1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Collecting dolls only when they go with your main doll

Dec 8, 2009

1. Actually, this doesn't bother me that much. But then, I could be accused of playing with any old doll <grin> as I plan to buy an american girl to be a friend for my MSD. Weird? yes, but I have a storyline that I'm formulating. I want to get an SD but haven't made up my mind as she would be the teacher/ governess. I like MSD's and would like to get another one, but then I also love the tinies too, because of the dollhouse perspective. So I basically have to really love the doll for it to come home with me.

2. There are two "storylines" I have planned for my dolls...

There are the dolls that are based around a novel I'm writing (and an extra I'm going to squeeze in there as one of the characters in the novel is based off of a role-playing character of mine, so who knows if later in the series that character might have a son. >__>; ). Because they are from the same "universe" I require they suit each other in scale and general looks. (ie: One not much more 'anime' or much more 'realistic' than the other. So neither too stylized nor too real-person looking.)

Then there are dolls that are sort of my "bonus" dolls, capable of doing whatever I like to them. The only two I currently plan on are themed after the elements (Water and Fire respectively). I don't know if I'll ever get Earth and Air or even extra elements like Metal and Wood; etc. But I'd probably still require an equivalent level of "realism-meets-style" from each of them, though I don't think I'll bother worrying too much about scale.

3. Well, yes. I really liked Fairyland's FeePles, but seeing as they're 70cm, and my main -and currently only- boy is 70cm and looks a lot older than the FeePles, I couldn't get one. It just wouldn't be right in my mind DX

4. I worry about general sizing/scale in centimeters, and also I do hope that they look like the character they're supposed to represent. :] and for example I couldn't get a lati yellow because even though they're adorable their bobble heads wouldn't match haha. :sweat

5. I think I am really picky with uniformity for my dolls. I lean towards the dolls that look more realistic, so thheres no worries I'll have some completely misplaced anime-ish kid in my mix. So I guess sizing is the only issue. Right now my dolls are 60- 70 cm. and because of this I'm just a little wary of getting an msd in the future whether they'll fit in well. And puki's though sometimes I think they're adorable they're just WAY too small!! If I got Puki's they wouldn't fit in with my sd's but.... I think I'd keep them in twp different places.

6. i honestly could care less about their sizes being the same. currently I have mostly MSDs, but I plan to have a hoard of tinies in various sizes and a pair of SDs to cover all my bases lol. as long as they have the general facial similarities, though my IP Ryan looks far softer than my DOCs and MNFs,... yeah. I say don't limit yourself.

7. I don't think it's about them looking the same... but being the same proportionally.

For instance getting an SD that would fit in the world of your MSD. This doesn't necessarily mean they have to be the same doll, same size, same features etc. it just means that they would have to look like they belonged together proportionally.
      This is really a hard concept for me to explain ... but I think it's just something you understand innately . People want their dolls to look good next to each other and there isn't usually an exact formula for what that "good" is, it's just something a person understands on a more subconscious level (especially if you are an artist I've noticed).

For instance, as much as my anime geek would love to half a dollfie dream ... I have reservations on getting them because most of my dolls are going to have a more 'real' look to them, as opposed to cartoonish. They just wouldn't look like they were a part of each other's world to me.

I'm not sure if any of that made any sense:doh

8. Well I have two obitsu's that while differ in quite a few centimetres, have been put off in their own little pairing together

As for my BJD's, I currently only have Draven (My lovely MO-2) but while searching for a future companion for him (Which will come only after much saving!) I was certainly looking for one that fit his height- likely a Luts Kid Delf Bory <3

9. Ahh hopefully I'm not reviving an old thread when I shouldn't. 8P

I can completely relate to this. My second doll, an Elfdoll homme skin Red on the older, shorter body (58cm). When I found that his skintone was too complicated to hybrid into a taller body(other than another ED body) I changed my focus from taller SD to shorter SD. So height-wise everyone now must compare to him. XD; Its made getting girls somewhat difficult as not until recently most SD range girls were 60cm+. Then you add heels and.... you see what I mean. @.@
      I guess I sort of have established a congruent aesthetic among my dolls, but I don't think that came about specifically because of him.

10. I'll get any doll I like enough to spend the money on it. Never mind the size or whether the look fits with my other dolls. My smallest is a Realpuki, my tallest a Minimee head on a DragonDoll Uncle body.

11. If I'd say I'd totally care about the size of my dolls then I would be lying, but I do care a bit ;)
      The majority is in the 43-45cm range, with two exceptions. One being my LTF doll and the other being my OD doll (40cm) with totally different physiques. He was my first doll so I can't say they are completely matching, but there is no way I would ever sell him. So he will remain the "odd one" within my group.
      If there will ever be a 7th doll it would still be a MSD sized doll, maybe slightly bigger. And although I really really like some SD dolls I think they could ever be part of my crew. They would turn all my non-msd-kids back into kids...:lol:

12. I realize there is a certain "look" I go for- wider set eyes sort of a little bit closed and a scrunchie mouth. For some reason if they don't fit that mold I don't go for them regardless of other factors like size.

13. I realize that over a few years of looking for dolls I am quite picky. The facial structure of the other dolls must be similar to my first doll. By the way my first doll is a DOT Homme Ducan from Dream of Doll. I am trying to create a family for my doll. It will the older brother family then the younger brother family. So different kind of dolls that will be different heights, different skin colors but of a similar facial structure.

14. I do this, but it's more because I have this inherent need to make sure they are all coherent, story-wise. There were a lot of dolls that I took off my list - not because I didn't like them - but because I couldn't think of a way to include them in the story I've got going. My doll's stories originated from my first doll, and oddly enough, every consecutive doll/character idea has come from a little vignette I do to shape my characters. Stephen came from Emma's photostory. Nouna came from a small story I wrote about Stephen. Now, Nouna's brother - who's probably not going to be bought until a long time from now - comes from a vignette about her.

15. Frankly I just planned it to be my Mei and I haven't even bought her yet but with how my mom put it to me eventually if I save up enough I could have a lot of money (enough to buy TWO Mei's) in a few months.

So....Another character popped up unnamed to my girl's storyline as a little sister. So I'm hoping to bring home two dolls eventually. A Mei and a Bei both in Light Tan. I already have a wig that'd fit the Bei ironically.

But I want my MSD more so if I don't have enough for the two of 'em...Still buying the one I went for first. The other will come to me eventually....They always find a way.

16. Well... I have the scale of my Count Cain/Godchild boys, which are all gonna be 65-70cm monsters (Yes, monsters, these boys weigh so muuuch. D; )...

And then my original dolls will all my MSDs.

So there are two seperate "families" to match, in my case.

I won't really be buying any sizes inbetween.

17. My first doll is my writing muse and the star of a novel I'm writing. I'm currently overhauling my collection to include only dolls that work with him in terms of style and proportion. Since the characters in the story are different ages, my dolls range from SD to MSD. My biggest concern is that they look good as a group, which is proving more challenging than I thought.

18. I used to care a lot about how my collection looked all together, but I've recently come to the realization that I like pretty things, and I find a lot of very different dolls pretty. I've pretty much given up on making them all match.

However, I do still worry about how some of my couples will look together. As long as the doll fits the characters, and the aesthetics are similar, though, I really don't fuss over it a lot.

19. The closest I come to this is needing my dolls to be in proportion with eachother, as some others have said. My first doll was slightly over 60cm, my second was 70cm, and now most of the dolls I like are over 60cm. Even if I like them, I don't buy dolls that are too far under 60cm because they would look strange to me. I want a Zaoll, who is going to be a character that is supposed to be short, but other than that, all the dolls I have planned are at least 60cm, most of them 70cm.

I like the way minifees look and have considered getting one or two, but I never do because I know, in the end I would sell them. Anything that short would have to be a child in my doll group. The one MSD I did have for a long time was supposed to have a form of dwarfism.

20. Well, I don't really have a main doll XD but I am trying to buy so the sizes all look okay with each other.