1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

'Complete' Collections of Dolls?

Jun 10, 2010

1. Very good questions and timely for me.

The ideas have been brewing in my head recently for two reasons: a coworker asked me how many dollies I own. I knew it was bad when the fingers came out.

In addition to bjds, I collect certain fashion dolls. This off-topic moment will relate to my bjds, shortly. I love the Gene Marshal line of dolls and my plan was to get one of each doll (there are six) that represented both companies that produced them. I recently acquired two of the more rare dolls, bringing my collection to five with one to go.

2. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      I planned to put together one arc of characters. Right now, it looks like the original arc and a side story (e.g. anthro sculpts that have absolutely no place in the original universe).
      The goal is realistic as the original arc contains 3 main characters and two side characters, but at the same time... it isn't, because it's really hard to find the sculpts that would be aesthetically appealing, would correspond the characters and would be less than 70 cm high -__-" *preferably even less than 50 cm since two main characters are MSD size and I really don't want to change the base just because I can't find anyone else*

Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable)

Right now - I don't. I occasionally browse the MP and the news section but I can't find anything that would interest me even the slightest bit.
      I occasionally buy the side story characters just because I want dolls for customization or because I find them cute. But that's basically it.

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them?
      I really doubt their number would ever exceed 10. I doubt I will be selling any of the dolls I already have, but everything could happen, so I wouldn't say "never".

If you could create one realistic goal for your dolls, what would it be?
      Get enough dolls of one arc to make actual photostories with multiple characters.

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?
      Depending on the arc. If it's the main one, then they come from a series of short stories and a scenario for a book I can't begin writing. The characters from the side story come into life as I buy dolls to represent them.

3. Interesting topic!

In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

For me, my collection is 'complete' once I'm satisfied with it, even if I do want more and I do want to make changes to the dolls I have. For example, my collection feels complete now, even though there are more dolls that I want, and my SSDF needs new shoes, and my Luv is away for mods..I feel content that they all fit together, they represent what I want them to represent, they're a 'family'. 'Completeness' is more of a subjective feeling to me than an objective view on what I have and what I want.

Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable)

Maybe. I often have this for a while, I didn't buy any dolls for 2 years after getting my Cecile, and I have to say I'm pretty satisfied now, too. But new dolls will come again one day, I'm sure!

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them?

I don't know! As many as I like and as many as I can handle, I guess. I am very picky though with my dolls, they have to be perfect and they all have to be equally dear to me, or else they're not staying. I'm not one for impulse buys, or for trends, or for working out of a general idea and then leave the doll to sit and be pretty-they have to inspire me over and over again. Often, I search years for the right mold. So, in the end, I think I will have many dolls but each of them will be very dear to me.

I've sold a few dolls, but I plan on bringing the characters back in forms that suit them better.

Create more outfits for them! XD

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?

Both..my first were characters designed specifically for the dolls I wanted, and after that more characters developed and I searched for mold for them. But more than characters, they're muses to me, things and theme's that inspire me and I want to 'catch' in a doll form. The doll that I choose for them has to have that *feeling* exactly, the potential to be exactly what it was in my mind.

4. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      Well, for me my collection will be 'completed' when I'll get those last 3 dolls of my wishlisht. My collection is very different in size matter. I have 1 SD girl, 1 SD boy, 1 zaoll, and 1 msd boy. My first (and last) msd girl will be ordered in few weeks. I dont see myself every buying any more dolls of those sizes, and when I see gorgeous doll of those sizes... it's gorgeous, but I still dont want to buy it, 'cause it would be boring for me. After I'll buy my msd girl, in my wish list will be only staying 1 Volks (which is SD-13 girl, but for me volks is tottaly different from all other dolls, so it's not like second SD girl for me XD) and Qpito (who is one unigue msd boy by Gu Mi Jeong, with ventriloquist doll-like mouth). Also I can imagine myself buying yo-tenshi Hinata of marketplace, someday, but I am not sure if I am comfortable with yo-sd size, yet.
      So, it's like I am collecting different types of dolls xD And when I'll get all the types I like - my collection will be completed :)

After I'll get my msd girl, my volks, my qpito, and maybe yo-tenshi - I am completely sure I wont be buying any more dolls. There'll be already too much of them, I would feel claustrafobic if I would buy even more xD And, all the types of dolls I like will be already on my shealth, so I'd rather buy them expensive clothes and shoes and stuff xD

When I deside on buying doll, I make 100% sure I like it, 'cause I wont be able to bear selling/trading it. I dont want to sell or trade any doll I own, I just cant imagine it.
      So, in the end I'll have 7 dolls. Or 8, if i'll decide to get this yo-tenshi I am not sure about. NO. MORE. THAN THAT. Maybe + 1-2 floating heads, but not likely.

I want all my dolls to look neat and nice. Hight quality faceups for each, hight quality clothes and shoes for each. I want them to look gorgeous, and I am doing my best at that :aheartbea

When I fall in love with scoulpt, and I decide on buying it, and then I am waiting for it to arrive (or saving for it) only then character comes. I am never looking for a doll to fit character, 'cause characters are not the main point about my dolls xD

5. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      Having all the dollfies in the world I think are cute<3
      Probably not >.> I'll be a craver forever
      Oh I want a resin army :3 I know this one girl who has 19 and I thought "Wow how AWESOME"
      Become a GREAT tattoo /face up artist/ synthetic dread wig maker...and perhaps a "decent" sewer :D
      Both! if I buy a doll and it doesn't fit a character, I make it into a character :D that way no lonely dollies

6. yay ill have a go!

In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      A complete collection to me is having the amount of dolls and all the characters you desire. Yes in time I feel it will be real to me.

Um once I have my number and my characters I will be satisfied but I always will buy more clothes and items for them.

I still have 3 dolls left to sell that dont fit in actually and a head. I would like to own 28 dolls and i feel 30 is way to many so im sticking to 28 XP

Make them bright, beautiful, and not boring.

Um usually I have the character already but sometimes I see the doll then an idea pops in my head ^^

7. I don't think I'll ever reach a point where I'll turn around and say "Right, my collection is complete!", but at the same time the urge to buy another doll may trail off if I have more of them.
      As for their characters, I didn't have any set intentions for my current girl, so she's more or less developed herself over time. On the flip side, my new girl has been ordered with a very specific idea in mind, so it'll be interesting to see if she plays along.

8. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      I guess a complete collection, for me, is when I feel like I'm done and don't need anymore. But, I don't see that happening, since companies are always coming out with new, gorgeous dolls. XD;

Aha, probably not, unless I completely run out of room and have nowhere for myself to be without possibly sitting on a doll or something.

No idea. I'd love to own dolls of all of my OCs, major and minor, but that's well over 100 characters. I'll probably just stick with the major characters (unless the doll decides they're someone else! u__u; ). I'll most likely sell or trade some dolls, I have before for various reasons.

That all of my floating heads will have their own body.

Both. I have dolls I got to be specific characters and some who's characters developed after I got them (which made me create new stories).

9. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      For me the absolute "Complete Collection" would be 5 female and 2 male SD dolls and maybe a child doll, but I currently have 3 female and I male and no immediate plans to expand on that, in fact I've just sold one of my major characters! I don't know if I ever could "complete" this set of characters though as one of the male characters is very mysterious and I think realising him in a solid resin form might detract from the mystery for me!

The other 2 female characters, I can see me eventually finding new dolls to become them, not sure about a child doll though, doesn't appeal so much

I think I'm finding that the cabinet looks awful really crowded so I don't want too many more. They come out a lot, but I need to keep them in there mainly. I have often sold/traded, though, I think the 4 I have now are "ultimates", so I have no plans to sell these.

They are characters I created some time ago and all belong in one story, when I bought the first doll I didn't realise this would happen but now I can't imagine owning a doll that doesn't belong in that story! :)

10. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

A complete collection for me would be having enough different types of dolls that I could choose any scenario I wish without having to buy additional dolls to portray new characters. Interesting concept, but seriously doubt if I will ever get to that point as my imagination keeps kicking in with new ideas.

I doubt that I will ever be totally satisfied unless doll companies stop making dolls altogether. There are always new dolls that tempt me to buy. Realistically, though, I don't think I will buy many more big dolls.

Numbers don't mean much to me as far as collections go. I don't want so many that they just sit on shelves and are never played with. If I were to get seriously ill or get too old to enjoy them, I would sell them, rather than have them go into my estate.

My goal is to have fun characters and awesome costumes for them all. That's it.

I try to invent their characters before they arrive, but sometimes they change after I have them in hand, or they evolve over time.

11. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      I never actually gave the 'complete' collection a thought until you brought it up. Since I would never dream of making my literary characters into dolls (how weird wouldn't that be? And I am scared because how dolls tend to change original characters, that my original idea would be totally altered), so I don't have any set goals in that regard. I don't have a specific family I am making either. It would be fun to have some sort of theme, I guess... but... then there's all the dolls that inevitably fall out. I should really sit down and plot a 'finished' collection. Or else I might just continue to collect forever.

I think there probably will. I've already gone through a year long episode when I didn't even look at my dolls, much less wanted to buy new ones. I am very in and out when it comes to my hobbies. For a while I obsess, then for a while I forget all about it, focusing on something else. I don't doubt that one day bjds will be not much but a funny "stuff I did once" thing.

Well, right now I want to own bunches! There's so many gorgeous dolls out there. But now that I think of it, a structure would be nice. I'll have to sit down and think about it.
      Sell my dolls I might end up doing. Maybe. I have a couple that would never leave my side though. They have immense sentimental value and not so much monetary value anymore.

Hmm, I'd like to create for them a little world they can all exist in. Atm it feels like they exist in different places. A gathered story for the all of them, maybe. Yeah, that would be nice. I'd like to be able to look at them all and think "they're finished. Done. I know them now".

Two are, but they both got altered. It didn't work that way, I realized. How I create literary characters and how I create doll characters are very different. Now I only have a vague idea of how they might be, or what I want, and then I deal with it when they finally arrive. I like to try and max their potential.

12. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      In my opinion, my 'complete' collection would be the characters i make for my novels/stories. Only problem with that is i make new characters quite ften so i dont really think my collection will ever be 'complete' lol though i have a semi complete group of dolls that once i get the rest of them, they will be coplete and i wont buy anymore for that specific group of dolls, if that makes sense

I did believe so. When i fell pregnant with my duaghter i statd to sell a couple of my dolls thinking i wouldnt have the time for them, but within a couple of months I found myself wanting to buy another doll so i cant see me giving it up anytime soon lol

I have 10 dolls planned for over the next couple of years lol I've sold a couple before but the ones i have now are keepers :)

To complete 'the crew' group of dolls, that would be a realistic goal for me lol

All my dolls are characters that I've made before i bought. I like to find a doll that hits me and says "I'm perfect for so and so's character" Though i do use the personalities of the doll now and then too.

13. very good questions!

To me, a collection is never complete, as new dolls might add to it anytime, but it might be almost complete... ;-)

ou think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable)

I don't know, I might stop if there's no place on my shelf anymore...

I cannot say about the number, but I don't think of selling or trading them. I love the ones I buy, they're like an addition do a family... but then, they are objects, if I had money troubles I might sell them, but I'd try to sell something else first...

Their own little place in our flat (a shelf, or something similar, where to put chairs etc. for them.) their place isn't as comfy as I want it to be.

It's a process, but I like to change bits and things about them, but somehow their true character is always visible...

14. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      A complete collection for me is one in which I have brought all of my closest characters to tangible life. That collection is two dolls away from completion..so yes, I'm sure it will be realized in a few years.

There will definitely be a time I'll stop buying, but I'm not so sure about if I'll ever stop wanting to buy.. ! Every now and then I crave another doll but I don't think I'll be giving into those temporary wants.

10 is the most sensible number to me...I love the decimal system and alongside that, I don't think I can handle too many more dolls. I've never sold nor traded a doll I bought, and to be honest I can't see it happening anytime either.

I just want to make sure they have more than one outfit each!

Leu's the only doll I've had whose character had to develop under my ownership instead of me finding and giving him a shell. All of the characters I'm bringing to life have been here for years and years..Leu's still revealing himself to me little by little. : )

15. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

To me, a "complete collection" would be one set of characters done. For example, if I were to have dolls of, say, LotR, I would call a complete collection to have the full Fellowship of the Ring. Then there would be more to do :D

I don't know, everything's possible. Right now, even if I'm not in a hurry to buy more dolls, I know I'd like to buy may more.

I don't know. I know I at least want to make eight more characters of mine int resin. Probably nine...

Everything is realistic as long as you have the means (L). At least, that's what I keep telling myself... Right now, three more. One year from now, I don't know...

Actually, every doll I own right now was bought before thinking of the characters, except for Xionesse and Willow. But he doesn't count because he was going to be totally different... His story changed right after Xio came home.

16. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

Answer: For me it's already complete, there are some loose ends than I could give them a try but I'm not into buying more than the ones I already have, I have some of my most cherish self made charters, and some fantasy characters just because they where pretty, and some limited and one animal like, I also have Obitsus, and I honestly think I wold like to do my own BJDs from now on rather than spending more and more money on more dolls, I think there is a point where one can just "feel" the collection it's complete, for some people it's just 1 doll, for others 200, it can't be measured generally but only the owner of the collection knows it's collection it's complete.

Answer: Like I've said, I'm allready on an halt for dolls, sure I see new lovely molds and innovations and I want to grab them, but 11 dolls are more than enoght for me over now...and considering they are so expensive, I rather not to "just buy another mold because it's cheap" if I don't really like it, because the dolls I like are trully expensive (most of my dolls are 70cm tall for example, Iplehouse, SOOM, BuddyDoll, etc...). So I guest "the time it's now"...;)

Answer: Two questions in one!, I think it will be interesting to do my own dolls, and at than point I really don't know how many will be the end, no more than 20 I guest, since I don't have the space to display them, and about the sell or thade4, some of them yes, some others not, it depends of the need, the situation I'm in and the price the costumer it's willing to pay for them.

Answer: I think I had already mentioned this, but, to do my own dolls.

(Extra Answer): Both, some of them where made before and the doll was brought for fitting the character and some other just came along because they where nice to have.

:sweat

17. Complete is when you're through with buying more dolls; when you're fully satisfied with your collection.

Sure, there will be a time when I say, "That's enough." There's only so much space I have to store/display my dolls, so yes, there will be an end to the acquiring stage. As far as how many I will ultimately end up with, I'm unsure. I know that I'm not done yet, and am definitely open to selling/trading away dolls for dolls I like better. Right now, that's not a chore I have to face, thankfully.

Realistic? Be financially wise -- don't go into debt for dolls/doll accessories!

The process of deciding on the doll's name/character starts when I've decided to make a purchase.

18. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      For me? I haven't the slightest clue. Unfortunately, I don't think my collection will ever be "complete." Probably when I reach the point where I say, "Alright, no more!"

There will probably come a time, yes. I know I want a certain amount, but as to what that amount is, I've never really sat down and thought it out.

I know I probably won't sell any of my dolls. I'm too much of a hoarder (in the general, not the specific sense) for that. I paid money for them, I worked the make them mine, I'm not giving them up. I still don't know how many that might be, though.

Only get the dolls whose molds I really want, or whose characters are really important to me.

Yes, to both. Two of my dolls were already characters, and the other three developed over time.

19. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

&#12288;If you mean no more doll-buying, I don`t think a complete collection would exist. For me, a complete collection is maybe owning heads of similar molds (i.e. F-16, Old F-28, School A, Sasha, Masha, Kaelin Etc.). But that is only a "portion" of what complete could be.

I find that answer a no. There`s always new companies with new heads and bodies that tempt me more.

At this time right now considering the limited space I own, approx. 30 dolls is my limit. However, I`ve bought and sold dolls because they didn`t fit my family well, and am always looking for replacements. Over a hundred dolls will be pushing it.

Get larger dolls. I have a dozen Yo-SD`s, and I need bigger guys to balance them out.

Some are, some aren`t. My FCS dolls so far had characters, but I`m more of a buy at the spur of the moment person.

20. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      I think it's a set of characters but new characters always come up out of the blue so you wouldn't really know when you've got the "complete" collection.

Mostly likely I will not, I'd probably lighten up on craving the dolls and instead just buy a lot of clothes but who knows, maybe I'll grow up and find another interest. *Lies*

I'd like to keep it under 7 but there's always new molds out there that I'll like. I think if I couldn't bond with a doll, I'd try to see if modding would help but if not I'll trade them off.

Be completely happy with a face up.

My first had a personality all thought out but slowly developed his own in time. I like to make them beforehand and see how off-base they get.