1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Collecting dolls only when they go with your main doll

Dec 8, 2009

1. i think the set idea is a good one, i would keep each set separated for pictures and what-not :sweat

2. I don't specifically have a main doll (though I do have a couple who are definitely my favorite), but I do try to make certain that the group as a whole looks good together as they are all a part of an interacting storyline. I've had trouble with this in the past as my Angell-Studio Gus wasn't quite fitting in with everyone else's softer looks, he was much too bright-eyed and pointy. Luckily with a few mods to make his eyes smaller, his nose so much rounder and more 'button-like' as well as hopefully his new hands coming in, he seems to have settled in much more nicely.

Luckily I don't really have a problem with making everyone mold nice together since I tend to lean toward a certain style of dolls that I just enjoy the aesthetic of. I only have one doll in the future, a Musedoll Re-Che which I am hesitate about since even though I love him I think his looks will be drastically different than all my other big guys as he will be just so much slimmer and I also worry about his eyes being too wide. Even so, I'm willing to give him a chance since I've never fallen out of love with his sculpt and luckily his character has always been just a bit more seperate from the main group anyway so I'm hoping his differences won't end up being an issue.

3. I got my first doll, Nagi (AOD 1/4 hybrid) so he would fit in comparison with my friend's dolls since they are from the same series. I have two other 1/4s now so they fit with him, all being teenage boys.

4. I too have this tendency to try and and get dolls that are scaled/proportion/believable next to my girl, though there will be occasions I may go off that path for character reasons (like they are some kind of creature/being, etc.) I guess it's because I want to keep within a style of sorts.

5. I only go after dolls of my characters and my problem comes into being when the characters have height differences. Since I prefer pairs over an overall family (although that may yet happen), I just need to make sure the height differences between the pairs works out to my satisfaction.

I'd tried to make same height dolls work for Moswen and Kijika but had to give it up in the end as I couldn't make my brain work with it. So, Moswen is a 46cm MSD and Kijika is a 58cm SD and the height difference is as close to perfect as I'm going to get (Moswen is 6'-3" and Kijika is 7'-0" in their story). Same thing goes for Jolen and Kys. Jolen is a 44cm doll and Kys is a 42cm doll and this works mentally for me as Jolen is taller than Kys in their story.

The one point where I may have some issues is with one of Moswen's half-brothers, Tyhlian. He's supposed to be close to Moswen in height, but the absolutely perfect sculpt for him is the Orientdoll Tae and that doll is only 40cm. Tyhlian's partner is a 44cm tall doll and the height difference there works just fine but between Moswen and Tyhlian... not so much. That's one thing I'll just have to live with when the time comes.

6. i try and buy dolls that look good with my doll. for say if one girl is taller than her and looks quite different i don't like it/.....

7. Not really, I get my dolls because I just like them, I never take into consideration their height, skin color, features etc when it comes to matching with my other dolls.

8. I don't have a main doll but I always look out for dolls that will go well with the group I have.
      I have 4 SDs (one 70cm), 2 MSDs and 3 tinies with one 1/6 (30cm) on the way.
      The SDs look like adults or in their late teens, the MSDs are clearly children and the tinies only match because one is kind of a baby and the other two are anthros.
      Fitting the new 1/6 in there is going to be difficult. If not for her "species" I wouldn't have gotten her. :lol:

9. I buy all shapes and sizes! They all come into the same story line in a way, but its full of fantasy etc, my 19cm is a fairy and my 70cm is a vampire model. xD

10. I don't have a doll yet...but finding the one I wanted has been a LONG journey. I wanted the perfect doll to embody my beloved OC. At first I decided on El from Luts, but sister didn't like him that much and there are a lot of El so I went on another hunt. Then I found Kara Klum from Dollmore and my sister liked him too! only problem...he was too short, damn. Then I went another hunt. This time I found the migidoll Ryu and Miho Head. My sister liked both but said the Ryu might be better...only problem, it's a pain to match the resin! Then I started looking for a body and find that not all dolls have the same poseability. I started searching for dolls with double joints and through some detours, I finally settled on the L-Heart from SoulDoll <3

11. At first, I sort of worried about this because all of my dolls are three very different sizes. One is a mature mini, a kid-bodied mini, and a kid-bodied SD.

I don't consider any of them to be my main doll, but my goal is to eventually have dolls that fit the same scale as them if I ever wanted to do a nice photo story or something. I sort of have a story/theme in mind for my dolls, but it's not entirely original, but at least it allows for all sorts of sizes.

12. Yes! They must revolve around Aeryn and her story.

13. Heh, I have a problem to confess;

I suffer from acute head size-sensitivity. It drives me absolutely crazy if there is any sort of issue with the size of a dolls head. :sweat:

I've now had two separate collection groups of dolls, and the first one ended up on the chopping block altogether, but while I had it I had a DF Yder whom I found very enchanting, but his HEADSIZE! His tiny cranium next to my almost anime proportioned CP girls drove me up walls!

.. Now I have a VERY excluded collection. I finally settled on a size I like, and as it is I only have dolls of one specific make. I had another doll in scale with these existing ones, but she had to go despite me liking her because her head was big! BOO! I'll be experimenting with more dolls in the future, but my collection as it stands at the moment is satisfactory, and I don't really have the need to populate my life with dozens of random dolls, so it doesn't really pose a problem/delay with my acquiring.. I have a main doll and she is the one I compare other dolls to.

My dolls are based on characters that are semi pre-existing, but don't all belong to the same storyline. I still want them all to be together and in scale with one another, and well. I am a fanatic for this specific brand of dolls, and I'm not really against trying dolls out for size before deciding whether to keep them or not. :)

14. so far all of my dolls (except Riven and karst..they're from a game i'm still working on.) go with my main doll - Rion and her alternate forms.

Even though Rion does make a cameo(and is a hidden party member) later on in same game.
      :)

15. yes and no. but i have different ideas of what sculpts go together...i think my Sapphira and my Kara Klums are cute together tho most people seem to think Sapphiras dont go with anyone. i also think my El looks good with my more realistic sculpts...i think its the dreaming eyes that help with that. but, i did sell a girl because she looked terrible with Alex and she really needs to look good with him. it was really hard to find her replacement, but i got lucky. dollmore just released her ;)

16. Basically my SDs fit into one of two groups, very realistic or somewhat stylised. I do display them all together but I like having both types & they each look good as a group.

Size wise though, I'm very picky. Other than my Unidoll Rio & Berkut, I stick to standard SD size. I won't get into 70cm dolls or any girls bigger than 60cm. I won't even buy the smaller 54-56cm girls as they don't quite fit. While the Unidoll boys work with my regular group, anything taller wouldn't. And a tall girl would especially look out of proportion.

In my tinies I'm much more eclectic size & proportion wise. As I only collect the mature ones, except for a few Pukis & Brownies, that limits who I'll buy. And their story is set in a magical wood so anything is fair game to show up.

17. I definitely am very picky about scale. Almost all my dolls come from the same company, at least partially to simplify issues of scale, and I picked another company to buy from in future specifically because it has minis that are in scale (and proportion) to be pre-teen children to my original dolls.

I do have a slight cheat, in that I have some 'demons' and (soon to be added to my clan) some robotic creatures, which more or less define their own scale compared to my bigger dolls. After all, who's to say that a demon shaped like a cat wouldn't be only ankle high? He's already anthropomorphic, so there's no reason to be comparing him to real cats :XD:

18. NO do not do that

I do have groups of dolls that can go with each other

19. My universe of "big dolls" seems to all radiate from the central point of my first doll, Natsume Yumiko. My second doll, Yamamoto Zetto, is her boyfriend. And now that I'm figuring out that I want a Mini Dollfie Dream all of a sudden, of course she's going to be Yumiko's little sister she occasionally has to babysit. And I also want to get a boy doll so that Zetto can have a fellow musician to hang out and write with...a collaborator. But yeah, it all radiates out from Yumiko, like the central star of a constellation. Yes, she wants to direct, and she's "directing" my future plans for big dolls.

20. When I buy dolls, its more like, they have to fit into the chracter I want them to be. And most imptly, my 1st doll must like them.

If she looks like she unhappy ard them, they're out. thats my only standred :)

is it considered? ;P