1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Company's taking costume ideas?

Jan 2, 2010

1. I'm not sure if this topic has been covered in this thread (it certainly has been in many others) but this is completely false. There is no such thing as a magical percentage that you can alter someone's work by and it suddenly becomes yours. None.

Granted, it might be much more difficult to prove the copyright infringement in court if some alteration has been made, which would require a more expensive lawyer and a more prolonged, costly lawsuit, which is why small artists may not pursue it, but there is absolutely NO provision in the international copyright laws regarding some percentage of change which would suddenly make your work no longer yours. (How do you quantify that anyways?)

2. Personally? No. Because Lolita fashion was inspired by outfits worn in Kuro's era and Ciel's outfits aren't original designs many people have worn stuff like his clothing.

I'm thinking more so: "Wow! Only having to edit it a little and you got a perfect Dollieh cosplay free of poking your finger or plotting The Great Sewing Machine Massacre."

3. That isn't right >:O They directly took the designs and making profit off of it. Cosplayers do not make a profit, so no harm done.

4. Well, I've been told... I honestly believe my friend when she complains about the 10% thing, but I haven't looked up the law, having been exposed to more environmental law as opposed to copy-write laws. I still maintain that it is horrible for the artist.

5. cosplayers DO make a profit, at least the companies that sell unliscenced "homage" wigs, accessories and clothing. there are also those that have membership-paid photo sites or get paid to travel to cons as special guests. so please stop touting that phrase, as it is innacurate.
      also, the only one that bears an artistic similarity to ceils clothes is the first one. the clothes are diffrent, diffrent styling and accesories. if we go by similar = copy, than any doll wearing a suit-with-tails is trying to be sebastian. or wearing a beige school uniform is an instant ripoff of battle royal.
      fashion is very limited when dealing with a niche like victorian-goth. certian colours and styles will be repeated over and over ie: roses with skulls. it just is and claming everything is a ripoff screams childishness. sorry if i sound harsh but it grinded my gears, so to speak.

6. The whole "changing 10%" or whatever number percentage is a MYTH.

Often, it is all up to perception. I agree with mostly what siead_lietrathua says: often clothing designs are either 'homages' and are not accurate reproductions (which would be violating), or simply 'inspired by'. There are definitely 'artistic similarities' like siead_lietrathua says. One can only reinvent the wheel so many times, so to speak. Soon enough, all punk clothing will look the same, because they often have the same influencing ideas and designs.

You also cannot copyright clothing, in general. Also, every country has different copyright laws, so in some Asian countries (I'm not sure about all of them), there really is no issue in this subject.

Before we shout 'copyright violation' to the skies, we must ask ourselves, "how perfectly accurate is this item?" "Are they marketing it as a reproduction?" "Is it against copyright laws in that country?"

7. when it comes to accuracy, they are very far from the originals. the pink dress would be closest, but even then since the doll doesnt look like ceil it again falls under homage. which is exempt from copyright laws (that's how cosplayers, fanfilms and etc get by)
      but the first three, i could make a list of the inaccuracies easily, if it was actually trying to outright copy the designs.

edit:
      actually went back and made a list.

first one
      hat missing feathering that flows to the back in a cascade
      collar lacking ruffles and bows,
      only similarity in the sleeves is the presence of lace, the doll has added chains and leatherwork, and is lacking the wrist segment and detailin in the drawing.
      overcoat is a compleatly diffrent style, and lacks many of the layers, chains and detailing in the back.
      doll is wearing long pants with much detailing while ceil has on plain shorts.

second one
      missing the black ruffling at the waist. shirt sticking out =/= ruffling. also missing sleeves and accesories.
      doll added an undershirt and bow, the jacket is red collared, not black.

third one...
      the only similaries is colour and the cuffs being rolled up.
      the cuffs are green with red trim instead of black.
      shirt collar's ruffled while ceil's is plain.
      the doll has an ascot and not a ribbon.
      the coat is single instead of double-brest, and the coat collar is duo-toned in green and brown instead of black.

8. Due to the uncanny resemblance of the original and the outfit I would have to say that it definitely isn't right. The companies selling the clothes should at least make reference to the show and the artist. I'm a huge Kuroshitsuji fan as well.