1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Collecting dolls only when they go with your main doll

Dec 8, 2009

1. I think it depends on the character I have in mind. Like, for instance, if I get another MSD It would probably have to go with my current one because I'd want them to be related in one way or another. But if I got a tiny, it could be totally different.

2. my doll family is centeredaround one doll, all dolls here lead back to him, so they all have to work with him. There are the band, the families of the band, the wolves (one of whom is a lighting tech for the band) and the elves (the family of the main character) and the dragons (who are sort of attached to the elves)

3. I don't follow this at all. I just get the ones which appeal very much to me and then spend a long time trying to figure out what their relationship is! Also I don't have a main doll to model the rest around. The BJDs I do get though never tend to look drastically different so I don't really have that problem much anyway.

4. My main doll, and first, Emily (aod Rao) is sorta the Queen of my gang... She got the matching personality too. :sweat So if they dont fit or go well with her, I dont see any reason to keep them. They must be able to "interact" with her and keep her interest.

Of course I buy the dolls I want, but I know that I will sell the ones who I dont bond with, because they dont match my Emily. She is the nr 1 after all. <3

5. Well...because all the dolls on my wishlist (don't ask how many :|) are in the same story...yeah...they have to fit with the "Starter".

There are two ways of process:

The 1st one is by the story and it's like: Liu Feilong (The Starter) and Hyde XIV. (ha, the 2nd char.) are enemies to death because of the incident that happen between them long long ago. However, we can't forget Édith (look, 3rd doll), Hyde's lover who will do anything to stop the war between her beloved and "evil dragon".

See? In few sentences we have three potencial characters for dolls so basically, they have to go along. That's the one way of feeling.

And the 2nd way: It's basically more or less the same, but here I am choosing dolls to fit my image of the band, like - my currently incoming doll is SM Sphaler. When I'll be buying another doll it will be probably MSD or tiny, because I just can't imagine Sphaler with something bigger. The height of the 3rd doll won't be too important but it will be probably something between 55 - 70cm. Get it? :)

So...yeah, it's little bit hard to understand but if you did...:thumbup

NOTE: About Édith - she would NEVER do anything to stop those two guys from fighting. She's too lazy for that. :|

6. I definitely do this to the extreme. Since all my dolls are characters from my graphic novella, I need them to look like they are from the same world and go together. I made sure that my Clean Slate (DT Yeondu) and Mr. Have (Soom Sabik) looked just like the characters, and fit each other like they should size wise. But Dollstown dolls are pretty stylized in a strange way, and now I have to be really careful that other dolls I buy go with her. It is more limiting, but I love when the look of the whole group matches.

7. I started out doing this too. My favorite doll is an old Dollshe and I really don't want any guys that are bigger (I'm not saying never, ever, but not so far). I try to buy the dolls that are meant to be humans in his scale. I have different scales for fairies and fantasy creatures because in my little universe, they don't interact, except in dreams, or maybe when one of the child dolls sees a fairy in the garden.

8. My main criteria is that the doll I want has to match the particular dolls it's linked too, but overall they have to fit within the aesthetics of the world.

9. I am very gulity of this. My second doll is my doll's "shadow", his dramatic foil if you will. Axel, my second doll, has the opposite personality and history of Aiden, my first doll. All my dolls will be in the same story as my first doll. I think its natural for someone to compare all other dolls to their first, since usually your first doll is your favorite or the one you are most attached to.

10. Nope, doesn't apply to me at all! :) I think I do have a main doll of some sort, meaning she was the first love and the only I consider my first doll, although she came second. But I don't feel that all my dolls need to go well together esthetically or story-wise.

11. That's a good criteria for collecting IMO.
      I have decided that my dolls are all going to be androids or cyber beings of some sort, so that they match together. Having matching dolls is very important IMO.

12. Yes, the scale of the first doll certainly set the size of the other dolls for me (very particular about them fitting in with each other, so they have to be on the 65-72 cm scale). Plus it makes it easier to narrow down doll types and which companies to buy from.

13. I'm the weirdest. I "shop" for dolls together with my first doll, Volks Isao. He picks his team. I only can have 5 SD size, 60cm to 65cm resin dolls. Isao only has 4 picks. He picked Volks SD13 F-38. I'm shocked he picked Soom Sphaler at first sight. He said Sphaler is a colorful character, different from every other doll I've got, he's interesting and will add variety to my collection. He asked for SDF Howl. Now, he's left with 1 more pick.

He did ask for Volks SD16 Johanna last year because Johanna reminds him of his mother. He pleaded with me to give her a home but I did not take up his plea.

My doll family is surprisingly cohesive, I thought Sphaler won't fit but I was wrong, he fits very nicely with the gang, he's flamboyant like the rest. Come to think of it, Volks Johanna and Soom Sphaler would have made an excellent couple. Based on the promo photos from Soom, it's hard to imagine how beautiful Sphaler really is.

Family photo here

14. I don't really match my dolls to go with another doll. Though, I think if bought a doll, and decided to buy this doll a companion... Whom didn't seem to look right with this other doll, when it arrived. I think I would find another doll for each of them. Rather then just replacing the doll. I really love many dolls. And if it was a doll I really like, who just didn't look right as a couple with my other doll. I don't think I would just go and replace it. Not really my kinda thing to do.

But I am getting dolls that belong in my first girls story. That's probably how I'll go about buying dolls. By story. 'Tis kinda a fun way of doing it. And with that said, I do try to match their character, rather then matching them with my first doll. I've changed one of my characters doll like a million times. Haha.

But all in all, I think all the doll I really like have a similar look to them. So, I'm really not worried about this situation. For now anyways. XD

15. This I understand. I tend to buy dolls that will do with my first doll in all of my collections. I have dark headed masterpiece, red headed kish, blond babies, and my BJD's tend to have the same sort of lips.

16. Doesn't really matter to me- Micah is a wonderful doll, but I just don't think it should be based around him- I like getting dolls that contrast in strange and wonderful ways- especially since the world I designed has a lot of different but still humanoid species, it's like bringing my imagination to life! It's so much fun to pick races that they resemble, and I mean, some people might think a Tan Planetdoll girl, an Unoa L-Bi and a Bobobie An don't work well together, but they look perfect to me!

17. Only a starter, but scale is important to me they have to be around the 60cm mark.
      That's the only thing though, other than that skin tone, manufacturer, everything else I want to be completely different to the two dolls I have. So am looking to have a group of extremely different dolls all about the same height.

18. I've vouched for the easy solution. Only buy dolls from the same company >:D .

I only plan on buying Blue Fairy Tiny Fairies and MinoruWorld (sister company, same style) Juniors.

Thar. Now they all match perfectly.

<3 ali

19. No, I buy dolls when *I* fall in love with them. I'm the one who pays the bills around here. :lol: My alpha-male, my first doll, Rowan (SDC Arashi) doesn't care how big they are or what they look like next to him. On the other hand, they ARE all male, so I guess you could say there is that requirement. ^^ But that's not something that was established by the first doll; I had specifically set out to only collect male dolls, so buying girls was never in question.

Anyway, for me it's utterly unimportant to have a new doll match in size, style, or company to the rest of my collection. I have a pretty motley assortment by now: from 10cm to 81cm, from anime-style to lifelike-sculpture, from Cute to Handsome, from boyish to mature, from earthly to fantastical. I like to think of my collection as a sort of "flight-lounge in an intergalactic airport"... because I like the way they look all sitting next to each other, when so many of them look like they've come from different universes, nevermind different planets. :>

20. I actually worry about this a lot. My first doll IS going to be I.O.S. Osiris, which is a big ol' 70cm dude, and he's going to be a character of mine, so I'm probably going to have to get nothing but 70cms because of him. Which is okay, I guess... I can be a DoA 70cm mastah, ha. But I worry about getting clothes for him and anyone else I get.

I also worry about heights and stuff... the character I want him for is really tall, so I'm thinking his rival can be either another 70cm or a 65cm. A chick could easily be 60cm. I guess that's how it'll pan out for me.

I can't help but worry, though.