Soah, I prefer to own sculpts with more of an anime style. Bluefairy TFs are currently dominating my wishlist, followed by a particularly enchanting girl from Rosettedoll. Dark hair, almond-shaped eyes, and full, pouty lips are my weaknesses.

Mature minis and under: I find them easier to handle and manage. There may be an anthro and tiny in the future.

Girls: Only one of the gang will be a boy, unless a company manages to wow me somewhere down the line. It may get boring for him at times, but at least he won't have to share anything. XD

2. Good question!
      Do to a money tree that just doesn't grow...never had a green thumb, I keep my collections to just the MSD sized dolls. At this point being I am also fairly new to BJD's I'm also limiting my collection to dolls that can "share" wigs, eyes, clothes and more importantly - accessories like the little props and furniture. I find I do prefer the mature looking gals over the immature ones but that's just my preference (those those cute little Puki's have caught my eye though). Maybe someday as my MSD sized collection gets to a point of no return then I may seek other sizes (I love the bigger Elfdolls too).:)

3. Hmmm... I do seem to have a tiny bit of a trend, when I look at my dolls.
      Most obvious would be: BOYS. All my resins are of the male variety. (although with a couple, it's difficult to tell. :sweat)
      More specifically: Boys with longer faces and larger, wedge-shaped noses.
      I've got a Williams, an F-31 and a Migidoll Ryu, and they all match this description.
      Makes sense, to me, that a certain asthetic or facial "ratio" would appeal to someone. It comes down to what you like to look at, IMHO. Although, I have been recently trying very hard to break this and save up for something that doesn't fit under said trend. *shrugs* We shall see. :)
      -V

4. Hmmm... I started out with mostly Luts and Fairyland sculpts, SD and MSD. Then I moved on to Bambicrony, Dollmore, and now Elfdoll. So, I've got a variety of animeish and realistic sculpts, but the one thing nearly all of them have in common is that they're elves. Only two of my ten dolls are human, the rest have elf ears.

So, yeah. I guess you could say I definitely have a theme of sorts. :)

5. i dont really have a theme...i found myself collecting 2 of each from all the nice doll companies....

6. I really like the tinies in the 25 to 30 cm range, so I find myself gravitating toward those dolls. Even though I don't have a BJD yet, I think I'm probably going to keep within this range, even though there are sculpts I like outside of it!

7. I find myself constantly gravitating to 70cm boys. Some 65cm. I never seem to like anything under that height range. I just... irks me? I don't know. They feel too short XD So I suppose I gravitate towards that height range personally. As for sculpts I seem to constantly be looking at Crobi boys.

8. I have one Mini, but at this stage in my collecting I can bluntly say I would not buy her now. I love her, but she was originally intended for a character of mine based on her sculpt. I was very new to collecting when I bought her, and didn't understand how different Minis are from Large Dolls until she arrived.

*Mainly, I collect Large and Tiny Dolls, and mostly boys. Of 20 dolls only 7 are girls, and that includes the Mini, 2 Tinies, and one mature Tiny.
      *I have only a few girls on my wishlist of dolls yet to bring home.
      *I gravitate toward the fantastical. None of my Tinies are children, they are all some type of fae. Even the mature Tiny is more supernatural than regular human. Two of my Large girls are non-human, and I have plans for 1, maybe 2, non-human Large boys.
      * Cultural Diversity

With regard to dolls I purchase for their sculpt vs "the" sculpt to house an already existing character, I have a major theme of Cultural Diversity. In fact, I am so taken by this that I have actually developed new characters for future dolls based solely on country/heritage. These characters are isolated in that they come from no storyline and, with only one exception of a small group, do not "know" each other. I am fascinated by the heritage and cultures of various countries and regions. Thus, if I bring home a doll that wasn't intended for one of my long-standing characters, I go about discovering the doll's country of origin, ethnicity, culture, etc.

Presently, in my Developed Only For Doll characters, I have:
      2 Englishmen
      1 crossover Greek-Roman goddess (not to be confused with Greco-Roman)
      1 Russian boy
      2 Celtic cousins: a Scot and his Irish cousin
      1 Korean boy
      1 pixie from Thailand
      1 Germanian pixie with a Bavarian subculture
      1 Chinaman
      3 Welsh pixies
      1 Spaniard

I have plans for:
      Greek, Ghanaian, Japanese, Czech (yes, Czech), Danish, French, Belgian, Romanian, and Ukrainian characters.

9. Hm, I don't have my whole crew yet. I've obtained two out of about a dozen on the wishlist atm, but I do know that (for my characters and their sculpts, of course):

- I have a thing for boy-girl identical twins! I'm going to have two sets of these. \o/

- My crew's gonna be testosterone-driven. (Currently the only females are those from the two pairs of twins.)

- The girls aren't your typical "roses among the thorns", 'cause female characters that belong to me will never be sweet young things. One's a pretty tomboy in skirts with a personality almost manlier than all the guys put together and the other's a sex kitten with an eccentric mother complex.

- I have a thing for height, being a giant of a teen girl myself, so a couple of my boys are definitely going to be 70cm. My first guy is a 70, and even though he's kinda heavy and I have to be really careful with him 'cause the impact if he falls is huge, I'm really partial to his height.

- Sculpt-wise I'm attracted to those with narrowed but not too-small eyes and unsmiling lips, perhaps the occasional smirk, but not too wide because they're usually angsty. Yep, I'm picky, and pickiness has got its pros and cons. :)

- Faceup-wise they're going by an overall dark look--smoky eye makeup, arched, thin eyebrows, nude or natural lips.

- Story-wise none of them are from a relatively normal / sane background. Some of them has a parent or both dead, some have abusive parents whom they hate, some have killed others, some are very, very lonely even with people rallying around them, some have had childhood traumas, and all of them are rebels. So their sculpts and faceups play really important roles here.

10. My groups
      SD- all my dolls are SD sized with only 1 mini
      Sweet girls- DIM Marianne, Souldoll Chantal, Volks Iris
      Boys- Right now my collection is even girls to boys but I find myself instantly attracted to boys and I have to "fall in love" with girls after seeing them in person(Dollshe Bernard, Soom mecha angel Corvi...and a recently sold boy)

11. I have 2 minis ans a tiny. I buy really what I like or what fits a character I want (like what I'm currently saving for). I think I'd be happy if I could have a collection of just about every size of doll there is (except the artist size dolls x_x).

12. Well, I'm only starting out in the hobby, so I'm mostly in the planning phase, but I've found I do like a bit of everything-- or at least, a lot of different things-- and my planned 'family' includes a much broader range of dolls than I had originally anticipated... *sweatdrop*

Certainly it's nice having dolls that seem like they belong in the same world, but it's also nice to have a range. I guess I can see both sides. As my collection shapes up, I think it's going to turn out that some dolls exist in one little 'universe', where another group occupies another. (especially since I've planned out the characters from two different worlds I've created...)

=^__^=
      Anneko

13. I am definitely anime type. That is my most and main theme of them all. Ten of my twelve BJD are (One Piece) manga and anime series characters. Ten of my twelve BJD, exactly the same, are 1/3 scale, the other two (Own creation ones) 1/4 scale. Only three of them (from the 1/3 group) wear fur wigs. It only depends on the need by the character. The not my style is mohair.

I have stuck, in most of my BJD, to CP Luts Delf as I try to follow a same line like the author has one own style. I have broken that habit few times, but only one it meant getting a little bit more realistic BJD. It just matched the character. What all they have in common is, although everyone in the own colour and size, they all have the same glass eyes type.

Only five of my twelve BJD are girls. My weakness are BJD boys by far. That is one of the reasons seven of my twelve BJD are guys. Nine of twelve are normal skin, the skin tone I best like. Among the other three, a CP Luts Tanning Delf, a white skin and a real skin Luts Senior Delf head in a normal skin CP Luts Delf boy body.

By now I have three hybrid ones among the twelve and I am on the way of the fourth one. I feel the need of changing the body type in cases I think it is necessary. One got his body (CP Luts Delf boy body type) I kept from one of my BJD which became hybrid previously, that one got his new one from IpleHouse and the last two theirs from Unidoll.

I rather more mature characters than kind of just a child, other of the reasons why I love 1/3 scale for my BJD. I pay attention to the proportional heights they all are supposed to be so I care about that too and that way I ended up having BJD taller than I thought at first.

I guess I could sum it all up by saying I am an anime, mature, proportional, 1/3, normal skin, sometimes hybrid, glass eyes, not mohair, BJD boys as my favorite way of doing and enjoying this hobby. The theme to my collection since the beginning and for so on is 'One Piece Delfland'.

14. I suppose I get the same type of thing, just with some slight variations- I love the more realistic sculpts with odd or interesting faces- a different aesthetic to the common sorts of doll. Admittedly, not all mine fit that aesthetic either. I got a Bobobie An as my first doll, and he's definitely the most stylized of the bunch, but I also got two Lati boys, M and K who are quite 'traditionally beautiful'. I don't think my Unoa L-Bi is traditional looking, so I really love him for that. Then, my Dollmore Maunier boy and my Tan planetdoll girl are more in line with that 'unusual' face aesthetic. I like my dolls to look plausible...

15. I think mine is completely random, though I do fit them all into the same "storyline" so to speak just so I can link them all back to one thing. I have some realistic ones, anime ones, tiny to 70cm, fantasy dolls, elves, vampires, demons, soon a gargoyle; I like variety a lot.

16. All of my dolls are Volks boys. :) 19 out of 20 of them are SD size or larger, though I don't like dolls over 65cm. I do not buy dolls that take a default eye size smaller than 16mm, because then their facial proportions are more towards the realistic style that I don't personally like. (YoSD size would be an obvious exception, because their heads are smaller! But even my YoSD came with 16mm defaults. XD) As far as their actual features, I lean towards "pretty" boys, but have a few that are definitely more of the cute and friendly looking types.

17. I'm in the early stages of writing a book (as in, barely started!) and all of my dolls are going to be shelling the main good-guy characters of it.

As far a features are concerned, I definitely like a good blend between very stylized and realistic. I don't like the extremes too much. I like MSD and smaller, and even then, go for shorter MSDs (my tallest doll, if the plan sticks, won't be taller that 46CM). And despite somehow becoming a bit of a CP whore recently (like many others :sweat), I want to have my collection span more than one company and style. Every doll has a unique height and body structure, but still match in scale.

I don't have a preference for gender, and I also just generally really like narrow or dreamy eyes.

With the lone exception of the fact that I intensely want a Puki Piki, all of the dolls I currently have, are waiting on, and saving for follow that theme.

I also have two character that are being shelled both as adults and as children, and finding a matching little and full grown version of two entirely dolls has been a difficult, but satisfying adventure.

18. rainbow assortment! I love the different shapes and sizes of my dollies and I think it makes them each special and unique which keeps my collection interesting.

19. I like quirky tinies, like my Pippitan, my Domadoll Cooki, and my Doll Leaves Acorn.

And while I'm sure I have other themes, that is the one that most stands out.

20. Hmmm...well, I don't have much of a "collection" with just one boy, but I'd say there are trends when I am browsing through dolls. For one, I definitely prefer male BJD to female, though there are a few girls I wouldn't mind having. I also tend to go more for aesthetics than poseability. I like a doll with a nice, full, detailed body, and not so much the really skinny ones. I reaaaaally LOVE the sultry-looking, half-closed eyes (as you can tell with my Kirill), and a LOT of the dolls I have geared towards have them...actually, I'd say there is only one doll, a DikaDoll Blanca, whom I like that has fully-opened eyes.
      As I'm thinking now, it'd be cool to get my first Crobi boy now and stick with Crobidolls (aside from my first boy being a DOD), since I REALLY love the company and their sculpts. However, I fear I don't have that kind of control....^___^;;